Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked the first four episodes of this season (yes, even the opener). This was just completely incoherent, a blender of unconnected storylines and (along with the Babylon episodes) very uncomfortable conservative paranoia taken as fact. And the ending was such a middle finger I have to wonder if Carter made this miniseries with the knowledge that Fox already approved a second miniseries.

I did like that the episode took five minutes to poo poo on Reyes. I laughed that Scully didn't even recognize her on the phone despite working with her for two years and her being the person who delivered BABY WILLIAM. No wonder Robert Patrick turned down an appearance, if Doggett was going to have been with Reyes.

Automatic Slim posted:

Didn't that character get killed off between the 2nd & 3rd season?

I remember the 2nd season of millennium being really good television. The 3rd season was dogshit. IIRC Carter took charge of the 3rd season to save the show from flagging ratings. Didn't work.

This episode actually reminded me of a much-worse remake of the Millennium S2 finale.

Gobbeldygook posted:

That's no obstacle. Nicholas Lea played a MOTW in season 1 before he was cast as Krychek.

When the guy sent by CSM broke into Mulder's apartment, for a split second I thought it was Krycek. Then when Agent Miller appeared over Mulder with the handkerchief over half his face, I again thought it was Krycek. At least he got a photo of him in the opening scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I mean this one was pretty bad but not even remotely comparable to last week, which was literally the worst piece of poo poo I've ever seen, so in conclusion, this one was pretty bad.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
^^ what this guy said.

edit: it is really annoying that the Alex Jones brigade is given credence but Muslims are still 24 - style fodder.

Chairman Capone posted:

No wonder Robert Patrick turned down an appearance, if Doggett was going to have been with Reyes.

Robert Patrick was the one who kept insisting on there being some kind of romance with Reyes, if I remember correctly.

Honestly, I thought what they did with her was the most genuinely X-Files bit of the whole episode. I'm hoping they bring her back. Then again, I never flat out hated her with a frothing vengeance to begin with, so take that as you will.

edit 2: actually, it really can't be said enough how irritating it is to have the Islamiphobe angle played when the lovely conspiracy theorists get a fair shake. True, they 'debunked' that anti-vaxxer poo poo partway through the episode, but this is two episodes in a row where I actually felt myself gritting my teeth. And in the last one they never bothered to do anything interesting with the 'suicide bomber' thing which, in spite of how tonedeaf the X-Files could be in the old days, seems like something they at least would have tried.

I'm with everyone else, re: don't let Carter write more episodes. He's turning it into some bizarro infowars paradise, and he's not even being that coherent about it. Ugh, ffuucckdljkas

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 23, 2016

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Chris Carter posted:

I think fans certainly want more. The reaction on Twitter has been—I don't think confused, but they certainly want more. Is there anything you want to say to people who may not be happy with a cliffhanger ending?
I think that hardcore fans of the show just expect nothing less than this and I think—I hope—people aren't confused. I hope that it was not a confusing ending. If it was perplexing or alarming, I would prefer it to be that.

:psyduck:

Ignis fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 23, 2016

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

oh for gently caress's sake

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chris Carter needs to be put on some meds.

edit the episode reminded me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV9gRFv5Kgc

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The end came so far off the rails that I"m questioning if there even were rails in the first place

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Give Chris Carter the premiere and a mid-season episode next series and let Glenn Morgan, Darren Morgan, and Vince Gilligan fill out the rest. If you can't get Vince get Ben Edlund or one of the better Supernatural writers to chip in.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The X-Files doesn't have the scope to portray a world-ending plague like this. It's always been about "our" world and all the strange and conspiracy-level poo poo happens in the shadows. It's impossible to come back from a devastating plague, even if the aliens suddenly release a fine STEM CELL mist in the atmosphere that instantly cures everyone. It also doesn't have the budget to pull off portraying that scenario. The Alex Jones guy was an okay way to show it, but then it was shown as rush-hour levels of traffic at night (except no one has gas anymore, right?). I'm not against the show culminating decades of conspiracies into a near-extinction-level event if it means the plot is coherent and it has a satisfying ending, but let's face it, that's not going to happen with Chris Carter in the driver's seat.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That was terrible.

Chris Carter watched Utopia and said "I can do that."

No you can't.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

that's not going to happen with Chris Carter in the driver's seat.

you callin duane berry a liar???

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.
Chris Carter hates us all.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
This episode makes me want Lance Henriksen back.

Then again everything makes me want Lance Henriksen back.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
If you want to save Mulder and Scully, call 180 555-5551.

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

Sash! posted:

The end came so far off the rails that I"m questioning if there even were rails in the first place

I know I was in high school and college when the show originally aired, so from a very different mindset, but the subtlety and sincerity about the insane topics they presented is what I loved about the show. Sully always had some semi-plausible explanation for Mulder myths and folklore. They felt human, you felt it was it might be possible, you wanted to believe.

These last 6 episodes were something entirely different. The kind of fan service, nostalgic cash grab garbage that so offensively awful I find myself apologizing to others for having to watch it with me. Everyone's a giant cartoon of themselves, no heart, no soul, and definitely no subtelty. I've read fan-fic with more tightly wound plot lines. It's not even that it's a bad X-files episode, it's just bad TV.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
More like Pootopia.

E: also, if you haven't seen Utopia, watch it. It totally blows this poo poo out of the water.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

So the baby that they kept talking about... Nothing?

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Uh, STEM CELLS! (from a 15 year old kid?)

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

They'll have to track him down in order to get his stem cells to save Mulder.

Apparently they're going to do this while the world is going all Captain Trips, unless Scully's plasma or whatever is enough to cure everyone. Well, except Mulder.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

That episode was like a parody of an X-Files episode that they forgot to put jokes into. What the gently caress.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Now I know how Charlie Brown felt when he tried to kick the football.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

BJPaskoff posted:

The X-Files doesn't have the scope to portray a world-ending plague like this. It's always been about "our" world and all the strange and conspiracy-level poo poo happens in the shadows. It's impossible to come back from a devastating plague, even if the aliens suddenly release a fine STEM CELL mist in the atmosphere that instantly cures everyone. It also doesn't have the budget to pull off portraying that scenario. The Alex Jones guy was an okay way to show it, but then it was shown as rush-hour levels of traffic at night (except no one has gas anymore, right?). I'm not against the show culminating decades of conspiracies into a near-extinction-level event if it means the plot is coherent and it has a satisfying ending, but let's face it, that's not going to happen with Chris Carter in the driver's seat.

Yeah, there's talk of more seasons but there's no way to walk back the show now after the Beneath the Planet of the Apes style ending. What would future episodes even cover? Can you really see them with a new season doing Freak of the Week style episodes after that finale?

"Hey Scully, let's head off to BFE to look for Bigfoot and oh by the way I wonder how the WHOLE WORLD is doing after that whole 'all of humanity's immune systems shut down at the same time and we saved them with alien DNA' thing happened awhile back?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Scully gives everyone Williams Stem Cells.

"Hmm. Well that was weird! Anyway, what's this new case?"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That was a cool episode and you're all a bunch of babies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

what was cool about it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My favorite part was the part where a bunch of self-entitled whiny people didn't get exactly what they wanted out of a TV show so they lost their poo poo about it and complained online.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

hmm interesting. what do you think about stem cells and chemtrails?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well you know the decade we all spent wondering why the mytharc went wrong? Was it extending the show past its lifetime, dealing with a main cast that was looking to do other things or a lack of general foresight? Nah it was Carter. I want another mini series but they have to reign him in.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Old Boot posted:

edit 2: actually, it really can't be said enough how irritating it is to have the Islamiphobe angle played when the lovely conspiracy theorists get a fair shake. True, they 'debunked' that anti-vaxxer poo poo partway through the episode, but this is two episodes in a row where I actually felt myself gritting my teeth. And in the last one they never bothered to do anything interesting with the 'suicide bomber' thing which, in spite of how tonedeaf the X-Files could be in the old days, seems like something they at least would have tried.

I'm with everyone else, re: don't let Carter write more episodes. He's turning it into some bizarro infowars paradise, and he's not even being that coherent about it. Ugh, ffuucckdljkas

Definitely this. Like you, I kept hoping that "Babylon" would do something interesting. Like maybe the two Muslims at the beginning were framed for the explosion (aliens did it!?), and the episode could have some thoughtful discussion about people's fears, biases, and distrusts. But nope. And now the finale had fear-mongering about vaccines and chemtrails. Plus, the Glenn Beck guy is a heroic figure who knows the truth and is exposing conspiracies?

The original run of the show definitely wallowed in conspiracy theories, but always in a somewhat harmless way (or at least that's what it seemed like). This feels different. I enjoyed episodes 2-4, but if there are any more new X-Files episodes, I might have to avoid the Chris Carter ones.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Joel McHale's character was clearly an exaggerating conspiracy nut but some of his paranoia led people to the truth if you filtered through his aggrandizing bullshit like the chemtrails comment, which Scully's plot had already disproven. If you believe in every conspiracy you're bound to hit a few. He's a much further over the top Mulder and was always supposed to be.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Also man Carter loves getting Mulder injured or sick as hell in finales. He's a man who loves some sweaty Duchovny.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Moulder wakes up from his dream and realizes he's sick!!! but OK!!!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Moulder wakes up from his dream and realizes he's sick!!! but OK!!!

hopefully he kicks a CGI version of Scully in the face again.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

CSM: This is completely unnecessary, FOX

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Regarding Babylon, I was hoping those two middle eastern dudes were holding hands because they were going to get married in Texas and were going to have to wade through a crowd of protesters. Then there would an Ifrit or a Marid or literally anything else than what happened.

I didn't hate the finale as much as I thought I would but it was pretty dumb. I was really rolling my eyes at "amplify my DNA." Having the Syndicate's plan to be global depopulation to preserve humanity but make them selves the elite in the process could be a good plot but it sure wasn't handled well.

Generally I think the X-Files is best when it's focused on telling small scale stories, preferably in sort of isolated community.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
what the hell was that

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Shuffle posted:

what the hell was that

ALIEN D N A

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Acer Pilot posted:

ALIEN D N A

rewatch the finale and take a shot every time someone says this

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Hahaha I just realized this is why Scully will "never die" because her DNA will live on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

What the hell did I just watch? What a huge mess. Great idea to cram a totally new conspiracy in 90 minutes that would have needed itself 6 episodes at least to be somewhat coherent and have some dramatic weight. This whole X-files revival thing just came off as a poorly thought out money grab. Not that continuing a show after a total apocalypse is a new thing in the Chris Carter universe, but that lead to a crap season.

• Locked thread