Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

evil_bunnY posted:

No fancy last second maneuvering, voted 1.

Allow me to sperg out about all the attitude control motors popping in those videos, making very minute corrections to hit the target directly instead of a proximity kill.

The fanciest last second maneuvers are the most subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
I will never ceased to be amazed at the fact that we can make a 20 foot long piece of metal hit another piece of metal when both are traveling at several miles per second in the atmosphere of Earth, poo poo is incredible.

What a time to be alive.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

Allow me to sperg out about all the attitude control motors popping in those videos, making very minute corrections to hit the target directly instead of a proximity kill.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I will never ceased to be amazed at the fact that we can make a 20 foot long piece of metal hit another piece of metal when both are traveling at several miles per second in the atmosphere of Earth, poo poo is incredible.

What a time to be alive.

What about when the target is moving at 17,500mph?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDqNjnUNUl8

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also pictured in that video: America's most capable non-nuclear ballistic missile

:patriot:

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Mr. Showtime posted:

What about when the target is moving at 17,500mph?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDqNjnUNUl8

:monocle:

I had to do the math and that's like an Everest in every 2 seconds. Christ.

Also, the Navy really loves their pubestaches.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

:monocle:

I had to do the math and that's like an Everest in every 2 seconds. Christ.

We can hit a satellite in ORBIT with an anti-aircraft missile on steroids, but we can't have the video of this event in a resolution that's been used in the past twenty years.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
poo poo we shot down a satellite with an F-15 in 1985.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

We prefer the term 'molestache'.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

hogmartin posted:

We prefer the term 'molestache'.

I'm convinced I just did a google image search for "pedophile"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

cross posted from the milhist thread:

Germans testing the main gun stabilization on their Leopard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCW-2_qPlQw

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

cross posted from the milhist thread:

Germans testing the main gun stabilization on their Leopard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCW-2_qPlQw

Germans really love that trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ_55ITGf2I

This is completely off topic, but the 850Ci with a 6 speed is sooooo nice as a highway cruiser if you accept the hilarious running costs. Even more off topic: it was the first V12 offered with a 6 speed transmission, so suck on that Ferrari.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

TCD posted:

Neat - didn't know about this kit.

The US has been doing a lot with regards to improving protection for armor over the past decade. You don't really hear a lot about it but there have been two new generations of Explosive Reactive Armor, a lot of threat-sensor type upgrades to pinpoint sources of fire for both small arms and ATGMs, and a big push toward active defense systems.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Today I was at the "Museum of Cosmonautics and Rocket Technology" in Saint Petersburg, Russia. I took a bunch of photos that should be of interest to the thread, but would you guys prefer a curated and considered bunch of photos or should I just put them all up somewhere offsite and let you vultures pick and chose on your own?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cITKk-DqYWE

Oh look they're making a sequel to that horrible Stealth movie...wait a tick, why is Northrop in this.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Xerxes17 posted:

Today I was at the "Museum of Cosmonautics and Rocket Technology" in Saint Petersburg, Russia. I took a bunch of photos that should be of interest to the thread, but would you guys prefer a curated and considered bunch of photos or should I just put them all up somewhere offsite and let you vultures pick and chose on your own?

If you do post a link to a gallery they might appreciate it over in the spaceflight thread too.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Xerxes17 posted:

Whatever you do, make sure they end up in the Spaceflight Thread too.

e: must learn to refresh.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Xerxes17 posted:

The latter, it is less work for you.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Back Hack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cITKk-DqYWE

Oh look they're making a sequel to that horrible Stealth movie...wait a tick, why is Northrop in this.

As long as Jessica Biel is in it...

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
bunch of US special forces guys in Syria
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/17/secret-us-mission-in-libya-revealed-after-air-force-posted-pictures

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

:raise:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Foxtrot Alpha talking about things and stuff
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/saudis-want-to-arm-syrian-rebels-with-anti-air-missiles-1760629284

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

:10bux: says they already have and are just floating a trial balloon of an idea to see how badly the US freaks their poo poo at this idea.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just ask Turkey

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Alaan posted:

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

:lol: that is exactly it.. "So hey guys about those stingers.."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfj3dPkeaqI

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'll become a touch more concerned when the Saudis start sending I-HAWK and Patriot batteries to Syria. All (more) MANPADs will do is make the Russians pack the attack helicopters back up and send them home, and force them to constantly patrol and sanitize the approach and departure lanes from their airbases.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hey guys, I finally managed to catch up to the end of the thread after months of reading.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion of Command and Control, that was a really interesting book. I was just curious if you guys had any other cold war reading suggestions, or if there are any Soviet counterpart books to Command and Control?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

jadebullet posted:

any Soviet counterpart books to Command and Control?
I'd be curious to read this too, but Command and Control was scary enough. I can't even imagine reading about what miracles saved us from accidental nuclear devastation at the hands of soviet conscripts.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

You know what I watch it on my phone and totally missed those, even when looking for them.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

jadebullet posted:

Hey guys, I finally managed to catch up to the end of the thread after months of reading.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion of Command and Control, that was a really interesting book. I was just curious if you guys had any other cold war reading suggestions, or if there are any Soviet counterpart books to Command and Control?
Check out Dead Hand

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dead-Hand-Untold-Dangerous/dp/0307387844

The Russians built a sort of quasi doomsday system to ensure they could retaliate if their command structure got wiped out. Ostensibly it was supposed to help the decision makers not make rash choices in the case of probable false alarms because they would know that the missiles could be fired even if they were dead, but I don't know that the psychology really works that way.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Everyone needs to read "Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet". It's about the SR-71 and you can usually pick up used copies on Amazon for pretty cheap.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
The mention of Dead Hand got me wondering how we've never sperged about numbers stations in this thread, since they're cold war as gently caress.

For a while, shortwave nerds wondered if this signal was a sort of "everything's OK" signal for Soviet Block forces and/or some kind of dead hand type system.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That definitely looks interesting, I am picking it up now.

Edit: Numbers stations are definitely awesome. Also, wasn't there some sort of Soviet antenna that was causing issues with our radios and televisions at certain times of the day but we never figured out why?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

jadebullet posted:

That definitely looks interesting, I am picking it up now.

Edit: Numbers stations are definitely awesome. Also, wasn't there some sort of Soviet antenna that was causing issues with our radios and televisions at certain times of the day but we never figured out why?

I think that might have been "The Woodpecker".

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Blistex posted:

I think that might have been "The Woodpecker".
I enjoy that they just laid that over WWV like it's no big deal.

edit: Also, this is awesome

wiki posted:

To combat this interference, amateur radio operators attempted to "jam" the signal by transmitting synchronized unmodulated continuous wave signals at the same pulse rate as the offending signal. They formed a club called The Russian Woodpecker Hunting Club.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Everyone needs to read "Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet". It's about the SR-71 and you can usually pick up used copies on Amazon for pretty cheap.

By "pretty cheap" you mean a couple hundo.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

jadebullet posted:

Fiction:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Before-Midnight-Stephen-Hunter/dp/0553282352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Party Plane Jones posted:

By "pretty cheap" you mean a couple hundo.

:thejoke:.