Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

pangstrom posted:

This is goon-y and I'm sure the legality varies by area but a quadcopter always seemed like the perfect solution, if you have somebody willing to fly it or a fancy-ish one that will stay in a stable position on its own.

That sounds :awesome: but probably a bit pricey for what is meant to be a bit of fun. The only thing with camera phones is how long they record for. I wonder what the cheapest one that does 720 HD and takes an SD card is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Something with a high frame rate might be good if you want to create slo-mo replays of Fat Rob falling over and eating a handful of rubber pellets.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Something with a high frame rate might be good if you want to create slo-mo replays of Fat Rob falling over and eating a handful of rubber pellets.

I do. How is fps measured on phones? And what about post production - any good programmes for adding music, explosions etc

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Breath Ray posted:

I do. How is fps measured on phones? And what about post production - any good programmes for adding music, explosions etc

Not good and windows movie maker should do that.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
No I mean what phone specs are relevant to fps?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You'd have to look at the camera itself, they'll mostly say like "records 720x960 24fps." Or something. That's 24fps and isn't ideal for slow mo or any real effects usage. But it'll work for just video.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Also if you see p or i like 1080i or 720p keep in mind that p essentially means it's an actual frame. I means integrated which essentially takes two frames and splices them to make it seem more fluid. You'll notice this more if you slow the video and eh and it's more common with 1080 for I, and 720p is the norm.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Ah so you're saying 720p has more individual frames than 1080i.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Breath Ray posted:

I think it would be tricky to get a panorama from the sidelines so I'll probably go with one at the end. I'm probably being a bit dim but what is the advantage of a static gopro over a camera phone?

Longer battery life, better image quality, wider angle gives more coverage if you have to clamp it to something close to the field, more reliable clamps that can be hooked to just about anything, more durable/weatherproof, people won't ridicule you once they see your pink unicorn phone case, can be turned on/off remotely, high frame rate recording options (120fps I think?).

Wearing it while playing is laughable.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Wow, nice comeback! So I suppose my next question is what are my gopro option at the £150 mark?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

Ah so you're saying 720p has more individual frames than 1080i.

Essentially it's about how it's scanned. You can see the differences and read more about it here: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/1080p-vs-1080i-whats-the-difference/

And you can easily get a gopro for 150.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Soulex posted:

Essentially it's about how it's scanned. You can see the differences and read more about it here: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/1080p-vs-1080i-whats-the-difference/

And you can easily get a gopro for 150.

Yes I was imagining a great big thing but they are tiny. Just need to decide between a hero+ or a hero session now. Wonder which is better for non POV...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The have adjustments that they call FOV I believe. The higher the number the wider the shot

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Vinestalk posted:

Wearing it while playing is laughable.

Am I the only person who immediately flashed to this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-s8OiVVCm0

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think the truly sad thing is that everyone who wears one while playing thinks they will look exactly like that.

Breath Ray posted:

Yes I was imagining a great big thing but they are tiny. Just need to decide between a hero+ or a hero session now. Wonder which is better for non POV...

They're both the same, in my opinion. Unless you're doing advanced poo poo with 4K or doing your own color balancing in protune mode, then getting a + is kind of gratuitous.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'd wear one of those cameras if it didn't do sound so nobody would hear me politely ask the guy I'm marking if we can make a gentleman's agreement to only walk for the remainder of the game.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

iajanus posted:

Am I the only person who immediately flashed to this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-s8OiVVCm0

I thought of the hapanese binocular football one

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

iajanus posted:

I'd wear one of those cameras if it didn't do sound so nobody would hear me politely ask the guy I'm marking if we can make a gentleman's agreement to only walk for the remainder of the game.

I always just edit that stuff out

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
I'm kind of surprised with parents' obsessiveness of youth sports there aren't like complete packages with 10 gopro cameras, basic instructions of the best angles, and a nifty iOS app that let you automatically capture every goal your 6 year old scores from 10 angles and then uploads it to youtube complete with dubstep music and lens flare effects.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

mushi posted:

I'm kind of surprised with parents' obsessiveness of youth sports there aren't like complete packages with 10 gopro cameras, basic instructions of the best angles, and a nifty iOS app that let you automatically capture every goal your 6 year old scores from 10 angles and then uploads it to youtube complete with dubstep music and lens flare effects.

Because that's how I try to make side money.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

Because that's how I try to make side money.

By videotaping other people's children...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Not like I'm gonna give them a signed shirt or anything

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Lol that was pretty good, you're on a roll, Soulex

birds
Jun 28, 2008

i bought a ball recently and want to start playing, will probably pick up some boots soon. my university has a pick up group which i have joined but i'm a little intimidated to show up until i develop some skills. so far me and my roommate just go to the park and just kick the ball around but are there any practice drills that i can work on to get better on my own kinda like around the world or horse for basketball?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Honestly just go to the pick up group. The best way you'll learn is getting thrown right the gently caress in, and people will be patient and work with you (most of the time) . You'll also learn a lot more skills a lot faster than just practicing by yourself or with a friend.

However, in before everyone else. Do sprints till you puke. Kick a ball against the wall to practice passing and catching, also one touch passes. Sprint some more uphill until you puke.

But practice with that pick up group. It'll do you much better.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
If you've never played before at any level, juggling or keep-ups, or whatever regional term you use for keeping a ball in the air by kicking it to yourself repeatedly. Practice that poo poo every day, it will help your first touch a lot. Look up drills for kids especially if you find yourself getting frustrated. For example, allowing yourself a bounce between kicks will be easier when you just start. Other than that, dribbling drills till the cows come home. Set up some cones in a staggered pattern and practice going around them using your dominant foot, your weak foot, then both feet.

Besides that, I notice that people who have never played have trouble generating a strong shot. Look up proper technique for power shots and placement shots online or ask a friend who knows the basics to help you and just practice smashing a ball against the wall with some semblance of control. It's actually pretty counter-intuitive for folks that haven't practiced really swinging and getting their hips out of their own way and landing on their shooting foot.

edit: I want to add you should really just do what you enjoy and keep the experience fun. You won't get better or stick with it if you get frustrated and just hate practicing by yourself too. Just jumping into playing pick-up is a great idea and people are generally understanding and after college-age most of us are just happy to have an excuse to chase a ball around knowing that we're out of shape and poo poo at the game.

mushi fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 22, 2016

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
It only takes one toxic person to really ruin the fun for new players in pickups. If you are a new adult you need to have thick skin from most of the pickups I've seen.

Practice shooting. Practice kicking it hard. Passing is a soft shot. That will develop good form quicker than passing and has more pressure on you than gently rolling it back and forth between a friend.

New people that start playing pickups should pass as soon as you get the ball and pass it to closest open person. Everyone will be thrilled. Does it matter if you have space in front of you? No, pass it now. What if the wide open guy is only 10 feet away? Pass it, now.
If you wait for people to defend you, you will make a bad pass. If kick it downfield far enough the ball has to travel over waist high you will make a bad pass. People will avoid passing you the ball. So the faster you get rid of it to an open team mate the more time you will have with the ball because people will pass it to you.
Otherwise the only way you will get the ball is by stealing it from the other team. If you are an adult new to soccer dribbling should be the last thing on your mind until you can dribble with your head up.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

If you're new and you are going to play pickup, and its a pickup game you may return to next week and thus want to have a reputation as something other than useless, learn to defend. And do it, if you lose the ball you shouldn't get frustrated and stand there thinking about how bad you are, you should be sprinting as fast as possible to help your team get the ball back. You should also be doing this if someone else lost the ball. Square up , move toward attackers instead of waiting for them to move toward you, put pressure on them. Get ready for them to try and go around you.

Some players are just really loving fast, if you're defending one of those point your body toward the goal as if it's an inevitability that he's going to go past you with the ball, and you're just getting ready to start sprinting with him - almost as if you're looking over your shoulder at the oncoming attacker, but toes are pointed the direction the attacker is heading. Some players are crafty (they handle the ball well and will make you look silly and roll your ankles) - for those, pretend there's an arrow coming straight out of their chest - wherever that arrow is pointing is 95% of the time the direction they're going, don't get tricked by their feet or the ball doing strange things.

Learning to defend well is (imo) easier than learning to attack well, and in a lot of pickup games the "good" players are too "good" to be bothered defending, so there's often great opportunity for a new guy who is willing to do some work to make a good impact whether or not you understand how to shoot properly or whatnot.

As for training, like everyone else said, sprint until you are dead and then continue to sprint. If you're often training with a partner, do suicide sprints next to them and send one touch passes back and forth, but make sure you keep the pace as fast as you can. Cosmicjim is right in saying that you want to pass the ball to an open teammate as fast as possible if you're new to the game, which isn't so hard to learn when you're standing still, but a one touch pass on target when you're sprinting at full tilt is a different feeling - so passing back and forth while sprinting suicides will help you get a feel for that.

Remember to lock your ankle when you want to strike the ball hard (shots, crosses, longer passing), noodle ankles will soak up any power coming from your hips/thighs/tummy. If you're shooting on your laces, or trying to learn, remember to try and put your knee over the ball when you strike it.

But as a lifetime defensive mid, learn to defend, everyone will love you for crushing that tiny latino kid that keeps nutmegging them and chipping the keeper.

black.lion fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 22, 2016

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
He's not trying out for a team or even doing rec league stuff. Doing wind sprints and training sessions is way overkill.

birds posted:

i bought a ball recently and want to start playing, will probably pick up some boots soon. my university has a pick up group which i have joined but i'm a little intimidated to show up until i develop some skills. so far me and my roommate just go to the park and just kick the ball around but are there any practice drills that i can work on to get better on my own kinda like around the world or horse for basketball?

It's pickup. Just go and have fun. Anything beyond that is tryhard bullshit. Pass the ball when you get it and you don't have an open shot. Shoot the ball when you have an open shot. On defense, put yourself between your man and the goal. On offense, run into open space and make sure there is an open avenue between you and the person with the ball. That is literally it.

The only drills you need are spending time passing a ball with people and kicking a ball at a goal. Pickup is the best opportunity to do both those things.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I mean he said he and his roommate are already going out and "kicking a ball around" they may as well do some sprinting while they're at it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

black.lion posted:

Cosmicjim is right in saying that you want to pass the ball to an open teammate as fast as possible if you're new to the game, which isn't so hard to learn when you're standing still, but a one touch pass on target when you're sprinting at full tilt is a different feeling - so passing back and forth while sprinting suicides will help you get a feel for that.

I don't think someone that is new should even be trying to one touch pass. Trap it then pass it 100% of the time. Pickup value is screwing up as little as possible.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
All these posts about video cameras just to watch Craig lose his hair in realtime

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
he's also asking for drills/games he can do by himself, outside of pick-up and playing with a friend like around the world or horse (but horse requires a partner).

I honestly can't think of any exercises like those two other than juggling. There's some basic passing drills if you have a buddy and some cones, but honestly if you're just bored and want something to work on in between playing, juggling, footwork drills like toe-touches and kicking a ball against a wall is really all there is.

Get a size 1 ball and practice dribbling around the house maybe?

Also for advice for people who have never played and want to be useful by defending, please please please learn the difference between a foul and clean contact when contesting for the ball I don't know how else to describe this, but I'm guessing part of the reason for the advice of "never play co-ed" in this thread is based on all of us seeing or being the victim of someone who is well-intentioned but just frankly bad and new. Their idea of defense is to swing as hard as they can at a ball, or running super hard at a ball they don't have possession over, leading to dangerous situations. Honestly I don't know how to teach folks this principle without being a huge rear end in a top hat, but it's really not loving cool to run up and kick someone if you don't know what you're doing, or worse, crash into someone who is off balance or twisting.

I've tried to explain it to some of my friends as imagining it like basketball, you can't just run up and swing at them attempting to punch the ball away or trip them if they get by you, so be ready to poke the ball away rather than swinging at it.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Okay well I don't know people are telling him to do keepy-ups to improve his first touch, figured one touch passing was on that level but whaaatev

mushi posted:

please please please learn the difference between a foul and clean contact when contesting for the ball

This is also good advice

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, not disagreeing and this is from the other side of the wall but the worst people to play with aren't the guys who don't know the rules, they're the guys who don't know the rules (or have a reality-distorting experience every time they are jostled or fall down) but sure think they do!

Pass on the sprints, agree on the picking up defending more easily, also agree with the pass-first approach if you don't know what you're doing. Like literally think "if the ball comes to me now where am I going to send it" at all times, with an eye towards progressing past that eventually. It's a hard game but it's just a game.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 23, 2016

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Guys in my league love to run over women. It's a bit nuts, they almost go in harder than they would against a guy. We had a torn MCL from it.

I'll save posters the time:

NEVER PLAY CO-ED

THIS IS THE BEST I CAN DO I AM CO-ED QUALITY

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Had a late look in traffic to tie our playoff game and toe-poked it wide on my sprained big toe, which was fun.

We lost.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
the co-ed league i play in has a strict no slide tackling and all 50/50 balls go to women. it's waaaay more relaxing and chill than my men's leagues where people go balls out and lunge for every ball.

if i wanted to avoid injury, i'd play co-ed all day

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

birds posted:

If you want to work on ball skills google coerver 7 minute drill. There are some videos that explain it decently well. Most of the advice has been pretty decent but I'm of the mind with Vinestalk in that I don't really see the point of going out and sprinting your rear end off to get better for pickup games. As several said the most immediate impact you are going to have on a pickup game is learning to play solid defense as most people cant be arsed to run more than 10 yards if they aren't trying to score a goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
We've probably given so much 'advice' that he'll just give up on the whole thing...

But my drill input is as simple as this:
- Get as comfortable with a ball at your feet as you can. Dribble around your furniture, down to the shop and back, through the park... Its an alien concept to use your feet to control something, yet its the single concept that makes the game fun. Kick it against a wall, control as best you can, then bounce it off again.

During games:
- Help your team out in defence by marking a man, and keeping yourself between him and your goal at all times, especially if he has the ball. You don't even have to try and tackle, just be an obstacle.
- Make yourself available for a pass by using small movements to create an unbroken (short) straight line between you and the man in possession. Think (in advance) about who you will pass to next if you get the ball, and when you do (i) trap it, (ii) look at your pass option, and if its clear (iii) use the side of your foot to pass it to that person. If that option is blocked off then pick something else and repeat.

You can see that the one simple drill will enable you to do everything you need in possession for your first few games that is a mental skill. If you somehow end up in front of goal, just try and 'pass' it towards the corner.