Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Pauper chat: I'm gravitating towards Soul Sisters because that deck gets into my reptilian brain and I want to play it in every format, forever. There's a G/W list going around, but it seems to trade a bunch of tempo for a chance at a quick combo win. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
The colored pips should be colorless diamonds

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Where's the pen-ink-smudge on the Deckmaster logo? :spergin:

Get our of here with your cheap-rear end counterfeit cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Is that one of the new Chinese counterfeits? It's not very convincing tbh.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

For flavour reasons, instead of any bannings, they should just print some Planeswalkers and allies that force Eldrazi out of Modern.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

odiv posted:

For flavour reasons, instead of any bannings, they should just print some Planeswalkers and allies that force Eldrazi out of Modern.

Well, they already printed Fall of the Titans, so if you ask me, they've done their part. Not their fault if the lazy players don't want to take the canonical approach to dealing with the Eldrazi.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Foreskin Problems posted:

The colored pips should be colorless diamonds

You can play your Eldrazi with whatever supporting cast you want, which I guess is technically better than having literally the same deck dominate the format.

EDIT: I am really excited for SOI to come out so I can put Fiery Temper + Tormenting Voices into my Prowess deck. Divination Bolt seems like a pretty good card, though filling the graveyard will be less valuable in and of itself without Treasure Cruise.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 23, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

You can play your Eldrazi with whatever supporting cast you want, which I guess is technically better than having literally the same deck dominate the format.

Can you imagine if (when?) the pros discover the definitive Eldrazi deck? Picture 50% of a tournament being the exact same deck instead of just the same archetype.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Voyager I posted:

EDIT: I am really excited for SOI to come out so I can put Fiery Temper + Tormenting Voices into my Prowess deck. Divination Bolt seems like a pretty good card, though filling the graveyard will be less valuable in and of itself without Treasure Cruise.

Is Prowess still a deck after Monastery Swiftspear rotates?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Maybe? The only really relevant losses are Swiftspear and Treasure Cruise. Both of those are significant parts of the deck, but with Prowess being an evergreen keyword it's possible that a suitable replacement gets printed. With Swiftspear in Khans, Abbot in Origins, and Stormchaser in Oath, it looks like we're good for about one really pushed Prowess creature per block and there will probably be some other way of giving the deck stamina or using the graveyard.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BJPaskoff posted:

Can you imagine if (when?) the pros discover the definitive Eldrazi deck? Picture 50% of a tournament being the exact same deck instead of just the same archetype.

There wasn't a definitive deck before and there isn't one now. Modern is a diverse format in which all cards printed in Standard-legal sets from 8th Edition on are legal, and in which all decks are required to run 4 Eye of Ugin and 4 Eldrazi Temple. Restrictions breed creativity!

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

alansmithee posted:

From my understanding Legacy has 4 threats-delver, angels, merit lages, and being hit with about 15 tendrils. That's not amazingly diverse.

I don't know where you got your understanding from but it certainly wasn't from playing Legacy.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rogue0071 posted:

I don't know where you got your understanding from but it certainly wasn't from playing Legacy.

Or watching/reading about/talking to people about legacy

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rogue0071 posted:

For real. It usually only takes 9 or 10 Tendrils. Not 15.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

I mean you listed the 3 reasons why using a paper legality list is really stupid so glad we agree?

High tide made at least half of the top 8 and was only legal because they forgot that it wasn't printed at common on mtgo, they fixed it the next time.

The CK paper+online ban list made for a super fun tournament when I played, even if cloud of faeries was legal. Pauper is a good format.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 23, 2016

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
So I just jumped back on the MTG horse and have noticed that the new duel decks coming out this Friday, Blessed vs. Cursed, look pretty cool. I am very rusty and I am also dragging my girlfriend into this to teach her how to play, and since these are kind of meant to be an entry point, I thought it would be cool to get them. My only concern is that most of the cards are from the old Innistrad line. Are they revamped versions for the upcoming Shadows Over Innistrad or are these decks, while containing a few card from the upcoming new set, technically not Standard decks?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Bellicose Buddha posted:

So I just jumped back on the MTG horse and have noticed that the new duel decks coming out this FRiday, Blessed vs. Cursed, look pretty cool. I am very rusty and I am also dragging my girlfriend into this to each her how to play, and since these are kind of meant to be an entry point, I thought it would be cool to get them. My only concern is that most of the cards are from the old Innistrad line. Are they revamped versions for the upcoming Shadows Over Innistrad or are these decks, while containing a few card from the upcoming new set, technically not Standard decks?

They aren't standard legal. Duel decks never are, but they're a convenient tool to learn the game a bit, and I think this one comes with a Geist of Saint Traft, which is a very good card previously worth about $15.

To be clear, some of the cards are standard legal and some will be when Shadows over Innistrad comes out, but a lot of the deck won't be.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Would the Eldrazi decks be as oppressive if there were a Stony Silence-style silver bullet against them? Or would it put too much strain on the sideboards?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
They're generally too fast for you to rely on finding a card out of your sideboard that's only relevant against them, especially since that kind of design means you need to go 2-0 in the post-sideboard games.

See: Affinity being a T1 deck despite a bunch of silver bullets existing and being in everyone's sideboard.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Would the Eldrazi decks be as oppressive if there were a Stony Silence-style silver bullet against them? Or would it put too much strain on the sideboards?

Blood Moon is the silver bullet but it comes like 3 turns too late if you're on the draw.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The only silver bullet I can imagine, out of currently printed cards, that could combat eldrazi is Wasteland, as it is the only nonbasic land hate printed that is strong enough and fast enough to have an appreciable effect on the game against them. Tech edge is too slow, Ghost quarter too anemic, Spreading Seas is both too slow and anemic, Seas Claim is too weak and Blood moon is far too slow. Molten/Stone rain is too slow. Smallpox is too conditional.

Tabernacle at Pendrell Veil would also work, buuut, that card should never see the light of day in anything but legacy/vintage/EDH.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
So I should wait a bit before selling my caverns right? I only bought them for a poo poo human aristocrats deck and they seem to be a pretty good card in all of the coloured eldrazi builds.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

gonadic io posted:

So I should wait a bit before selling my caverns right? I only bought them for a poo poo human aristocrats deck and they seem to be a pretty good card in all of the coloured eldrazi builds.

Caverns have been pretty high for a while now. It is possible they get a reprint in EMA.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Angry Grimace posted:

If you're gonna play casually, just don't play any real format and just make it so you can't play more than 4 of anything. If some rear end in a top hat shows up with 4 of a BS card you can informally ban that card amongst yourselves.

I would think EDH sounds about right though. It *can* be expensive, but I'd guess the majority of EDH deck lists boil down to "pile of cards owned by person playing deck."

literally my omnath deck. there's a couple things in there i've specifically sought out as improvements but most of it is just "hey that sounds cool" *shoves another jank card in to try it out*

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was dumb but never this level of dumb.

This is a level beyond dumb.

i guess you could call it

super dumb level two

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Lancelot posted:

It's behind a stupid paywall because for some reason Magic commentary is the kind of thing people pay for

I wonder why they haven't abandoned the paywall but they give so much free premium away so it's more like some sort of weird club now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Caverns have been pretty high for a while now. It is possible they get a reprint in EMA.

Or even Shadows/Moon block. Could be interesting with Allies and whatever tribal stuff the new block carries.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Painter's Servant shuts off eye of Ugin completely and turns Eldrazi Temple into a Wastes, and it comes down on turn 2. But that's a hilariously specific answer that doesn't do anything against any other deck, and it dies to all the removal that any of the Eldrazi decks run.

Anyway, isn't the need for hyper-specific sideboard hosers one of the main things people have been complaining about in Modern for ages now? There are so many decks that attack on different angles where if you have one hyper-specific answer like Stony Silence you can destroy them, but if you don't draw it you're in trouble, and you don't have enough room in your sideboard to pack those kind of answers against all the decks people could be playing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
May FNM Promo. YAWN

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sigma-X posted:

Or watching/reading about/talking to people about legacy

You're right, when people were just bitching about legacy a few pages ago, they didn't include delver as one of the decks that's actually played.

Also I know the last 2-3 legacy tourneys I watched were basically all show & tell, miracles, storm, and delver variants. Looking at mtgtop8 elves is also a big player, but that's still not what I'd consider extremely diverse, or even more diverse than modern (the non-eldrazi version of modern)

suicidesteve posted:

For real. It usually only takes 9 or 10 Tendrils. Not 15.

True but typically it seems like they have more triggers on the stack that are ready i thought.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I'm not sure that's really a good answer. even if you do have something anti-eldrazi like that you get in an affinity situation where you're basically mulliganing for your insta-win (or near win) sideboard card and screwed without it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mcmagic posted:

May FNM Promo. YAWN

That art is loving awful.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

May FNM Promo. YAWN

I wonder if this means it'll be in Eternal Masters. A draftable Goblins deck would make sense.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

GonSmithe posted:

That art is loving awful.

I kinda think it's cool, but I do enjoy goblins!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Entropic posted:

I wonder if this means it'll be in Eternal Masters. A draftable Goblins deck would make sense.

Watch it be just like Path and Visions which were totally gonna be in Modern Masters 2 we swear.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

Watch it be just like Path and Visions which were totally gonna be in Modern Masters 2 we swear.

Warchief is only like $2.50, so it's not really in need of a reprint, which means it will probably actually get one.

Speaking of Goblins, did Piledriver ever actually make any impact in Modern? I had completely forgotten that it's even still in Standard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

Warchief is only like $2.50, so it's not really in need of a reprint, which means it will probably actually get one.

Speaking of Goblins, did Piledriver ever actually make any impact in Modern? I had completely forgotten that it's even still in Standard.

Zero impact in modern and a small impact in Legacy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

Zero impact in modern and a small impact in Legacy.

It was already Legacy Legal before Origins.

Goblins shows up in Legacy every now and then doesn't it? I thought it won some tournament a year or so ago.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Should be a Tarkir Goblin warchief. Tarkir has the best goblins.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ugin's Bauble {0}
Artifact (U)
Colorless spells cost {1} more to cast.
{1}, Sacrifice Ugin's Bauble: Return target colourless creature to its owner's hand.

There, modern fixed. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

• Locked thread