Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/kesha-sobs-judge-denies-sony-records-injunction-request-article-1.2537490

quote:

Sony has offered to let her work with another producer, but Kesha said she fears the company won’t promote her music as heavily if she’s not working with Gottwald, their biggest hitmaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

The emotive issue there is that, unfortunately, this means it's commercially beneficial to let your rapist walk free and even get to keep doing it.

More to the point Kesha's lawyer has a fair argument that giving her a different producer just leaves her set up to fail since he's more profitable to keep in the upper echelons and she's a single artist.

I wouldn't say it is commercially beneficial, just commercially neutral from a contract standpoint. And ultimately, isn't this where the criminal justice system should come in? It isn't really the place of contract law or civil court to punish rapists or encourage reporting their crimes.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

It's depressing how many people don't realise this is intended to be a parody including at least one contributor to this thread.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

TinTower posted:

Anyway, they've revealed the name of Crossrail: the Elizabeth Line.
:barf:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pissflaps posted:

It's depressing how many people don't realise this is intended to be a parody including at least one contributor to this thread.

To head this off at the pass, the only thing it's a parody of is Three Lions.

The video was posted by - and "stars" - UKIP's candidate for Stockton North in last year's GE and is entirely sincere.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The judge didn't dismiss the allegation entirely, either, she just said something along the lines of "there isn't enough here for me to pass judgement on, but if you come back with something concrete then I will", which seemed like a fair compromise.

Apparently the producer involved has been accused of this before, and given that and the scummy nature of the record industry in general, I'm pretty certain she's telling the truth. My issue was solely with the assertion that accusations of sexual assault should automatically void any contracts between accuser and accused, because that would end up being a total shitshow even if in this case it would be correct.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

Is the one where a bunch of sad looking millionaires and bourgy fucks attempt to make me give a poo poo about EU by saying how good deregulation is while a backing track that sounds like Coldplay wrote a jingle for a herpes medication commercial plays in the background also a parody?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkSf7XSr2CI

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

No no, this is fine, see, if a scientist wants to lobby the government based on their research, they just have to use their own private funds to do it.

If they don't have any money invested in private enterprise, well, that's their own silly fault isn't it?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

MrL_JaKiri posted:

To head this off at the pass, the only thing it's a parody of is Three Lions.

The video was posted by - and "stars" - UKIP's candidate for Stockton North in last year's GE and is entirely sincere.

Cue a 10 page derail by Pissflaps on the semantics of the word parody in order to cover up his mistake.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Serotonin posted:

Cue a 10 page derail by Pissflaps on the semantics of the word parody in order to cover up his mistake.

Shameful that he doesn't recognise local candidates tbh

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Are parodies troops?

Nice, nice

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Serotonin posted:

Cue a 10 page derail by people posting about pissflaps before he even does.

Wait a minute......

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you reply to or post about Pissflaps you're a loving idiot, same goes for if you think pointing out the irony of this post is clever.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dabir posted:

same goes for if you think pointing out the irony of this post is clever.

I... poo poo :negative:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My MP is voting to leave, first time I've agreed with him on something http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2016/feb/23/how-will-your-mp-vote-in-the-eu-referendum

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Mines undeclared, much like a lot of his income.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

No no, this is fine, see, if a scientist wants to lobby the government based on their research, they just have to use their own private funds to do it.

If they don't have any money invested in private enterprise, well, that's their own silly fault isn't it?

The article had me under the impression it was the results they weren't allowed to use, it's not quite as bad as I thought but it still begs the question if we're supposed to be producing research of importance and relevance with this state funding why are they making restrictions on doing just that?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

If I were a betting man I'd put some money on us voting to leave. The stay camp isn't offering much argument. Much like Cameron's dealings in Europe they're focusing on business and deregulation, and can't speak to any of the benefits of the EU for normal people, whilst the leave camp can just scream "IMMIGRANTS! BRUSSELS REGULATING BANANAS!" and gain far more traction, even if it's rubbish.

Do Labour really want a voice in this fight? Surely there's plenty to gain from just standing back and watching the Tories chew their own legs off, whilst Labour focus on domestic issues.

winegums fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 23, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe I should bet a tenner on leaving, I've never done more than a sweepstakes before. Might as well enter the big time on supposed armageddon.

Geddit? Because armageddon outta here! Hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

winegums posted:

If I were a betting man I'd put some money on us voting to leave. The stay camp isn't offering much argument. Much like Cameron's dealings in Europe they're focusing on business and deregulation, and can't speak to any of the benefits of the EU for normal people, whilst the leave camp can just scream "IMMIGRANTS! BRUSSELS REGULATING BANANAS!" and gain far more traction, even if it's rubbish.

Do Labour really want a voice in this fight? Surely there's plenty to gain from just standing back and watching the Tories chew their own legs off, whilst Labour focus on domestic issues.

Never underestimate peoples ability to resist change.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Someone said you cant base an economy on coding apps I think they're wrong we just have to do it in a very specific way what I propose is that as us over the age of 20 dont understand technology at all we get our sixth formers to do it, it will be a good learning exercise for them and give them transferable skills to help in the job market place later. What's more is we could pay them a 'digital dividend' that can be used to deduct from tuition fees in exchange for the apps.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

winegums posted:

If I were a betting man I'd put some money on us voting to leave. The stay camp isn't offering much argument. Much like Cameron's dealings in Europe they're focusing on business and deregulation, and can't speak to any of the benefits of the EU.
Being fair, the Leave side are also focusing disproportionately on business and red tape and immigrants. It's been a campaign of the basest most boss-benefiting arguments all round. There's not a left argument to be seen either side (I refuse to dignify Galloway and his "we could enter into a union with Iran" as anything, let alone leftist).

quote:

That's probably a sensible idea. Watch one of the failed leaders ruin it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

winegums posted:

Absolutely! Labour should be supportive of In purely to cause the Tories more trouble. Cameron's a lefty! He is, he agrees with Corbyn the Lefty.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

StoneOfShame posted:

Someone said you cant base an economy on coding apps I think they're wrong we just have to do it in a very specific way what I propose is that as us over the age of 20 dont understand technology at all we get our sixth formers to do it, it will be a good learning exercise for them and give them transferable skills to help in the job market place later. What's more is we could pay them a 'digital dividend' that can be used to deduct from tuition fees in exchange for the apps.

I'm printing this out and locking it away so I can bring it out in 5 years when this is a genuine policy announcement.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Wasn't the digital dividend a lib dem policy during the coalition?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I thought it was from The Thick of It??

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Being fair, the Leave side are also focusing disproportionately on business and red tape and immigrants. It's been a campaign of the basest most boss-benefiting arguments all round. There's not a left argument to be seen either side (I refuse to dignify Galloway and his "we could enter into a union with Iran" as anything, let alone leftist).
There's not really a left argument to be made. A competent Labour government in 2020 (a big ask on a number of levels) could potentially do some good if we're out by that point. But it involves a lot of ifs.
A competent Tory government in 2020 could also do some unspeakably foul things if we're out by that point.

The EU is obviously a hive of neoliberal shitheads, but if you're at all a member of the precariat you should (imo) be prepared to work yourself to death campaigning for your local Labour (or SNP) candidate before you decide to vote leave.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Lt. Danger posted:

I thought it was from The Thick of It??

There was no difference between the two.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I think this shows how good The Thick of It was, I know what Im doing with my day off! Does anyone remember what the actual policy someone suggested in it that the government then used because I heard that was Iannucci stopped doing it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
My gut feeling is Dave wants to leave, out-deregulate the EU, and Make Britain Great Again by attracting masses of international business to the UK London through preferential tax arrangements.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I had actually forgotten it really was from TTOI. Jesus gently caress

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Being fair, the Leave side are also focusing disproportionately on business and red tape and immigrants.

Problem is no matter how much people bang on about the economic benefits of migrants, economic arguments are still poo poo and distant to the average person. The social/cultural arguments of "coming here, taking our jobs, suicide bombers, don't even speak english, don't integrate" stuff is far more visible. You can see people dressed differently talking in a language you don't understand, you can't see a 3% increase in GDP or whatever.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

StoneOfShame posted:

I think this shows how good The Thick of It was, I know what Im doing with my day off! Does anyone remember what the actual policy someone suggested in it that the government then used because I heard that was Iannucci stopped doing it.

'The green bank'

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
digital dividends was actually one of them that was used, it was a gove not lib dem proposal though, the other was the business bank.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

StoneOfShame posted:

The community bank. Also omnishambles made it into PMQ's and that sealed the deal.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'm sure there was a huge sharing of rhetoric going on between the fourth sector pathfinders and anything involving the big society.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im going to watch the third series again tonight. Best one imo.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Oberleutnant posted:

There's not really a left argument to be made. A competent Labour government in 2020 (a big ask on a number of levels) could potentially do some good if we're out by that point. But it involves a lot of ifs.
A competent Tory government in 2020 could also do some unspeakably foul things if we're out by that point.

The EU is obviously a hive of neoliberal shitheads, but if you're at all a member of the precariat you should (imo) be prepared to work yourself to death campaigning for your local Labour (or SNP) candidate before you decide to vote leave.

Well there is the TTIP/NHS stuff: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/22/ttip-deal-real-serious-risk-nhs-leading-qc

The Remain response seems to be a combination of "Tories/Blairities would do TTIP anyway" and "no you see privatising the NHS is actually good".

The argument that the Tories would be able to pull off a UK only TTIP equivalent in a few years doesn't seem all that believable given that TTIP negotiations have been going on for years already and it sounds like they still won't be done for years. Funnily enough the difficulty of the UK negotiating trade treaties is something the Remain side are keen to point out the rest of the time, but not when it comes to TTIP.

Although this is perhaps a bit irrelevant in the context of a Tory government that wants to further privatise the NHS anyway, even without international treaties requiring them to do it.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Dear Mum, I'm going to be a Muslim: Anger over pupils' RE project that asked them to write a letter to their parents explaining why they were converting to Islam

quote:

It was meant to be a creative writing exercise as part of a Religious Education lesson.

But when pupils were asked to write a letter to their parents saying they had converted to Islam, it was met with outrage.

The 12 and 13-year-olds at Beaucamps High School in Guernsey were asked to consider what it would be like to become a Muslim and to write a letter to their loved ones explaining their decision.

But many parents blasted the homework, saying it was dangerous when so many youngsters were fleeing Britain to wage jihad in Syria.

One said: ‘The idiot who thought this one up is not fit to be at the school or in education.’

Muslims make up less than one per cent of the population on Guernsey and the island recently refused to accept any Syrian refugees.

Gemma Gough said she and her husband Will had complained to Guernsey’s education department, and added that their son Thomas would not complete the work.

Writing on Facebook, she said: ‘Sorry, but both Will and I feel very strongly – as do many, many other parents – that this is not acceptable. Kids are too impressionable, and imagine if these letters got in the wrong hands in years to come.’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

My gut feeling is Dave wants to leave, out-deregulate the EU, and Make Britain Great Again by attracting masses of international business to the UK London through preferential tax arrangements.

Eh, I figure he wants to do that in the EU. I doubt he really understands what he's doing, though. He is basically a really thick dog at the cockpit of a plane.

• Locked thread