Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

alcharagia posted:

Dio caused a lady to eat her own baby.

That's hosed up.

Hey, he was very clear about the whole deal, she was just bad at interpreting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If we're going by the baby logic:
Jonathan's dog attacked Dio.

He was acting in self-defence since second one of their relationship!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Moltrey posted:

Speaking of the Part 5 new translation, they're up to Baby Face and this line is still super funny

When no one was looking, Giorno Giovanna
stole one hundred cars. He stole 100 cars.
That's as many as ten tens.
And that's terrible.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Dio thought an appropriate response to Jonathan kicking the poo poo out of him for physically and emotionally abusing his girlfriend was to set his loving dog on fire.

DIO did nothing wrong.

Dio Brando did some things wrong.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 23, 2016

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moltrey posted:

Dio thought an appropriate response to Jonathan kicking the poo poo out of him for emotionally abusing his girlfriend was to set his loving dog on fire.

DIO did nothing wrong.

Dio Brando did some things wrong.

The pile of corpses in DIO's mansion says otherwise

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

multijoe posted:

Hol Horse goes out of his way to point out those people all gave their blood willingly.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

multijoe posted:

Hol Horse mentions that all of those women gave their blood willingly due to DIO's CHARISMA. Like that rose scene with Kakyoin but less fingers in the neck

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think my fav part of part 1 is how unambiguously evil dio really is. Even as a human he's a piece of poo poo and as a vampire he's a super powered piece of poo poo. The whole time you are like "this loving guy gently caress"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DamnGlitch posted:

I think my fav part of part 1 is how unambiguously evil dio really is. Even as a human he's a piece of poo poo and as a vampire he's a super powered piece of poo poo. The whole time you are like "this loving guy gently caress"

Dio starts the series as the most evil rear end in a top hat ever and he just keeps on going. He was more of a rotten gently caress at age 12 (or whatever age he was when Phantom Blood starts) than most anime villains. Dio is great.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Moltrey posted:

Is there any easy way to download the good Part 5 translations past Volume 2? I swear they were up to The Sick rear end Train Fight and I had them downloaded at some point, but now seems like they've been obliterated from the internet, unless I'm just super stupid. I know Batoto has them, but I have no idea if you can download from Batoto super easily.

I don't think this is a :files: question, but again I could be real dumb so I'm sorry.

Everything before somewhere around the second half of Grateful Dead was typeset and edited back before I decided to get more involved in the process, and they're really quite bad in various ways, so we were fixing them up before the downloadable release, at my insistence. We were on track to be finished by now, but The Curse of Vento Aureo struck, and our editor's computer got cooked in a power surge or something. As far as I know, the hard drive hasn't been ruined just yet, but it's still up in the air right now. Anyway, sorry, but I'll try to remember to post the links here when it's finally done.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Daxing Dan posted:

Everything before somewhere around the second half of Grateful Dead was typeset and edited back before I decided to get more involved in the process, and they're really quite bad in various ways, so we were fixing them up before the downloadable release, at my insistence. We were on track to be finished by now, but The Curse of Vento Aureo struck, and our editor's computer got cooked in a power surge or something. As far as I know, the hard drive hasn't been ruined just yet, but it's still up in the air right now. Anyway, sorry, but I'll try to remember to post the links here when it's finally done.
Gotcha! Thanks for the update and all the work. And no worries, hope everything works out for y'all!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moltrey posted:

Hol Horse mentions that all of those women gave their blood willingly due to DIO's CHARISMA. Like that rose scene with Kakyoin but less fingers in the neck

I'm pretty sure murder is still bad even if you emit an aura of mind control, or in Kakyoin's case implanting them with a brain devouring parasite

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Murdering Kakyoin is never bad.

e: it absolves him of all past and future ills even

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 23, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

multijoe posted:

I'm pretty sure murder is still bad even if you emit an aura of mind control, or in Kakyoin's case implanting them with a brain devouring parasite
I dunno man, if I can get people wanting me to devour their blood by posing shirtless in a field of roses, who's really at fault here? Me for posing or them for being taken in by my charisma and sick bod?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Moltrey posted:

I dunno man, if I can get people wanting me to devour their blood by posing shirtless in a field of roses, who's really at fault here? Me for posing or them for being taken in by my charisma and sick bod*?

* sick bod may be stolen from mortal enemy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If he wanted it so badly he wouldn't have lost it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If Dio's so cool then why is he dead

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

For HEAVEN

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Baal posted:

If Dio's so cool then why is he dead
Cause he's a dumb idiot that somehow hosed up dropping a goddamn road roller on a seventeen year old despite having stopped time itself.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

That wasn't even his final downfall. It was kicking with his bad leg that did him in in the end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He basically wins the road roller exchange anyway. Jotaro gets out because he stops time and by that point it's like, well yeah there's no counter to that. He and his Stand overpower Jotaro and SP with the roadroller though. It's probably one of two times he doesn't totally gently caress everything up against Jotaro.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If he won the Road Roller exchange then why was Jotaro on top of the Road Roller? If Dio won he would be dead

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm just saying if he had succeeded in dropping the road roller, things would be a lot different :colbert:

Also the first instance when DIO realizes Jotaro can move just a tic in the frozen time, he leaps back and then decides on his Shitload Of Knives plan to take Jotaro out long range to avoid any, and at the time impossible, possibility of getting his poo poo kicked. Had he not done that and just ended the fight there, Jotaro would never have gotten acclimated to stopping time and moving within it.

DIO wasn't really on his A Game in that fight, not like versus Jonathan where he instantly went for shooting him right in the throat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean if I was able to stop time and someone was able to move even a little while time was stopped I'd be pretty freaked out. He definitely put on a better showing there than in his fight Jonathan where Jonathan had him beat at multiple points and the only reason Dio kept going was because his vampire powers let him live through 40 different things that would kill every other vampire.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DIO is such a bitch that even with his vastly superior Stand powers and vampire ultra-regeneration he still comes at Jotaro with three metres of steel between them (and lost)

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 23, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, Dio definitely made the more thoughtful choice with the limited information he had, but come on dude just ice your mortal enemy's great great grandson already.

What I'm trying to say is I'd be much better at being time stopping immortal vampire and at taking out high schoolers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
But what happens when Jotaro pulls out a gun and shoots him?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And that gun is

MR. BIG

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
MR. BIG is pleased.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal posted:

If he won the Road Roller exchange then why was Jotaro on top of the Road Roller? If Dio won he would be dead

Because he stops time and that's like "welp, I win see ya DIO".
It's an intangible in that not even Jotaro knows he can do it and has to try or die at that point and DIO wouldn't be able to account for it either. It took DIO a lot longer to learn to be able stop and move in frozen time than Jotaro adjusted, so if he's going by his own reckoning, the Road Roller is checkmate. He has Jotaro beat until Jotaro wins on his saving throw.

The whole point with DIO's fighting ability is that he's not poo poo at it, but he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. He thinks he's the hottest poo poo going but he really isn't. This is rooted way back in the intro of Phantom Blood where Jonathan whoops his rear end as a kid and he can't believe such an inferior turd in his eyes can even touch him.

He's also bound by the trappings of being a villain in a shonen so he's never going to win anyway. He'd have destroyed all of them in the mansion with the coffin otherwise and Kakyoin would have been super dead and not able to clue in anyone to his actual power with the wounds he took.

Basically: DIO's World is very good storytelling and very faithful to DIO as a whole which is great and awesome.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well yeah but Dio still lost so he didn't win

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal posted:

Well yeah but Dio still lost so he didn't win

Nah he's okay, he's sat on my shelf right now.
He's cute too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's ugly

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Engorged with Joestar blood Dio is ugly. That green lipstick can only help so much.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Phantom Blood Dio is handsome, but the Stardust Crusaders artstyle really doesn't do him any favours. It's a nice touch that when he regains his full strength and goes into full WRYYYYYY mode he ends up looking like a gross monster though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

multijoe posted:

Phantom Blood Dio is handsome, but the Stardust Crusaders artstyle really doesn't do him any favours. It's a nice touch that when he regains his full strength and goes into full WRYYYYYY mode he ends up looking like a gross monster though.

You crazy?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay, that does look alot better. In general the character designs in the SC anime really didn't do alot for me, everyone looks really harsh and angular.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Are you telling me the series with an artist who has several art exhibits and is in the Louvre has good looking art?

I don't believe it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You wouldn't know though reading Part 1 tho, good lord. Even Part 6 looks pretty lovely at points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sometimes when Araki's in the middle of an art style change, it gets a bit rough. His art in Phantom Blood isn't ever amazing, but it does get a lot better very quickly. It's impressive even how quickly it goes from dog poo poo to alright.

Part 3's art gets better quite quickly too.