Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Tacoma smells bad and is full of criminals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Tacoma smells bad and is full of criminals black people

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ditocoaf posted:

A lot of tech guys are "center left" in the sense that they don't really think about politics and generally feel like they're liberal because they were in favor of gay marriage and legalizing weed, but if it comes up they feel that culture is too pc these days and businesses are too stifled by regulation and wish they didn't have to acknowledge poors and people with money should basically be free to do what they want, man. So, libertarians who live in a city commonly thought of as liberal and thus call themselves that word.

That's not everyone who's a "tech guy", but I bet if you took a poll about whether we should switch to a progressive income tax, sampling everyone in the city who would describe themselves as a programmer or programming student, the nays would have it.
https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/463132110006784000

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If somebody says "Tacoma smells bad" they are either old or listen to old people.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

LingcodKilla posted:

I just back from looking at houses in Port Orchard. Explored the area a lot.

I'll be back in April to shop in earnest.

What did you do, dude? Explosion levels house in Port Orchard; homeowners unaccounted for

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

computer parts posted:

Hope none of those are engineering schools.

My university's median number of years for graduation is ~4.6 for engineers.

WWU has engineering technology degrees that usually take more than 4 years. They also have a BS in supply chain management that is a 5 year program. I can't imagine any of the four schools will be happy about being forced to graduate students in 3 years.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

SedanChair posted:

If somebody says "Tacoma smells bad" they are either old or listen to old people.

I beg to differ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroma_of_Tacoma

"The city of Tacoma is known for its putrid smell, dubbed the "Aroma of Tacoma""

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It smells bad, the earlier in the morning the worse it is. But its not nearly as bad as it used to be and you can't smell it in downtown Tacoma anymore really either, mainly on the freeway if you're passing by heading north.

IF you don't smell it at all you're probably used to it.

Another place that smells bad is Port Townsend, still smells like Tacoma at its worst on some days. A place I used to want to move to from just visiting, went there for work one day and was like, "what I had no idea they had mills here, it smells like rear end".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ah there you go. Triple wide.
RIP methlab workers

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Back in like 2010 there was a gas explosion in my hood that leveled a house and damaged a whole block of houses up in north seattle. Was right after the major PGE explosion in california. lovely cracked gas pipes.

My house was about 10 blocks away and it scared the hell out of me. Shook the whole thing.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Pinball chat;

The international district has a pinball museum (bad-rear end arcade) between king and weller on maynard. All you can play after admission.

http://www.seattlepinballmuseum.com/games.html

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

seiferguy posted:

WWU has engineering technology degrees that usually take more than 4 years. They also have a BS in supply chain management that is a 5 year program. I can't imagine any of the four schools will be happy about being forced to graduate students in 3 years.

Are any of those ABET accredited, and are there any three year engineering programs that have ABET accreditation? That's really important in engineering circles. Not to mention a bunch of regional accreditations require a significant amount of humanities even for the science majors.

And christ, good luck making a department offer every requirement every quarter/semester.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Pinball chat;

The international district has a pinball museum (bad-rear end arcade) between king and weller on maynard. All you can play after admission.

That reminds me too, if you're into old computers check out Paul Allen's living computer history museum. It's south of seattle a little bit and worth a trip. You can play with old commodore 64's, apple computers, IBM PC's, etc. There's a neat datacenter room with old mainframe computers like you saw in films from the 60's and 70's. Everything is fully operational and there are terminals to just start messing around with machines. It's really cool.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

Are any of those ABET accredited, and are there any three year engineering programs that have ABET accreditation? That's really important in engineering circles. Not to mention a bunch of regional accreditations require a significant amount of humanities even for the science majors.

And christ, good luck making a department offer every requirement every quarter/semester.

As a WWU engineering victim graduate, I have some input on this. Most of the degrees are ABET certified, but unfortunately most of the degrees are not full engineering but engineering technology.

christ this is depressing:

quote:

As part of the change to the Engineering and Design Department, the following programs are in moratorium, and are no longer accepting new students:
Electronics Engineering Technology (EET)
Manufacturing Engineering Technology (MET)
Manufacturing Engineering Technology – CAD/CAM Option
Plastics Engineering Technology (PET)

Even my lovely Industrial Technology - vehicle design (non-abet) degree required 110+ credits. Plastics was 130 or 140+ when I was there, with almost no humanities overlap.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Meydey posted:

I beg to differ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroma_of_Tacoma

"The city of Tacoma is known for its putrid smell, dubbed the "Aroma of Tacoma""

Reason posted:

It smells bad, the earlier in the morning the worse it is. But its not nearly as bad as it used to be and you can't smell it in downtown Tacoma anymore really either, mainly on the freeway if you're passing by heading north.

IF you don't smell it at all you're probably used to it.

Another place that smells bad is Port Townsend, still smells like Tacoma at its worst on some days. A place I used to want to move to from just visiting, went there for work one day and was like, "what I had no idea they had mills here, it smells like rear end".

You'll all now presume to quote wikipedia at me about Tacoma, I see. Tacoma used to smell legendarily bad, but with the way it smells today it wouldn't have ever gotten its reputation.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Pinball chat;

Only been there once but it was on Veterans day a few years ago. The owner asked if I was a vet and I said yep, so he gave me free admission. Had a good time so I dropped a twenty into his donation jar, and when I walked out, he gave me 2 pinballs as souvenirs. Now I have 2 more balls than before. Then I went to the Tsue Chong fortune cookie factory a couple blocks away and bought a 5lb bag of seconds. It was a good day.

SedanChair posted:

You'll all now presume to quote wikipedia at me about Tacoma, I see. Tacoma used to smell legendarily bad, but with the way it smells today it wouldn't have ever gotten its reputation.

I live in Kent (formerly "The Lettuce Capitol of the World"). I have to make fun of Tacoma for something.

Meydey fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 23, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If you want a bad smell, go to:

-the neighborhood outside the Ostrom plant in Olympia, where everything smells like a hot pork rind forever

-Tillamook, where everything smells like cheese

They are not bad smells per se, but they never go away.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If you want to make fun of a city's air quality, Portland's only recently identified a source of air toxicity as being caused by glass smelters in residential areas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg-fNScJXoo

SedanChair posted:

Goddamn, dude, I'm really sorry if that's what cheese smells like to you.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

If you want to make fun of a city's air quality, Portland's only recently identified a source of air toxicity as being caused by glass smelters in residential areas

Goddamn, dude, I'm really sorry if that's what cheese smells like to you.

But but but small businesses and local arts!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm sure daddy's money can afford warehouse space out by the airport instead.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

anthonypants posted:

I can't wait for the Portlandia send-up of this one!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

There are literally people crying about how heavy-handed government regulations are going to kill small businesses and the arts, but one of these places is like two blocks away from a high school.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

anthonypants posted:

There are literally people crying about how heavy-handed government regulations are going to kill small businesses and the arts, but one of these places is like two blocks away from a high school.

The worst one is right by a daycare center.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Al! posted:

The worst one is right by a daycare center.
I've heard people say that the areas around these places were rezoned from industrial to residential due to our lack of housing, but that is absolutely not the case.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean, you want bad smells, anytime I go to Seattle for anything I have to tolerate the stench of urine.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
http://katu.com/news/local/girl-scout-sells-cookies-outside-portland-pot-shop-its-not-against-the-rules

Quintessentially PNW.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Man I bet she is making bank.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

I mean, you want bad smells, anytime I go to Seattle for anything I have to tolerate the stench of urine.

Seattle smells so much like pee that I'm surprised the streets don't run yellow when it rains.

Its still better than Tacoma. Or Methland(Everett).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
They do articles about this every year, and here's one from California: http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-girl-scout-sells-cookies-pot-clinic-20140221-story.html

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I was walking to the market a couple years ago and saw a man in the middle of the sidewalk and in broad daylight stop, whip it out, and hose down the immediate area in front of him, pointing his tool from side to side as people made way and walked around him. That's my Seattle pee story.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

No Pants posted:

I was walking to the market a couple years ago and saw a man in the middle of the sidewalk and in broad daylight stop, whip it out, and hose down the immediate area in front of him, pointing his tool from side to side as people made way and walked around him. That's my Seattle pee story.

He must not have been Native American, since the police did not shoot him to death.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

SedanChair posted:

If you want a bad smell, go to:

-the neighborhood outside the Ostrom plant in Olympia, where everything smells like a hot pork rind forever

They are not bad smells per se, but they never go away.

Tillamook smells more like cow manure, in my experience.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

No Pants posted:

A drunk, probably developmentally disabled, adult man peed on the woman in front of us at a Seahawks game. She got a bunch of poo poo out of the deal and that guy can't come to Centurylink Field anymore.

That's my Seattle pee story. Everyone should have one.

glowing-fish posted:

Tillamook smells more like cow manure, in my experience.

Doodoo and strawberry ice cream. A potent combination.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't have a pee story, but the stretch of I-5 between everett and marysville often stinks.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I have a Seattle poop story. My office in the international district was on ground level and there was a lady who would paint our windows with violently sprayed diarrhea at least once a week. I saw this happen. Through the window. I prefer the pee.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Schwack posted:

That's my Seattle pee story. Everyone should have one.

Does being one of the few people to use the public robo-urinals count? Basically, it was a large cylinder that you walk into to piss and would close for privacy but then open no matter what to discourage people just hanging out in there, much to my friend's surprise. Our homeless brothers and sisters were much too resourceful to be stopped by that, and they shut them down. :cryingsasquatchinfrontofthedougflag:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My Seattle pee story is one time I twisted my ankle downtown and had to take the elevator into the transit tunnel, but I didn't notice the enormous, rippling puddle of pee in the corner of the elevator until after the doors had shut. Good times!

BlueBlazer posted:

The pinball mechanic at Dorky's is a gift from the gods. Better than any arcade in Seattle, imo. The owner is a piece of poo poo and deserves a punch in the face, http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article30667254.html

seiferguy posted:

Fremont has Add-A-Ball, which is a decent, albeit small retro pinball / arcade bar. I took a date there once and we thoroughly enjoyed it. It can get packed pretty quickly though.

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Pinball chat;

These are all great (except the racist Dorky's dude) but I gotta throw my hat in for Flip Flip Ding Ding in Georgetown, it's pretty awesome.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The flipside to the racist Dorky's guy story is that his wife/girlfriend/coowner is a POC and was obviously pissed off and tore him a new one. He posted a pretty sincere apology (not one of those 'sorry you were OFFENDED' apologies that are so popular these days) and offered Dorky's as a potential safe space/meeting space free of charge for Stand Up Tacoma (Tacoma's local grassroots BLM type coalition). This went basically unreported because :shrug:

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I've peed outside in Seattle on multiple occasions because I needed to go and didn't want to hold it. Mostly recently was like 2 weeks ago behind the dumpster at Filson. If you don't pee outside on the regular you're missing out. Cool breeze against your junk. Feels good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

A Bag of Milk posted:

I've peed outside in Seattle on multiple occasions because I needed to go and didn't want to hold it. Mostly recently was like 2 weeks ago behind the dumpster at Filson. If you don't pee outside on the regular you're missing out. Cool breeze against your junk. Feels good man.

Seriously, be careful about that. If you're caught by a police officer you can be slapped with a public indecency or even sex offender charges. The kind of stuff you have to go door to door and tell all your neighbors about and will torpedo any job opportunity with a background check ever. Not worth it for a quick wizz.

• Locked thread