Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauki
May 11, 2010

Any goons have a spare t13 on sc tali? The only twinned I'm still missing, happy to roll it up & run it myself or whatever.
Trying to use poe.tr at this point is an exercise in futility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So, a simple and brilliant possibility for the Scion ascendancy class has occurred to me.

You make their advanced class six white linked gem (not jewel) sockets, which they unlock with points the same as anyone else. Meaning when the Scion clears the merciless labrynth they will have a free six link.

That would be both quite strong, avoid stepping on any other ascendancy classes toes, feel like a real reward to newer/poorer/casual players, and fail to actually approach the possible power of the other classes options.

I'm not saying that I think GGG is actually going to do this, I'm just saying that it'd be smart as hell.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1591601
Zana's map machine's gonna change every 3 months each time a challenge league ends. Challenge league map mods her device adds are now cheaper on average with higher IIQ bonuses, and the price and what leagues are available change every 3 months. Notably, Torment costs half as much this upcoming league, and Anarchy costs 3 chaos.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Holy poo poo that last sword. I may be wrong but that triple dips on the Deadly Dilettante node right? (24% increased phys damage with swords/claws/daggers) I know the Snowforged node can double dips with conversions so it looks like it should give 72% increased phys (along with a 36% phys node and two 12% attack speed :lol: nodes).

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Bugsy posted:

Holy poo poo that last sword. I may be wrong but that triple dips on the Deadly Dilettante node right? (24% increased phys damage with swords/claws/daggers) I know the Snowforged node can double dips with conversions so it looks like it should give 72% increased phys (along with a 36% phys node and two 12% attack speed :lol: nodes).

my first reaction was that sword would be garbage. I guess that one cluster is cool but it has no base crit, the base attack speed is pretty meh for 1hand, melee phys 1hand sucks as it is, and the meh damage on the weapon itself isn't going to be offset by ~10 free skill points of 'meh' nodes using that cluster, is it?

Maybe they will do something to make melee 1h strong again but as of right now I can't see a godly skill tree cluster saving a mediocre weapon used for a lovely meta.

Although, maybe this could be pretty decent as a mainhand for reave crit with the assassin ascendancy. I'm really struggling to think of a use for it otherwise...

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 23, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MannersPlease posted:

my first reaction was that sword would be garbage. I guess that one cluster is cool but it has no base crit, the base attack speed is pretty meh for 1hand, melee phys 1hand sucks as it is, and the meh damage on the weapon itself isn't going to be offset by ~10 free skill points of 'meh' nodes using that cluster, is it?

Maybe they will do something to make melee 1h strong again but as of right now I can't see a godly skill tree cluster saving a mediocre weapon used for a lovely meta.

Although, maybe this could be pretty decent as a mainhand for reave crit with the assassin ascendancy. I'm really struggling to think of a use for it otherwise...

Well, right now it can pick up that and the sword+axe cluster by Marauder for a total of 204% damage, 72% aspeed, and 75% global crit for a total of 10 nodes and some traveling you were going to do anyway. If 2.2 adds another cluster or 2 it can double dip, it could be interesting.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Well, right now it can pick up that and the sword+axe cluster by Marauder for a total of 204% damage, 72% aspeed, and 75% global crit for a total of 10 nodes and some traveling you were going to do anyway. If 2.2 adds another cluster or 2 it can double dip, it could be interesting.

Yeah this is true. I'm definitely skeptical, but maybe that's just pessimism after my lackluster 1h phys build this last league...

J
Jun 10, 2001

Count Uvula posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1591601
Zana's map machine's gonna change every 3 months each time a challenge league ends. Challenge league map mods her device adds are now cheaper on average with higher IIQ bonuses, and the price and what leagues are available change every 3 months. Notably, Torment costs half as much this upcoming league, and Anarchy costs 3 chaos.

Initial rotation has cheap anarchy and onslaught, wonder if that will help bring the price down on voll's devotion much.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The Varanustra sword might be an okay starter endgame weapon, but it pales in comparison to a proper 300pdps 1-hander that you really want. Stacking a ton of linear return multiplier won't be as effective as boosting your more multiplier with more base damage.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

The Varanustra sword might be an okay starter endgame weapon, but it pales in comparison to a proper 300pdps 1-hander that you really want. Stacking a ton of linear return multiplier won't be as effective as boosting your more multiplier with more base damage.

It's 270 PDPS with quality and you can easily hit 600%+ on a tree with it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kild posted:

It's 270 PDPS with quality and you can easily hit 600%+ on a tree with it.

According to my maths is 250pdps with quality. Whetstone quality is additive, not multiplicative, with local increased %physical damage.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I do think such a build is intriguing. How you you build your tree around it?

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 23, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

According to my maths is 250pdps with quality. Whetstone quality is additive, not multiplicative, with local increased %physical damage.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I do think such a build is intriguing. How you you build your tree around it?

Oh hmm. I thought they changed it back when they did it for armor.

e: apparently they didn't do it for either? :confused:

Kild fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 23, 2016

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Phobophilia posted:

Skip to 2:24 in the video to see what Hegemony was loving around with.. marauder and stack all the double dips. Can get some pretty high bonuses and keep tanky marauder trees if you want.

http://www.twitch.tv/hegemonytv/v/49183939

Next up, Hegemony starts talking about ideas for classes in ascendancy. Lots of filler, not extremely informative as you have to understand certain typical builds but at least you get perspective of high level content per the classes.
Hegemony Talks Ascendancy Classes and Potential builds
Hegemony Talks Ascendancy Classes and Potential builds pt2

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I'm also trying to figure out what i want to do for Ascendancy, was thinking of trying out an old school Mace "ground slam" but with new skill earthquake and reduced duration.

Take advantage of Fortify Nodes and Endurance Charge nodes, Leap slam around and earthquake.

Juggernaut

Links:
(chest/mace) Earthquake - Blood Magic - Fortify - Multistrike - Less duration (affects fortify but might be minor) - Melee physical
(chest/mace) leap Slam - Blood magic - Faster attacks - Stun - Endurance Charge on melee stun - Melee Physical
(helm) Determination - Hatred - Vengeance - Vaal haste
(gloves)Cast when damage taken (9) - blood rage (12) - increased duration - Enfeeble (level 1 works with low int)
(boots) Cast when damage taken (18) - Molten shell (20) - Increased duration - Summon Rock Golem

Was thinking of taking blood magic node but you sacrifice +50% armor from determination to replace it with "Added fire damage" for the make up of 36% damage of Hatred.. so it kind of evens out..

Might not have enough leech. (I play hardcore only)

Passive Tree

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Skip to 2:24 in the video to see what Hegemony was loving around with.. marauder and stack all the double dips. Can get some pretty high bonuses and keep tanky marauder trees if you want.

http://www.twitch.tv/hegemonytv/v/49183939

Next up, Hegemony starts talking about ideas for classes in ascendancy. Lots of filler, not extremely informative as you have to understand certain typical builds but at least you get perspective of high level content per the classes.
Hegemony Talks Ascendancy Classes and Potential builds
Hegemony Talks Ascendancy Classes and Potential builds pt2

I watched a bit of it, I threw together something like this.

God, I want to get everything on such a build.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

I'm planning to do something similar with my first character, but I'm going to go for permastun with heavy strike on bosses and maybe swap Earthquake out for ground slam in scary maps. I've not decided whether to go Juggernaut and run around with 8 or 9 endurance charges or go Slayer for the big boss damage. Hope this new skill doesn't shoot the cost of Marohi up too much

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

They're really trying to push this "manage your charges" thing, but how many skills even let you consume charges? Not counting Immortal Call and Phase Run, there's like four, and I don't see a Daresso's Passion Flicker Strike build happening. It'd be nice if they introduced some support gems that let you make any attack skill consume endurance/frenzy/power charges for some kind of benefit.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

They're really trying to push this "manage your charges" thing, but how many skills even let you consume charges? Not counting Immortal Call and Phase Run, there's like four, and I don't see a Daresso's Passion Flicker Strike build happening. It'd be nice if they introduced some support gems that let you make any attack skill consume endurance/frenzy/power charges for some kind of benefit.

They haven't shown off any new support gems, it's entirely possible such a thing exists (and would be fuckin' rad).

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Ascendancy build ideas?!

As the official grand master of Lightning Tendrils I'm compelled to do a crit Tendrils, Mind Over Matter Shadow with the Trickster tree. Whirling Blades in for Fortify and blast away. I'll use orb of storms for power charges and maybe blind.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I've been finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with the various builds in the game due to almost zero free time to play. The Ascendency stuff adds an extra layer on that that will make it even harder. Hopefully someone will come up with an edit for the OP that says something like "basic build a = take this ascendency tree, basic build b = take this other tree" etc.

e: actually, I'm sure all of the decent build threads will simply be updated with that info. Dur.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 23, 2016

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lungboy posted:

I've been finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with the various builds in the game due to almost zero free time to play. The Ascendency stuff adds an extra layer on that that will make it even harder. Hopefully someone will come up with an edit for the OP that says something like "basic build a = take this ascendency tree, basic build b = take this other tree" etc.

The OP will probably be updated with some new builds as soon as there are decent ones on the official forums, but almost guaranteed to be simple and incredibly effective:
Any currently popular melee builds with Champion (duelist), Juggernaut (marauder), or Berserker (marauder) ascendancy. All of them have atleast 6 passives that fit in perfectly with the current meta (which for melee characters is almost the same as it was like 9 months ago, with the notable change of melee splash being way more baller now).
Any currently popular crit builds with Assassin (shadow), or, with some concessions, Inquisitor (templar). I think crit is supposed to be rebalanced a bit in Ascendancy, but Assassin is a loving ridiculous ascendancy class that is pretty much guaranteed to more than make up for any changes to crit power. Inquisitor is less intuitive but has a great pair of crit passives and way more crit multiplier than the assassin tree (not counting Ambush), along with 3 decent choices for your last two points.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

bakka bakka posted:

Ascendancy build ideas?!

As the official grand master of Lightning Tendrils I'm compelled to do a crit Tendrils, Mind Over Matter Shadow with the Trickster tree. Whirling Blades in for Fortify and blast away. I'll use orb of storms for power charges and maybe blind.

Crit non-assassin? why?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Someone please explain Deadly Infusion in the shadow assassin tree to me. Does it boost base crit chance on spells? Does it boost base crit chance on weapons?
With about 600% crit (assuming 6 charges)that is an extra 21% crit on top of everything... insane?

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 23, 2016

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Mikojan posted:

Someone please explain Deadly Infusion in the shadow assassin tree to me. Does it boost base crit chance on spells? Does it boost base crit chance on weapons?

Yes and yes.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Lungboy posted:

e: actually, I'm sure all of the decent build threads will simply be updated with that info. Dur.

I'm definitely planning to update the OP with some builds once the expansion drops but I'm gonna need help from y'all as to what builds are actually good. Ascendancy is going to flip everything on its head, again. I wasn't happy with the list of builds for the current patch but it was tougher than I expected keeping on top of what is good and what isn't.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Sharay posted:

Yes and yes.

Well gently caress me.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

The Real Foogla posted:

Crit non-assassin? why?

It's not difficult to get good crit on the top of the tree, it is difficult to get good defense. It's definitely an option just ine I'm not particularly interested in.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hauki posted:

Any goons have a spare t13 on sc tali? The only twinned I'm still missing, happy to roll it up & run it myself or whatever.
Trying to use poe.tr at this point is an exercise in futility.

I think I do. I'll try to remember to log in tonight after work.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

I think I do. I'll try to remember to log in tonight after work.

Awesome, that would be great. I can throw some stuff your way if you care. I should be done with work by 4pm est.

Also on crit chat, word on nugi'so stream yesterday was that crit multi is potentially being made additive instead of multiplicative and they may also be reducing base crit multi (?). So expect it to still be great, but probably less effective per %.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
whoop, 2c Onslaught. I look forward to the tide of Voll's Devotions.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
I don't think cheap Onslaught will make Voll's that much more prevalent.

Right now it costs 8c for Onslaught, so it's not prohibitively expensive. The majority of the cost will still be getting enough agates/chance orbs.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Most Voll's come from the Brittle Emperor card anyways, out of the 22 for sale right now on poe.trade, only one is uncorrupted.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
The big change I hope for is reworking the map mods for curse and stun immunity. They make me not want to play builds that focus on either of those mechanics because it feels like I am being taxed to run maps. The zana change is a big plus though.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, people love to compare curse immune on maps to something like Blood Magic on maps and say that it's fine. But there's way too many curse immune rares and the curse immune map mod is one of the most common map mods, whereas Blood Magic is incredibly rare and only the highest tiers of maps. I actually WANTED to roll Blood Magic on maps this league and barely ever saw it.

The new Curse/Chaos Occultist Ascendancy class looks awesome, and had me tempted to play a ED+Contagion build again, until I remembered curse immunity.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hauki posted:

Awesome, that would be great. I can throw some stuff your way if you care. I should be done with work by 4pm est.

Also on crit chat, word on nugi'so stream yesterday was that crit multi is potentially being made additive instead of multiplicative and they may also be reducing base crit multi (?). So expect it to still be great, but probably less effective per %.

Should be on around 8 est or so.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Cinara posted:

Most Voll's come from the Brittle Emperor card anyways, out of the 22 for sale right now on poe.trade, only one is uncorrupted.
For 2c you get 12-18% more iiq, not much more expensive than chisels. Could be worth it on high level maps just for the quantity, and then voll's could drop with some luck.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Should be on around 8 est or so.

Ended up buying an already rolled one off a pubbie for cheap, so I'm set for this league. Thanks anyway though!

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I for one look forward to having things to spend 2 chaos on with all my decent maps rather than only spending 10c at a time on the most expensive maps which I feel like are barely even worth running due to cost.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

I'm throwing around ideas for my 2H Molten Strike build again. I noticed that my damage was suffering against bosses without a Fire Penetration gem, and the 40% physical damage MS has probably isn't doing anything against enemies with decent armor, so I figured I'd set up a build that makes it do 100% fire damage with Avatar of Fire. I also switched over to 2H swords, and figured I'd run a high APS/pDPS rare or a Doomsower, but now that I'm looking at it, I wonder if I shouldn't just scrap Avatar of Fire and run Oro's Sacrifice. So now I've got two builds I'm throwing around.

+ Gets full benefits from physical damage, most notably Iron Grip and Herald of Ash
+ 16% attack speed from pathing to Blade Master
+ Gearing is slightly easier/cheaper, probably
- Lower base damage
- Leap Slam now does 50% damage :(
- Avatar of Fire screws up flasks; Atziri's Promise does nothing, and Vessel of Vinktar gets no crazy lightning leech (more notable as I'm running a Poacher's Mark aura)

Oro's Sacrifice setup
+ Higher base damage
+ Not taking AoF, Iron Grip, and Blade Master frees up some nodes, which I put into Celestial Judgment and another jewel socket
+ Full benefits from damage flasks
- No benefits from physical damage; Iron Grip and HoA are out, but the Duelist's 2H damage nodes can be salvaged with a Fireborn jewel
- Lower attack speed
- 10% increased physical and fire damage taken, uuuuuuugggghhhhh

I'll probably go with Oro's Sacrifice, but none of the particulars will really matter until level 67.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Infinite Monkeys posted:

For 2c you get 12-18% more iiq, not much more expensive than chisels. Could be worth it on high level maps just for the quantity, and then voll's could drop with some luck.

Oh yea, I completely agree that it's worth doing and will increase the drop rate on Voll's, though not sure it will be significant. Overall these Zana changes are awesome and introduce a chaos sink that more people are likely to use. 2-4c for mid tier maps is completely worth it, instead of only doing the expensive mods on super high tier maps.

• Locked thread