Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aphrodite posted:

They're friendly fight club bets too.

These aren't enemy gang members or Templars, they're just guys trying to win some money.

You'd think after watching the first few guys get their arm broken in three places, and a knee, they'd stop climbing into the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite is how she won't just break an arm, she'll break the elbow, then twist it around some more to break the shoulder too. Lady, there's disabling an assailant and then there's that. :stare:

Seriously though, it's nice to see brutally gruesome finishers again. I forgot that they'd been absent since about the time of "Eye-stabber" Ezio. Seriously Ezio, having two Hidden Blades does not mean your go-to should be jamming them into a man's eyes!

Evie hates everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_161qJ5XHM

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

The E3 presentation for Destiny was clearly trying to sell it as an experience where you could just wander around, run into other players, and do events.

That's not what you said though, you were comparing the dark zone thing in Division to Destiny with that "True free-form online shooting" thing weren't you? Isn't the dark zone thing PvPvE or something (I didn't play the beta)? Did Destiny advertise itself as that?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 23, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What they said was that you could randomly encounter other players who were on different missions. Which is true- except that this only happens in the public spaces between mission targets, where there's little to do except shoot trash and emote at each other and the occasional public event. And forming a lasting team with someone you met organically like this involved jumping through awkward hoops.

Destiny left it unclear what you actually do in the world for a startlingly long time, but there was never an explicit promise of open-world PVP.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

That's not what you said though, you were comparing the dark zone thing in Division to Destiny with that "True free-form online shooting" thing weren't you? Isn't the dark zone thing PvPvE or something (I didn't play the beta)? Did Destiny advertise itself as that?

"free-form" doesn't have to mean PvP, it could just mean PvE where you're allowed to dynamically run into people who aren't your friends and party up with them. It could also mean PvP though.

Destiny kinda implied we could do all kinds of amazing things like both of those. I don't remember PvP being specifically mentioned but it was something I was hopeful for after the initial announcement. But even without PvP Destiny still promised a poo poo ton they didn't deliver on.

And outside of the DZ you still have that "free-form online shooting" in The Division that Destiny lacks. Even outside the DZ with no PvP, you can still run into complete strangers, join their parties seamlessly, talk to people using proximity chat, join in on co-op shootouts, etc.

haveblue posted:

What they said was that you could randomly encounter other players who were on different missions. Which is true- except that this only happens in the public spaces between mission targets, where there's little to do except shoot trash and emote at each other and the occasional public event. And forming a lasting team with someone you met organically like this involved jumping through awkward hoops.

Destiny left it unclear what you actually do in the world for a startlingly long time, but there was never an explicit promise of open-world PVP.

Yeah exactly. But they definitely implied there'd be more online interaction than the final game had.

That E3 trailer has like 30 guys shooting at a tank in the Cosmodrome and the game engine simply doesn't even support that. Its never happened to anybody in live Destiny.

At most you can run into like 12 people, but there's no reason to kill the tank and the other public events are even more boring than the tank. Destiny completely abandoned focus on public events in favor of just doing Halo-style missions over and over and over and over.

You spend 99% of Destiny only seeing 3 other players, outside of the City zones. Every once in a blue moon some public event will go off and there will actually be people around who participate, and its pretty fun, but its EXTREMELY rare and the game gives you pretty much zero incentive to do so. The Court of Oryx like I said is the closest the game comes, but its literally just one little area. Plus that was only added in TTK, a year after release. And everybody got bored of it within like a week or two because there's not enough to do there.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Athenry posted:

I think you're forgetting about the highly anticipated WatchunderscoreDogs 2.

Watch Dogs had potential.
Parking cars on steam pipes or messing with traffic red lights never got old.
Also the spider tank mini game was loving fun.

The only problem with Ubisoft is that save for rayman and rabbids they are loving predictably realistic and serious, only throwing a joke or two.
Watch Dogs 2 should be a game with just spider tank missions and a stupid story about bouncing around the city, destroying it while trying to save it from cyborgs or something.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Neptunia V-II items this week are joke items and another CPU set. $14.99 as always for the weapons, $.99 for the CPU chip.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dehry posted:

The Neptunia V-II items this week are joke items and another CPU set. $14.99 as always for the weapons, $.99 for the CPU chip.

Going into my DLC list and seeing "Purchased" on everything is upsetting me a lot, and I need to stop. I'm part of the problem. :(

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

I buy them because I like open world games and I'm not really sick of them. :shrug:

It's fine that you still get mileage from them but I think the majority are tired of that formulae and want a new spin on things on the same way call of duty gave us a progressive FPS or tomb Raider gave us an exciting and fresh version of an old classic.

Open world games have felt a bit stagnant to me since GTA 5, Assassins Creed felt like it was going to go for a more interesting setting with Syndicate but it's still over saturation.

It's hard though, there needs to be a balance between cheaper, smaller scale titles like The Witness and the open world format that allows for a wealth of content no matter the games setting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but they have little incentive to change when the minority is still like 7-8 million people.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thank you for allowing me to have my opinion.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Just in case anyone is living in sin: there's no reason to play asscreed if you have not played shadow of mordor yet. That game is asscreed with all the bad stuff removed and some fun stuff added.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And its own set of bad stuff thrown in, but it's probably like $10 now so they're not a big deal.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The only bad thing about SOM is that the grimdark protagonist with a murdered family isn't needed at all and the game would clearly be better as an orc politics sim but devs are pussies and life sucks.

Edit: I suppose there are still niggling asscreed annoyances but they went a loooooong way towards removing them and just making a fun running and killing stuff game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone want some SMITE in their life?

DOn't PM me. I get flooded. First quote of this post gets it. (Post your email or just say PM if you have PM)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Feenix posted:

Anyone want some SMITE in their life?

DOn't PM me. I get flooded. First quote of this post gets it. (Post your email or just say PM if you have PM)

Pm

Is it a beta?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The only bad thing about SOM is that the grimdark protagonist with a murdered family isn't needed at all and the game would clearly be better as an orc politics sim but devs are pussies and life sucks.

Edit: I suppose there are still niggling asscreed annoyances but they went a loooooong way towards removing them and just making a fun running and killing stuff game.

It starts to lose its shine around the 2/3rds point when you can easily brainwash your own on-demand Orc army, but yeah it's Asscreed without the pretense that it's a Big Important Game which needs 40 hours of content and 15 different kinds of minigames to feel respected.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
10k Smite Closed Alpha keys going out

https://www.vg247.com/2016/02/23/free-10000-ps4-closed-alpha-keys-for-smite-us-only/

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Ramagamma posted:

It's hard though, there needs to be a balance between cheaper, smaller scale titles like The Witness and the open world format that allows for a wealth of content no matter the games setting.

Cheaper, smaller scale titles like The Witness took at least 7 years to make, and it certainly doesn't lack for content. I've easily put just as much if not more hours into it than the flavour of the season open-world game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Witness is for all intents and purposes an open-world game itself. It's even more open than most of the genre since there's no part of it you can't immediately walk into except the very end.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

acksplode posted:

It starts to lose its shine around the 2/3rds point when you can easily brainwash your own on-demand Orc army, but yeah it's Asscreed without the pretense that it's a Big Important Game which needs 40 hours of content and 15 different kinds of minigames to feel respected.

You can play it like an assassin's creed game by luring people into bushes or pulling them off cliffs... or you can play it as the Jason Vorhees simulator and run into a random camp stabbing an orc in the head 6 times causing the entire group to freak out and you calmly march up to your next target and perform the next act of overkill until nobody remains.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If you even remotely liked PvZ: GW, PvZ:GW2 is a FULLY fleshed out game. It's awesome. Feels better, plays better, more fun, more funny. And the overworld alone feels like an homage to highly-developed 3d worlds in a videogame era gone by.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

haveblue posted:

The Witness is for all intents and purposes an open-world game itself. It's even more open than most of the genre since there's no part of it you can't immediately walk into except the very end.

Well, there's one area you can't immediately walk to :)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

limaCAT posted:

Watch Dogs had potential.
Parking cars on steam pipes or messing with traffic red lights never got old.
Also the spider tank mini game was loving fun.

The only problem with Ubisoft is that save for rayman and rabbids they are loving predictably realistic and serious, only throwing a joke or two.
Watch Dogs 2 should be a game with just spider tank missions and a stupid story about bouncing around the city, destroying it while trying to save it from cyborgs or something.

Anything that you built up in your imagination was better than it ended up being, whether you wanted it to be a silly cyberpunk romp or a serious take on government cybermonitoring. It cannot be emphasized enough what a lovely "hero" we got in that game.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Pm

Is it a beta?

It's in alpha. And I have exactly one extra key too. First PM gets it.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 23, 2016

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Feenix posted:

If you even remotely liked PvZ: GW, PvZ:GW2 is a FULLY fleshed out game. It's awesome. Feels better, plays better, more fun, more funny. And the overworld alone feels like an homage to highly-developed 3d worlds in a videogame era gone by.

Can you play 4 player split screen in the new one? ideally in the defend the flag mode, if it has that i will buy it immediately.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Grabbed one then found out it's a MOBA and I couldn't give a poo poo about it

Q6QE-4CNE-7GT3

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Thinking about restarting Gamefly again since there's some ps4 games coming out I want to play now but don't want to spend big bucks on or own permanently (Division, Uncharted 4). Can you still still have only one game in your queue and get it? Every time I've had a membership I put a game that was coming out as the only thing in my queue a few days before release date and I would get it pretty close to release date every time.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Fozzie Bear posted:

Can you play 4 player split screen in the new one? ideally in the defend the flag mode, if it has that i will buy it immediately.

2 player only, but you can do any of the modes split screen with bots.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lakbay posted:

Thinking about restarting Gamefly again since there's some ps4 games coming out I want to play now but don't want to spend big bucks on or own permanently (Division, Uncharted 4). Can you still still have only one game in your queue and get it? Every time I've had a membership I put a game that was coming out as the only thing in my queue a few days before release date and I would get it pretty close to release date every time.

I think it depends on your location, and luck of the draw. I did that with MGSV and it was at my mailbox the day after release. I did it with Bloodborne and I didn't have anything for three weeks

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

deadwing posted:

Grabbed one then found out it's a MOBA and I couldn't give a poo poo about it

Q6QE-4CNE-7GT3

Hahahahahaha

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Recently I've been having slow connection issues, like in the 1-100 kb range. This is unique to the PS4. Laptop is showing 60 mbps. Is this a common issue? Or should I be checking with my isp?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Clevermuldoon posted:

Recently I've been having slow connection issues, like in the 1-100 kb range. This is unique to the PS4. Laptop is showing 60 mbps. Is this a common issue? Or should I be checking with my isp?

Ps4 on wifi??

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Clevermuldoon posted:

This has always been the case for me with everything involving the playstation network regardless of modem, isp, or dns settings. Not as low as you are getting but still abnormally low compared to every other device in the household. Just a fact of life at this point.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Nah it's wired. It's campus internet so I don't have access to a router or modem.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Clevermuldoon posted:

It's campus internet so I don't have access to a router or modem.

I think I see the problem.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ryoga posted:

This has always been the case for me with everything involving the playstation network regardless of modem, isp, or dns settings. Not as low as you are getting but still abnormally low compared to every other device in the household. Just a fact of life at this point.

That's not good. Mine is wired but it gets at least 1MB/sec at any given time, usually better. It's no where near the max my connection can handle but I figure it's just PSN has limited bandwidth. I think someone at some point figured out that abnormally low speeds might be caused by whatever mirror you got paired with and there ways to reset it or proxy to a better one.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

That's what I figured, but I wanted to check here first to see if there was a quicker solution. Issues only started this semester.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

bloodychill posted:

That's not good. Mine is wired but it gets at least 1MB/sec at any given time, usually better. I think someone at some point figured out that this might be caused by whatever mirror you got paired with and there ways to reset it or proxy to a better one.

If you can link me on this it would be much appreciated. I'm willing to try anything that let's me use more than 10% of the speed I should be getting.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ryoga posted:

If you can link me on this it would be much appreciated. I'm willing to try anything that let's me use more than 10% of the speed I should be getting.

The only thing I could find was about using GoogleDNS so that you always get connected to a closer node in the CDN but if you've already tried it, it might not help. Here's the link anyway: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/308fcr/psa_ps4_network_options_for_better_speeds_google/

It also mentions changing MTU to 1473, which I remember doing way back when I first got my PS4 so that might also be worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I tried it and the SFV update started downloading at a normal speed. Thanks!

• Locked thread