Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

RanKizama posted:

People still complain about the M3 Lee despite how great it is? Gotta hang back and abuse that gun. The Grant is even more hilariously fun with the 6pdr.

This person has an anime avatar, is coming off a month-long ban for being creepy, and has six thousand games in the M3 Lee, I don't know if those things are all related, I'll leave it up to you to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Hellsau posted:

This person has an anime avatar, is coming off a month-long ban for being creepy, and has six thousand games in the M3 Lee, I don't know if those things are all related, I'll leave it up to you to decide.
I am all that is wonderful in this world.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Just started playing this a month ago and really enjoying noobing around with the German td's. Assuming I'm very bad at video games, I should just stay T5 or lower right?

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

Just started playing this a month ago and really enjoying noobing around with the German td's. Assuming I'm very bad at video games, I should just stay T5 or lower right?
T5 isn't a bad choice, german tds peak at the stug iii with long 75 (aka laser cannon) for usability, learn how to play the game in tanks with some survivability like the IS or E-75 before you try to go any further

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Stug III owns, I have like 600 games in mine. Your only real downside is you don't have enough ammo to kill all mans and there are a number of guns around those tiers that will one shot you. Hell I might play some more tanks now just to play my Stug.

Full disclosure though, Stug play style is not at all similar to higher tier german TD that lose all mobility and camo.

Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Yeah i just assume I'm a glass cannon regardless of what tier I'm in and try to hang back and pick off the lights that overextend. Defending arties can be a fun game all by itself.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Yeah i just assume I'm a glass cannon regardless of what tier I'm in and try to hang back and pick off the lights that overextend. Defending arties can be a fun game all by itself.

oh my gently caress please don't be that guy. The "protecting arty" guy.

elementary game theory requires you invest along with the majority of your team in doing damage early and often

if you "sit back" with no actual co-ordination you invite a defeat in detail. CHAI snipers manage this with high muzzle velocity APCR slingers on mobile mediums, but you won't, as you don't have the map knowledge or the tier.

Don't be a dick. Put rammer, net, binocs on your stug, use your mobility to get to unexpected flanks and keep your gun firing. That is what TDs do, they destroy. You are not a reserve or a ~sniper~, you melt KVs with your superior gun handling and penetration.

As you probably don't have 6th sense it might also help to be near hard cover.

It's fine to hang back 100m off a heavy's shoulder, but don't ever "protect arty" -- that's for people who want a sub-40 winrate and the loathing of their fellow players

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Instead of defending your arty go ahead and tk them then move up and support the team from flanks, not too far but not right up in the enemies grill either.

Fun fact though, Stug has some pretty sweet acceleration that will let you drive circles around some big heavies whose turrets can't rotate fast enough. Circle death by a thousand needles.

Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
I'm not right on the artie's rear end; I go out about half way and double back if they're in trouble.

BadLlama posted:

Instead of defending your arty go ahead and tk them then move up and support the team from flanks, not too far but not right up in the enemies grill.

This is exactly what I do. Sorry if I worded it wrong before.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It is pretty much guaranteed that your arty players are drooling mongoloids with double digit WN8 and will contribute nothing to winning the game, so nothing of value is lost when they die.

On the off chance that you get a decent arty player on your team, they would much rather have another pair of eyes spotting targets on the front line before they get close enough to become a threat.

Edit: Don't take our flipping out about this personally. It's just that there is nothing more infuriating to an experienced player than a teammate refusing to contribute to winning the match because they're "protecting arty".

McGavin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 23, 2016

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

I'm not right on the artie's rear end; I go out about half way and double back if they're in trouble.

This is exactly what I do. Sorry if I worded it wrong before.

the mediums on your team are designed to kill infiltrators; they have adequate pen, fast rotating turrets, and ok mobility. if the arty die, who cares? the mediums should be protecting you, in your high-pen low profile dpm machine.

e: yeah what boyfacedpigMcGavin said, "staying back to protect arty" is the most horrible part of the random metagame and has been for years

we just want the best for you -- and that means never protecting arty until you really know what you are doing

V that's in rossmum's modpack iirc

stephenfry fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 23, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

You also need to get some panzer girl skins for your stug or whatever.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

McGavin posted:

On the off chance that you get a decent arty player on your team, they would much rather have another pair of eyes spotting targets on the front line before they get close enough to become a threat.

Edit: Don't take our flipping out about this personally. It's just that there is nothing more infuriating to an experienced player than a teammate refusing to contribute to winning the match because they're "protecting arty".

not to mention that most people "protecting arty" also set up way, way too close to the artillery so the chain of events is typically something like light tank sneaks by front line -> spots SPGs -> SPGs instantly get CBd -> scout tank possibly gets killed by the "defender" at some point after this. maybe.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sometimes I'll take my E5 out for a spin and tell people that I'm protecting arty in allchat, then hide behind arty

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I tell my team the strategic advantages of going valley on Lakeville if there's another blue/purple player on my team.

e: I'll actually go valley if the reaction is strong enough

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

nothing to see here

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Control Volume posted:

I tell my team the strategic advantages of going valley on Lakeville if there's another blue/purple player on my team.

e: I'll actually go valley if the reaction is strong enough

:stonklol: Some trolls are just too terrible to comprehend...

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

actually going valley? i think the joke's on him in that case.

Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Yeah I'm usually 1/3 to 1/2 way deep on a flank taking shots at anything exposed while my buddy is playing artie supporting what I spot/shoot. If he gets in trouble I head back to help if possible. We're both noobs so it's quite likely you guys would flip having to watch or play with us. The main thing is we're enjoying our time and I highly doubt either of us will ever reach a high level of play.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

World of Tanks is not about personal enjoyment :colbert:

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Yeah I'm usually 1/3 to 1/2 way deep on a flank taking shots at anything exposed while my buddy is playing artie supporting what I spot/shoot. If he gets in trouble I head back to help if possible. We're both noobs so it's quite likely you guys would flip having to watch or play with us. The main thing is we're enjoying our time and I highly doubt either of us will ever reach a high level of play.

join the goons channel (see the PGS thread for password etc) and Discord server and goons will probably platoon with both of you to help

there is no high level of play, it's stillborn as an e-sport, clan wars is dead, and general playerbase is apparently falling

we're all awful, me especially

V uh forget everything I said then. wow.

stephenfry fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 23, 2016

Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
*mumbling* we're playing on the xbone so i highly doubt any goons are on that platform. *coughs uncomfortably. Leaves room quickly*

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah you better run. Filthy lil console b*tch.

Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
The nice thing about it is the skill levels are all fairly even. Also no group chat.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
No chat is simultaneously a good and bad thing. On the one hand, there are times when you don't want to read the inane mewlings of window lickers. On the other hand, trolling these same people is a larger-than-expected part of what makes the game tolerable.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

The nice thing about it is the skill levels are all fairly even. Also no group chat.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I've thought about trying the Xbox or PS4 versions sometime, but then I ask myself why I would want to grind to unlock tanks I already own.

Unrelated: -G- gets really salty when you set them on fire, especially when it's less than half a second after someone else sets them on fire and their auto-extinguisher is used up.

Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

No chat is simultaneously a good and bad thing. On the one hand, there are times when you don't want to read the inane mewlings of window lickers. On the other hand, trolling these same people is a larger-than-expected part of what makes the game tolerable.

Haha I bet. I gave up my griefing days back with original star craft.

Set up 4v1 comp stomps. Allied victory off, turn the remaining players against each other by accusing them all of being the backstabber. God that was fun.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Steelion posted:

Unrelated: -G- gets really salty when you set them on fire, especially when it's less than half a second after someone else sets them on fire and their auto-extinguisher is used up.

I get really salty when that happens to me as well... :blush:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

:toot: I guess?

Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Another general newbie question: at what point should I start worrying about equipment and consumables? Given my class, it's rare I survive more than a shot or two. Would repair kits and fire stuff even matter till top tiers?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Another general newbie question: at what point should I start worrying about equipment and consumables? Given my class, it's rare I survive more than a shot or two. Would repair kits and fire stuff even matter till top tiers?

You should always equip a manual fire kit and small repair kit at the least. They only cost money if you use them so if you get one shot it doesn't matter. Spending 3,000 credits to repair your tracks and survive a battle can actually net you money instead of not using it and then dieing.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

always use the action consumbles (ie repair kit, med kit, auto extinguisher) unless you know what you are doing. Reason why you should have them is you can choose to not use them in battle, if its near the end or w/e but if you get gimped early on you want the option to repair. It literally costs nothing unless you use the kit, so you can keep the repair kit/medkit rolling over until you decide to use it then need to rebuy it.
e;fb

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Repair kits and medkits are always useful. Automatic fire extinguishers are invaluable at higher tiers, but at lower tiers it really can be a credit sink if you're driving a flammable tank. Even so, it's only expensive if it gets used, and you generally catch fire rarely enough that even the auto-extinguishers aren't a noticeable expense.

Always carry at least a small medkit and repair kit, and always carry some form of fire extinguisher. They're cheap, and having one can make the difference between dying uselessly and contributing to the team. Don't be the guy who burns away 1/2 of his hp to a fire because he can't be assed to pay 3k credits once in a while.

Artillery, especially higher tiers, gets good use out of food, but that's only because they don't really need any of the other consumables. Food is expensive. Don't use food unless you really, really know what you're doing, since not having a repair kit/medkit/extinguisher can be disastrous.

Equipment is generally less useful on lower tier stuff, just because of the expense compared to how long you generally expect to keep the tanks. I usually aim to start putting equipment on by tier 6, and have a small pile of gold for un-mounting it when I move to the next tier. However, generally the only useful equipment are rammers, vertical stabilizers, and either optics, gun laying drive, or vents. Any of the other equipment is really situational (wet stowage on tanks with vulnerable racks, suspension for stock tanks that desperately need more carry weight) or completely useless (grousers, spall liners that aren't superheavy). Low tiers generally can't mount vstabs though, so you might be able to get away with using binocs or a camo net, especially if you're using TDs.

e: v v v Camo nets and binocs are not consumable. You only ever need one, since you can freely demount it from any tank at any time (unless it's in battle).

Steelion fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 23, 2016

Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Ok what about things like the camo net? Are those single use? 80k seems pretty steep for a single-use 25% bonus to stealth.

Edit: answered as i was writing. Thanks, guys! Maybe I'll start a pc account so I can tool around with you folks.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Prav posted:

actually going valley? i think the joke's on him in that case.

oh sorry didn't mean to make the impression that I'm camping valley, or doing anything that would detract from the speed and aggressive advances necessary to cap fast.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
camonet, binocular and toolbox are removable , and should be on all your tanks unless you want to buy real equipment

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Control Volume posted:

oh sorry didn't mean to make the impression that I'm camping valley, or doing anything that would detract from the speed and aggressive advances necessary to cap fast.

fast caps are the road to victory :patriot:

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
True story, my SU-14-2 survived a loss because the enemy team, after completely rolling over the north flank of Sacred Valley, didn't feel like driving over that little ridge in the NE corner of the north spawn to shoot me, and capped out instead. I would have driven over and tried to shotgun someone, but three tanks can cap out faster than I can load a shell :v:

Another capfast success story!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That ridge is an hero to arty :patriot: