Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Cool, I've been meaning to find time to watch it so I can read the manga. :3:

That show convinced me to start reading the manga, both are good.

I'm about to start episode three of Spice and Wolf, liking the atmosphere and characters so far. I always enjoy traveling/adventure stuff (Slayers, Kino's Journey, Mushishi, etc.) so this was a good pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Chihayfuru 1-11

Wow it's taken me way too long to post about this.

So once again, I went into this show pretty much completely blind. Squark was kind enough to give me my second bit of information going into it(The first being 'this show is called Chihayafuru'): it's a sports anime. So I start watching thinking: poo poo, I'm going to be stuck with the same bullshit sports anime cliches I hate (I am not a fan of sports anime). Then I saw that it was about karuta and thought to myself "Oh! It was a joke! Because karuta isn't really a sport at all!"

The remaining episodes have done a wonderful job of proving that statement entirely wrong in every possible way.

I was an athlete for most of my life, and I'd say that Chihayafuru is the only thing I've seen that's actually managed to capture the feeling of playing a sport competitively. Every single aspect all I can think is how familiar that feeling is. They get everything perfect, from the weird mind games to the stress breaking/helping people.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

AnoHito posted:

Chihayfuru 1-11

Wow it's taken me way too long to post about this.

So once again, I went into this show pretty much completely blind. Squark was kind enough to give me my second bit of information going into it(The first being 'this show is called Chihayafuru'): it's a sports anime. So I start watching thinking: poo poo, I'm going to be stuck with the same bullshit sports anime cliches I hate (I am not a fan of sports anime). Then I saw that it was about karuta and thought to myself "Oh! It was a joke! Because karuta isn't really a sport at all!"

The remaining episodes have done a wonderful job of proving that statement entirely wrong in every possible way.

I was an athlete for most of my life, and I'd say that Chihayafuru is the only thing I've seen that's actually managed to capture the feeling of playing a sport competitively. Every single aspect all I can think is how familiar that feeling is. They get everything perfect, from the weird mind games to the stress breaking/helping people.

It's so good. I hope you'll continue to enjoy it (and am positive you will)!

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Akatsuki no Yona doesn't really get its momentum until a bit after the first five episodes, but heck please watch it.

Gundam 00
Humanity Has Declined
Katanagatari
Nabari no Ou
One Outs

Nabari no Ou It's a pretty neat show from what I remember of it.

Welcome to my I'm a bad friend who doesn't watch the things my friends recommend me list. I'm sure there are others that'll show up next time I swing through the thread with a list as well :suicide:.

Arikawa Under the Bridge
Baccano
Bokurano
Claymore
Dennou Coil
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the Shell
Golgo 13
Hyouka
Monster
Nichibros
Paranoia Agent
Space Dandy
Spice and Wolf
Tatami Galaxy
Tiger and Bunny
Wolf's Rain

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Nabari no Ou It's a pretty neat show from what I remember of it.

Welcome to my I'm a bad friend who doesn't watch the things my friends recommend me list. I'm sure there are others that'll show up next time I swing through the thread with a list as well :suicide:.

Arikawa Under the Bridge
Baccano
Bokurano
Claymore
Dennou Coil
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the Shell
Golgo 13
Hyouka
Monster
Nichibros
Paranoia Agent
Space Dandy
Spice and Wolf
Tatami Galaxy
Tiger and Bunny
Wolf's Rain

Goddamn thats a hell of a list. Think there's 4 of my top 5 there. Tatami Galaxy is my favourite of the list so start with that I guess.

Katanagatari
Casshern Sins
Turn A Gundam
Haibane Renmei
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Psycho Pass

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Watching too much Chihayafuru seems to be bad for my heart, so I'm going to take a break from that for now. In the meantime

Kevino07 posted:

Goddamn thats a hell of a list. Think there's 4 of my top 5 there. Tatami Galaxy is my favourite of the list so start with that I guess.

Katanagatari
Casshern Sins
Turn A Gundam
Haibane Renmei
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Psycho Pass

Haibane Renmei is a beautiful show. Watch it.

1. Toradora!
2. Love Live!
3. And The Town Still Moves
4. Golgo 13
5. Concrete Revolutio
6. Nobunaga the Fool

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

AnoHito posted:

1. Toradora!
2. Love Live!
4. Golgo 13
5. Concrete Revolutio
6. Nobunaga the Fool

Out of those, I've only seen the last two. So you should watch Concrete Revolutio, because I really love that series. And I wouldn't wish Nobunaga the Fool on you.

My list:

Kaitou Saint Tail
Terra e
The Big O
Gosick
Nagi no Asukara
Punch Line

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've watched the first three episodes of Nabari no Ou. The ninjas in a modern setting premise is pretty interesting so far, and the protagonist using his charm to fight his enemies in contrast to his normally apathetic personality is a highlight. The sound direction does seem a bit off sometimes--actions or voice acting rather often don't convey as much weight as they seem they should--and the ultra thin, long limbs reminds me unfortunately of xxxHolic.

I do like how 3/4 of the protagonist's group is played by Gintama VAs though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've made it through the first five episodes of Kino's Journey. i always saw the show mentioned in the same breath as Mushishi and Mononoke, but "traveling to strange places" is vague enough that i didn't know what to expect. turns out it uses the episodic format to pose philosophical questions about human nature/society, and sometimes construct its own sort of fairy tales. it's hard to pick any single bit of these first five episodes out as my favorite, from the vignettes of episode 3 coming full circle at the end, to the (so far) only genuinely sweet/not melancholy country that tried to create traditions for travelers. for what it's worth, i also appreciate the early reveal of at least some of Kino's backstory. it isn't necessary, but shows us an interesting country in addition to answering some of the questions surrounding her.

Kino and Hermes are also a fun pair to follow. they've got an easy partnership, and interactions/observations that kind of mirror and work through the same steps a viewer might have in these odd countries. Hermes being unable to use idioms is a pretty cute gimmick too. the subtle ways the show is able to set Kino apart from countries' residents visually helps the sense of otherworldliness the show has. plus, the soundtrack seems to help that, but also can create a meditative or folksy feel. heck, the show is also really good at using silence even. i don't really know what's up with the screen filter though :shobon:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm gonna repost my amended list...once i finish the rest of Kino's Journey :sweatdrop:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Tatami Galaxy Episode 1:

Opening scene was a bit frenetic dialoguewise for my tastes, but I've heard that the whole speedy dialogue deal is a Thing in this show so I can't hold it against it.

Digging the art style quite a bit.

Episode 2+

Oh :iiam: Deja Vu.

I was glad to see by the time I hit episode 5 the iteration premise hadn't worn itself thin, next thing you know I've thrown together a couple of pulled pork sandwiches, tossed back a few glugs of whiskey, and just stayed up all night finishing out the series. Whoops!

All the little changes throughout the iterations of the mainstay scenes were very amusing, but the last two episodes really hammered it in as a series that I enjoyed with how everything got tied up together. The ED is probably one of my favorites I've watched, it's super lowkey and a nice cap on an episode.

Not my favorite show ever but it's up there and was a solid recommendation that I'll not hesitate to give myself should if I see it on a list in here :v:. Nice choice Kevino07.

Van Dine posted:

Out of those, I've only seen the last two. So you should watch Concrete Revolutio, because I really love that series. And I wouldn't wish Nobunaga the Fool on you.

My list:

Kaitou Saint Tail
Terra e
The Big O
Gosick
Nagi no Asukara
Punch Line

Out of those, I've only seen The Big O. So have fun!. :toot:

Round 2! I probably won't have time to just block out 6 hours to watch anime any time soon so less than a one day turnaround this time I think, heh.

Arikawa Under the Bridge
Baccano
Bokurano
Claymore
Dennou Coil
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the Shell
Golgo 13
Hyouka
Monster
Nichibros
Paranoia Agent
Space Dandy
Spice and Wolf
Tatami Galaxy: 4/5
Tiger and Bunny
Wolf's Rain

With a couple other titles I remembered.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've watched the first seven episodes of Yona and it's really good, although I'm not the biggest fan of the character design (it feels a bit... generic?) and the comedy switch to chibi stuff can be a little jarring at times. I really like the choice to use "period-appropriate" music, too, it's neat. I'm definitely going to finish it over the next couple of weeks.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

The Big O, episode 1

I was struck by how good and appropriate the background music was (although as for the ending song, I hated that). The art style is interesting and gives a U.S. cartoony feel to it, which is added to by the setting. I'm not sure if its art appeals to me, exactly, but it's got a clear sense of style and is setting its atmosphere well, so thumbs up to that. As for the characters, so we have a negotiator/giant robot pilot Bruce Wayne type who likes to pose in an understated but artistic way, and a super heavy and fast deadpan robot girl who for some reason seems to think she needs a squishy human bodyguard. I like them both. I think it's fair for a protagonist to be introduced with sunglasses and a sweet Batmobile-wannabe car and a rocket-briefcase.

I knew there was going to be an amnesiac city plot, but I was surprised to hear the amnesia event happened 40 years before the show is set and the only people who care about the memories are the elderly. I wonder how the amnesia plot is going to play out. The only thing which I didn't like much about the ep was the giant robot fight, which was just a little on the dull side, but perhaps there'll be improvement in that department later.

All in all, The Big O looks like good stuff. I started watching with high expectations and wasn't disappointed. I'll come back later to comment on further eps.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Van Dine posted:

The Big O, episode 1

I was struck by how good and appropriate the background music was (although as for the ending song, I hated that). The art style is interesting and gives a U.S. cartoony feel to it, which is added to by the setting. I'm not sure if its art appeals to me, exactly, but it's got a clear sense of style and is setting its atmosphere well, so thumbs up to that. As for the characters, so we have a negotiator/giant robot pilot Bruce Wayne type who likes to pose in an understated but artistic way, and a super heavy and fast deadpan robot girl who for some reason seems to think she needs a squishy human bodyguard. I like them both. I think it's fair for a protagonist to be introduced with sunglasses and a sweet Batmobile-wannabe car and a rocket-briefcase.

I knew there was going to be an amnesiac city plot, but I was surprised to hear the amnesia event happened 40 years before the show is set and the only people who care about the memories are the elderly. I wonder how the amnesia plot is going to play out. The only thing which I didn't like much about the ep was the giant robot fight, which was just a little on the dull side, but perhaps there'll be improvement in that department later.

All in all, The Big O looks like good stuff. I started watching with high expectations and wasn't disappointed. I'll come back later to comment on further eps.

She needs Roger Smith to protect her because she's a one-of-a-kind android made from lost technology. If anyone found out about that, she'd be pretty hosed just due to the high number of people wanting their hands on her.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Arikawa Under the Bridge
Baccano
Bokurano
Claymore
Dennou Coil
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the Shell
Golgo 13
Hyouka
Monster
Nichibros
Paranoia Agent
Space Dandy
Spice and Wolf
Tatami Galaxy: 4/5
Tiger and Bunny
Wolf's Rain

Enjoy your Economics 101 class. It's probably one of my favorite anime ever.

The anime I'm going to post from, I will be watching the dub, because it's mostly going to be background noise while I play Fire Emblem. Some of these are shows I've seen already but want to see the dub, others are ones I haven't gotten around to but want to watch:
Kill la Kill
Durarara x2 Ten
Attack on Titan
Love Live! School Idol Project
Free! and also Free! -Eternal Summer- (Specifically, both seasons. Haven't seen the dub yet at all)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 18, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Senerio posted:

The anime I'm going to post from, I will be watching the dub, because it's mostly going to be background noise while I play Fire Emblem. Some of these are shows I've seen already but want to see the dub, others are ones I haven't gotten around to but want to watch:
Kill la Kill
Durarara x2 Ten
Attack on Titan
Love Live! School Idol Project
Free! and also Free! -Eternal Summer- (Specifically, both seasons. Haven't seen the dub yet at all)

I want to know how much gayer the Love Live dub was that it got a 16+ rating in Australia, so I'm going to say watch that.

Short list for me this time, I want to clear out some stuff I watched part of a while ago:
  • Railgun S
  • Index II
  • Symphogear G
  • Diebuster

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Finally got around to watching Episode 1-3 of Spice and Wolf per Senerio's recommendation after having a really annoying morning and it was a perfect slow burn to chill me out.

Lawrence being super pragmatic toward Horo about wanting to make cash on her initial appearance and Horo ripping a dude off later on was utterly fantastic. The pretty much instant casual relationship between Horo and Lawrence was nice as well. That they're able to dance around the little issues that are upsetting them without dwelling on it for ages was fairly pleasant. I'm sure something big will come up eventually, but with the pacing so far I imagine it'll be satisfying.

I've gotten used to all the super experimental and stylized art some shows nowadays are using so it was really refreshing to go back to something more stylistically simple. Just some anime rear end anime :v:.

Hopefully I can set some time aside to watch some more here shortly! It's already looking like something I'm going to watch back to front though.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Her name is Korbo, thank you very much.

(Official translation of her name is Holo, as per the original writer.)

I'm glad you're liking it.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 23, 2016

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Concrete Revolutio 1-3

It's....okay I guess? To be honest I'm really not feeling it all that much. It seems like it has a lot of good ideas, but it's just way to all over the place for me to enjoy it. The switching back and forth between two already kind of nebulous time periods isn't really helping that either. Art style is pretty neat though. The setting also seems kind of cool if they'd ever actually focus on it in any kind of direct way. I give it a solid C+. Might go back and watch the rest at some point, but that point is not now.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

[*]
  • Railgun S
  • Index II
  • Symphogear G
  • Diebuster

Index is a fun show despite its many flaws that people like very loudly pointing out, so go watch more of that.

1. Toradora!
2. Jojo Stardust Crusaders
4. Golgo 13
5. Gochuuman wa Usagi Desu ka?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The trick with Concrete Revolution is that it explains very little outright and doesn't give you enough information to piece together what's happening until episodes ~7-8, just FYI. Not saying you should go back to it if you didn't like it, but it's worth keeping in mind if you felt like you'd like it more if it explained things more.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

7 episodes seems like a lot to finally come together, but I'll keep it in mind for a few weeks from now when I may or may not suddenly feel like watching it again.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Senerio posted:

Her name is Korbo, thank you very much.

(Official translation of her name is Holo, as per the original writer.)

I'm glad you're liking it.

Aha! Had to decide between the dub and sub and the dub was immediately grating on me so I watched it subbed over at the friend's place who initially recommended it (I continue to be bad friend for taking like 6 years to watch something they said I should :sweatdrop:) and that's what they had on the screen.

Holo is definitely makes more sense to me now that you've pointed it out, but Korbo it is from now on :v:.

Watched the next two episodes today and I'm continuing down the path of loving the show, that little ramp of tension I was expecting to come along got here earlier than I was expecting in episode 4, I forgot this is a pretty short show, and it was really funny the way it just kind of comes to an anti-climax in 5.

Show is just in general growing on me and I'll definitely be watching all the way through to the end.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Both seasons come in two arcs per season.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Oh dang :aaa:, I didn't even know there was a second season! :woop: :homebrew:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah. I like season 2 a lot. Overall, I prefer the dub cast, mostly because I much prefer dub Holo's deeper voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wINa_YZj-kg

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

That sounds a lot better than I remember, huh maybe I'll have to switch back over to the dubbed stuff. Maybe it was just the mood I was the morning I started watching making me be irrational about things :shrug:.

Anyhow, thanks again for the solid recommendation! I have a feeling I'm going to be saying that a lot as I work my way through the list my friends have suggested over the years.

I'll pop back in once I've worked my way through all Spice and Wolf has to offer and then throw my hat back in the ring.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

:woop:

:negative:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

That sounds a lot better than I remember, huh maybe I'll have to switch back over to the dubbed stuff. Maybe it was just the mood I was the morning I started watching making me be irrational about things :shrug:.

Anyhow, thanks again for the solid recommendation! I have a feeling I'm going to be saying that a lot as I work my way through the list my friends have suggested over the years.

I'll pop back in once I've worked my way through all Spice and Wolf has to offer and then throw my hat back in the ring.

god no, dubs are aids

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Davincie posted:

god no, dubs are aids

They're good actually.

Some of them, anyway.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
No. Stop this trolling at once.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNoITwTJiEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnbKF_uosrA

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

god i hate the baccano dub, and it's literally always an example people cite for "good dubs"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

god i hate the baccano dub, and it's literally always an example people cite for "good dubs"

Because it is a good dub :colbert:.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because it is a good dub :colbert:.

you're entitled to that opinion, which i know is widely held

unfortunately

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyway i'm down to the last ep of Kino + the two "movies" so i'll repost my list

- Vifam 
- Patalliro 
- Kino's Journey 
- Gankutsuou 
- Cutie Honey (1973)
- Now and Then, Here and There

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What do you dislike about the Baccano dub? It's certainly better than a lot of the garbage we get as usual fare, and the actors come off as appropriately psychotic for their respective characters.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

What do you dislike about the Baccano dub? It's certainly better than a lot of the garbage we get as usual fare, and the actors come off as appropriately psychotic for their respective characters.

i feel like the dub was/is sold hard on the accents, which don't sound good to me. i get that voice acting is a limited pool, but my already limited interest in dubs shrinks even more when it's the same people but putting on bad accents. which then people fawn over as adding "authenticity" to the series.

e: this is the same reason a lot of the JoJo dub is bad

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Jojo dub owns you swine

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i liked the accents

they were fun to listen to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
If we're talking good dubs, I personally thought the Steins;Gate dub was fantastic. Original cast was great too, of course, but I preferred the dub.

• Locked thread