Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Giving you an animal companion and not only stripping out coop, the best feature of 4, but not letting your coop partner be your goddamn saber tooth tiger, is an unforgivable crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Khanstant posted:

I have similar suspicions, except now they've added a "crafting" system, which actually just means inventory and resource clicking bullshit instead of anything resembling craft at all. From the screens, it looks pretty bog standard - kill X of this for guts, and click on a bunch of conspicuous resource nodes. I like the idea of a caveman game and even psychic animal control magic, but I feel like I already know exactly how this game will end up feeling like.

Wy the gently caress are such systems even called "crafting." It's loving grocery shopping. You have a list, you go to the place and get the things to take home.

That's not even an "added feature", it's been in since 3.

E]forgot the quote :downs:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 23, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, you were able to unleash animals on enemies in 3 but you had no control over them. Here, in the absence of guns, you need animal superpowers!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
You know what might make crafting more interesting in games? If you had to actually assemble the items in some way and the final stats get determined by how good a job you do.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Enderzero posted:

You know what might make crafting more interesting in games? If you had to actually assemble the items in some way and the final stats get determined by how good a job you do.

I'm sorry but are you asking Ubisoft to do something other than gather the poo poo, select the poo poo and then have the poo poo? That sounds like changing the formula.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Enderzero posted:

You have to put it together, surgeon simulator style, with one hand.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

ubisoft can't make assassin's creed every year so they're gonna switch to far cry

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

ubisoft can't make assassin's creed every year

optimistic

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/far-cry-primal

Reviews are out. Is anyone getting this today? I am!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm skipping this one. I literally just finished Far Cry 4 a couple of days ago (bought it during the Christmas sale) and while I'm a big fan of the series, put in a ton of hours, finished most of the side stuff, it's really something I can only do once every few years. And even then, I can't help but feel like Primal's concept would have been better served in a smaller package, something the size of Blood Dragon.

E: Honestly, I kinda think Far Cry needs to go forward in time, not backward. Make the player faster, give them more, smoother movement options. My dream FC game would be set on some weird, alien planet. Jetpacks, son! Fucken spacemonsters! More insane, African, ex-warlords but this time he's driving a moonbuggy! Remember the cancelled Prey 2? Rip that poo poo off.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 23, 2016

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I dunno, a lot of the reviews say the story and characters are a bit bland. Unlike previous far cry games, the protagonist and antagonist in this one aren't awesome and off their rocker nuts. There is apparently not that many memorable moments. No equivalent to burning weed fields or going berserk in an opium factory. Some have also said that at the end of the day, you're either using a bow, spear, or club. There just isn't much true variety.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Blind Rasputin posted:

Some have also said that at the end of the day, you're either using a bow, spear, or club. There just isn't much true variety.

Yea, this is the part that none of the trailers could hide. This is a series where the gameplay is already right on the edge being stale, and they took it to a time period where logically there has to be fewer combat options than before. The animal interactions seem to be something they expect to offset that, but how many times can you watch a "tiger mauls a dude" animation before it gets old.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, the Far Cry bow is great, but basing a whole game around it and taking away all the guns and explosives seems like a step too far. Maybe if they'd added a proper melee system but as it is this looks like a weird mix of unique setting and standard Ubi mechanics.

I just want a successor to the original Far Cry. Me versus soldiers versus Doom-style monsters.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but is there no flying mechanic? The wing suit was loving legit in FC4.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but is there no flying mechanic? The wing suit was loving legit in FC4.

You can ride a pterosaur

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

You can actually befriend an owl that you can control and have it drop bags full of angry bees on your opponents. That's actually not a joke.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You can ride a pterosaur

GOTY

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
$60 PLEASE!

New low for ubisoft, they are playing limbo over there. How low can they go!

Orv
May 4, 2011
The yearly migration of the giant doily is a majestic affair, ending in a sad leap off a low cliff. /attenborough

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tenzarin posted:

$60 PLEASE!

I for one am pleased to see a new title bring life to the Nintendo 64

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tenzarin posted:

$60 PLEASE!

I can hear the "ploop ploop ploop" of every glob of water.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

That can't be real. Which platform is that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Blind Rasputin posted:

That can't be real. Which platform is that.

Not PC as that's apparently hosed until next month.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

One of the reviews I read did say the fire and water were the worst they'd seen. This is like a lost in the woods simulator those two things have to be done perfectly.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm awaiting for someone to prove that wrong. Farcry 4 was a pretty big let down but atleast I got that for free. Ubisoft has been slippin.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Is nobody playing this? I was hoping to hear goon opinion which is usually the best opinion.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Why is the melee combat so lovely when that is the whole point of the game? Preorder legitimately canceled, this looks terrible!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is nobody playing this? I was hoping to hear goon opinion which is usually the best opinion.

You could say it's a far cry from being a good game.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
I'm playing it currently. It's got all the typical far cry elements to it. Forts/outpost liberation, collectibles, crafting, animal hunting etc. There's the way too long and boring standard hallucination mission as well. The caveman aspect is a different style of first person gaming so it's interesting in that regard. The setting is pretty cool as well. The hunting part also has an added feature of taming animals to be your pet making it possible to send your white wolf to rip throats out Jon Snow style. You actually build up your own settlement in this one as well. If you like far cry games you'll like this. Not sure if the caveman angle is enough to pull in people who dont. It's designed to be played a little more stealthy than the other games in the series.

Added note: I'm currently on a second hallucination mission where I'm playing as a wooly mammoth fighting tons of rhinos and it's annoying as gently caress. Whoever designed this level is an rear end in a top hat.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The whole hallucination gimmick is just way overdone period.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I've lost count of how many cavemen I've set on fire already.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I've Loved all the FarCry games for different reasons but I feel like flipping a coin for this one.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
I like it, being a caveman is rad, but setting is huge for me and I love more historical (or pre-historical, I guess) type games so I was on board from day one. I haven't noticed any graphics problems with fire or water on the PS4.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Cartoon Man posted:

You could say it's a far cry from being a good game.

We have a winner. Close down the thread.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mordja posted:

E: Honestly, I kinda think Far Cry needs to go forward in time, not backward. Make the player faster, give them more, smoother movement options. My dream FC game would be set on some weird, alien planet. Jetpacks, son! Fucken spacemonsters! More insane, African, ex-warlords but this time he's driving a moonbuggy! Remember the cancelled Prey 2? Rip that poo poo off.

With Prey 2 nowhere to be found it would be amazing to have an open world future bounty hunter/whatever type game. Namco was making a near future open world game that was going to have Hitman level options for how to do stuff called Frame City Killer for the 360 but it was canned because they couldn't get it to work on UE3 or something, either way it ended up not being worth the $$$ to make. But if they dumped $$$ into a game with the Far Cry name on it and it was a crazy futuristic game with tons of aliens and stuff it'd be huge.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Is the stuff with the deluxe edition code worth redeeming, or is it one of those cases where everything in it is outclassed two hours in?

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

Sorry, I'm NOT Funny! :airquote:
My "serious" Channel

iastudent posted:

Is the stuff with the deluxe edition code worth redeeming, or is it one of those cases where everything in it is outclassed two hours in?

drat! I completely forgot about the deluxe edition content. I'm like 10 hours in now. It must be useless.

As for the game itself, it's more Far Cry but I'm liking it because of the clubs and spears. I always felt that the shooting / gunplay in Far Cry 3 and 4 felt a little weak as compared to other modern shooters. So getting the chance to impale cavemen cannibals with spears is really refreshing and satisfying.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013

iastudent posted:

It's an extra mission, a club which is decent so far, some skill path shortcuts I've yet to unlock and a couple of skins. Might as well redeem it if you have it. Not sure it's worth buying if you don't.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
My owl friend got to spy on two enemies loving in a hut...I let them finish before my sabretooth pal and I murdered them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

why u lie

captured from my lowly, lowly xbox one.

• Locked thread