Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they could do Super Robot Girls Z, except not creepy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
G Gundam, except instead of countries it's girl's high schools.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

there should still be countries, just high schools in different countries

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Girls und Zaku?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-22/gundam-seed-head-scriptwriter-chiaki-morosawa-passes-away/.98959

Looks like Morosawa passed away. I've certainly said a fair share of things about her writing especially in regards towards Gundam SEED/Destiny. All notions of quality aside, someone with profound impact towards 2 of the most popular Gundam series has passed and that's a bit sad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-22/gundam-seed-head-scriptwriter-chiaki-morosawa-passes-away/.98959

Looks like Morosawa passed away. I've certainly said a fair share of things about her writing especially in regards towards Gundam SEED/Destiny. All notions of quality aside, someone with profound impact towards 2 of the most popular Gundam series has passed and that's a bit sad.

Well... poo poo. That's incredibly sad. She was only 57.

Looking it up apparently she had a pretty rare disease that impacted her heart. So for all the talk it looks like she really was legitimately ill. :smith:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 22, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's a bummer. I wasn't a huge fan either but that's way too young. RIP.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I dunno, when I think of idols in robot anime, my thoughts usually jump to them being some sort of big figure for the populace, either being manipulated to keep the people down or used by revolutionaries to spread ideas or something.

Maybe I'm letting other shows influence my thinking too much, idk. :shrug:

I was just going from the idea I'd written, which didn't invlude those things, I don't actually have a big pitch or anything substancial. No biggie.

I mean, we've all come up with our own pitch for Gundam series over the years, right?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was just going from the idea I'd written, which didn't invlude those things, I don't actually have a big pitch or anything substancial. No biggie.

I mean, we've all come up with our own pitch for Gundam series over the years, right?

Yeah, I know it will never happen, but I'd still love a bug war style show with Gundams.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TheManSeries posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWjfbUfcJUM

Seriously though, that sucks. Dying before sixty is downright depressing.

Caros fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 22, 2016

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

TheManSeries posted:

Yeah, I know it will never happen, but I'd still love a bug war style show with Gundams.

Having never seen either and operating purely off plot synopses, would AGE or Trailblazer qualify, or do you mean something more in the vein of "Alien Species That Cannot Be Understood By Man/Is Understood By Man To Be Genocidal, Humanity Fights Back" ala Starship Troopers?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

I think Sunrise is sort of desperate to find the magic button that makes Gundam relevant again and Unicorn was the closest to that so far. While model kits are important they're just not really creating long-term fanbases for their shows and they've had more than one serious bomb recently and no unqualified successes. Even Build Fighters sold merch but failed to capture its intended audience.

00 seems to be the closest they've had to a real success in decades since it held good ratings (around 4.5% if I recall), sold well on home media as well as shifted a lot of merchandise and gunpla over the years. It's ratings weren't as high as SEED or Destiny, but as far as I know it sold more gunpla and would almost certainly have introduced and held more people to the franchise than either of those shows did. As such, I'm praying we get a 00 sequel in the next few years, because I actually really liked 00 on the balance, even including the second season and the movie. I'd love to see a sequel show about the Sumeragi or another such ship sailing around Next Generation style searching for first contacts, new Earths and just generally interesting stuff to explore and then loving up a first contact and having to try and avoid embroiling Earth in a war against an alien species it isn't really equipped to deal with. Sure, aliens and first contact is more of a Macross thing, but gently caress it, who cares at this point?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

TheManSeries posted:

gundam but with bugs was macross f and that was garbage

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

00 seems to be the closest they've had to a real success in decades since it held good ratings (around 4.5% if I recall), sold well on home media as well as shifted a lot of merchandise and gunpla over the years. It's ratings weren't as high as SEED or Destiny, but as far as I know it sold more gunpla and would almost certainly have introduced and held more people to the franchise than either of those shows did. As such, I'm praying we get a 00 sequel in the next few years, because I actually really liked 00 on the balance, even including the second season and the movie. I'd love to see a sequel show about the Sumeragi or another such ship sailing around Next Generation style searching for first contacts, new Earths and just generally interesting stuff to explore and then loving up a first contact and having to try and avoid embroiling Earth in a war against an alien species it isn't really equipped to deal with. Sure, aliens and first contact is more of a Macross thing, but gently caress it, who cares at this point?

Their big success was Gundam SEED. SEED was credited for saving Gundam from multiple sources in Sunrise and is probably the most enduringly popular Gundam show since the UC. If not for the problems with Destiny and Morisawa's illness it probably would have kept going. (And the illness thing was credited with being the reason the SEED movie never got off the ground.) SEED was a ratings success and a demographic success, the latter being a big thing. It held its popularity for a frankly absurd time and continues to do so. Even SEED HD didn't really demonstrate too much of a cooling on it. SEED also had an advantage 00 didn't. SEED didn't sell as much gunpla (though its gunpla sales were not bad by any means) but it made up for it with character merch. A big part of why 00 had such an early push for character merch was in a hope of capitalizing on that. However the character merch didn't do so hot which is why they went back to going full-on Gunpla for Age and later.

That's honestly the big problem Gundam has. It was in a decline and then SEED was a huge success, but nothing they could capitalize on both due to internal problems and a variety of other factors. Since then they've been trying to find something that succeeds in the way SEED has and they can't seem to find the formula. 00 was probably their biggest success after SEED but it wasn't in the same ballpark. (Though SEED was very likely a case of 'right place, right time' more than anything series quality wise.)

Edit: It's also worth noting that Gundam SEED is also the last Gundam series to have a legitimately successful multimedia entry. Gundam SEED Astray is basically the most popular non-UC spinoff and a good deal more popular than most UC spinoffs. It's a minor thing but they've tried a hard push for that ever since with limited success. Mostly they just kinda fizzle after a bit while Astray inexplicably has gotten new entries for over a decade now.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 22, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I personally think that a non-UC universe should get revisited. Every new series brings forth a new universe, but if you did a Zeta for, say, 00, then you'd have something different.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

CaptainYesterday posted:

I personally think that a non-UC universe should get revisited. Every new series brings forth a new universe, but if you did a Zeta for, say, 00, then you'd have something different.

There are a lot of sidestory manga that do this. Unfortunately they update pretty rarely and seem to get dropped a lot.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Wales Grey posted:

Having never seen either and operating purely off plot synopses, would AGE or Trailblazer qualify, or do you mean something more in the vein of "Alien Species That Cannot Be Understood By Man/Is Understood By Man To Be Genocidal, Humanity Fights Back" ala Starship Troopers?

Pretty much. I don't like using Starship troopers as an example just because that book is way more than just bug war, but it works.

Kuvo posted:

gundam but with bugs was macross f and that was garbage

Honestly, I think that's a really bad comparison. Macross F is Macross with a bug war. I'd want Gundam to be more along the lines of UC but with an alien invasion. Gundam with bugs would be closer to All You Need is Kill, not Macross F.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just animate Developers or the manga with the Acguy brothers or Plot to Assassinate Gihren

i have not read any of them but they seem well-liked and good

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought Wing was a success. True, it was mainly a juggernaut overseas instead of at home but it still did okay in Japan. Contrast with SEED which did phenomenal in Japan and lovely overseas. Doesn't it even out?

Granted, Wing was a long time ago now. Then again, so was SEED.

Also I want to repost this link
http://aeug.blogspot.com/2004_11_01_aeug_archive.html#110060731014068978]Gundam%20TV%20Ratings.
Gundam TV Ratings

I always found this interesting because the topic of Gundam popularity has intrigued me ever since I became a fan of the franchise. There's such a huge diversity of opinions.

And RIP Morosawa. SEED was one of the better Gundams but regardless of that, it sucks to die so young.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SEED did really well overseas too, i thought

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought Wing was a success. True, it was mainly a juggernaut overseas instead of at home but it still did okay in Japan. Contrast with SEED which did phenomenal in Japan and lovely overseas. Doesn't it even out?

Granted, Wing was a long time ago now. Then again, so was SEED.

Also I want to repost this link
http://aeug.blogspot.com/2004_11_01_aeug_archive.html#110060731014068978]Gundam%20TV%20Ratings.
Gundam TV Ratings

I always found this interesting because the topic of Gundam popularity has intrigued me ever since I became a fan of the franchise. There's such a huge diversity of opinions.

And RIP Morosawa. SEED was one of the better Gundams but regardless of that, it sucks to die so young.

Wing was successful, but Wing is also almost two decades old now. It did its job well enough and the Gundams remain some of the most popular there are, plus it is basically the Iconic Gundam for overseas fans. Nothing wrong with Wing except that it's decades old now.

SEED actually didn't do lovely overseas. It wasn't a huge success but it wasn't a tremendous failure either. What really wrecked Gundam overseas was sadly G Gundam. Not because G Gundam did poorly but because G Gundam's marketing and toy sales were all hosed up because they tried super-hard to push a bunch of different toy lines and ended up stocking shelves with tons of Zebra Gundams nobody wanted to buy which really damaged their attempts to market UC and SEED toys afterwards. (Did you know there were SEED toys released in US stores? Probably not because they were drastically under-ordered.) It also ran into the problem of running censored in some really absurdly goofy ways on Cartoon Network which didn't help much.

Not actually a photoshop

Edit: As a fun reminder: Gundam Wing is now almost twice as old as Zeta Gundam was when Wing came out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 22, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

SEED did really well overseas too, i thought

Yeah, as I recall, SEED did pretty good, and Destiny was a home success but an overseas disaster.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Wing was successful, but Wing is also almost two decades old now. It did its job well enough and the Gundams remain some of the most popular there are, plus it is basically the Iconic Gundam for overseas fans. Nothing wrong with Wing except that it's decades old now.

SEED actually didn't do lovely overseas. It wasn't a huge success but it wasn't a tremendous failure either. What really wrecked Gundam overseas was sadly G Gundam. Not because G Gundam did poorly but because G Gundam's marketing and toy sales were all hosed up because they tried super-hard to push a bunch of different toy lines and ended up stocking shelves with tons of Zebra Gundams nobody wanted to buy which really damaged their attempts to market UC and SEED toys afterwards. (Did you know there were SEED toys released in US stores? Probably not because they were drastically under-ordered.) It also ran into the problem of running censored in some really absurdly goofy ways on Cartoon Network which didn't help much.

Not actually a photoshop

Honestly, the disco guns do kind of fit with SEED's ultra-gaudy technological aesthetic. :can:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

TheManSeries posted:

Pretty much. I don't like using Starship troopers as an example just because that book is way more than just bug war, but it works.

Agreed, Starship Troopers is a stirring novel about one young man going to band camp, and cuts off before his performance debut as squad leader. :v: I'm not sure how well Gundam would work with a "Bug War" plot, both AGE and Trailblazer wound up humanizing their alien antagonists (or at least explaining their motives and providing a relatively peaceful resolution to the conflict) and Gundam's always been about human conflict(s).

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, the disco guns do kind of fit with SEED's ultra-gaudy technological aesthetic. :can:

If they were a bit more over-designed and angular, they'd fit perfectly into the show. Like NES Zappers.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 22, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Wales Grey posted:

Agreed, Starship Troopers is a stirring novel about one young man going to band camp, and cuts off before his performance debut as squad leader. :v: I'm not sure how well Gundam would work with a "Bug War" plot, both AGE and Trailblazer wound up humanizing their alien antagonists (or at least explaining their motives and providing a relatively peaceful resolution to the conflict) and Gundam's always been about human conflict(s).

There were no aliens in AGE. Trailblazer in the only gundam property to include aliens (not including the alien fossil in seed).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Bugwar gundam is called muv luv alternative, and for the life of it it cant get adapted into a halfway decent anime.

I'd kill for a muv luv series by sunrise though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Bugwar gundam is called muv luv alternative, and for the life of it it cant get adapted into a halfway decent anime.

I'm not sure you can adopt anything with those pilot suits into a good anime.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
RIP Chiaki Morosawa. Aortic dissection, the same thing that killed John Ritter, drat.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well that just plain sucks. Not got around to watching SEED yet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Apparently it's pretty hilariously hypernationalistic, too, though I guess that (literally) fetishising the shogunate rather than the Meiji/Showa empire is a small plus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

What I've heard is the following:

The ratings are poor in Japan. The last numbers I saw were at or below Age's numbers. The model kits are not selling particularly well either. They're not bombing as badly as Age but they're not flying off the shelf either. Barbatos appears to be doing well but otherwise it's been fairly tepid. There is hearsay about it doing better with overseas audiences but that is by its very nature hard to quantify and doesn't represent anything solid. Word of mouth on forums tends to be divided. (Some people adore it but there's also a lot of complaints about it being slow/boring/ect. )

If it is doing well it's a modest success, not a runaway success, but there's too much hearsay to really reliably judge it beyond that at the moment.

IBO I think is a bit of a tough sell. It has some strengths that can also be weaknesses. The long period of time between mecha fights is refreshing if you're a long-time Gundam watcher or not really in it for the robots but in terms of selling it to a less-receptive audience it runs into the problem of feeling slow or boring. The subject matter is pretty grim and weighty in a way that is difficult to sell. The dub is going to have to sell some pretty hard material and it depends on if it is up to it. I'm not exactly raising my flag over Johnny Yong Bosch as Orga. (He'd be a good Eugine I think.) I certainly think it'd have potential on something like Adult Swim but could easily be misjudged especially since most name recognition that Gundam has is the US is more due to Wing or G than anything.

Orga really needs a harder voice like maybe Crispin Freeman's, JYB's is too soft for Orga's but would definitely make a good Eugene. Also apparently Sunrise is releasing Build Fighters and Build Fighters Try in the west on DVD :allears:.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Orga really needs a harder voice like maybe Crispin Freeman's, JYB's is too soft for Orga's but would definitely make a good Eugene. Also apparently Sunrise is releasing Build Fighters and Build Fighters Try in the west on DVD :allears:.

Yeah, that was my thought too. JYB's voice always feels a little whiny to me. It's appropriate for certain characters but Orga's basically defined by being hard as a brick. Maybe he'll pull off a better job than I expect but at very least he wouldn't be my first choice for the role.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheManSeries posted:

Well, this sucks. I hope this doesn't mean the complete end of C.E.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They're no worse than the pilot suits in Eva.

Darth Walrus posted:

Apparently it's pretty hilariously hypernationalistic, too, though I guess that (literally) fetishising the shogunate rather than the Meiji/Showa empire is a small plus.

I'm not saying it's not nationalistic but most of criticism that it's received from that is from people who didn't understand the coup arc or what America and Japans role in world politics is in the Alt verse. They've also massively backed off from the more nationalist stuff in the new adaptions coming out.

DamnGlitch posted:

There's no way alternative would be great, maybe good, but not great without including unlimited and extra. But there's no way people are gonna sit through 10 episodes of highschool hijinx, lacrosse, and cats cradle to get to the alien killing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah the coup stuff and hyper nationalist stuff is like that because its a take on the coup and hyper nationalism of the 1930s, so to strip the nationalistic part out would be to miss the point. Its saying something about nationalism, its not just being nationalistic for the sake of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
OK, you guys have been selling Muv-Luv pretty hard, so I went on a wander around the wiki, decided to get a general idea of the plot, how the central time-travel/dimension-hopping gimmick works, and... umm... huh.

:nms:

http://muvluv.wikia.com/wiki/00_Unit posted:

Later in the story, and despite being a machine, the 00 Unit grows too close to Takeru, and upon realizing it, decides to push him away in "guilt" and in "fear" of him getting hurt. Despite its attempts, Takeru doesn't give up on it, and as a last resort it chooses to let him see the emulated memories of Kagami Sumika when she was in captivity in the Yokohama Hive directly through telepathic projection from her memories. It showed him the images of him being eaten alive as he tried to save Kagami Sumika and the immediate resulting situation where she didn't grieve for him or attempt to avenge him and instead kept gleefully sexually fantasizing about him as the BETA experimented on her sexual organs, all in hope to make him feel disgusted enough to leave. Her heart eventually gave in from the intense orgasms, so the BETA gave her a larger heart, enlarged sexual organs and repeated the experimentation, only this time with even more intense orgasms and then repeated the cycle as necessary.

The BETA eventually cut away the human body parts that did not directly contribute to the feelings of pleasure, meaning she was left as only a brain and a spine. From that day onwards, to the point of her death, she spent every waking second experiencing nothing but intense orgasms, with Shirogane Takeru as the most likely subject of her fantasies (a major factor in allowing Extra Shirogane cross dimensions). Despite seeing all that, Takeru says he does not care in the slightest about the past and keeps pursuing her until she breaks down in tears and admits her feelings for him.
:nms:

:stonk:

Like... I'm prepared to accept that the rereleases might have toned that little detail down, or altered/removed it entirely (do they? Please say they do), but why the gently caress would you make that a major plot point in the first place.

Anyway. Gundam. Gundam is good. Gundam has giant stompy robots. Gundam does not have... that.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 23, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Why did I read that... I think I'm gonna be sick.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Its cut from the all ages version iirc.

Anyway mla is a feel-bad story so mission accomplished i guess.

I didnt mean to derail thing into this. Sorry guys. Looking forward to ibo finishing so I can take a look finally.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 23, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What in the holy gently caress does that have to do with giant robosuits blowing each other up?

Take me away Char :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
To be honest if I were to spend an eternity trapped in some machine, I'd rather experience continuous pleasure, over and over.