Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Murphy Brownback posted:

So use grocery bags. It's still leaving the poo poo around/littering. When I'm walking home at night I'm just as likely to step on your flimsy bag as I am an un-picked-up poo poo because you can't see anything if the sidewalk is dark. Unless your dog is taking massive 5 pound shits, those bags are more than fine to carry it back home or to the nearest trash can. Even if it's inconvenient to you, it's your responsibility to put up with it. Leaving it behind is just passing on the job of cleaning up after your pet to someone else.

I completely agree with you; it's gross and gives dog owners a bad rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Writer Cath posted:

At least with my experience, sometimes there's no garbage can around. We got a trash can put down near my studio and it's done wonders to get rid of a lot of the trash. Those bags are flimsy as hell, so I can't blame people for not walking with it, especially if there's no trash can in sight. Those bags will just fall apart.

There are still douches who don't bother to pick up after their dogs at all :argh:

I also want to point out that in my city, there is literally a trash can every single block, and I have seen people leave it in front of the garbage can. I think some people are just really passive aggressive.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I wonder how significant the amounts of little plastic baggies of poop make up our lanfills. Does every turd really need to be ensconced in plastic? I haven't had a dog since I was a kid, and back then we carried a grocery bag for accidents, but basically we didn't let the dog crap on neighbors property, and if we saw the poop dance at the park we'd just guide her over to some bushes out of the way of foot traffic. But mostly, we just made sure she poo poo in our yard before we went out for a walk. I suppose that's not really tenable today though is it?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
There's a small lake near my house with a path going around it and a few picnic areas, so it's a pretty popular spot for joggers and dog walking and general outdoor activities. What drives me positively INSANE is that it doesn't have any trash cans. Not even one. To "discourage littering". So if your dog shits you bag it up and have to drive your little bag of poo poo home with you to throw away, or if you have a picnic you need to put full garbage bags in your car which is super fun in the summer.

Inevitably what ends up happening instead is that people end up going "gently caress it" to picking up dog poo poo or their garbage because they don't want to drive home with it so they just leave it so the park ends up more littered and has magnitudes more piles of dog poo poo than ones that have trash cans.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

it doesn't have any trash cans. Not even one. To "discourage littering".

I didn't realise actual Opposites Day was observed in some places.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Dog poo poo bins at head height.

Who the gently caress thought of that bright idea?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've seen people bag up their dog's poo poo and then fling it up into a tree.

As in, multiple people on different occasions. :psyduck:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I know that some people bag it and leave it if they're on a circuit and pick it up on their way back around so they don't have to carry it the whole time (especially people who run with their dogs), but that's probably not the case for most dog poo poo leavers.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bast Relief posted:

I wonder how significant the amounts of little plastic baggies of poop make up our lanfills. Does every turd really need to be ensconced in plastic? I haven't had a dog since I was a kid, and back then we carried a grocery bag for accidents, but basically we didn't let the dog crap on neighbors property, and if we saw the poop dance at the park we'd just guide her over to some bushes out of the way of foot traffic. But mostly, we just made sure she poo poo in our yard before we went out for a walk. I suppose that's not really tenable today though is it?

Some people live in a city.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

teenytinymouse posted:

I didn't realise actual Opposites Day was observed in some places.

I bet they're using "littering" in the sense of One Weird Trick to Reduce Your Garbage Bills: cancel your service and dump all your household waste in the park!

Happens all the time.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

What drives me positively INSANE is that it doesn't have any trash cans. Not even one. To "discourage littering".

I wish I could be at the meeting where that was decided. "Let's ban seatbelts to reduce traffic accidents!"

Bast Relief posted:

At least here, the bags are usually made of a compostable material. You're actually meant to toss them in compost bins. Some people get really sandy about people using their garbage/recycling/compost bins, but I welcome people using mine if it means I don't step on a plastic doo bag. I should mention that my front yard is literally an off-leash dog park, so I take the prospect of accidentally stepping in poo poo pretty seriously.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cash crab posted:

People find it super irritating to walk around with me because I refuse to jaywalk.
I generally don't have a problem with people insisting on waiting for the lights, but some people take it to extremes. If there's literally no traffic and you're waiting for the lights, what is wrong with you? But what's far more annoying is people who won't run for the lights. If we're half way down the block and see the light ahead go green, run! Obvious exception if you literally can't, but otherwise why would you not?

Wedemeyer posted:

that 'white people' half jog
What? :stare:

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

What drives me positively INSANE is that it doesn't have any trash cans. Not even one. To "discourage littering".
A while ago they took all the rubbish bins out of train stations here, because of terrorism, apparently? When the train stations immediately filled with discarded rubbish they put some back, but not on the actual platforms, so people actually waiting for a train still have nowhere to put their rubbish.

cash crab posted:

Some people get really sandy about people using their garbage/recycling/compost bins
I've heard of people getting annoyed at other people using their bins, but I've never understood it. How does it even affect you? It's not like you pay for rubbish collection by weight or something.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I got a $9 fine from my garbage company last month because some chucklefuck on my street put a large hefty-bag of garbage in my can and the lid wouldn't close. They did it to each of my neighbors too.

Joke was on them, though - my friend at the garbage company looked up recent service interruptions in the neighborhood, found the guy who did it, slapped HIM with a fine, and gave me a bill credit. Some people have powerful friends, amigo.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

walrusman posted:

I got a $9 fine from my garbage company last month because some chucklefuck on my street put a large hefty-bag of garbage in my can and the lid wouldn't close. They did it to each of my neighbors too.

Joke was on them, though - my friend at the garbage company looked up recent service interruptions in the neighborhood, found the guy who did it, slapped HIM with a fine, and gave me a bill credit. Some people have powerful friends, amigo.

This is such a sweet victory.

I share one regular trash can with two units in my three unit place. Each of us have a separate big recycle bin. I hide mine because they are retarded and fill every bin, including mine, with un-flattened boxes and non-recyclables. The landlord also fills all of our recycle bins with weird computer parts that he has half dismantled. So I keep my garbage can locked up in my side area. That doesn't mean I'm safe. One day I came home on recycle day to find someone had dumped an entire Safeway strawberry sheet cake in my recycle bin while it was in the street. Also some half eaten spinach dip and an empty bag of pita chips. According to my landlord the video evidence showed an SUV pulling up to my can to dump the cake in there but it couldn't identify anyone. Yeah, I was that pissed that I called my property manager over it. I'm a mostly normal person, but there are somethings that I get unhinged about.

Trash stuff drives me nuts. It's like, the easiest household thing to do but no one can figure it out. I used to take the weird stuff out of my bin, stand in front of the security camera with the regular trash bin and put it in there while gesticulating madly, hoping that my weirdo property manager would get the point to stop putting things, like venetian blinds, in the recycle. Recently, the rental near my parents lost its tenants again, and in a matter of three months those dudes managed to fill the back yard and garage with black plastic bags of trash. The property manager went through some of it and found perfectly fine, but dirty, ceramic plates. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Anyway, I'm glad poop bags are compostable. I guess I just don't get the appeal of dog ownership in the city.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

cash crab posted:

I wish I could be at the meeting where that was decided. "Let's ban seatbelts to reduce traffic accidents!"

Well obviously banning seatbelts would make everyone drive more carefully when they're out on the road :cheeky:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

He's talking about that thing people do when crossing a street or whatever where they realize they have to hurry up and "jog", but at a walking pace just to make it look like they're trying when they really aren't. I don't think it's exclusive to white people though.

e: vvv no, why would it be :confused:

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 09:57 on Feb 22, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There are a lot of people in this thread that have peeves from the perspective of working at the checkout so this seems like a good place to ask. If I'm just getting one or two things, is it passive-aggressive or otherwise wrong to say "Just this/these thanks"?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Motherfucking scouts at grocery store doors. Girl and boys both. No, I don't want your cookies or popcorn balls, I want to get inside and loving shop for real food! Though I have found wearing headphones discourages the kids from asking you if you want to buy something and support the group.

gently caress, I hate being asked to support anything when I check out either. I always want to ask how much of the drat dollar actually goes to the cancer kids or the sick kids or the Make a Wish but the poor cashier wouldn't know and there's no point in holding up the line.

Along those lines, being told about the Promotion of the Month, which is hardly ever related to something you are buying right then. At a copy store I was picking up some pens and the cashier had a spiel about printer paper being $2 off this month, and oh they also have canvas prints at 50% off, and....really? Does poo poo like this boost sales?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Cowslips Warren posted:

Along those lines, being told about the Promotion of the Month, which is hardly ever related to something you are buying right then. At a copy store I was picking up some pens and the cashier had a spiel about printer paper being $2 off this month, and oh they also have canvas prints at 50% off, and....really? Does poo poo like this boost sales?

Almost certainly not in most cases, but they probably would get fired if they don't say it. It's like the warrantee pushers - you can kind of tell most of them don't want to be pushing them on you so hard, but they probably will get fired if they don't sell enough of them so it's just part of the job.

Peeve I encountered this morning: People who block the tram/bus door open while their friend/spouse/whatever frantically tries to buy a ticket. Just wait for the next one, some of us have to get to work. Especially when the schedules for public transportation in Germany are fairly erratic and the arrival/departure times are more of a guideline than a rule, that extra 30 seconds could mean I miss my next bus and have to wait around for another ten minutes. Sometimes the driver will force the door shut but they usually wait a while before doing that. The worst is when the machine declines their card and they just get on anyway without a ticket. When that happens I start praying that today will be the one of the 2-3 annual random ticket inspections, but they always get away with it.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

There's a small lake near my house with a path going around it and a few picnic areas, so it's a pretty popular spot for joggers and dog walking and general outdoor activities. What drives me positively INSANE is that it doesn't have any trash cans. Not even one. To "discourage littering".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhcKuMjvcCk

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

AlphaKretin posted:

There are a lot of people in this thread that have peeves from the perspective of working at the checkout so this seems like a good place to ask. If I'm just getting one or two things, is it passive-aggressive or otherwise wrong to say "Just this/these thanks"?

If you mean as an answer to the question "Can I get you anything else today," that's perfectly fine.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Motherfucking scouts at grocery store doors. Girl and boys both. No, I don't want your cookies or popcorn balls, I want to get inside and loving shop for real food! Though I have found wearing headphones discourages the kids from asking you if you want to buy something and support the group.

gently caress, I hate being asked to support anything when I check out either. I always want to ask how much of the drat dollar actually goes to the cancer kids or the sick kids or the Make a Wish but the poor cashier wouldn't know and there's no point in holding up the line.

poo poo like warranties and those $2 bullshit items have ridiculous markup and are basically free money for the business.

Like batteries cost a couple cents compared to the $5 you are being charged for. If they can get a few suckers to pay for them then it's a bonus.

A warranty is mostly never used and just free money for the company

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I noticed so much dog poo poo on the way to the park today, like a loving giant pile of turd lying up against a bin with a "no dog fouling" sign on it :argh: there's cameras in the park and you might get caught and fined so I guess people just encourage their dogs to poo poo wildly on the way in

Thanks thread for making me even more hyper aware of dog turds

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Cowslips Warren posted:

As someone who is forced to ask for donations at the checkstand (though only a few weeks out of the year) and thoroughly hates doing so, please just say "no thanks" and move on. My pet peeves are the people who feel the need to explain their refusal lest the cashier think poorly of them ("no, you see, I already donate to SOOO many charities, let me list them..."), get aggressive ("yeah right! I bet it's just a bonus for your CEO!"), or just ignore the question entirely.

The cashier is not going to judge you for saying no, we hate asking just as much as you hate hearing it. Also, fwiw, the chain I work for only uses reputable charities and 100% of the donations go straight to them, though I realize that's not the case for others.

My very (least) favorite experience with asking for donations was a young yuppie couple who spent upwards of $400 on shitloads of expensive artisan vegan foods, supplements etc. I asked them if they would donate to the local food bank and they replied, in all seriousness, that they couldn't because when you donate to a charity that gives out animal food products, the bad karma from those murdered/exploited animals gets put on you. As opposed to, y'know, the GOOD karma from letting people in your neighborhood starve because they have different eating habits than you, I guess?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

walrusman posted:

You pay for garbage pickup? And they can fine you when the lid doesn't close? Why?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The people who bought the apartment building I live in doesn't allow new tenants who own dogs, but allow the people who lived in the building when they bought it to keep their dogs. Their reasoning is that they want the sidewalks around the building to remain clear of turds. The sidewalks around the building are not, in fact, clear of turds.

I'm sure there would have been a huge uproar if dog-owning tenants ended up displaced (there are a LOT of them), so I get why they wouldn't just kick everyone out, but my god. I wish there were some way to impose heavy fines/punishment on the disgusting people who leave their dog's feces everywhere.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

grittyreboot posted:

You pay for garbage pickup? And they can fine you when the lid doesn't close? Why?

Where do you not? I've never not paid some sort of fee either directly to the city (not just "taxes") or to the garbage company.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

It's just taken out of taxes in Louisville.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

cyberia posted:

fake edit - people sniffing around and feeling compelled to comment on my food has also been a driving factor in my decision to only bring salads for my lunches. If I don't have to heat my food up there's no smell for you motherfuckers to comment on :argh:

I completely agree. I buy lots of Knorr soup packets. The kind that you just put in a coffee cup. Every time I make one, people come into my office to tell me it smells good. Every single time.

Just go loving buy your own! They are available at the grocery store.

I should switch to just eating cans of sardines or sprats and pissing everyone off with the horrible smell.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Where do you not? I've never not paid some sort of fee either directly to the city (not just "taxes") or to the garbage company.

I've only had to do that once, when I lived in a smallish town on an island which I guess didn't have a municipal dump (Jamestown, RI). Every other place I've lived just paid for trash pickup out of your taxes.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

grittyreboot posted:

And they can fine you when the lid doesn't close? Why?

The truck that collects the garbage out of them can be damaged if the lid isn't fully closed when they engage the mechanism that lifts the toter. So, they slap a "NOEP" sticker on the can and you have to either wait another week for pickup or call and beg them to loop back around and grab it after you fix it. The fine serves as a deterrent.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Many things about job application forms including potential employers expecting me to print them off at my own expense. What's more annoying about the one I'm dealing with at the moment is that it almost entirely consists of stuff already on my CV but would cost 3 times as much to print except for the fact that I submitted my CV by e-mail. Also, there's too little room in some of the sections and 2 of the pages are irrelevant. And this one is to be brought to the job interview which means that if they don't like what's written there then a more than 2 hour round trip as well as 1/18 of a weeks income will be wasted not including the cost of printing the form off. Oh, and my writing is slow and hurts my hand fairly quickly.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Hey Photoshop, when I save a photo, how about using the original extension as the filetype unless I tell you otherwise. No one uses .psd.

This wouldn't normally bother me, but I'm touching up a mountain of photos and all the prompts when saving are adding 15 seconds to each photo.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Hey Photoshop, when I save a photo, how about using the original extension as the filetype unless I tell you otherwise. No one uses .psd.

This wouldn't normally bother me, but I'm touching up a mountain of photos and all the prompts when saving are adding 15 seconds to each photo.
Just make a macro that flattens the image before saving it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

YeahTubaMike posted:

I wish there were some way to impose heavy fines/punishment on the disgusting people who leave their dog's feces everywhere.

I'm sure they could, they just choose not to because it would be bad publicity. They'd basically have to have some kind of surveillance, or just start outright charging every dog owner a cleanup fee. A good chunk of apartments that allow pets usually add a fee on because they're a pain in the rear end to clean up after when a tenant leaves. I'm sure if they added a "pet cleanup fee" for pet owners that let their animals poo poo everywhere, the issue would go away pretty fast.

Nettles Coterie posted:

As someone who is forced to ask for donations at the checkstand (though only a few weeks out of the year) and thoroughly hates doing so, please just say "no thanks" and move on. My pet peeves are the people who feel the need to explain their refusal lest the cashier think poorly of them ("no, you see, I already donate to SOOO many charities, let me list them..."), get aggressive ("yeah right! I bet it's just a bonus for your CEO!"), or just ignore the question entirely.

For me it's not a charity thing, it's always someone trying to sell a warranty or in-store credit card to me and not taking "no" for an answer. I said no more than once already, someone getting all cutesy with their bullshit "but you can save <x> amount!" or "are you suuuuurrreeee? it doesn't cost anything!" isn't going to make me change my mind. Especially not when I've had poo poo like that in the past where my information got sold and my phone and email got spammed so goddamned much with texts, phone calls, and advertising that I ended up creating a new email and changing my phone number.

Take the hint, accept my answer, let me move on without being irritated or having to consider shopping elsewhere.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Feb 22, 2016

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Death Zebra posted:

Many things about job application forms including potential employers expecting me to print them off at my own expense. What's more annoying about the one I'm dealing with at the moment is that it almost entirely consists of stuff already on my CV but would cost 3 times as much to print except for the fact that I submitted my CV by e-mail. Also, there's too little room in some of the sections and 2 of the pages are irrelevant. And this one is to be brought to the job interview which means that if they don't like what's written there then a more than 2 hour round trip as well as 1/18 of a weeks income will be wasted not including the cost of printing the form off. Oh, and my writing is slow and hurts my hand fairly quickly.

New peeve: People that work out their weekly income in weird, redundant fractions.

Jesus Christ.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Ozz81 posted:

For me it's not a charity thing, it's always someone trying to sell a warranty or in-store credit card to me and not taking "no" for an answer. I said no more than once already, someone getting all cutesy with their bullshit "but you can save <x> amount!" or "are you suuuuurrreeee? it doesn't cost anything!" isn't going to make me change my mind. Especially not when I've had poo poo like that in the past where my information got sold and my phone and email got spammed so goddamned much with texts, phone calls, and advertising that I ended up creating a new email and changing my phone number.

Take the hint, accept my answer, let me move on without being irritated or having to consider shopping elsewhere.

They're not badgering you because they really, really care about the product. They're badgering you because they have a KPI where they have to get a certain number of sign-ups per shift or their boss will chew them out about their poor performance. They know you hate it, they hate it too but it's not the cashier's decision to peddle this poo poo to you and there's absolutely no point getting mad about it. If you really hate it the only effective thing to do would be to send an email to the CEO of the company outlining your grievance with the process.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

cyberia posted:

the only effective thing to do would be to send an email to the CEO of the company outlining your grievance with the process.

If you get any response at all, it will be a form letter saying "thanks for your input" that will definitely omit the sentiment "and thanks for the confirmed valid email address that we will now add to the list of customers' personal info we sell to marketers without the customers' consent or knowledge!"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Adding more to my hotel hating:

Rooms with zero light switches on the wall and 6 lamps. Ok it's dark in here, better walk around and switch on these 6 lamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who don't change the loving toilet paper roll. It's not that loving hard to take the old roll off the holder and put a new roll on. It's so annoying because inevitably I'll sit to have a pee and lo and behold the last person in there used the last of the toilet paper and now I have to either crabwalk to get some or drip dry.