Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I don't think it's fixed, but I'll check Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Nomads are seriously the most boring loving starts to play now. It seems everything is waiting on your manpower/population numbers to tick up so you can conquer some lovely province and start the cycle of waiting again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Confirmation that the Pope will join coalition wars against attempts to depose an Anti-Pope:

He didn't just sign up, either - he had troops in the field. Oddly, though, I got a Call In Allies button a year or so into the war and it was the Pope that I could call. One quick call later and he'd swapped to my side.

Also you'll notice that the Teutonic Order were active members of the coalition as well. In fact three of the five Catholic religious orders took the field against me even though I was a non-heretic Catholic waging war on what I believe was a Fraticelli Pope.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 21, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is pretty hosed up, but it should not be that hard to fix.

By the way, I' pretty sure that an anti-pope needs to be Catholic.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So has there been a mod to increase the game speed back to what it used to be like? Since Concave dropped it's just become incredibly slow and honestly a bit of a slog to put up with since so it takes forever for anything to happen to begin with.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Testekill posted:

So has there been a mod to increase the game speed back to what it used to be like? Since Concave dropped it's just become incredibly slow and honestly a bit of a slog to put up with since so it takes forever for anything to happen to begin with.

Get a better PC, hope that helps.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My computer is also too old. Paradox, please release CK2 and Stellaris for the Sony PlayStation 4 so I don't have to buy a new Mac.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I want ck2 on a mobile platform. I'd be happy to just play a small game on the British isles, so long as I could buy it in the App Store :/.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I could have sworn I saw the 2.5.2 patch announcement when starting the game up just now. It's gone now, but Ironman savegames are apparently going to break.

In a semi-related comment, I have been playing a very successful Romuva game for the past week, after not having played the game since early Old Gods or thereabouts. The game seems to have became a bit easier (~200 years in, I've reformed Romuva, founded a feudal Lithuania-Poiand 750 years early, etc). Some thoughts - Way of Life event chains seem to be quite repetitive, everyone has Lover's Pox and Conclave council issues seem to be negated by nearly every courtier being gay and having +25/-5 bonus/malus with their respective lieges.

edit: I guess it was the 2.5 patch announcement, rather than 2.5.2.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Marenghi posted:

Think I figured out how I broke my republic game. Looks like the leader of the revolt against Sweden was a rival merchant republic. I guess the game wasn't able to handle a Duke republic being made a temporary vassal of a King republic.

Any suggestion for my next game as I feel I've seen all republics have to offer. I've played out the Viking starts, the Atlantic Archipelago, Byzantine Empire, Italian Counts, and others.

Be norse at the start. Conquer Rome. Convert it to Norse culture. Convert to Catholocism. swear fealty to the Pope and spend the rest of the game as his loyal dynasty of attack dogs creating a kingdom of God on earth.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
I enjoy seeing how quickly I can expand to ridiculous size. I think my best run has been to start as Charlemage, and after all the events which let me expand greatly (aided once by a Danish invasion of Saxony meaning I took Denmark in that war too), then rather than forming the HRE, swearing fealty to the Byzantine Emperor and factioning to be the Basileius.

After a couple of holy wars and an anti-pope, you can reform Rome in one lifetime.
If I had noticed that I was big enough that I didn't have to care about coalitions, then I would have reformed Rome in one generation, instead I had an implausibly old Charlemagne (103!)'s heir do it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I just found a pretty good way to game infamy once you're at mega-empire level. I took Andalusia as spoils from a crusade - you can do it with practically any crusade target, but Andalusia is the biggest. I then pressed a vassal's claim for Lombardy, took the whole drat country bar eight counties, then gave Andalusia to my son and heir and granted him independence. Immediate drop from 100% to 26%, and as soon as I die I'll get Andalusia straight back into the empire. My ruler is in his mid-70s and incredibly rich, so I can hopefully get Papal opinion up to 100 then switch to a focus that doesn't grant health, eat the tyranny hit for revoking Lombardy, form the HRE and die before any factions cause trouble.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'm enjoying playing a republic with all the Conclave changes. Playing as Venice and it's gone well since I realised that you should post a decent chancellor to Constantinople on a pretty much fulltime basis.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Testekill posted:

Its been sluggish since they added in India, I'm surprised you're only just starting to feel it. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if needlessly shoving the square peg of EU4 diplomacy mechanics into the round hole of CK2 isn't causing some major issues for the AI increasing the demand for processing power. I saw the terrible poo poo coming in this DLC/patch and stuck to 2.45, so I can't really speak from personal experience.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

but this is kinda worst in every aspect IMHO, except that now you dont get super heirs easily.
This has not been my experience *at all*.
Symmachos II Isauros - Strong
Michael I Isauros - Strong and quick
Georgios Isauros - Quick
Nikephoros Isauros - Genius
Matthaios Isauros - Nothing of note in the hereditary department, however his children are (in order of succession), Quick, Strong, Strong, Genius.

In 700+ hours of CK2 this has probably been my most successful lineup of rulers ever.

Though I do have one question, Matthaios is actually the grandson of Nikephoros. His actual son Eirenaios was my heir, until one day he wasn't any longer. Why did my heir become his firstborn, rather than someone in his generational cohort, or even one of my brothers? He didn't pick up any immediately obvious traits to disinherit him (eunuch, celibate or w/e), I just got a popup saying his son would be my heir now.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Was Eirenaos not Purple-born?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Was Eirenaos not Purple-born?
He was, his son wasn't, since he popped out while he was still an unlanded nerd in my own court.

E: wow, another first. The Abbasids have fractured into approximately 10 remaining microstates. What's left of them controls oman, yemen, sistan, syria and tigris. :catstare:

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 22, 2016

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Hambilderberglar posted:

E: wow, another first. The Abbasids have fractured into approximately 10 remaining microstates. What's left of them controls oman, yemen, sistan, syria and tigris. :catstare:

Deffo sounds like what I'm hoping for. In my Viking playthrough things go much as usual...except for a Persian/Arab superstate, that has conquered right up to Mongolian lands. Can't wait to see that sucker break up, then have the Mongol event fire off.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

CrazyLoon posted:

Deffo sounds like what I'm hoping for. In my Viking playthrough things go much as usual...except for a Persian/Arab superstate, that has conquered right up to Mongolian lands. Can't wait to see that sucker break up, then have the Mongol event fire off.

Barely pictured at the edge: the Umayyad successor state controlling Britanny, Giant Ethiopia which is completely my fault. I got a huge infusion of Solomonids into my court after the Abbasids and the starting southern Arabian statelet carved Ethiopia up between them. Abbasids walked away with most of Nubia (and integrated it into Egypt while they held it) and most of Abbysinia ended up being the others. Conquered Alexandria while it was in an abortive revolt (it would later succeed and be the first major split in the Abbasid empire, with them controlling all of Egypt, Nubia and some border gore inside Mesopotamia/Syria/Jerusalem.) Then snaked my way to Aksum, granted it to a Solomonid and started dropping his relatives on the throne in the area, making them strong enough to Holy War some of the chumps that were there. Once they were big enough, release for -85% infamy and I got myself a helpful ally out of the deal. But back to what's visible. Of the states you see here, Hamadan, Tamimi and Kufayhid split first. The duchy of Azerbaijan was once independent but a particularly ambitious Strategos someone or other of Armenia mopped them up in two wars. That chunk of Roman Alania is likewise the work of an ambitious strategos, both were the first wave of Abbasid rebels to split. The Hashimids controlling Nefoud were also independent once, but they got taken out by Kufahyid and Hashimid troops.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CrazyLoon posted:

I've been seeing the Abbasid blob breaking up a lot more since Horse Lords, but Umayyad Hispania seems to be really resilient. In my last game they got pushed out of Europe in about 1200-ish although I genuinely do not know what caused it - they had an iron grip on Spain for most of the game then all of a sudden I take a look over there and it's gone all Catholic, without even a crusade or anything.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have a weirdo request. I'm playing on a Macbook Pro (yes, I do love pain, thanks for asking), and I cannot get the army move mechanic to work. Does anybody on a Mac know the magic keystroke combination? So far, I've spent all my time breeding heirs in Ireland, which is fun but gets you no empire.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

This is getting ridiculous.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Solemn Sloth posted:

"You know, it's really your fault for not divorcing and/or beheading your wife for failing to bear you any sons. You should get on that" --Henry VIII

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

He was, his son wasn't, since he popped out while he was still an unlanded nerd in my own court.

Sounds like they lost to a decadence revolt.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I fail to see the problem, you seem to have three dynasty members of descending ages. Should be fine for perpetuity.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Solemn Sloth posted:

God is punishing you for your whoring ways!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Conclave is bad and keeps finding new ways to break my games :(

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

When you get the pop up for a bastard daughter, I think you're not supposed to acknowledge them as yours. I think the more children you have, the more your fertility drops or something like that, and denounced children who don't pop up under your list of children in your character page don't "count." Either way this is some poo poo luck.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

I think the more children you have, the more your fertility drops or something like that.
Nope, that doesn't happen. Courtiers are limited to 2 kids after 30(?) total court members, but even that doesn't apply to merchant republics.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Not much news in this DD, but I included the (not final) 2.5.2 patch notes:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/23rd-feb-dd-no-news-is-good-news.910088/

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

quote:

-Added character modifier Rejecting Seduction Attempts
- Characters with Rejecting Seduction Attempts can not be targeted by the seduce decision
- Added options to seduction targets to ask seducers to go away

Won't this introduce the issue some people brought up where players will now never be able to seduce anybody, for the same reason players are never able to borrow money from the Templars?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Got my first big adventurer invasion. Jesus loving christ they are obnoxious to deal with between shattered retreats and not having any land to occupy.

code:
Won battle vs hosts give twice the warscore
oh thank gently caress.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lurksion posted:

Nope, that doesn't happen. Courtiers are limited to 2 kids after 30(?) total court members, but even that doesn't apply to merchant republics.

They're both true IIRC--everyone's fertility drops including your own, and courtiers get a hard cap of 2 kids when your court size goes over 30. The limit can be changed in defines.lua but it exists for a very good reason and if you remove it or jack it to 40 or something your mid-lategame performance will crater as the game gets buried in useless courtiers.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
What's a good way to build up a lot of prestige in a small amount of time? I'm playing as Eire with the Charlemagne start, about two hundred years in. United Eire fairly quickly, and thanks to a few well-timed holy wars, I'd taken over all of Wales and Cornwall, as well as a few counties in England and Pictland. Somewhere along the way, I got a message saying that a group had decided to press my claim for the rest of Pictland, which I hadn't even known I had. They apparently won, so I now had that as well. Sweet! Except my guy died soon after, and because of Gavelkind succession, the new country went to his second son, still a child. Got it back no problem, but was assassinated soon after. As were my next three rulers, with the realm nearly always getting divided once again.

The guy I have now is decent and well-liked, and things seem to have calmed down. I really would like to form an empire so I don't have to worry about having to grab Pictland again every time a new guy takes over (it's always pretty easy, but it's time-consuming, risky, and makes people hate me). My current ruler is relatively young, sitting at a prestige level of around 2000. If all goes well, I should be able to do it in his lifetime, but I need anything I can to get there.

I've kept things tribal so far, which may not be the smartest idea, but I like having the AI deal with the vassal armies instead of me, and being able to raise a tribal army is useful in a pinch (albeit at the cost of prestige). Would converting to feudalism help speed things along, or would it make it worse? I just want things to stabilize so I can get back to wrecking poo poo.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DStecks posted:

Won't this introduce the issue some people brought up where players will now never be able to seduce anybody, for the same reason players are never able to borrow money from the Templars?

Yeah, speaking about it, I always noticed it but forgot to ask: why the hell is this option always disabled? Not only fom templars, but for the muslin orders too, I never once saw this decision available

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

DStecks posted:

It's possible, but then again it's a pain having to tell people no all the time. Maybe the "Everyone gently caress right off" option could be player only or have some more sever logic if it's a problem during the beta.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

What's a good way to build up a lot of prestige in a small amount of time? I'm playing as Eire with the Charlemagne start, about two hundred years in. United Eire fairly quickly, and thanks to a few well-timed holy wars, I'd taken over all of Wales and Cornwall, as well as a few counties in England and Pictland. Somewhere along the way, I got a message saying that a group had decided to press my claim for the rest of Pictland, which I hadn't even known I had. They apparently won, so I now had that as well. Sweet! Except my guy died soon after, and because of Gavelkind succession, the new country went to his second son, still a child. Got it back no problem, but was assassinated soon after. As were my next three rulers, with the realm nearly always getting divided once again.

The guy I have now is decent and well-liked, and things seem to have calmed down. I really would like to form an empire so I don't have to worry about having to grab Pictland again every time a new guy takes over (it's always pretty easy, but it's time-consuming, risky, and makes people hate me). My current ruler is relatively young, sitting at a prestige level of around 2000. If all goes well, I should be able to do it in his lifetime, but I need anything I can to get there.

I've kept things tribal so far, which may not be the smartest idea, but I like having the AI deal with the vassal armies instead of me, and being able to raise a tribal army is useful in a pinch (albeit at the cost of prestige). Would converting to feudalism help speed things along, or would it make it worse? I just want things to stabilize so I can get back to wrecking poo poo.

You could disband both king-level titles and form a custom Kingdom. That would raise the issue of losing control of any duchies you don't personally hold, but you can get around that by revoking all the duchies before forming the kingdom then finding a way to die quickly. Huge tyranny hits and big rebellions to fight, but it's good to have a hobby in your old age.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, speaking about it, I always noticed it but forgot to ask: why the hell is this option always disabled? Not only fom templars, but for the muslin orders too, I never once saw this decision available

Because the Templars never have enough money to lend out; on account of whenever they do, an AI immediately snaps it up before the player could possibly know it was an option. Which will be the problem with seduction now: players will never be able to do it because as soon as a woman's "gently caress off seducers" timer expires, an AI will immediately pounce on her and trip it again.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Jedit posted:

You could disband both king-level titles and form a custom Kingdom. That would raise the issue of losing control of any duchies you don't personally hold, but you can get around that by revoking all the duchies before forming the kingdom then finding a way to die quickly. Huge tyranny hits and big rebellions to fight, but it's good to have a hobby in your old age.

I don't think you can destroy titles under gavelkind anymore and even if you did, your kids will get kingdoms even if they have to be created if you can have multiple kingdoms carved out of what you own.

The only way out is going up to empire.

How to get prestige quickly:

If you are able to raid, do so.
If you are Catholic, go on a pilgrimage.
If you are Germanic, blot and runestone.
Marry any and all sons or daughters to high ranked nobles.
Win a war or 5.
Do whatever your focus allows. Typically there are events or options associated with them that gain you prestige. Seduction is one of the few that doesn't.

Edit: And tribal sucks. Get away from it ASAP. Sure, you get more troop levies but gavelkind fucks you over too much and you can do much better controlling those troops than the AI can.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Jedit posted:

Sadly I can't break things up under Gavelkind, and it'll be ages before I can get enough laws passed to switch to something else. I'd been planning to not actually form any countries (except for the original Eire) until I had enough prestige to almost immediately form an empire, but this unexpected acquisition of Pictland has kinda screwed that up. De jure drift is also starting to gently caress me over, and France and Germany have apparently taken over big chunks of England in the time I've spent slapping down rebellions and getting assassinated. I really hope I haven't run into a wall with this, this has been a pretty fun run so far.

• Locked thread