Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Posted Patchnotes posted:

- Imbecile characters use childish insults
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Crow Jane posted:

Sadly I can't break things up under Gavelkind, and it'll be ages before I can get enough laws passed to switch to something else. I'd been planning to not actually form any countries (except for the original Eire) until I had enough prestige to almost immediately form an empire, but this unexpected acquisition of Pictland has kinda screwed that up. De jure drift is also starting to gently caress me over, and France and Germany have apparently taken over big chunks of England in the time I've spent slapping down rebellions and getting assassinated. I really hope I haven't run into a wall with this, this has been a pretty fun run so far.

If you have Pictland, Eire and most of Wales why don't you try to form Britannia? It only requires 800 or so prestige and it sounds like you have most of the territory already.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

You can't destroy titles under gavelkind can you? Might be easiest just to go feudal and switch to elective or seniority.

E: left the reply open way too long

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

What causes the Varangian Guard to start (very slowly) gaining men over and above its 3150 default? It's currently sitting at 3276 and the captain is not landed. I've seen this behaviour before but I never could figure out what causes it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

TheCIASentMe posted:

If you have Pictland, Eire and most of Wales why don't you try to form Britannia? It only requires 800 or so prestige and it sounds like you have most of the territory already.

Weirdly, I don't even have the option. It's Found a New Empire (at 8000 prestige) or nothing :smith:.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, everyone. First order of business once I get home will be dropping Tribalism, though I'll miss being able to go make dinner or something while my vassals do my work for me.

Unrelatedly, my ruler called someone trying to forge a claim a "narrow-minded clubfoot" last night, and for some reason that's making me laugh for far longer than it should

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 23, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Not much news in this DD, but I included the (not final) 2.5.2 patch notes:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/23rd-feb-dd-no-news-is-good-news.910088/

I didn't see it in the notes, but did you fix it so that certain traits prevent you from picking a focus? While it is funny seeing castrated dudes having kids because they chose the Seduction focus, it's also kind of frustrating because I cut their balls off for a reason. :black101:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hambilderberglar posted:

What causes the Varangian Guard to start (very slowly) gaining men over and above its 3150 default? It's currently sitting at 3276 and the captain is not landed. I've seen this behaviour before but I never could figure out what causes it.

I remember talking about this when it came to playing games as a mercenary band, and I think the only factor in size growth is time since the creation of the mercenary group. It was definitely not something interactive.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Crow Jane posted:

Weirdly, I don't even have the option. It's Found a New Empire (at 8000 prestige) or nothing :smith:.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, everyone. First order of business once I get home will be dropping Tribalism, though I'll miss being able to go make dinner or something while my vassals do my work for me.

Unrelatedly, my ruler called someone trying to forge a claim a "narrow-minded clubfoot" last night, and for some reason that's making me laugh for far longer than it should

You might need to be out of Tribal to form the Empire.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

yes and

- Added a number of new insults and compliments to the dynamic insult/compliment system for traits.
- Added special childish insults/compliments to many traits. Younger children will now use these instead of the adult ones.

that's cute, I'd love some examples :D

also this is interesting:

- Added new traits Brawny and Frail, which are similar to Strong and Weak but non-congenital.
- Added the traits Shrewd and Dull, which are similar to Quick and Slow but non-congenital.
- Events giving Quick or Genius now add Shrewd (except Devil spawn). It is possible to stack Shrewd with quick/genius ( :getin: eugenics)

and the usual CK2patchnotes.txt material:

- Event 64080 shall no longer cause men to impregnate themselves
- If you manage to seduce your spouse it will no longer be considered a scandalous act of incest (unless you are married under by certain religious ceremonies)
- Committing suicide now gives you a strong negative general opinion modifier.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Creating Britannia won't show up under the intrigue menu, those decisions are only for the "custom" kindgoms/empires.
If you can create it you will get a "title can be created" notification at the top of your screen. However, you need 80% of the land so you'd probably have to control a fair bit of England as well as Ireland and Scotland.
If you want to check how close you are, you can look up the title in the title finder (bottom right, beside the person finder) and it will show the requirements (and what % of the land you control).

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

TheBlackRoija posted:

If you want to check how close you are, you can look up the title in the title finder (bottom right, beside the person finder) and it will show the requirements (and what % of the land you control).

You can find your De Jure empire title easier by clicking a province, then clicking either the duchy or kingdom CoA in the lower left tab. Tick the "show de jure" tickbox in the title screen and the empire's CoA will show up slightly above the tickbox.

Also for all I care seduction focus might as well become useless if only it'll stop the rampant cheating. I don't know if loving other people's wives was as rampant in medieval times as it is in CK2 but going through five wives in a lifetime as the loving pope-emperor of Scandinavia was infuriating as gently caress. I had no clue if there was any Yngling blood left in my family line. "Oh poo poo he sacrificed every previous wife along with the cheating vassal to Odin, maybe being unfaithful isn't such a good idea" -said apparently no one ever

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The best patch note was something like "The AI will no longer declare war on you during the learning scenario" - seems like kind of an oversight that something like that made it this far along! Also, is the learning scenario worth doing for new players? I have a buddy that wants to get into the game but isnt particularly enthusiastic about watching youtube videos to learn the ins-and-outs.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The best patch note was something like "The AI will no longer declare war on you during the learning scenario" - seems like kind of an oversight that something like that made it this far along! Also, is the learning scenario worth doing for new players? I have a buddy that wants to get into the game but isnt particularly enthusiastic about watching youtube videos to learn the ins-and-outs.

I owned this game for a very long time without ever really playing it besides a couple of sessions of literally falling asleep trying to get through the tutorial. Then a friend of mine hosted a multiplayer game, invited me in, and talked me through the basics in about five minutes. I was able to learn more or less everything else on my own in short order once I understood enough to start playing.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Crow Jane posted:

Yeah, as others have said you're looking in the wrong place to try and create the empire of Britannia. Later on, when I can get home I'll take some screenshots to point out what to click.

In the meantime, :mil101: you'll probably still need to collect some more land from England since it takes owning 80% of the dejure counties.

:black101: So keep conquering! :black101:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I wasn't enthusiastic about it either until I started playing the game. Then I really wanted to get into it. I only watched an episode or two of Arumba's series, and that was enough to set me on my way.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

McGavin posted:

I didn't see it in the notes, but did you fix it so that certain traits prevent you from picking a focus? While it is funny seeing castrated dudes having kids because they chose the Seduction focus, it's also kind of frustrating because I cut their balls off for a reason. :black101:

Yup.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hambilderberglar posted:

Time. All of the default mercenary companies and holy orders have a base size value that is then multiplied by the game year (broadly speaking). So they will get larger as the game progresses, and will be larger at later start dates than at early ones.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DStecks posted:

Because the Templars never have enough money to lend out; on account of whenever they do, an AI immediately snaps it up before the player could possibly know it was an option. Which will be the problem with seduction now: players will never be able to do it because as soon as a woman's "gently caress off seducers" timer expires, an AI will immediately pounce on her and trip it again.

Yeah, I can't really imagine any way this won't be the case. Still, it's a ton better than every woman in the world being seduced over and over and over and over and over and over, which is what happens now.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, I can't really imagine any way this won't be the case. Still, it's a ton better than every woman in the world being seduced over and over and over and over and over and over, which is what happens now.

Make it so that the same moron cant try to seduce her again but others can

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Elias_Maluco posted:

Make it so that the same moron cant try to seduce her again but others can

That's definitely one way to do it, but it does have the problem of just how many Seducers there are in a game the size of CK2. If there are ten seducers in a court, it's likely that one of them will succeed with any given target. Failing against one person doesn't lock you out against others, so all ten can try with the next person and the next. The end result looks slightly better than how it was, but still not great.

Another way to handle things is to add a human-only buffer zone to account for people's imperfect timing and attention. For example, if someone resists a seduction attempt, then nobody can try to seduce them for 12 months, and no AI can try to seduce them for 14 months. The slight extra delay won't really make a difference to the AI or from a simulation standpoint, but it gives the human time to do stuff. Similarly for Templars. If, for example, Borrow Money takes 100 gold from them, make it so that the AI can only borrow once they have 120 gold, while humans can borrow at 100. I have no idea if this is possible/reasonable to program so it's really just an idea.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Separate player and AI "No means no!" flags is probably a good idea so that it's still possible for the player to fail to seduce a target but doesn't limit the availability of other targets.
I think most of the complaints about it are about the AI behaviour anyway even if it can be sort of overpowered for the player. If it ends up that you have a hard time finding desirable targets it'll just end up that nobody uses that focus because it doesn't really offer anything else.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, sorry if this has been covered already, but seeing as the trait-improvement ambitions are no longer available, what happened to the event chains that were previously in those? Have they (or some, at least) been integrated into the various focus options, or have they been dropped out?
Since I'm mainly thinking of the old flying machine/"cunning plan" (more cunning than a cunning fox's cunning teacher of cunning!) event chain that you could follow, after taking the 'improve learning' ambition - and I don't believe I've seen any hint of it in the scholarship focus (what with that being more about astronomy and the occult), so I'm not sure what's happened to it. No real reason as to why I've suddenly decided to ask about it really, other than it came up in a conversation I was having with a friend who also plays CK2.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Yeah, they've been moved to the various foci. Not sure if both foci in a given attribute can improve it, but for instance I know that scholarship has the old Learning improvement events. You still need <8 in that attribute to trigger them

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah, they've been moved to the various foci. Not sure if both foci in a given attribute can improve it, but for instance I know that scholarship has the old Learning improvement events. You still need <8 in that attribute to trigger them

Aah, well that will explain it, then - it's a rare occurrence for me to pick the scholarship bonus and still be at <8 learning after the temp stat increase for picking the focus. (unless it doesn't factor that bonus in, and I'm just unlucky?)
Thanks for the confirmation

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, sorry if this has been covered already, but seeing as the trait-improvement ambitions are no longer available, what happened to the event chains that were previously in those? Have they (or some, at least) been integrated into the various focus options, or have they been dropped out?
Since I'm mainly thinking of the old flying machine/"cunning plan" (more cunning than a cunning fox's cunning teacher of cunning!) event chain that you could follow, after taking the 'improve learning' ambition - and I don't believe I've seen any hint of it in the scholarship focus (what with that being more about astronomy and the occult), so I'm not sure what's happened to it. No real reason as to why I've suddenly decided to ask about it really, other than it came up in a conversation I was having with a friend who also plays CK2.

I definitely got the warhammer one, can't remember getting any others since the change.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It sounds like fixing seduction needs to be more about overhauling the system itself (or just making it a lot less likely for the AI to actually use it), rather than just bolting on a modifier. The whole thing reminds me of the old diplo-assassinations - as long as your intrigue was high enough and you weren't terribly concerned about relations, you could just spam them over and over until they worked, and the AI was clearly restricted from using them much or else kingdoms would have been ridiculous murderscapes.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I really wish there were laws for stuff like who can control which holdings (so you could make like psuedo-iqta as others, especially as pagans because its dumb that pagans cant have temples) and make it so vassals would be called like allies. Btw, still incredibly annoying that you have to raise all vassals, then dismiss the ones you dont want. I know why they did it, but surely I gotta be missing something?

Also just have the human ignore the no seduction flag. Problem preempted.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Man, I really wish there were laws for stuff like who can control which holdings (so you could make like psuedo-iqta as others, especially as pagans because its dumb that pagans cant have temples) and make it so vassals would be called like allies. Btw, still incredibly annoying that you have to raise all vassals, then dismiss the ones you dont want. I know why they did it, but surely I gotta be missing something?

Also just have the human ignore the no seduction flag. Problem preempted.

There's a button for raising local liege levies in the province screen.

It's really useful, since you can do things like giving the king of Jerusalem some random county on the middle if your empire, then teleporting all his troops over there if you need them (instead of having them appear wherever his capital is).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jabor posted:

It's really useful, since you can do things like giving the king of Jerusalem some random county on the middle if your empire, then teleporting all his troops over there if you need them (instead of having them appear wherever his capital is).

but my borders

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
The contextual minutia of this game is terrifying to me, but I still try. If my Character has been leading an army running around my County, and my neighbor in a siege, can I trust the providence of my wife's pregnancy?

Edit : and she just died from leprosy. drat swarthy Greek women.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 24, 2016

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
why don't they just program the AI to only attempt risky seduction when they actually have something to benefit from it

if they just want the traits from it then they could seduce courtiers. there's no reason for my vassals to attempt to seduce my wife unless they're plotting against me.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Its a game for goons why shouldnt we be cucked?

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Gaj posted:

Its a game for goons why shouldnt we be cucked?

The more I see this word filter in action, the more I'm growing to like it.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Gaj posted:

The contextual minutia of this game is terrifying to me, but I still try. If my Character has been leading an army running around my County, and my neighbor in a siege, can I trust the providence of my wife's pregnancy?

Edit : and she just died from leprosy. drat swarthy Greek women.
Characters appear to breed via guided spores in this game, so yes, separation of spouses is nothing to inherently fear.

Only jail bars are capable of preventing pregnancy.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

The Sin of Onan posted:

The more I see this word filter in action, the more I'm growing to like it.

Good thing "I desperately want to be cucked by Satan" was before it's time.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Good thing "I desperately want to be cucked by Satan" was before it's time.

wrong

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jabor posted:

Every time I tried it though, it didnt work? Sigh, what am I doing wrong?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Every time I tried it though, it didnt work? Sigh, what am I doing wrong?
You have to raise vassal levies from that specific county. If you do it with the universal "raise all vassal levies" button, they appear in their respective capitals.

Unless you mean you did that, and troops didn't appear or something?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Is it possible to somehow convert a game from normal to Ironman?

I started a new game last night, as a lowly count in the kingdom of sjaelland in 769. Conquered most of Norway by 810, had an utter steamroller of a ruler (genius, high teens in most stats and something in the thirties on martial :getin: with two genius sons). Only when I came to save and quit to go to bed its not an ironman.

Am I stuck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Nope, you gotta start Ironman or nothing.

2.5.2 beta patch is live:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/crusader-kings-ii-2-5-2-open-beta-patch-not-for-problem-reports-checksum-zwdw.910270/

• Locked thread