Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mine were fine in the summer, but in the winter I guess the plastic would shrink they'd flop all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Stupid wheel and tire newbie reporting in. My NC (w/ typical Koni+Progress suspension combo; drops about 1" from stock height) needs a new set of summer tires. I'm thinking of going from stock 17x7 to 17x8 while I'm at it. I've been looking at the Enkei PF01s (50mm offset.). I primarily use this thing as an expensive weekend toy for cruising and canyon runs. No DD, probably won't ever autocross it.

Would it be better to go with 215 or 225 for 8"? I talked to the Good Win guys (they're a couple of miles from where I live) and they said 215 for more driving feel, 225 for more comfort. It seems that 215 would require a little stretch to fit, whereas 225s sit more flush. Most of Mnet seems to run 215s or 235/40, but then again, it's Mnet, so I'm not sure how trustworthy they can be as a reference source... 235/40 seems a bit much for non-race purposes. For the purposes of my car, are the differences between 215 and 225 so negligible that it would just boil down to tire options and prices?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My 225's are flush on 7.5 so on 8 they'll be a little in the stretched direction but it'll probably vary by manufacturer,

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
215s or 225s will be just fine on a 8" wheel. Get whatever has better tire selection, or will screw with your speed the least.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
17" tires are a different game; people put 255s on a 9" wheel every day of the week with no issue. On the NA/NB chassis, people put a 205 on an 8" wheel and a 225 on a 9".

I'm picking up 215/45R17s (up from 205/45) for my ND because it's $100/set cheaper and it's marginally wider on a 7" wheel.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

I'm picking up 215/45R17s (up from 205/45) for my ND because it's $100/set cheaper and it's marginally wider on a 7" wheel.
Hmmm, I hadn't considered sizing up to 215s on the 7" wheels. Any particular reason you're sticking with 7" instead of going for a wider wheel?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
CS autocross.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FatCow posted:

215s or 225s will be just fine on a 8" wheel. Get whatever has better tire selection, or will screw with your speed the least.
Guess I'll be going with 215s for 8". Since the tires'll be slightly stretched-ish, I assume I would want something with stiffer sidewalls? And how worried would I need to be about damaging the wheels from bad road crap?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5458669571.html

5-speed and no ABS though. Hmmmm....

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 6-speed is mated to a 3.909; it doesn't excel (more like accel) at anything in particular. The lack of ABS is fine.

That's a clean looking car, you should pick it up.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
drat that's cheap for the miles/condition/year... buy buy buy

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Since we're posting possible buys... thoughts on this?
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5446852733.html

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Check for rust. I don't think they get that much snow out in Elyria but it's still your major concern. Ask about the short nose crank as well.

It's almost time to do the timing belt and water pump as well.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

willroc7 posted:

Since we're posting possible buys... thoughts on this?
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5446852733.html

I see this all the time in Craigslists posts, but do people actually trade cars? I've literally never heard of anyone doing it in real life.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

mariooncrack posted:

Check for rust. I don't think they get that much snow out in Elyria but it's still your major concern. Ask about the short nose crank as well.

It's almost time to do the timing belt and water pump as well.

Seller claims no rust. It is a SNC but he says no wobble. Water pump/timing belt supposedly done at 130k but no records. What would you offer?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

willroc7 posted:

Seller claims no rust. It is a SNC but he says no wobble. Water pump/timing belt supposedly done at 130k but no records. What would you offer?

I wouldn't offer anything until you look at the car yourself. Sellers lie all of the time. Consider anything they say with a grain of salt.

It looks like it's been driven in the winter, otherwise why would you put tires on it in the middle of February? If you're selling a car that needs tires, why not let the next owner take care of that? It's been a mild winter though so if this was the only winter it was driven in it might not be so bad.

I would also take a look at the top and make sure it's in good shape.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
If it doesn't have records, just assume it didn't happen. Fears about SNC are a little overblown, but is enough that I would hesitate to buy one unless the chasis was truly rust free. Maybe 2k? Again, check the whole bottom of the car for rust. Ask if it has AC, power steering, radio, etc

I have seen an increase in NA Miata prices on Facebook groups lately; every seller seems to think they are rare now and worth a lot more then they probably are.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012

Progress is slow but we are getting there!

Transferred the wiring harness yesterday, pulled out the engine / trans today, and putting it in the black shell tomorrow!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Victim of another parking tragedy... this time I wasn't there

Guy left a note, I'm in a rental car, but I thought I might you guys like to know the price (steadily increasing), we're at $2,600 right now and have not looked at the rear end yet. When I drove it home, it did not sound good (grinding sounds and such) Might have just been wheel well debris. I didn't see any though.

So that's two collisions in 18 months vs no collisions during the other part of my life (miata less)

hmmmm

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
This is a fun little series.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaeETZPdShsN8XtwhDKS-iVJZ38lKFKI9

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That series of videos is better than anything that comes on tv for car shows. That dude was super meticulous too. I need to rewatch that.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
So, are we not taking about the turbo Fiats that are getting revealed in Geneva?

http://jalopnik.com/the-abarth-124-spider-is-the-turbo-fiat-miata-you-alway-1762122320

Miata + Italian styling is a hell yes for me.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The R-GT trim is a 300hp rally styled Fiata? Holy poo poo. Wonder how much it'll cost.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i'm lovin it

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Contemplating selling my Turbo '92 Greddy miata - located in Wenatchee WA - 110k miles on it. It's a 10 footer car at best, but the car runs great and is well cared for. Had the turbo on the car for ~15k miles so it's all shaken down. I'm thinking asking $3500 would be good, sell the hardtop separately. Cars tend to be kinda expensive in the PNW, thoughts?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Those were excellent. Anybody know of anyone else on youtube I can follow with videos like these? Its such a nice change of pace.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

n8r posted:

Contemplating selling my Turbo '92 Greddy miata - located in Wenatchee WA - 110k miles on it. It's a 10 footer car at best, but the car runs great and is well cared for. Had the turbo on the car for ~15k miles so it's all shaken down. I'm thinking asking $3500 would be good, sell the hardtop separately. Cars tend to be kinda expensive in the PNW, thoughts?

If the hardtop is red I'll buy it; I'm in Portland.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I installed a couple of convenience things on my NC today. TapTurn flasher relay. It replaces the factory flasher relay with something that can a) have euro style lane change turn signals where if you tap the stalk enough to not lock it into a direction it blinks 3 times and b) can handle LED lights without needing load resistors if I ever want to replace my bulbs with LEDs (I probably won't). The lane change thing is great because my Fiesta has it and my wife's Jetta has it so it has become habit to use it and I always attempt to use it in the miata and then remember it's not there and get annoyed.

I also installed a proclip phone mount which is much better than the vent mount I was using on one of those floppy round vents in the dash.

Overall they are both cool and I recommend.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Argh. I've got coolant leaking from somewhere. There's a bunch pooled up on that platform thing below there headlight on the passenger side. Current suspect is the overflow hose where it goes under the radiator support. There's coolant sprayed near the hood latch (which I found out that hard way. Ow) but the radiator cap looks brand new and seals tightly. Are leaks from between the plastic top part of the radiator and the metal part below it common? There's quite a bit of fluid in that insulation but it may just have dripped there from somewhere else.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

have euro style lane change turn signals where if you tap the stalk enough to not lock it into a direction it blinks 3 times
The lane change thing is great because my Fiesta has it and my wife's Jetta has it so it has become habit to use it and I always attempt to use it in the miata and then remember it's not there and get annoyed.

Oh, how I mildly hate those sort-of-auto-flasher things... I can see how it might be a good idea for some people, but unless all the cars I regularly drive would have it, I just find it to be a huge annoyance whenever I encounter one. And even if all were to have it, I still prefer the "manual" flasher.
:colbert:

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
Welp I picked up another basket case Miata for $600

http://imgur.com/a/M21sf

Clean title, straight shell (besides trunk lid) 1990 with a 1.8 engine swap, 1.8 brakes, upgraded sway bars, new clutch, aftermarket headers, super short shifter, and a extremely loud exhaust

Definitely going to sell those wheels and bits I don't want/need. Not sure if I want to put all my good parts on to this gray car or continue with the shell swap

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

Great Beer posted:

Argh. I've got coolant leaking from somewhere. There's a bunch pooled up on that platform thing below there headlight on the passenger side. Current suspect is the overflow hose where it goes under the radiator support. There's coolant sprayed near the hood latch (which I found out that hard way. Ow) but the radiator cap looks brand new and seals tightly. Are leaks from between the plastic top part of the radiator and the metal part below it common? There's quite a bit of fluid in that insulation but it may just have dripped there from somewhere else.

Is the plastic on your radiator yellow or brown? Probably time to replace it and all the hoses.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Brown. Is that bad?

E: all the replacements I see are black so I'm guessing that's bad. Any recommendations for a replacement or are they mostly identical?

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 7, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They're mostly identical.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Internet forum hivemind says to get the one for an automatic miata because it has an extra row, or more fluid capacity, or something. Thats what i did. (a lot of metal radiators people get seem to suck so i went with the safe option)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

blk posted:

If the hardtop is red I'll buy it; I'm in Portland.

It's black - would look OK on a red car.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I think I was given the wrong part. My old radiator is on the right, new on the left. New has a pair of little connectors sticking out the bottom loosely covered by plastic caps. Old one doesn't have them at all. Can I leave them alone or run a hose between them or something so I can still use the radiator? Or will I need to exchange it? They're otherwise identical

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Almost certainly for an automatic transmission - it cools the transmission fluid using the engine coolant instead of having a baby radiator for just the transmission fluid.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

poo poo, that makes sense. Can I leave them alone or will I need to plug them with something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd cap them off.