Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Tales of Woe posted:

"FOTM broken" champs don't matter below like diamond. you can pick your way out of victory in low elo games by picking like ryze or nidalee or lee sin, but you can't pick your way into free wins since the best champs are still only 55%

I disagree with this. As a lovely Bronzie (was Silver the last two seasons, placed into Bronze this season), I can tell the additional juice that comes from playing a "broken" champion.

Just last night, I played Udyr jungle. I hosed things up early. Badly. I mean, I had no right winning that game. But the game kept going, and using Udyr's magical skill set of "Press W, press E, stun someone, press W, press E, stun someone else," until you've stunned their entire team like a mad pinball of stun, we won.

If I were playing someone like Vi and had hosed things up early like I did, I'm pretty confident my team wouldn't have won. I would not have been able to use overpowered poo poo to do much more than a lovely early game should have allowed.

It's similar with Kog. I see people in Bronze giving up 3 or 4 early deaths on him. Then they just Kog out, and win anyway. That isn't happening with any other ADC right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Playing something just because it's FOTM is good way to lose.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
okay I will try roaming.

Also it seems recently that most junglers I played with are assholes.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03uk1JO1YZM

Bringing you the content we all need.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

SlyFrog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03uk1JO1YZM

Bringing you the content we all need.

This is excellent, I really enjoy when robots tell me how to make mexican food. The future is amazing and it's now.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Safety Scissors posted:

I also think this is completely wrong. Peoples elos don't change the way the number system works. If I'm a bronze Ashe and I have a good chunk of extra AD and crit, I'll out damage a diamond Varus if we just click on each other. That scenario isn't skill based. The game is hard coded to work that way. With kog it just happens to be aspd and on hit damage.

Isn't a big part of being ADC learning how to cancel your auto animation, allowing you to get more autos in?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
It only lets you move more, nothing makes you get more autos in (for the same attack speed)

Unless you mean like get more autos in while they run away in which case yes

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
so if we take skill out of the equation in this skill based game, the guy with higher numbers will win.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Coca Koala posted:

Isn't a big part of being ADC learning how to cancel your auto animation, allowing you to get more autos in?

Cancelling the backswing of autos lets you move more between attacks, and moving (to a good place) as ADC helps you stay alive and avoid getting sat on or blown up.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Coca Koala posted:

AAs are fixed at a certain speed depending on your items and base attack speed. Learning to attack move let's you cover distance and attack, where as normally you would just stand still and attack. This can let you get substantially more autos if the person is running away for example. It also let's you kite, avoid skill shots, and abuse differences in attack range. This doesn't increase your maximum AAs allowed in a certain time period though. In that example, there's no way for Varus to out auto Ashe since she has a range advantage on him. As long as she clicks on Varus, she will always win the trade.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

seizure later posted:

so if we take skill out of the equation in this skill based game, the guy with higher numbers will win.

I think it's more of when nobody has skill (because it's bronze) the guy with the better numbers will win.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

The Shortest Path posted:

I think it's more of when nobody has skill (because it's bronze) the guy with the better numbers will win.

When the measure of skill is just ramming two action figures into each other as hard as possible, the one with more mass is more likely to emerge the winner.

Bronze team fighting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2XvxDaIwCw

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean working my way back up through Bronze you see some magical things. And the constant jax bans still because people like to ground up and make sure jax always gets a 4/5 man stun off.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Kashuno posted:

Yeah I mean working my way back up through Bronze you see some magical things. And the constant jax bans still because people like to ground up and make sure jax always gets a 4/5 man stun off.

It's pretty hilarious. The constant Darius bans, the 0/10 bot lanes at fifteen minutes, etc. Bronze is a special place (I can't wait to get out).

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I like that I can drop a single pink ward deep in the enemy jungle at about 7-8 minutes in and it will stay there for the entirety of a 50min game no matter how many times they walk through that brush. Bonus points if they drop a blue ward there and still don't clear it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Thought I was in bronze when our mid lane kat fed 0/8 in the first 15 minutes, then she ended up carrying. Turns out I was actually in bronze.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

It's pretty hilarious. The constant Darius bans, the 0/10 bot lanes at fifteen minutes, etc. Bronze is a special place (I can't wait to get out).

the bot lane thing is especially pronounced this season now that ADCs are stronger earlier, that lane used to be the least snowbally in general but no longer

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tales of Woe posted:

the bot lane thing is especially pronounced this season now that ADCs are stronger earlier, that lane used to be the least snowbally in general but no longer

Play support and drag your poo poo ADC kicking and screaming about how you take all their kills to an amazingly easy victory.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Killed By Death posted:

Please don't buy Sunfire on supports, thanks! Literally every other armor item in the game is better for supporting.

Quoting this for the next page

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that's a corollary of the more important "please don't split on supports"

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
All this bronze talk makes me sad that I made silver 3 after 2-8 placements.

Bronze sounds like a magical land for junglers since no one wards and everyone overstays. In silver, people are mechanically pretty good, but just have no idea what pushing and objectives are so its just frustrating

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lady Naga posted:

Well yes that was my point? Yi sucks enough atm that I can't rely on someone picking him in these kinds of games to play well enough to compensate for it. I've seen more effective Jhins than I have effective Yis.

It's been so long since I started, do you still get one free champ after the tutorial?

Master Yi has a really high win rate actually

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There are a lot of reasons Sunfire Cape is terrible on supports but at the very least understand that the passive scales off of level and is going to do the least damage on them. I mean it's not the main reason the item is bad on supports, but the part that you think is good on it is actually not even good on you.

Also I think I am still in season 5 as I have gotten 4 and 5 man ganked bot lane during laning phase several times in the past few days.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tales of Woe posted:

that's a corollary of the more important "please don't split on supports"

gently caress that. At low elo people are absolutely retarded and will happily go teamfight in the jungle while a wave takes a tower. You should not let this happen if you are a support that has any form of waveclear (So... Blitz, Naut, Vel'koz, Brand, Zyra, Vel'Koz, Zilean). Losing a tower is way worse than your team going 2 for 3 instead of 3 for 2 in a teamfight that no objectives are taken off anyway.

Don't ever buy Sunfire on a support though. It just does nothing good at all.

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
While it's not quite split pushing, I've become l very fond of supports that can easily push a wave out if it's been neglected - it's very satisfying as Zilean to zoom into a lane, double bomb it, Banner a minion, and zoom back to my team in less time than they need to do something stupid.

Constantly creating side lane pressure leads to so many free objectives.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Primetime posted:

All this bronze talk makes me sad that I made silver 3 after 2-8 placements.

Bronze sounds like a magical land for junglers since no one wards and everyone overstays. In silver, people are mechanically pretty good, but just have no idea what pushing and objectives are so its just frustrating

group mid
all mid
team?
???
[67 assist pings]

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

Also I think I am still in season 5 as I have gotten 4 and 5 man ganked bot lane during laning phase several times in the past few days.

Even after the tp nerf it's still not clear that there's enough reason to take a combat summoner instead of tp in solo lanes when you can feast on those juicy underleveled bot laners when they overextend. It's kind of a top level design problem with having a duo lane, or having a TP summoner spell.

K8.0 posted:

gently caress that. At low elo people are absolutely retarded and will happily go teamfight in the jungle while a wave takes a tower. You should not let this happen if you are a support that has any form of waveclear (So... Blitz, Naut, Vel'koz, Brand, Zyra, Vel'Koz, Zilean). Losing a tower is way worse than your team going 2 for 3 instead of 3 for 2 in a teamfight that no objectives are taken off anyway.

Catching a wave and setting it up to push back is not the same thing as splitting

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

K8.0 posted:

No

Stop

No

You're wrong.

Support your team and then tell them what to do once you've won the fight.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Sunfire cape is a laning item that transitions well into teleport split pushing. It should only ever be purchased by tanks who need it to help push lanes early and split late. Support should never be responsible for minion wave control unless the other members of the team are total failures (which, hey, is possible).

Supports should always be screening and protecting more valuable members of the team from aggression, making their own aggressive setup plays, or roaming and risking themselves for vision and information which allows the team to make informed decisions about what to do in terms of objectives. At no point in time should a good support player feel like they have the requirement or desire to sit and farm up two minion waves unless the game is a total wash.

Therefore, all the other armor items (especially anything with CDR and actives) are better to have short term immediate impact on engagements.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Thought I was in bronze when our mid lane kat fed 0/8 in the first 15 minutes, then she ended up carrying. Turns out I was actually in bronze.

Lmao

Soreign
Dec 31, 2015

K8.0 posted:

Agee, did you also have a rengar jungle who ran heal/flash and miss fortune with tank runes/masteries.
I'm suprised we even won that ranked.

what I do notice is that in bronze people always want to stick to having a tank support/tank top and w/e for the rest.
I received a huge complaint in champion select earlier for wanting to play vel'koz support untill later ingame where my adc showered me with compliments instead.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There's no loving reason to queue as a support if you aren't going to do support stuff now that dynamic queue exists

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

The problem is that in bronze the only thought they put into building any kind of teamcomp is "we need a tank"

and they don't want to be that tank. So they try and make top or support always do it.

I don't mind because I'm awful at toplane and only play Sion and maybe Rek'Sai up there if I know I can get away with the matchup but still.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tales of Woe posted:

Catching a wave and setting it up to push back is not the same thing as splitting

It is in Bronze, because all they know how to do is go in 24/7. If you try to turn a wave and then run to your team, they will almost always start a fight and lose before you can get there, so you may as well just keep pushing until you're either unsafe or need to back to defend a tower.

If you think I'm wrong about this, you need to go watch some actual bronze games and play with some actual bronze players. You simply cannot coordinate and organize a bronze team. You can ward, set up picks, bail people out of bad situations, whatever you want all you like. It doesn't matter because people in Bronze have no concept of using any of that. Actual Bronze support players who have no idea what the gently caress to do are far better off ensuring that all the gold and XP on the map gets vacuumed up to weight the eventual 45 minute coinflip ace that decides the game. If you can't convince your teammates to take it, you absolutely should take it yourself because Bronze is so loving bad.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Top, jungle, adc, and mid all pick ad champions say to the support: we need ap and a tank

is always my favorite

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I play with a guy who plays a lot of ap mages as support and is pretty good, but he regularly goes to lanes with large waves that someone else already pinged they were heading towards just to hoover up all the farm. I have also seen him on more than one occasion do jungle camps instead of something like warding or anything useful.

He was plat 2 last season

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

K8.0 posted:

It is in Bronze, because all they know how to do is go in 24/7. If you try to turn a wave and then run to your team, they will almost always start a fight and lose before you can get there, so you may as well just keep pushing until you're either unsafe or need to back to defend a tower.

If you think I'm wrong about this, you need to go watch some actual bronze games and play with some actual bronze players. You simply cannot coordinate and organize a bronze team. You can ward, set up picks, bail people out of bad situations, whatever you want all you like. It doesn't matter because people in Bronze have no concept of using any of that. Actual Bronze support players who have no idea what the gently caress to do are far better off ensuring that all the gold and XP on the map gets vacuumed up to weight the eventual 45 minute coinflip ace that decides the game. If you can't convince your teammates to take it, you absolutely should take it yourself because Bronze is so loving bad.

Confirming this - you can literally type, "Clearing bot lane to save tower, will come back, pls don't fight for 10 seconds" and your team will literally force a 4v5 under the other team's mid tower. When your team is behind on kills. And gold. And CS. And the point I'm making is that they have no reason to force a fight in an unfavorable place. But they will.

Because Bronze = can't stop, won't stop. P.Diddy.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zy3HVM3ZYU

This is some comically good Thresh play.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

No

Stop

No

You're wrong.

Support your team and then tell them what to do once you've won the fight.

This is pretty much true. There have been numerous times where my team is like "Ya know what's cool forcing a fight at baron with no vision." and despite every fiber of my being wanting to not fight there, sometimes as support you just gotta suck it up, go in there, ward as much as possible in the 2 seconds you have before poo poo happens, and make the fight work as best you can, especially on someone like nautilus who has an ult that can complete change the battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

henkman posted:

Top, jungle, adc, and mid all pick ad champions say to the support: we need ap and a tank

is always my favorite

Maokai duh free sustain and harass and can tank AND do magic damage!!!

Throw out sapling harass while you wait the full twenty minutes to buy a RoA, lose game, blame team, perfect

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 24, 2016

• Locked thread