Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lichtenstein posted:

Was We the People really more complex than Wilderness War? Similarly, I think it's a stretch to put DVG's Field Commander series so high. Leader series has probably more spergin' about it due to all mathing out of the weapons.

I also think COINs should get their own paragrapgh, rather than being simply lumped into multiplayer section. It's no less of a subgenre than CDGs now, and it'd be cool to have them described in a bit more detail, as this is the series that probably attracts most new traffic from the board game thread.

Maybe turn the joking Games for Crazy People section into a proper paragraph on monster games like La Bataile or OCS series. Just say "this is how deep the rabbit hole goes, its an acquired taste, if you have to ask about them you should still stay away from them. They're also all secretly solitaire".
I was wondering when people were actually gonna find it. But yeah, I need to overhaul the entire section so more suggestions, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

COOL CORN posted:

Man, for such a wonderful product, they're really racking up the errata. It's almost laughable at this point.

When they obtain MMP level incompetence of reprinting the rulebook for ASL, but not actually incorporating any of the existing errata into the reprinted rulebook, instead requiring customers to go to various websites, print off errata line by line, cut said errata out by hand with a loving scissors or X-acto knife, and rubber cement it into the rulebook, then come talk to me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SlyFrog posted:

When they obtain MMP level incompetence of reprinting the rulebook for ASL, but not actually incorporating any of the existing errata into the reprinted rulebook, instead requiring customers to go to various websites, print off errata line by line, cut said errata out by hand with a loving scissors or X-acto knife, and rubber cement it into the rulebook, then come talk to me.

The original Legacy mechanic.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Played FITL, medium scenario, managed a come from behind victory as the NVA. Basically I got hosed by linebacker after the second coup of three, got lucky that a few events gave me resources and built like 4 bases before a coup to push me over the edge.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Y'all should read the latest Mr. President update, it's pretty funny.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Marco reviewed Liberty or Death. He gave it his "highest rating". That's a prestigious honor, given that the requirements for such distinction are: 1) is a board game

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Link please? I P500'd this one and hope it ships soon.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I'm assuming the InsideGMT article

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Pretty neat. I'm kind of tempted, but I would probably have to cancel a COIN preorder (Gallic War? more sure I want Cuba Libre) if I do. The modern terror/jihad threats might get annoying after a game or two.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

Every article I have read about this game makes me think it will be every bad part about Labyrinth turned up to 11. Which is a shame because there's definitely something neat that could be done with the concept.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah it just seems random as gently caress. The funny bit is the designer doing a drone strike in Europe and then saying that friends in Europe telling him that Europeans might get more than slightly annoyed if that happens.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Finally, a game that makes FoF look simple and straightforward.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I imagine the story of that game i s GMT guys being unable to say no to their director's rambling.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Tekopo posted:

Yeah it just seems random as gently caress. The funny bit is the designer doing a drone strike in Europe and then saying that friends in Europe telling him that Europeans might get more than slightly annoyed if that happens.

Sounds like a terrorist sympathizer to ME

*launches predator drones at Buckingham Palace*

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I knew it was complex when I ordered it, but wow.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I wonder how many separate tracks you can get going simultaneously, since there seems to be enough board space for double digit numbers of congressional allies and enemies.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Are any of these Slitherine titles worth the sale price? http://store.steampowered.com/sale/slitherine_midweek

I need to push digital counters around.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Foehammer posted:

Are any of these Slitherine titles worth the sale price? http://store.steampowered.com/sale/slitherine_midweek

I need to push digital counters around.

Battle of the Bulge is literally a computerized board game, it's easy to learn and really well designed. Slitherine kinda ruined the ios version but it should be ok on pc.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Annnnnd Liberty or Death is sold out. drat, it's ridiculous that if you don't pre-order a wargame, you have like a 5% chance of actually buying it first hand.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Annnnnd Liberty or Death is sold out. drat, it's ridiculous that if you don't pre-order a wargame, you have like a 5% chance of actually buying it first hand.

I've got good news for you.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/220179

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

I already have a copy and love it dearly so far, I just thought it was funny.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I just read the latest GMT update and have to say that sometimes maybe game designers should dial back on the period theme.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Where's that from? Also, anyone interested in playing some Plan Orange tomorrow? Or maybe we can continue our TK game bm?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Where's that from? Also, anyone interested in playing some Plan Orange tomorrow? Or maybe we can continue our TK game bm?

It's a game called Medieval Conspiracy, designed by a German company called UGG. GMT is distributing it through the P500 system.

I'd link to the product page on the UGG website but I can't because it still uses frames!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Hey Tekopo,

Taliban confirmed.

[edit] Derp, I meant Government.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 24, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

blackmongoose posted:

Every article I have read about this game makes me think it will be every bad part about Labyrinth turned up to 11. Which is a shame because there's definitely something neat that could be done with the concept.

From what I've read it feels like a weirdly generic setup with a lot of fiddly mechanics. Obviously the designer wants a lot of replayability, hence the rolling for startup and lots of random stuff, but it really seems to be missing some key things you'd expect in a political sim. Every goal - fighting terror, containing rogue states, or domestic legislation - is generic presidential stuff. Like here are the possible public agendas for the country:

It's just so weird to talk about health care reform (for instance) without considering the political leanings of whoever's doing the reforming. If McCain had won in 2008 and then attempted to overhaul health care, the debate would have gone very differently.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Any thoughts on where I can get some nationality/custom dice? I've been looking at BattleDice, but $35 for 5 dice sounds a little... extreme.

http://asl-battleschool.blogspot.ca/2012/06/battledice-nationality-series.html

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's a good thing the Lent has begun, as I've got the itching to dust off Fields of Fire again. Not sure when to find time for necessary pre- and post-game chillout though!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

It's a good thing the Lent has begun, as I've got the itching to dust off Fields of Fire again. Not sure when to find time for necessary pre- and post-game chillout though!
Play Vietnam and get a huge blunt for the best experience.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

That is the general idea right now, but I'm erring on the side of drinking with no pants on and crying myself to sleep.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
:siren:DO NOT SMASH MIRRORS IN DRUNKEN HAZE:siren:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just ordered Silent Victory, should be good :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Just ordered Silent Victory, should be good :)

It is pretty good. If you like The Hunters, it's more of the same, with some of the mechanics tweaked for a better playing experience.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Speaking of subs, aka the only boats worth caring about, how did They Come Unseen turn out?

Also, are there any decent games on Cold War-to-present subs? I'd imagine they'd have to work on a fleet command kind of scale.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

By the way. I am going to play this when summer comes. I am honestly really excited. It's gonna be like HIS but even bigger!

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Tekopo posted:

By the way. I am going to play this when summer comes. I am honestly really excited. It's gonna be like HIS but even bigger!

Oh snap. Megagame Makers was one of the things SU&SD did that looked legimately awesome, and Virgin Queen era megagame sounds legit great.

In other news, taser_rates and I tried Napoleon's Triumph at MAGFest last weekend. While we didn't finish (it was at the tail end of a full day of gaming and I skipped enough meals to have to end early or just vomit all over the board), I got a much better handle of this play than the first time I failed to understand it.

First off, NT has the densest 10 pages of rules I have ever tried to read. I won't say the rules are badly written, but no rule is repeated and the game is unique enough that there is no good frame of reference from other titles (unless I guess you played Bonaparte at Marengo or maybe Guns of Gettysburg....). My biggest complaint about the rules themselves are that a summary of the differences between infantry, cavalry, and artillery would be INCREDIBLY USEFUL GOD DAMMIT. Instead their specialty rules are only brought up when they are relevant to a game segment (e.g. you'll only read about artillery's inability to lead corps attacks in the one step of attacking where you declare lead attacking pieces).

Once you can (almost) parse the rules, the game is incredible of course. I could see it being the best block wargame I have if I can get more mileage out of it. The agonizing guesses you have to make in this game with no random chance (just secret unit information) is brutal and captivating. While I initially thought the attack sequence was too in-depth, every part of it is needed to make Napoleon's Triumph work so well.

Oh, and moving corps is a pain in the rear end. loving road movement is a logistical kick in the nuts. In a good way, I guess....

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Tekopo posted:

There is a group that has run some of these out of NYC, but they spots fill up so fast I haven't had a chance to try it. Let us know how it is!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Sometimes I think I'm too far down the wargame-obscurity-rabbithole, but then Tekopo busts out some megagame poo poo from a company I've never heard of, and I feel better.

(And also jealous)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Trynant posted:

Oh, and moving corps is a pain in the rear end. loving road movement is a logistical kick in the nuts. In a good way, I guess....

As I say every single time I teach it. The roads do not go where you want them to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

C3i 29 is finally on amazon.ca, $40 CAD until March 7 or so.

A friend is picking up Churchill, look forward to trying that too.