Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:golfclap:

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
What are some good organisations that work with/for refugees that I can donate to?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Police dismiss claims Baby Asha deliberately hurt by mother in order to leave Nauru

Allegations baby Asha was deliberately harmed by her mother as a way to get the family off Nauru and into Australia have been refuted by medical records and dismissed by police and advocates.

The suggestion that the Nepalese woman deliberately harmed her one-year-old child appeared to have grown from comments made by the immigration minister, Peter Dutton, in parliament, a subsequent attempt by crossbenchers to censure him and media reports on Tuesday of a police investigation.

The Queensland police investigation, sparked by a child protection notification reportedly from a guard, has since been closed and no charges have been laid.

On Monday Dutton suggested the government was the target of attempted blackmail by asylum seekers seeking healthcare.

Dutton had been asked a question in parliament referencing baby Asha and, within his answer, was the following statement: “I’m not going to conduct a situation, not going to preside over a situation where we have people self-harming to come to hospitals in this country because they believe that is the route out into the Australian community for Australian citizenship.”

He immediately followed the statement with comments about baby Asha, prompting accusations he was implying Asha had been deliberately harmed by her mother.

The Tasmanian MP Andrew Wilkie moved to censure Dutton for his comments, telling parliament the accusation that people self-harmed to gain citizenship was “one of the ugliest things I have heard in this place in my time serving here”.

The motion was seconded by the Greens MP Adam Bandt and supported by the independent MP Cathy McGowan. However, it was defeated when Labor voted with the Coalition because, Labor’s immigration spokesman, Richard Marles, said, Dutton’s comments had been “over egged” by Wilkie.

Dutton defended his comments and said he made no judgment about Asha’s injuries.

On Tuesday the Courier Mail reported a guard had alleged Asha’s mother had “confessed” to purposefully harming Asha to get them out of Nauru.

It is not known exactly what, if any, statement made by Asha’s mother – who speaks English as a second language – led to the actioning of a child protection notification by the guard.

Queensland police confirmed to Guardian Australia it had received a child protection notification but would not say when it was received. The spokeswoman said an investigation was conducted and finalised.

An asylum seeker advocate, Natasha Blucher, said Asha’s mother had been interviewed by police last week. Blucher, a former Save the Children worker who had been cleared of accusations she and others incited asylum seekers to self-harm, said the questions largely centred around whether Blucher had coached her to burn Asha.

Blucher was not subsequently questioned and the investigation has since closed.

Blucher, who has known Asha’s parents for about two years, said Asha’s mother would be “absolutely distraught” at the suggestion she had harmed her daughter.

“If anything, she has been very protective of the child in a difficult environment,” Blucher said. “She’s done everything she possibly can to keep her safe.”

Hospital records of Asha’s treatment, seen by Guardian Australia, show there was no evidence anybody else was involved in her injury.

Asha, who is a year old, sustained a “superficial, partial thickness” burn to her chest in an accident with recently boiled water that was cooling in the tent in which she lived.

“The injury occurred when [Asha] pulled a bowl containing recently boiled water off a table onto herself,” the medical record said. “[Asha] lives in a tent with no kitchen facilities except for a kettle. [Asha’s] mother boils all the water she consumes to ensure it is safe for drinking.

“There is no clinical evidence that the burn injury was non-accidental.”

Daniel Webb, who is acting for the family, said the government needed to get perspective on the issue.

“Last night was this family’s first night of freedom in two-and-a-half years,” he said. “It’s incredibly sad that they have to wake up to such hurtful things being said about them. Asha’s mother will be really confused and upset.”

Shen Narayanasamy, the human rights campaign director for GetUp, accused Dutton of ignoring the medical evidence.

“Dutton is in possession of medical reports which clearly state Baby Asha’s injuries were accidental,” Narayanasamy said.

“It’s rotten politics and we will ensure the family is able to fully explore their defamation options against this minister and his Border Force.”

Dutton had since repeated his question time comments, telling Channel Nine: “We are not going to allow people smugglers to get out a message that if you seek assistance in an Australian hospital, that somehow that is your formula to becoming an Australian citizen.”

Advocates have drawn comparisons between the allegations and the 2001 “children overboard” accusations.

At the time – which was shortly before a federal election the Coalition would go on to win – ministers in the Howard government insisted that asylum seekers arriving in Australian waters by boat had deliberately thrown their children into the sea in a “planned and premeditated” attempt to force the navy to take them to Australia.

The defence minister at the time, Peter Reith, released photographs of children in the sea wearing life jackets, asserting the pictures were evidence the government’s stated version of events was “absolute fact”.

The then prime minister, John Howard, said: “I express my anger at the behaviour of those people and I repeat it: I can’t comprehend how genuine refugees would throw their children overboard ... I certainly don’t want people of that type in Australia, I really don’t.”

It was found by a subsequent parliamentary inquiry that the version of events presented by the government was untrue: that no children were thrown into the water in the incident; that the pictures presented were taken a day after the alleged incident was said to have taken place (when the asylum seeker boat broke up and sank under tow from the navy and almost all passengers ended up in the water); and that military chiefs had explicitly told government officials no children were thrown overboard in the incident.

The Greens senator Sarah Hanson Young said the government had “form” when it came to making false accusations and allusions.

“The children overboard affair and the recent unfair sacking of 10 Save the Children workers on Nauru shows why we should be suspicious of what this government says,” she said. “When it comes to who to trust out of Peter Dutton or the medical professionals who are trying to protect children on Nauru, I know who I’ll back every time.”

Dutton’s office has been contacted for comment.

Asha and her family are still on the Australian mainland, according to the department of immigration, but their exact location since being moved into community detention is unknown. Dutton has said that once “legal and medical” issues are resolved, all families will be returned to Nauru. Lawyers and advocates said they had been unable to contact the family for up to three days, before making contact Monday night.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/23/police-dismiss-claims-baby-asha-deliberately-hurt-by-mother-in-order-to-leave-nauru

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fiery_valkyrie posted:

What are some good organisations that work with/for refugees that I can donate to?
https://www.asrc.org.au

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I'm not super up on it but given how much these guys piss the LNP off Save the Children are probably worth :10bux:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

or maybe http://unhcr.org.au/unhcr/

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Looks like Labor actually want to fight for the Safe Schools stuff. It will be strange having an opposition opposing stuff

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

This link didn't work, but I donated to the other two. Thanks for the suggestions.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fiery_valkyrie posted:

This link didn't work, but I donated to the other two. Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah, I shouldnt have had the https there.

Try www.asrc.com.au

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Huh. Once newspoll hits 50-50 the ALP starts being a little less poo poo but still absolutely poo poo.

They'll still glide into any modern election win off Green preferences which is a shame because they are still absolutely poo poo.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Anidav posted:

Huh. Once newspoll hits 50-50 the ALP starts being a little less poo poo but still absolutely poo poo.

They'll still glide into any modern election win off Green preferences which is a shame because they are still absolutely poo poo.

I can think of worse things than a minority Labor Government reliant on the support of the Greens.

Like, say, the current Government.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SKY COQ posted:

I can think of worse things than a minority Labor Government reliant on the support of the Greens.

Like, say, the current Government.

Or a majority labor government.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i don't know why but i'm super mad about this ridiculous attack on safe schools. i guess i'd grown used to torturing asylum seekers as official government policy but this still managed to shock

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jintor posted:

i don't know why but i'm super mad about this ridiculous attack on safe schools. i guess i'd grown used to torturing asylum seekers as official government policy but this still managed to shock

With every concession Turnbull makes to the hard right he makes human sack of flour Mill Shortins more electable.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Someone keep handing Mt rope.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thinking about it, this anti safe schools thing is probably the prelude to the debate on gay marriage, get the message out there early so that the precedent can be set in recent memory, and that is depressing enough

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
On the drum tonight "Being bullied for being gay is just the same as being bullied for having red hair". Aside from the gingers never getting beaten to death part I guess it's similar, not.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I gave up on writin' people about where trawled up refugees are buried, I mostly just got questions back about who I was

Actually, mostly nothing, but out of actual replies, that

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 23, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
https://www.facebook.com/Project-UPF-Australia-527184964124969/

Anonymous are posting a poo poo tonne of the UPFs private conversations.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Zenithe posted:

https://www.facebook.com/Project-UPF-Australia-527184964124969/

Anonymous are posting a poo poo tonne of the UPFs private conversations.

Had a bit of a look through there, it's all fairly innocuous. Certainly no smoking gun.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
:lol: Pegida's gotten to Australia, too?!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Sometimes I cannot believe this stuff is actually happening here, it feels like it's straight out of some trashy dystopian story where the powerful villains are way too blatant and obvious

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Birb Katter posted:

Had a bit of a look through there, it's all fairly innocuous. Certainly no smoking gun.

Someone needs to get Virgil Texas on the phone

http://www.vice.com/read/virgil-texas-white-power-facebook-group-troll

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Honj Steak posted:

:lol: Pegida's gotten to Australia, too?!

We had a full blown anti-muslim race riot a decade ago, Pegida's a drop in a deep bucket

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

I remember that, it was some top tier trolling.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Reminded me that Reclaim got worked over too

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The Peccadillo posted:

I gave up on writin' people about where trawled up refugees are buried, I mostly just got questions back about who I was

Actually, mostly nothing, but out of actual replies, that
That is frankly amazing. Thank You for trying to do it. I ran into a similar brickwall when I tried to get the violent cop from occupy Melbourne brought to account.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/02/23/asylum-seeker-boat-turned-back-sri-lanka-dutton

WOW, SURE ARE GLAD WE STOPPED THOSE BOATS

quote:

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has admitted that Australian border protection authorities recently turned an asylum seeker boat back to Sri Lanka.

Mr Dutton gave few details beyond saying this occurred in the last couple of weeks.

"We determined that those people aren't refugees and then they go back to their country of origin. We have a good relationship with Sri Lanka as we do with Indonesia," he told Brisbane radio 4BC.

Mr Dutton said just because boat arrivals weren't making the news each night didn't mean the threat had gone away.

"We are dealing with possible ventures regularly," he said.

Mr Dutton said there were 14,000 people waiting in Indonesia to get on boats to Australia if people smugglers saw any relaxation in the current tough policy.

"There are many millions more potentially who would want to get into Europe but can't, and would be happy to make their way up through Malaysia into Indonesia onto boats to come to our country," he said.

Mr Dutton said 1200 people drowned under Labor and people would drown again if people smugglers started risking lives on leaky boats.

Also, wow, we sure are efficient at processing asylum seekers aren't we.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Cartoon posted:

That is frankly amazing. Thank You for trying to do it. I ran into a similar brickwall when I tried to get the violent cop from occupy Melbourne brought to account.

It's not amazing, it was just ignored emails, and I doubt most the people I wrote would have the authority to find out, or the inclination to agitate about it

A buddy told me he'd bring it up with some ex navy officer he knew, but only if I joined his minority party, it's just not an issue any people mind

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Zenithe posted:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/02/23/asylum-seeker-boat-turned-back-sri-lanka-dutton

"We determined that those people aren't refugees and then they go back to their country of origin. We have a good relationship with Sri Lanka as we do with Indonesia," he told Brisbane radio 4BC.

Is it just me or are those two poorly constructed sentences? Changes tense in the first then a total non sequitur second. It reads like a writing exercise from a kindergarten.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fliptophead posted:

Is it just me or are those two poorly constructed sentences? Changes tense in the first then a total non sequitur second. It reads like a writing exercise from a kindergarten.

Yeah thats about the level Dutton works at.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/JacquiLambie/status/701967345011466240

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

fliptophead posted:

Rhodes Scholar in the making.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The Peccadillo posted:

It's not amazing, it was just ignored emails, and I doubt most the people I wrote would have the authority to find out, or the inclination to agitate about it

A buddy told me he'd bring it up with some ex navy officer he knew, but only if I joined his minority party, it's just not an issue any people mind
Well it's amazing that all those people have died, been collected by our armed forces and nobody knows where the bodies are. Well nobody is telling. Was there no interest from journalists?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
14,000 just sitting and waiting in Indonesia huh? Those numbers must come from Duttons rear end.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Cartoon posted:

Well it's amazing that all those people have died, been collected by our armed forces and nobody knows where the bodies are. Well nobody is telling. Was there no interest from journalists?

Nope!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Our politicians can barely even pretend to care for an injured baby.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Where's Shorten?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Where's Shorten?

There's already enough boobs in the picture. We don't need another.

• Locked thread