Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Rebel is a dumb name, but it obviously worked from a marketing perspective. Can't knock the hustle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

bull3964 posted:

What's crazy is Canon has 28 point and shoot cameras in their current lineup in 4 different categories. I really don't understand how there can be a large enough market for all of that.

Then again, Nikon has 28 different Coolpix models as well.

Holy poo poo. I would've guessed like 10 models and still would have thought that was overkill. Best thing about Canon's point and shoot's is that you can usually get refurbished last years models for a song.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I went and had a look - I reckon this is the current line-up. On top of this they have a few superseded models which they're listing as current - I assume they have a stock they're selling off? The G series explosion is a recent thing; for a long time it was a single camera line that went through 16 iterations (G1, G2, G3... G16).

I can't be bothered to look up what specs differentiate the rest, other than to say every single lens has it's own focal length range...

The premium end (all 1" sensors apart from the first)
PowerShot G1 X Mark II (1.5" sensor)
PowerShot G3 X (an RX100 with a large lens so it's neither compact nor convenient)
PowerShot G5 X (the bastard love child of an RX100 and a DSLR)
PowerShot G7 X Mark II (the RX100 clone)
PowerShot G9 X (extra slim)

Bridge
PowerShot SX60 HS
PowerShot SX530 HS
PowerShot SX420 P IS
PowerShot SX720 HS
PowerShot SX610 HS

Small compacts
IXUS 285 HS
IXUS 180
IXUS 175

Novelties
PowerShot N2 (designed for selfies)
PowerShot N100 (has a rearfacing camera so takes a picture of the photographer at the same time then superimposed it in the corner...)

Rugged/Waterproof
PowerShot D30

deck
Jul 13, 2006

Powershot Sex 420 Piss

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

deck posted:

Powershot Sex 420 Piss

Mods, name change please.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

deck posted:

Powershot Sex 420 Piss

Sponsored by R Kelly

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Main dial on 6D gets pretty hard to spin every 3-5 clicks or so. Anyone got experience with this? I read in a couple places online that canon lubricates it as a fix and I'm wondering what they use and how they do it.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 21, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cross post from automotive photography thread:

Anyone got some advice on a good lens for action night shots?

There's a free-to-watch drifting night at my local track and I shot 600ish photos and had these ones be the best of them.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/ZQntT

Shot on Canon 550D with a Tamron 18-270 3.5-6.5 with stabilisation.

Next time I go I will have a media pass so I can get closer, so reach won't really be an issue (these were all shot between 50-80mm), but I feel like I'm still gonna need a faster lens. I also want to get it under 6400 ISO if possible.

I have a nifty fifty but I've been told it'll just be blurry mess at low f-stop.

Was thinking canon 60mm macro as I would get extra use out of that shooting flowers for my girlfriend but the 100mm f2 canon seems like a better lens for the car stuff (and for daylight events) perhaps.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Laserface posted:

There's a free-to-watch drifting night at my local track and I shot 600ish photos and had these ones be the best of them.

Next time I go I will have a media pass so I can get closer, so reach won't really be an issue (these were all shot between 50-80mm), but I feel like I'm still gonna need a faster lens. I also want to get it under 6400 ISO if possible.

I have a nifty fifty but I've been told it'll just be blurry mess at low f-stop.

Was thinking canon 60mm macro as I would get extra use out of that shooting flowers for my girlfriend but the 100mm f2 canon seems like a better lens for the car stuff (and for daylight events) perhaps.

I'd go for the 85 1.8. Aperture won't cause blur; you'll have more than enough DoF at 1.8 from the distance you're shooting. The larger reason you'd have blur is because of too low of a shutter speed or because the autofocus on the 50 1.8 can't keep up.

The AF on the 85 1.8 is fantastic, and the lens is a terrific value.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Laserface posted:

The nifty fifty isn't incredible at 1.8, but it's hardly a blurry mess. But stopped down to 2.8 it's still faster than the 18-270.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dakana posted:

I'd go for the 85 1.8. Aperture won't cause blur; you'll have more than enough DoF at 1.8 from the distance you're shooting. The larger reason you'd have blur is because of too low of a shutter speed or because the autofocus on the 50 1.8 can't keep up.

The AF on the 85 1.8 is fantastic, and the lens is a terrific value.

Thanks. Yeah the blurry comment was more aimed at the AF being poo poo. Is the new fifty any better?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Laserface posted:

Thanks. Yeah the blurry comment was more aimed at the AF being poo poo. Is the new fifty any better?

The new fifty has very accurate AF but it's not world burning fast so it's not really an action lens

The 85 and 100 are basically identical IQ build and AF wise. Pick whichever length works better for you - both are fast and accurate, and reasonably sharp wide open, very sharp stopped down

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My suspicion is the trick to photographing racing cars at night is finding a spot with floodlights hitting the car, or get a body with excellent performance at high ISO. Probably a mixture of both.

If you can get close enough to fill the frame with a 50mm that's fine too, but I sure as poo poo wouldn't want to be that close to a vehicle moving at speed.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Anything with a lower F stop will pretty much do wonders. Depending how far you want to be from the action anyways. I have ,y heart set on a sigma 2.8 120-300 and man I can't wait to win a small lottery to get one :negative:

It's like buy that, or save a bit more and get a MK III

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

xzzy posted:

My suspicion is the trick to photographing racing cars at night is finding a spot with floodlights hitting the car, or get a body with excellent performance at high ISO. Probably a mixture of both.

If you can get close enough to fill the frame with a 50mm that's fine too, but I sure as poo poo wouldn't want to be that close to a vehicle moving at speed.

Unfortunately the lights arent positioned that well and either block the view or the light is facing straight into the camera.

The media pass will get me on the other side of the spectators fence (but still behind the tyres) and I imagine my 17-50 2.8 Tamron will be more useful. I just didnt have time to gently caress around with release forms and security deposits ($50 for a day-glo vest lol) as I was on my way to my girlfriends house and thought I would try to get some sunset shots in.

Im cool with being close to race cars in this instance as drifting is relatively low speed and they mostly just spin out rather than careen off track and into the barriers. for the actually fast cars I usually just go as a spectator with my 70-300 during the day and dont have any issues.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

On night racing... is there a spot you could get panning shots? That would leverage your low-light problem into :rice:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I did pan a lot of the shots. the good shots were taken from the inside of the final turn (you only do 3 turns in drifting) starting from the start of the second turn and finishing at the end of the third.

Panning I got the hang of pretty quickly but still kind of tricky when you just dont have the ability to get the shutter speed where you want it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Bummed out that Sigma's unveil was crop only. Would've been all over a 50-100 f/1.8.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

bolind posted:

Bummed out that Sigma's unveil was crop only. Would've been all over a 50-100 f/1.8.

A 3kg+ lens would be pretty painful to try and haul around.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

1990s.rmvb

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm planning on selling a Canon 28-70 2.8, but I can't find the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. Am I blind, or is it gone?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Sneeze Party posted:

I'm planning on selling a Canon 28-70 2.8, but I can't find the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. Am I blind, or is it gone?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Thanks. Guess I was blind.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What are the different expected shuttercounts of the different lines of cameras?

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What are the different expected shuttercounts of the different lines of cameras?

There's a table here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-DSLR-Digital-Camera-Review.aspx at about 3/4 down the page. Roughly 100,000 to 150,000 for most models, according the canon.

This site was supposed to be a thing once: http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hello Canon Thread, it's been a while.

Well, I've finally got the money and three cool things coming up I want to shoot at, so it's time to replace the 450D. It can keep the long telephoto on it while having a wider lens on .. I'm thinking the 6D.

I want to go to full frame. I want to be able to shoot excellent video. I want better low light performance and other options than my 450D.

I'm thinking it's a pretty clear choice, it's another $1500 for the 5d Mark 3 and I don't think I can justify that.

I shoot all sorts of stuff, but landscapes, social scenes and action are common. I don't really do 'sports' photography with a huge zoom.

Any advice is more than welcome.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Tony Montana posted:

Hello Canon Thread, it's been a while.

Well, I've finally got the money and three cool things coming up I want to shoot at, so it's time to replace the 450D. It can keep the long telephoto on it while having a wider lens on .. I'm thinking the 6D.

I want to go to full frame. I want to be able to shoot excellent video. I want better low light performance and other options than my 450D.

I'm thinking it's a pretty clear choice, it's another $1500 for the 5d Mark 3 and I don't think I can justify that.

I shoot all sorts of stuff, but landscapes, social scenes and action are common. I don't really do 'sports' photography with a huge zoom.

Any advice is more than welcome.

It's a great camera, and there are some pretty good deals floating around now (check canonrumors or canonpricewatch)- I've seen $999 gray market and under $1200 B&H. I guess think about why you don't want a 70D or 80D, which would let you use all your old lenses. I don't mean to talk you out of FF, but the 70D/80D will have better high ISO than your current camera as well and have the nice dual pixel autofocus for smooth video pulls.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've only got the nifty 50 (which will work on the 6D) and the kit lenses, so I don't have much of a lens investment at all.

edit: ooh I want smooth AF for video pulls now. The 6D will do that awesome, right?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Tony Montana posted:

I've only got the nifty 50 (which will work on the 6D) and the kit lenses, so I don't have much of a lens investment at all.

edit: ooh I want smooth AF for video pulls now. The 6D will do that awesome, right?

No, the only dual pixel cameras are the 70d, 7d2, and the upcoming 80d and 1dx2

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Really? The AF is better on the cheaper camera?

and that is why I post here..

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Tony Montana posted:

Really? The AF is better on the cheaper camera?

and that is why I post here..

There's no video AF at all on the 6D, let alone better or worse :)

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Buying a 6D for video lmao

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

iSheep posted:

Buying a 6D for video lmao

Yeah it's kind of a moiré mess too. As is the 70D

The 7D2 has much better video quality than either , although the iso performance is not up to snuff with the 6D

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Tony Montana posted:

...the 6D.

I want to go to full frame. I want to be able to shoot excellent video.

I'm thinking it's a pretty clear choice...

Photo wise, the 6D is excellent. Video, I'm less impressed with. This in comparison with the t3i. The 6D video seems the same or worse for video.

When you say "excellent video", can you be specific about what you mean?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
:aaa:

So .. manual focus for video? Noooooooo. No no no. That's a deal breaker, surely. That is very much not excellent video.

So the 70D is a better camera for video then? Does the 5D Mark 3 have auto focus for video?

I mean by 'excellent video', video that is better than a exclusively video camera. I have a GoPro and I though we were at the point where you can have a DSLR that shoots both video and stills, don't some mainstream productions use a Canon DSLR in a mount to shoot video? I can spend more to get the 5D if it's that much better, isn't that the pick in the line-up for video? The 7D2 is a crop camera though, right?

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 11, 2016

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Mad Max shot a lot of their chase scenes on the 5dMk2 iirc.

Might be a safe bet to assume they were running magic lantern on those cameras.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
5DIII does not have dual pixel video AF. Only:

timrenzi574 posted:

No, the only dual pixel cameras are the 70d, 7d2, and the upcoming 80d and 1dx2

7D2/70D are crop cameras, so they won't have the high ISO performance of a modern full frame. You might be better off going with another brand (Sony, Black Magic, Panasonic) if video will be your focus.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Tony Montana posted:

:aaa:

So .. manual focus for video? Noooooooo. No no no. That's a deal breaker, surely. That is very much not excellent video.

So the 70D is a better camera for video then? Does the 5D Mark 3 have auto focus for video?

I mean by 'excellent video', video that is better than a exclusively video camera. I have a GoPro and I though we were at the point where you can have a DSLR that shoots both video and stills, don't some mainstream productions use a Canon DSLR in a mount to shoot video? I can spend more to get the 5D if it's that much better, isn't that the pick in the line-up for video? The 7D2 is a crop camera though, right?

Yes the 7d2 is a crop , and no the 5d3 does not have video AF.

The 70D has AF , but the video quality is more like the 6D - lots of moire and aliasing.

Edit: Worth noting also, that the pictures of the 80D sensor that have been published lean towards the assumption that it (like the 1DX2) has on-sensor ADC. This means that while the high ISO noise levels will not be up to the 6D standards, the low ISO shadow noise levels ought to be easily superior to it. Horses for courses, dunno which is more important to you. We have not seen what the video IQ will be on the 80D yet though, but I would assume based on how Canon has been dividing it's lines in this way, that it will implement simple line skipping like the 70D & 6D, and also suffer from moire and aliasing problems.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 11, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

How about the 5D2 and OG 7D? Are they in any way better for video than a 6D and a modern video-enabled Rebel (760D?), respectively? I never use them for video (except for some fireworks that I shot with the 5D2 that I was happy with) but I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

timrenzi574 posted:

Yes the 7d2 is a crop , and no the 5d3 does not have video AF.

The 70D has AF , but the video quality is more like the 6D - lots of moire and aliasing.

Most places that reviewed the 70D on release raved about the video quality. DPReview, DigitalCameraReview, Videomaker.

I haven't shot a lot of video on mine but when I did, I didn't spot any noticeable moire and aliasing.