Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Cassa posted:

So friends are dragging me into this, and I don't mind as Yu Jing look pretty cool.

Any good advice for new players? I've played a bunch of other wargames, but nothing quite this small scale.

Pierzak's advice is solid. Before playing any 'proper' games where you use armies custom built to a point value, play some set games with increasing number and gradual introduction of special rules. Infinity has a lot of 'secret' info in full size games, so the first few times you play with, say, Camouflage models, whilst still learning the rules, it's better to just be open about that stuff.

Example of teaching a friend Infinity recently:
- Game(s) of 3 identical models per side, move/shoot/dodge, tried to get order sequence, counting orders and cover/range bands taught. I threw in Guts Checks here as its so easy to forget otherwise.
- Game(s) of 5 identical models, same as before, except one model has a shotgun, one has a sniper rifle (or whatever else)
- Game(s) as before, introduce all the other 'Common Skills', ie actions any model in the game can do. This includes things like Jump, Climb, Cautious Movement and Suppression Fire.
- Game(s) as before, using actual profiles of different unit types. Start to introduce the complex skills (notably camouflage, visors, smoke, AD models, etc) at a rate of one new skill per game.

You can speed the process up if you/your friends are really apt at learning new rules or just super read into how games systems work, but it's generally better to go slow, Infinity is loving complex. Get a good grasp of how an Order plays out simultaneously, what makes Normal vs Face to Face rolls, and how to resolve AROs first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Great advice all around. I'll definitely try and get some smaller more intro type games in before jumping in to the deep end, and with some proxies/borrowed stuff instead of my usual method of buying big and then trying the mechanics.

The YJ heavy infantry look super cool too, especially the Hsien and Invincible type soldiers, but there lots to be said for sneaky stabby types.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Sneaky stabby types should be in every Yu Jing list, the trick is learning that a little goes a long way, and waiting until your opponent is invested in fighting your heavier stuff before popping them.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Pierzak posted:

ed: Also, Micro Art Studio is about to launch their new Kickstarter (later today?) for Infinity terrain. They sent me some samples from the new stuff and I can confirm they improved their designs a lot. Plus they've got new poo poo like resin cars and mats in 1' tiles.

ed2: MAS KS is live.

I would probably pledge to this if I didn't have to get the tiles.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

I would probably pledge to this if I didn't have to get the tiles.

Just wait until non-tile stretch goals hit (I know they have other new stuff we haven't seen yet, like HDF multi-layer walls as a cheaper/better alternative to their resin ones). The mat is great if you want a non-standard size (tile borders are quite noticeable though so premeasuring is an issue), but could really use a few extra tiles for variety and I guess that's where those sets come in.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Cassa posted:

Great advice all around. I'll definitely try and get some smaller more intro type games in before jumping in to the deep end, and with some proxies/borrowed stuff instead of my usual method of buying big and then trying the mechanics.

The YJ heavy infantry look super cool too, especially the Hsien and Invincible type soldiers, but there lots to be said for sneaky stabby types.

Welcome, and keep it up! Infinity doesn't come easy, but most of its lessons are universal. You'll be using the strategies and techniques from those smaller intro games for the rest of your career.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Just wait until non-tile stretch goals hit (I know they have other new stuff we haven't seen yet, like HDF multi-layer walls as a cheaper/better alternative to their resin ones). The mat is great if you want a non-standard size (tile borders are quite noticeable though so premeasuring is an issue), but could really use a few extra tiles for variety and I guess that's where those sets come in.

I am definitely keeping an eye on this for when it reaches the add-ons of crates and boxes, their ones look really good. Does anyone have experience playing on their HDF terrain though? I worry it might be impractically light, like the Icestorm CB card stuff that jumps around the table if you brush against it.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
We played our first "ITS" event today. 200 pts, three missions. Only four players, but that's 4/7 of our Infinity population, so we're pretty happy! :v:

Made some good lessons regarding play style and decisions vs link teams. One of my list was a shasvastii heavy list for annihilation and quadrant control and I liked it a lot.

Pierzak: what are the benefits of going shasvasti sectorial vs just shas heavy vanilla? I'm not impressed by the link teams (and I don't own or want gwailos). Is the added AVA for q-drones, speculo and the skirmishers worth it?

E: I made a list

Combined Army - Shasvasti-heavy (299/300 | 5/6)

Group #1 | 10 Models | 10 0 0

Malignos Observer | Forward Observer, Antipersonnel Mines, Combi Rifle, Pistol / Knife (36)
Malignos Hacker | Hacker, EI Assault Hacking Device, Antipersonnel Mines, Combi Rifle, Pistol / Knife (0.5 | 41)
Speculo Killers Boarding Shotgun | Boarding Shotgun, Smoke Grenades, Pistol / Monofilament CCW, Knife (1 | 34)
The Shrouded Observer | Forward Observer, Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines, Pistol / Knife (25)
The Shrouded Observer | Forward Observer, Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines, Pistol / Knife (25)
Shasvastii Noctifers Missile Launcher | Missile Launcher, Assault Pistol / Knife (1.5 | 32)
Shasvastii Aswangs Lieutenant | Lieutenant, Combi Rifle, Adhesive Launcher, Pistol / Knife (1 | 25)
Ko Dali Combi | Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, Assault Pistol (2) / D-Charges, Knife (37)
Ikadron Batroids Baggage | Light Flamethrower (2), Flash Pulse, Pistol / Electric Pulse (9)
Ikadron Batroids Baggage | Light Flamethrower (2), Flash Pulse, Pistol / Electric Pulse (9)

Group #2 | 1 Models | 1 0 0

Q-Drone HMG | HMG / Electric Pulse (1 | 26)

Open in MayaNet

E2: swap one FO shrouded for a minelayer

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 21, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Genghis Cohen posted:

Does anyone have experience playing on their HDF terrain though? I worry it might be impractically light, like the Icestorm CB card stuff that jumps around the table if you brush against it.
Nah, it's just the cardboard stuff that does that. And maybe the hardfoam. HDF terrain is nice and heavy.

Not a viking posted:

Pierzak: what are the benefits of going shasvasti sectorial vs just shas heavy vanilla? I'm not impressed by the link teams (and I don't own or want gwailos). Is the added AVA for q-drones, speculo and the skirmishers worth it?
And maybe the assholery of taking camo Seed Soldiers linked with developed Hasht :v:

But yeah, if you don't want dual Speculos or 3 Shrouded that badly, it's better to go Shas-heavy vanilla :( Even dual Qs don't help that much.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 21, 2016

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Nah, it's just the cardboard stuff that does that. And maybe the hardfoam. HDF terrain is nice and heavy.

Wait, HDF is the wooden stuff. I meant hardfoam. D'oh.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Genghis Cohen posted:

Wait, HDF is the wooden stuff. I meant hardfoam. D'oh.

I got some of their new quad hardfoam crates and will try them out in a few days so I'll let you know if they move around.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Premeasuring is my main issue. People have told me it doesn't matter but just today I had a very clear mark on a mat that told me where 16 inches was in a BTV game.

Speaking of the game today, I have a question. Is the image below a legal move? The ref ruled as not because the book states that "you cannot place a template over friendly soldiers". Checking the wiki it says "if the player declares an Attack with a Template weapon that affects a friendly or Neutral trooper, then that shot is considered null" and nothing about the placement of the template over friendlies. In the image the template is over the friendly soldier but he would be unaffected because of the angle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I think that's just a consequence of bad translation. When they wrote "over" I think they meant, "you cannot place a template that affects friendly soldiers."

Anybody who'd try and stop you from doing that should be tarred and feathered.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Pretty much this. Templates in infinity are 3D-cones or balls that affect only things touching them.
Only exceptions are things like Smoke-clouds that are infinite height.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
The tiles look like a pita from a usability POV with keeping them lined up, and the big thing that you'd really want to mess with on a mat is the angle of the streets, which doesn't seem possible with anything square.

I suppose pre-measure is an issue, but frankly disallowing pre-measure is such a pathetic joke of a mechanic in a game where you start your turn by rubbing you tape measure all over the table to see impetuous moves, and everyone already knows the distances on the printed play mats, the terrain pieces they use all the time, and objective placement anyways. It basically only exists to screw new players or visiting players that don't have pre-knowedge of the terrain pool.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

Premeasuring is my main issue. People have told me it doesn't matter but just today I had a very clear mark on a mat that told me where 16 inches was in a BTV game.
Yes, if you don't like premeasuring then the new mats are poo poo, the tile borders really show.

Cyclomatic posted:

The tiles look like a pita from a usability POV with keeping them lined up, and the big thing that you'd really want to mess with on a mat is the angle of the streets, which doesn't seem possible with anything square.
That's not a problem. They're rubber on the bottom and don't slide at all (which is a huge PITA when you try to stack them for storage) and most tiles have the streets at a 45 degree angle and have no problem lining them up (and keeping them lined up)

tokenbrownguy posted:

Let's not bring AoS practices into a good game.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 22, 2016

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Let's not bring AoS practices into a good game.

I'd tar and feather an opponent if it forced them to reroll a bullshit crit. :v:

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Speaking of the game today, I have a question. Is the image below a legal move? The ref ruled as not because the book states that "you cannot place a template over friendly soldiers". Checking the wiki it says "if the player declares an Attack with a Template weapon that affects a friendly or Neutral trooper, then that shot is considered null" and nothing about the placement of the template over friendlies. In the image the template is over the friendly soldier but he would be unaffected because of the angle.

The intent is that unless very specifically stated otherwise, friendly fire is disallowed in all rules. The shot is clearly legal as friendly fire is not happening, as the rules of the game as a whole are overall highly consistent about it working thus way, and that consistency is a clear guide in parsing the rules here.

The rules are a translation of a rule set written by people who struggle with being detail oriented. They are sufficiently clear in general, but don't survive someone trying to be literal in a vacuum.

GW did miniatures games a disservice by writing loose and inconsistent rules, and encouraged a kangaroo court judging style. PP did miniatures games a disservice by writing clear rules in general, but encouraged autistic literal interpretation of rules that had clear intents.

Infinity makes an effort to be consistent and clear, but also expect players to not be autistic about figuring out the rules. If it the rules clearly work towards a particular way in nine other places, and the current rule is a little unclear but could be parsed in a way consistent with the nine other places... well duh.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Is anyone else having trouble accessing Army 5?

Played my first three games with my USARF this weekend and got resoundingly stomped on. They were all 100 point annihilation games for the slow grow league I'm in.

I think that ARM3 lead me to be a bit more brazen than I usually am, and the average BS scores let me down a bit. It's my fault for playing them like I would with my PanO, but still - not being able to make relatively easy armour saves kind of ended things for me prematurely. In the first game, the only saves I made were on my II grunt, and I only passed two out of three so he died anyway. This game was also against an Aquila Guard, so my two Foxtrots were a little bit boned - and I didn't really have anyone that would be able to go toe-to-toe in a gun fight with him.

Second game was against ALEPH and I faired a little bit better. I managed to kill a Dakini HMG bot with a speculative fire from my Grunt with LGL. That was a very satisfying feeling. The rest of the game was essentially us positioning each other and hoping the other would fall for a trap. We were both weary after being crushed 10-0 by the PanO guy, and neither of us really commited until turn 3. I had first turn so I tried to close the noose, but I hadn't anticipated his Deva with nanopulser. The Deva Lt with Nanopulser killed two of my guys on my turn and then went on a rampage on his turn. The final score was something like 6-1 for him.

Last game was against Haqq, and this guy is my usual opponent. He only plays Haqq, so he knows his units pretty well and his experience paid off big. I went second and thought I was being very clever with my Foxtrots. I had them sneak up towards his lines, walking through LoF of several of his units that were in suppression fire mode. He held his fire, until I was no longer in line of sight, and then I started placing mines. This worked well, and I took out a few units. Then he started to roll crits. And I started to fail armour saves that I should have made. And to add insult to injury, my paramedic killed three of my own units. This was probably the most memorable, and interesting game. We had a great back and forth - but when the dice turn against you in this game is it ever lethal.

It may seem like I'm blaming the dice, but I'm not. I pushed up too quickly and stretched my guys too thin. Though my ARM3 and Cover bonus should have made getting hit with rifle shots or light shot guns a little less lethal - it turned out that I couldn't roll a 8+ on a D20 to save my life! Lesson learned, be a little more conservative in games of annihilation. I'm really looking forward to playing some missions with actual objectives next month though.

I really like the USARF. They feel very different from my PanO, which I normally go for a more specialized style (with a couple beat sticks). We played without link teams, but next month the points level goes up to 150 and link team are in. I feel like using a 5 man link of grunts for the +3 BS is going to make them a lot more resilient in gun fights, and make them a lot more mobile due to an increase of orders efficiency. The Foxtrots are hands down the MVPs of my list so far, with a shout out to II grunt with his HFT.

Next month I'm not sure what to support my link with. If I go full five man with HMG and Sniper that's about half my points right there. I picked up the Desperados box on Friday, so I'm leaning towards running them for smoke. And then either the Devil Dog team, a Maverick FO, or stick with the Foxtrots but run them as FOs. I think the Paramedic is going to be retired - she killed enough of my people over the weekend. My USARF collection is limited to the Desperado's box, SWC box, and the army pack.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Cyclomatic posted:

I suppose pre-measure is an issue, but frankly disallowing pre-measure is such a pathetic joke of a mechanic in a game where you start your turn by rubbing you tape measure all over the table to see impetuous moves, and everyone already knows the distances on the printed play mats, the terrain pieces they use all the time, and objective placement anyways. It basically only exists to screw new players or visiting players that don't have pre-knowedge of the terrain pool.

If weapons had no range modifiers then I would say fine, get rid of them but forcing someone to break cover to ensure that +6 on a boarding shotgun is a great part of the game. Also I am a new player and have not felt screwed by it.

tokenbrownguy posted:

I think that's just a consequence of bad translation. When they wrote "over" I think they meant, "you cannot place a template that affects friendly soldiers."

Right, logically it should be fine but I was wondering if there had been some kind of official ruling on it. Fortunately this was not in one of my games.

Sir Teabag posted:

Is anyone else having trouble accessing Army 5?

Yes. Keep getting a 403.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Its down for maintenance.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hey dudes, I don't have time to play Infinity much so I want to sell off these mans. Not sure what I want for them to be honest, PM me or email me an offer. paint.vagrant@gmail.com (don't post in the thread) Paypal, US shipping only. I will split the lot into painted and unpainted groups, but thats it for parting out. Ive got a bunch of the tunguskan bases painted to match if anyone is interested in more bases for the painted stuff. I might be interested in some trades for warmachine legion or maybe star wars armada or something.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Got to play my first game today, just the basic starter armies, was lots of fun. Really dig the face to face mechanics and Yu Jing's armor values are awesome.

Definitely liked sniping his MSV l2 guy, not that it made a huge difference, dropping in and not scattering only to eat suppression fire was annoying. Having my Hsien lieutenant jump 4 inches and charge only to be burned to death was cool, if annoying.

I was destroyed pretty handily, but it's a cool, sensible system and I really wanna play it some more.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
ITS 2016 is out.

Original document:
http://download.infinitythegame.com/itsrules/2016/en/v1.0.pdf

Printer-friendly version with superfluour ornaments & poo poo cut out by me:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B957zKbO1rsvcHlueFdCbmQ3cG8/view?usp=sharing

CB's trying really hard to polish the turd known as the official classified deck. And the formatting changes (like labels for special rules/table configurations) are a hilarious wreck :allears:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't like the classified deck because I don't like the possibility of either getting objectives I can't do or feeling compelled to bring crappy specialists along just in case an objective requiring it comes up. (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, TRAUMA-DOC)

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
wait is the classified deck I just bought obsolete now?

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I don't like the classified deck because I don't like the possibility of either getting objectives I can't do or feeling compelled to bring crappy specialists along just in case an objective requiring it comes up. (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, TRAUMA-DOC)

It's the first month of my slow grow league and my grunt paramedic has killed FOUR of my own dudes in three games. It's okay though, because we have a list of Achievements and one of them is to kill your own model with a paramedic/doctor. The achievement is called Trauma Doc (and sadly you can only get it once).

I don't think I would mind the Highly Classified Deck as much if they were "drawn" before you drew up you list. So if you're going to a tournament, you get your player pack and it has a selection of say 3-4 Highly Classified missions that you can choose. I'm just not a big fan of random objectives.

E: I don't play Yu Jing (...yet), but I'm not a fan of the new Su Jian cyber doggies.

Sir Teabag fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 23, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

by.a.teammate posted:

wait is the classified deck I just bought obsolete now?

Nah, it's just actively clunkier than the 11-card fanmade one.

Also, new design strikes again, have a transformer cat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs-NPHiKXKc

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
Reading these missions I really wanna try Biotech vore, sounds like it must get pretty deadly and that link teams would be a huge plus too

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Now that I know it's a big cat instead of a dog, I still stand by my not being a huge fan.

This is the list I've been toying with for the second month of our slow grow league. The points level goes up to 150, and we're allowed to use link teams (and hacking, not that it matters for me). I've got three FO's as specialists (one fast, one infiltrating, and one slow), a link team, a biker gang, and a heavy infantry to run around my DZ taking care of infiltrators and AD troops. I'd have another relatively large batch of mini's to paint up again, but at least the month is a little longer!

USAriadna Ranger Force
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

Group 1 8 2 3
GRUNT Lieutenant Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 10)
GRUNT (Marksmanship LX) Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 18)
GRUNT HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 21)
GRUNT Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
GRUNT (Forward Observer) Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (11)
MAVERICK (Forward Observer) Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 19)
DESPERADO Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / 2 Heavy Pistols, AP CC Weapon. (11)
DESPERADO Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / 2 Heavy Pistols, AP CC Weapon. (11)
FOXTROT (Forward Observer) Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (18)
MARAUDER Rifle, Heavy Flamethrower / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (21)

3 SWC | 150 Points

Open with Army 5

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Deck stuff is dumb, robo-cat is good.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

The su jian looks really pretty, I hope it gets a statline/equipment upgrade to go along with it.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
The new Su-Jian is awesome and I hope IS stuff continues to get re-done. The thing I want the most out of Yu-Jing this year is a new starter and corresponding SWC box for its troopers.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
I would appreciate some feedback on this list pair. These are intended for ITS play, but I don't have any particular ITS missions in mind for them, just pairings against a range of list styles. I am somewhat limited by the models that I own, tho I could of course proxy to some extent.

Not sure how to go about making an Aleph list with 2 combat groups, so both have exactly 10 orders and share several common models. Are Marut lists any good? That seems like it might be fun.

Hacker Heavy
Aleph

Group 1 10 0 0
DEVA Lieutenant (G: Synchronized) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser+Devabot / Pistol, Knife. (27)
DEVABOT Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (4)
ASURA Hacker (Hacking Device Plus) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, AP CCW. (0.5 | 72)
NAGA Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 32)
LAMEDH Rebot Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (8)
DAKINI Tacbot Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse. (15)
ZAYIN Rebot HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)
SOPHOTECT Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (31)
YUDBOT Electric Pulse. (3)
DEVA (Multispectral Visor L2) Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 33)
MYRMIDON Chain Rifle, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (16)
NAGA MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 34)

4.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open with Army 5

Board Control
Aleph

Group 1 10 0 0
DEVA Lieutenant (G: Synchronized) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser+Devabot / Pistol, Knife. (27)
DEVABOT Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (4)
ASURA Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, AP CCW. (2 | 70)
MYRMIDON Chain Rifle, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (16)
THAMYRIS Hacker (Hacking Device) Marker, Nanopulser / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 25)
DASYU MULTI Sniper Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 42)
ZAYIN Rebot HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)
MYRMIDON Spitfire, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (1 | 31)
SOPHOTECT Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (31)
DAKINI Tacbot Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse. (13)
DAKINI Tacbot Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse. (15)

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open with Army 5

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
So in my Haqqislam starter box i had a duplicate of a Ghulam instead of two different ones, emailed Corvus and within a week they've sent me a replacement, pretty damm impressive i gotta say.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

by.a.teammate posted:

So in my Haqqislam starter box i had a duplicate of a Ghulam instead of two different ones, emailed Corvus and within a week they've sent me a replacement, pretty damm impressive i gotta say.

I had the same experience with an Akalis Commando being in my starter kit instead of an Orc Trooper. It took a bit longer than a week for the Orc model to arrive, but I was impressed none the less. And all things considered, I've gotten a lot more utility out of my second commando than my Orc. :P

Acceptableloss posted:

I would appreciate some feedback on this list pair. These are intended for ITS play, but I don't have any particular ITS missions in mind for them, just pairings against a range of list styles. I am somewhat limited by the models that I own, tho I could of course proxy to some extent.

Not sure how to go about making an Aleph list with 2 combat groups, so both have exactly 10 orders and share several common models. Are Marut lists any good? That seems like it might be fun.

Hacker Heavy

Board Control

ALEPH are a faction I've only encountered twice, so I'm not familiar with all of your units. It seems like both lists have a good amount of specialists. I don't think you need the Dakini paramedic since both lists have a Sophotect with Yudbots (in the second one I would try and find a way to get a second Yudbot for the Soph again). Other than that they both look pretty decent without knowing exactly what mission you would be playing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
What exactly is the use case for ORCs? A dozen more points gets me an Aquila with better stats and MSV3, or a few more points than that for a Swiss Guard. Those things do stuff, instead of sit there and be the most vanilla HI.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Sir Teabag posted:

ALEPH are a faction I've only encountered twice, so I'm not familiar with all of your units. It seems like both lists have a good amount of specialists. I don't think you need the Dakini paramedic since both lists have a Sophotect with Yudbots (in the second one I would try and find a way to get a second Yudbot for the Soph again). Other than that they both look pretty decent without knowing exactly what mission you would be playing.

The Dakini paramedic was intended to just be another specialist. It only costs 2 more points than the base combi rifle profile. Do paramedics not count for ITS specialists?

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

What exactly is the use case for ORCs? A dozen more points gets me an Aquila with better stats and MSV3, or a few more points than that for a Swiss Guard. Those things do stuff, instead of sit there and be the most vanilla HI.

I only ever bust mine out when I want to fit in a decent 40 point HI and am limited in my models. Like, if I'm just whipping up a list on my phone at the LGS and go "meh, good enough".
I think I've only used him in maybe two or three non-introductory games. He's pretty good to use if you're teaching a new player and don't want to overwhelm them with special rules? Ha.

Acceptableloss posted:

The Dakini paramedic was intended to just be another specialist. It only costs 2 more points than the base combi rifle profile. Do paramedics not count for ITS specialists?

They do count as specialists. I just thought that with ten models, you may want to give the Sophotect more ways to keep your guys in the fight. The Paramedic is only good for healing models with W and not STR, and since half your models are remote or bots of some kind - and the Sophotect being a doctor and engineer - the extra yudbot just increases your chances of actually healing your guys that much more. She would be much better since it's a WIP check with her versus a PH -3 with the paramedic bot.

This was just a suggestion for the second list, which you said was more for board control anyway. You've already got a few button pushers in that list, so I think you could stand to run the Dakini as a regular Tacbot and use your Sophotect to keep your heavy hitters/ARO pieces in the game.

I play PanO and USARF, so take it with a grain of salt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Sir Teabag posted:

They do count as specialists. I just thought that with ten models, you may want to give the Sophotect more ways to keep your guys in the fight. The Paramedic is only good for healing models with W and not STR, and since half your models are remote or bots of some kind - and the Sophotect being a doctor and engineer - the extra yudbot just increases your chances of actually healing your guys that much more. She would be much better since it's a WIP check with her versus a PH -3 with the paramedic bot.

This was just a suggestion for the second list, which you said was more for board control anyway. You've already got a few button pushers in that list, so I think you could stand to run the Dakini as a regular Tacbot and use your Sophotect to keep your heavy hitters/ARO pieces in the game.

I play PanO and USARF, so take it with a grain of salt!

Oh you were suggesting as a way to squeeze another yudbot in. I thought you were saying that the paramedic was pointless.

• Locked thread