Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm thinking for the SRM cup we could hold it over multiple days. Getting 3 games in a single day is hard, but we could do 3 rounds thurs-sat. Single elimination so losers can go get us winners bhan mi from the food trucks.

Ok I was thinking about maybe heading down for this, but if there's a loving banh mi truck I'm definitely doing it. Someone tell me what tickets to buy and what events I'm going to get shithoused at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ANAmal.net posted:

Someone tell me what tickets to buy and what events I'm going to get shithoused at.
same

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
For me the easiest way to identify re-casts is just cutting a tiny piece off, or sanding it. Recasts smell like gasoline almost immediately.

Forge world stuff doesn't have an odour, in my experience.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Yeast posted:

Forge world stuff doesn't have an odour, in my experience.

Are you sure about this? Because for me it has the distinct smell of burnt money.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Phyresis posted:

Are you sure about this? Because for me it has the distinct smell of burnt money.

Instructions unclear, inhaling resin dust to be sure.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Agreed. If it's grey, but you sand it and it smells, then it's a recast.

However there are some recasters that use higher quality resin than FW. They don't smell and they don't have any release agent either. They're usually not grey, but I have seen some that look and behave like the real thing. The only way I was able to tell was that it was a tiny bit more brittle... and the price.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

While on the topic of recast chat; I'd avoid purchasing anything not NIB from ebay at least for the time being. A few months ago one of the more public recasters had a major sale and the orders started shipping about a month ago. I've only been watching the Tyranid listings lately but there have been 10+ postings for dimachaerons alone that I can say with certainty came from this particular caster.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Since someone called me out in this thread when the new Genestealer Cult models were revealed, guess I should share the converted commission army I made.

Dude wanted a Tyranid army, but modeled like Genecult. Only unconverted models in the entire army would be purestrain Genestealers and Lictors. I apologize in advance for the really crummy photos - I had a terrible camera at the time I was doing these, and no decent light setup. My attempts at color-correction on mediocre software led to some atrociously oversaturated shots.

They were also a relatively cheap and fast commission, as well as being from a few years ago, so the painting is below my normal standard. They do look great together on the tabletop, though!

Genestealer Patriarch (converted from a metal Broodlord, plays as a Tyranid Prime).

Ascended Patriarch (converted from old metal Patriarch, plays as Swarmlord).

Genestealer Magi (converted from Fantasy wizards, play as Zoanthropes).

Genestealer Cultists (converted from Catachans and Cadians, play as Termagants with Fleshborers).

Cult Gangers (converted from Catachans and Cadians, play as Termagants with Devourers).

Cult Limos (play as Tervigons, converted from some ebay car models).

Genestealer Hybrids (converted from Ork Boyz and Genestealers, play as Ymgarl Genestealers).

Cult Skimmer (Converted from Land Speeder Storm, plays as flying hive Tyrant with two twin-linked Devourers).

Cult Flyer (Converted from Landspeeder with Storm Talon wings, plays as Hive Crone).

Cult Psyker (converted from some Techpriests and a bit from the Fantasy giant, plays as Doom of Malan'tai).

Ogryn Hybrids (converted from Fantasy ghoul things, count as Tyrant Guard).

Cult Tank (converted from Leman Russ, counts as Tyrannofex with two-shot weapon).

Cult Tank (converted from Leman Russ, counts as Tyrannofex with torrent flamer weapon).

Cult Power Loader (converted from Dreadknight, plays as Trygon).

Purestrain Genestealer (unconverted, plays as Genestealer).

Purestrain Lictors (unconverted, play as Lictors).

Objectives/terrain (converted from Fantasy kits). The big totem rotates and serves as a turn counter.

Some group shots:

The client painted up a bunch more purestrain Genestealers using a paint tutorial I made for him to mimic the scheme, as well as some tunneling drill-transports to play as Mycetic Spores. I'll see if I can find the pictures he's sent me from past games.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 23, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Herr Tog posted:

he has 17 problems

But most certainly a bitch aint one.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Hey 40K thread, it's me again, back for my 6-monthly "does this game suck and which factions are okay?" post. I'm slowly catching up on the thread but I'm skipping ahead to ask this question. What's decent these days? Was thinking about Tau, Orks or Blood Angels but I was told Orks and BA are bad. I have no idea any more...

Maybe I should just play vanilla SM, at least they'll probably never be bad.

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 23, 2016

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Digital Jesus posted:

Hey 40K thread, it's me again, back for my 6-monthly "does this game suck and which factions are okay?" post. I'm slowly catching up on the thread but I'm skipping ahead to ask this question. What's decent these days? Was thinking about Tau or Blood Angels but I was told BA are bad. I have no idea any more...

Genestealer Cults are looking interesting

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What's the limits of counts as? Can you run orks counts-as space marines so long as each unit is represented by a unit of similar size and shape? Maybe you players underpowered armies should try that. Just use whatever, as SMs.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah that game looks cool, will probably buy it just to paint the minis.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

SRM posted:

Over a black basecoat:
Kantor Blue for the armor, Khorne Red on the fist, followed by a black wash. Bring all colors back up to their base colors while leaving the wash in the recesses. Highlight with Altdorf Guard Blue and Mephiston Red respectively. if you wanted to highlight a step further I'd use Fenrisian Grey and Squig Orange.

These are from like 4+ years ago but I don't think I'd do anything too differently, formula-wise. Maybe a zenithal highlight for a little more color variation.

I forgot how great your Fists are :allears:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

TheChirurgeon posted:

Is this sarcastic? My Fire Raptor included nothing of the sort.

Not at all. Friend of mine picked up a Typhon from Warhammer World last week and it came in a white box and this pamphlet:

Looks like they're moving to this sort of presentation from now on, so it's not just a couple of bags. There's bubble wrap inside and everything.

But playing 'spot the recast; can be tough. In my experience, the plastic doesn't smell any different and the quality is as good or often better than genuine stuff. The recent recasters even get the amount of black pigment just about perfect, even with real FW grey color varies depending on the kit you're getting. Shoulder pads are a different color to vehicles, for instance, so the color is no guarantee.

Spot the recast:

It's the one with the rubber bands on it. Apart from a slightly bendy gun support there are no issues with it and zero bubbles on the back end, which the larger tank has in spades. The smaller tank in the foreground is genuine plastic.

And which one is the model I got scammed on? I bought these both online, one from Facebook and one from ebay:

Slipped cast gives double mold lines, dead giveaway - although on this particular one the small parts were sloppily attached to very small sprues and requires 1000x more cleaning up than any GW plastic kit

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Looks like they're moving to this sort of presentation from now on, so it's not just a couple of bags. There's bubble wrap inside and everything.

Yeah that's FW new style. Commonly something will go out of stock on their website and return shortly after with the brand new packing. They're mostly converting HH stuff to this style.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

krushgroove posted:

But playing 'spot the recast; can be tough. In my experience, the plastic doesn't smell any different and the quality is as good or often better than genuine stuff. The recent recasters even get the amount of black pigment just about perfect, even with real FW grey color varies depending on the kit you're getting. Shoulder pads are a different color to vehicles, for instance, so the color is no guarantee.

Spot the recast:

It's the one with the rubber bands on it. Apart from a slightly bendy gun support there are no issues with it and zero bubbles on the back end, which the larger tank has in spades. The smaller tank in the foreground is genuine plastic.

And which one is the model I got scammed on? I bought these both online, one from Facebook and one from ebay:

Slipped cast gives double mold lines, dead giveaway - although on this particular one the small parts were sloppily attached to very small sprues and requires 1000x more cleaning up than any GW plastic kit

the higher quality stuff is way harder to detect. based chinaman's stuff was really high quality (at least before he died :( ) there's still a lot of the ghetto poo poo on US eBay as well driving down prices. A lot of the junk coming out from the Russians still looks noticably off but some of it looks real. eBay tries to pull those auctions but there's a lot that slip through for whatever reason and get sold. protip: if it's from loving russia or china it's fake, duh. the price almost doesn't even factor in at that point but yeah it's always like half of retail.

e: you can tell the Wraithknight on the right is fake and resin just from that one mediocre picture.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 23, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So how do Raptors and Warp Talons hold up currently in casual play? I was leaning more toward Raptors with either flamer or melta support, as I have always enjoyed the models. (Newer ones wvwn more, minus the more mundane feet and wierd teeth on the jump pack)

Also, did Forgeworld stop selling the SoB Rhino doors? I managed to pick up a rear door on ebay, but I can't seem to find any side doors so I will probably just greenstuff the icons. I am going to be desecrating it anyway, so that is probably the better route.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

jadebullet posted:

So how do Raptors and Warp Talons hold up currently in casual play? I was leaning more toward Raptors with either flamer or melta support, as I have always enjoyed the models. (Newer ones wvwn more, minus the more mundane feet and wierd teeth on the jump pack)
Raptors are a semi-solid unit and a decent way to deliver your Chaos Lord into combat. Equip a melta or two to crack open transports. For a casual list they're decent and fun.

Even in casual play Warp Talons just aren't worth it. Too costly for what little perks they bring. They look cool enough, but you can model most of that into Raptors anyway.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That's what I figured with the Warp Talons. Why would you make a dedicated melee trooper without grenades?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Mango Polo posted:

Yeah that's FW new style. Commonly something will go out of stock on their website and return shortly after with the brand new packing. They're mostly converting HH stuff to this style.

Must have been recent, because I got the standard "bags and black-and-white instructions" treatment and I ordered my Fire Raptor in December.

jadebullet posted:

That's what I figured with the Warp Talons. Why would you make a dedicated melee trooper without grenades?

They're really just not good. Factor in that blind tests are worthless against pretty much every army except Tau and Necrons, their lack of guns, and the inability to assault from deep strike, and you've got yourself one overpriced garbage unit. They're marginally better in Khorne Daemonkin though, where you can use musicians from other summoned daemons to stop the Warp Talons from scattering.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Here's a really lovely picture of a finished/not-based new style Warp Spider (left) compared to the old style Warp Spider (right)

The picture really doesn't do it justice, but I have no way to get proper lighting to show the shading. The best example of what it actually looks like is more akin to the knee pad on the left leg of the new style model.

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 23, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Corrode posted:

I forgot how great your Fists are :allears:
Someday I'll finish them. I need to paint one last Devastator squad and I'll have the full 2nd company. Someday...

Boon posted:

Here's a really lovely picture of a finished/not-based new style Warp Spider (left) compared to the old style Warp Spider (right)

The picture really doesn't do it justice, but I have no way to get proper lighting to show the shading. The best example of what it actually looks like is more akin to the knee pad on the left leg of the new style model.
I feel like there's too many bright colors going at once here. The green, blue, and purple are all vying for attention. I like the older scheme more because the grey is less in your face and lets the orange do most of the work.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What's the limits of counts as? Can you run orks counts-as space marines so long as each unit is represented by a unit of similar size and shape? Maybe you players underpowered armies should try that. Just use whatever, as SMs.
It's very much on a case by case basis. Like if I got a bunch of the Chaos Cultists with autoguns and wanted to run them as Imperial Guard (or vice versa) I doubt anyone would mind since they have similar rules and equipment. If I grabbed my shoota boyz and said they're Chaos Marines now, I think that'd be a problem since, among other things, they don't have power armor. If I converted each one to look power armored, then we'd be talking:

Or if I used the old Orks in power armor from Rogue Trader, that'd work:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SRM posted:

I feel like there's too many bright colors going at once here. The green, blue, and purple are all vying for attention. I like the older scheme more because the grey is less in your face and lets the orange do most of the work.

I see your point. To the naked eye, the overall model is darker than the original scheme and the colors are more complimentary. I think the lighter colors are capturing the light better and overpowering the darker shades and washing them out in the photo. I'll try to figure out a better way of getting a photo and comparing the two.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

ANAmal.net posted:

Ok I was thinking about maybe heading down for this, but if there's a loving banh mi truck I'm definitely doing it. Someone tell me what tickets to buy and what events I'm going to get shithoused at.

Ok. 1st you need a Convention access pass - $40. There are a few goons doing the Narrative (which is way better than the GT) for 40k. There are two levels of play: Warlords and Nightfighters. Warlords play all 6 games and get to take part in the strategic planning/gettin' turnt meetings. It is not a requirement to get turnt at these meetings, though it helps. This costs $70. The Nightfighters track gets you 3 games played on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. You aren't in the planning, but can do other events, like the GT, too. That costs $40.

Either one guarantees that you will play with or against goons, and I can vouch for the quality and fun of the event. The organizers are new, but I've known them for a couple of years now, and they're top-notch hamz.

Also, if you're short on cash, I can probably share a room with someone. I'm planning on staying at the hotel this year, even though I live like 20 minutes away.

Rano Pano
Jan 17, 2004

BuffaloChicken posted:

Cult Limos (play as Tervigons, converted from some ebay car models).

Loving this idea! There's 108 guys crammed into that car if you roll perfectly :)

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Ok. 1st you need a Convention access pass - $40. There are a few goons doing the Narrative (which is way better than the GT) for 40k. There are two levels of play: Warlords and Nightfighters. Warlords play all 6 games and get to take part in the strategic planning/gettin' turnt meetings. It is not a requirement to get turnt at these meetings, though it helps. This costs $70. The Nightfighters track gets you 3 games played on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. You aren't in the planning, but can do other events, like the GT, too. That costs $40.

Either one guarantees that you will play with or against goons, and I can vouch for the quality and fun of the event. The organizers are new, but I've known them for a couple of years now, and they're top-notch hamz.

Also, if you're short on cash, I can probably share a room with someone. I'm planning on staying at the hotel this year, even though I live like 20 minutes away.

Also, MasterSlowPoke and myself will be "Human" path in the narrative. I strongly suspect that The Sex Cannon will be as well since he was the last two years.

That basically means that we eat free snacks and maybe get spendy at the charity bar together in the meetings and fight for the same team in the big picture points-game. When/if there are team games this year then there is a shot to play together. The only way to play against us on the table is to pick the "Virtue" side (night fighter or warlord).

There is a home brewed narrative (get it) with non 40k fluff about humans fighting this alien collective that they use 40k games to represent. Any army can be either side. It's not that serious but it's fun to see the leaders of the narrative tally results and see what happens.

Our plan last year was not super complicated and ended with some charismatic steel legion guy suggesting we "ball so hard" which took off dramatically, leading easily convinced nerds to chant it for the next two nights at any opportunity.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Rano Pano posted:

Loving this idea! There's 108 guys crammed into that car if you roll perfectly :)
Hah, good thing I usually score 15 tops. We referred to those as the "clown cars" during the creation process - evidently the name stuck, since that's what they're referred to in the link below.

Click here if you want to see more group shots of the army, though they're terrible and blurry.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

The Sex Cannon posted:

You had me at "gettin' turnt".

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm gonna to convert myself some 4th gen hybrid commissars and commanding officers for a thematic "come the apocalypse" genestealer cult/IG allied list.

E: I'm really excited.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
English deathwatch rules:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I want to like those Deathwatch formations, but whose bright idea was it to have them in mixed squads? Squad of the shooty guys, squad of the choppy guys, big squad (with the White Scar and Jump Pack guys being able to split off) would have been much better.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
And how does something like Counter-attack work in a mixed squad?

edit: Nevermind, it's conferred on the whole squad.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Kit bashed chaplain on a bike last night and started painting it up. For some reason it had never occurred to me to put a chaplain on a bike but this should be fun to play with. This is still a WIP...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Edgy is an exception to Strike From the Shadows right? I was under the impression that Raven Guard with jump packs don't normally get that rule because they count as bulky.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Phyresis posted:

the higher quality stuff is way harder to detect. based chinaman's stuff was really high quality (at least before he died :( )

Okay, now I have no idea who this is. I thought I did but the person I thought this was is doing just fine.

Gotta love code.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Kill Team formation sucks. Munging the whole team into one squad in order to gain Preferred Enemy is totally not worth it. Unfortunately (unless there's another formation/CAD not yet announced) it's the only way of using the whole team short of going unbound.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
So the bike guy has to stay in formation with the guys on foot?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

DeadGame posted:

So the bike guy has to stay in formation with the guys on foot?

-nm.

e. Yeah, you basically lose the purpose for having the bike or jetpacks entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So not only are there two idiots with jump packs trying to fly inside cramped corridors, but there's also an idiot riding a bike in there. I don't know if this is 40k as gently caress or dumb as hell. It's probably just both. Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but the five-man squad is named after the Ultramarine dude who is identified as Cassius' second-in-command. Nepotism. :argh:

So, a lot of these guys individually have special rules that carry over to their unit. The combined squad would have so many loving rules. I'm too lazy to figure out what exactly, but it's a lot.

• Locked thread