Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mukip posted:

To begin with, I consulted my horoscope and interpreted it to be a good omen when I had twenty seven provinces at the end of the first year.
holy fuckin lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mukip posted:

On turn 40, Jewgame has found it's true Pantokrator. All hail Bloody Mary, Enemy of Darkness; she who has brought light to the world via ceaseless fireballs and flaming crossbow spam.

I'd like to say that I overcame some sort of challenge during this game, but in truth I almost leisurely strolled to victory. To begin with, I consulted my horoscope and interpreted it to be a good omen when I had twenty seven provinces at the end of the first year.

So, apart of taking a Virtue as Pretender, any special hints for doing a good expansion? I suppose you have the strategies of rotating and reinforcing the expansions army to a T.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

27 provinces? Jesus, most I can generally manage vs the AI is like 18-20 depending on how lucky I get. Did you get really good mercs?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Mercenaries had a lot to do with it. I blind expanded on the first turn by combining my pretender and starting force and then kept hiring all the mercs after that to keep my army going while recruiting a second army ASAP. The elephant mercs split off and started capping all by themselves; I think I got 4 provinces in one turn once. I also bumped into two of Vanheims expansion armies and sort-of accidentally destroyed them, letting me snap up a lot of his general area early on. I even hired a merc wizard to just sit in my capital and research, since I could only afford Initiates.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, 27 provinces year 1 is more than just "I had a good expansion phase". It basically has to involve a neighbor suffering an unfortunate accident or having their expansion army crushed.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mukip posted:

Mercenaries had a lot to do with it. I blind expanded on the first turn by combining my pretender and starting force and then kept hiring all the mercs after that to keep my army going while recruiting a second army ASAP. The elephant mercs split off and started capping all by themselves; I think I got 4 provinces in one turn once. I also bumped into two of Vanheims expansion armies and sort-of accidentally destroyed them, letting me snap up a lot of his general area early on. I even hired a merc wizard to just sit in my capital and research, since I could only afford Initiates.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, 27 provinces year 1 is more than just "I had a good expansion phase". It basically has to involve a neighbor suffering an unfortunate accident or having their expansion army crushed.
More like 3 neighbours who are trying to play it cool with each other rather than admit they are getting owned and that Something Must Be Done About Marignon.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

More like 3 neighbours who are trying to play it cool with each other rather than admit they are getting owned and that Something Must Be Done About Marignon.

Even playing on a empty map with just indies, 27 provinces in 12 turns is a good feat.

quote:

2016-02-23 12:59:41 +0100
Caelum flyers eat as humans

/imagines a Eagle King going to McDonalds...

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
The really annoying thing is I had a stack of 50 Sheshai Anakites sitting on that throne three turns earlier, and I put eyes of god up in time to see you had 5 throne points and were next to another T3.

For some stupid reason I assumed you didn't have the forces to take the T3 and started moving my guys to take the throne of summer + hammer through Eriu, meaning I couldn't bring them back in time when I got batted.

If you'd waited another turn or two, I would have had a fort. If I'd prioritised mind-hunt over encht7 (I had so many diseased, starving Anakites and an N9 god...) I could have had a battery of 7 hunters take on your cardinal. Yup, just bad play all round.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't notice before the weapons of the new Abodai. Apart from mind blast and life drain they have "Theft of life": 30 ammo / 50 range / 100 precision ranged magical AoE life drain. That's pretty good, he can skelly spam / cascade spam the first turns and then switch to fire for good effect.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Hi, it's turn 30 in SEO and somehow I'm still just about holding out against the bat onslaught. Also I cast god eyes a while back. You might recall that SEO is the game with all sites exposed from the start, meaning I can now see literally everything in the world.

Gossip:

Xibalba lucked into a free fort on the Throne of the Sun, thanks to the Jervellan wall in #93.
Lanka has Trapped Wind in #157.
Agartha has the Shattered Throne (+30 blood discount) in #179, along with another +10 blood discount site. And a +20 blood discount site in
Lanka has the inverted tower in #150, giving 4 air gems and illusionists.
Ry'leh has a gloom gate and three other gem sites unforted in #176. How appropriate.
Marveni has a magus temple and the throne of Bureaucracy sitting in #77. And a hall of flayed skins in '64. Ooh, scary.
#1 is juicy, giving Agartha moon mages and a total of 5 gems.
Xibalba has steel ovens and the throne of Gaia in #18 (I used to have that ... my precious)
Agartha also has a +20 enchantment discount site in #9
Pangaea has a strange opening. I don't really want to say where.

Graphs:

This is a mess. Agartha are largest. What on earth is with that massive Pangaea spike - tons of stealth raiders?

Agartha has forts. Everywhere.

Agartha rocking up the income, although Pangaea and bats are giving them a decent run for their money.

God knows. Not me, that's for sure.

Somehow Fomoria have managed to overtake the evil that lives under the ocean.

Pan, closely followed by Lanka

What on earth is Lanka eating.

As always, I am more than willing to scry on any enemy province you may want in return for alms or aid against the bat scourge.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 23, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Lanka's eating people and summoning longdead with their priests, I'd wager.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Mukip posted:

I almost forgot to mention that one other player made a vain if spirited attempt at thwarting my ambitions: R'lyeh, of all people, who had been quietly chilling in his pond for the entire game to the best of my knowledge. He sent hordes of madmen to assault several of my throne provinces after Ashdod had been warning everybody in IRC, presenting the only final turn threat-but-not-really:

I managed my research and economy a bit poorly; I pumped ridiculous amounts of gold into PD all across my empire out of paranoid fear of elves, thugs, or worse. I also sacrificed lots of turns of mage recruitment to pay for other things so my research could have been a lot higher.

Yeah, Imprint Soul really isn't great for 25 pearls, but i didn't have many other options. 1 more turn and I would have had Divine Word and could have made my vastnesses start raiding people!

Oh, and it wasn't all mad men, there were some flaggelants in the group too.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Does Dominions ever go on sale on Steam? Been thinking of picking it up and giving it a go.

How is the daily time commitment for turns like? Are 2-hour endgame turns the norm or do most people tend to pack up long before it gets to that point?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yo that Rlyeh mod I made has been updated for the new Rlyeh (which is still not good enough at getting onto land imo).

DOWNLOAD IT HERE HERE IS THE DOWNLOAD

Aboleth hats and projection onto land so you don't have to use your expensive rear end slave mages to drag 25 lobos at a time onto the coast, more coastal recruits, better tridents etc., a spell which makes slaves a bit less likely to run away, those are your excellent features.

New Androleth/-dai are still in there, and the new cap mage has a projection landshape.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 24, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Does Dominions ever go on sale on Steam? Been thinking of picking it up and giving it a go.
For some insane reason they only ever have the last generation of Dominions / CoE on sale.

I'd recommend it at full price but then I have a billion posts in this thread and literally spend my free time doing glorified data entry to make mods downloaded by a few dozen people so I may be the wrong guy to ask.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 24, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jBrereton posted:

For some insane reason they only ever have the last generation of Dominions / CoE on sale.

This isn't true at all and I have seen both titles on sale numerous times. I bought Dom4 50% off and I'm pretty sure I've seen it a 75% off.

e: on Steam that is.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Looks like it's actually just come off sale, and had two sales this year already.

Stick it on your wishlist.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Oh how wrong I was.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Z the IVth posted:

How is the daily time commitment for turns like? Are 2-hour endgame turns the norm or do most people tend to pack up long before it gets to that point?

2 Hour turns will happen regularly only if you want to win (not recommended imo). For a long time you won't have nearly enough stuff to necessitate that.

It's also manageable to a large degree, as certain nations and play styles inherently require a lot more/less time anyway. Blood magic, for example, takes a lot of work. Freespawn management is for crazy people. Communions can be a hassle but not as much as either of those. If you aren't winning games and aren't using blood/freespawn/communions your turn times will never get out of control.

Basically if you play in a noob pool and pick a simple nation like Ermor (not MA), Jomon, Ulm, or other nations who can make a simple strategy of "build lots of fighting mans and attack, maybe involve some mages" you shouldn't be getting into crazy turn times (rarely beyond 30 minutes I'd say). Then once you get comfortable with the game and also hate yourself you can try to blood magic your way to victory.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 24, 2016

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

Post a link to your steam and I'll give it to you. I bought two gift copies for the same friend in two different 75% off sales and I don't know anyone who wants a grog-fantasy game.

Endgame turns take as long as you spend on diplomacy honestly. Unless you are trying to be really clever with your scripting, the number one timesink of any game is making friends and making plans. At most points in the game I have 2-4 scripts bound to 7-0 and maybe a few guys set to cast battlefield enchantments. Planning and communicating takes more time than executing. If you want examples you can watch NuclearMonkee's videos; he's an unusually fast player on the hotkeys and organization front, but he's also talking through his actions and he still gets turns done in like a half an hour.

jBrereton posted:

Yo that Rlyeh mod I made has been updated for the new Rlyeh (which is still not good enough at getting onto land imo.

DOWNLOAD IT HERE HERE IS THE DOWNLOAD

Aboleth hats and projection onto land so you don't have to use your expensive rear end slave mages to drag 25 lobos at a time onto the coast, more coastal recruits, better tridents etc., a spell which makes slaves a bit less likely to run away, those are your excellent features.

You know it would be super cool to use #expshape for the freespawn and the lesser aboleths, make it so they actually do the "never aging simply growing larger and stronger" thing. Maybe make a second free unit that gets a lovely mindblast and slightly more HP and let the aboleths become psuedo-mindlords.

I am also Rlyeh disappointed in the update, no actual solutions to the problems of the nation but plenty of fiddly changes that don't help them get on land, fight in the ocean (freespawn difficult to move troops with immobile commanders in ANY PROVINCE), or even forge amulets of the loving fish. Are the developers just unwilling to admit that the nation could be salvaged by making all the aboleth amphibians? As an added bonus it would make them more like the DnD monster they are copied from.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I haven't played in a bit but most games tend to last 2 weeks to a month or so.

At first everyone should be getting 1-2 turns in a day, with about 10-20 minutes per turn, probably less if you don't have too much to manage.

Once it hits mid/end game then you are looking at 1-3 hour turns at once per day. There is a lot of fiddley crap in the game that could be automated or overhauled. Learning how to copy scripts saves you a lot of time.

It is a fun game but has an incredibly sharp learning curve. Most of us are terrible though so it all equals out.

Buyer beware

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
xpshape is certainly pretty cool (hell, I use it in the Don't Dismysia Abysia mod), but I'm a little hesitant to use it with EA Rlyeh for a couple (2) of reasons:

1) I would have to redo the entire freespawn/giboleth lineup in terms of monster numbers because illwinter put them in wildly conflicting places. If I used xpshape with polypal spawn today, they would (excellently) turn into Buer the Goat Sun, one of the summonable Demon Lords, who autocasts heat from hell in battle. Also he's unique so I'm pretty sure the polypal spawn getting XP would just sequentially die and turn into this gnarly goat dude with extremely good fire, death and blood magic (but who'd need to be re-GoR'd again every time a polypal spawn grew up to get the most out of him).

2) Each turn is like a month and there's apparently hundreds of years between them being small and then Aboleths. On the other hand, this is pointless mechanically (none of them will ever die of old age, ever), and I don't care about it, so yeah.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If your plan isn't to be down to your cap by year3 and taking 5 minute turns you are loving up.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I legit don't think my turns ever passed the half hour mark so it really depends how much effort you are willing to give (gently caress scripting, I'm not gonna micro my hundreds of mages).

e: I did script but only if I was expecting a battle next turn and most of my scripting was pressing the hotkey I bound horde of skeletons or maws of the earth to and poo poo like that.

Absum fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 24, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is there a 'poor amphibian' tag but for normally aquatic units that suck more when on land? if not, there should be one and the aboleths could use that. i imagine they'd have poo poo all for movement on land, but that doesn't matter as much as long as they can, you know, actually get on land.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

is there a 'poor amphibian' tag but for normally aquatic units that suck more when on land? if not, there should be one and the aboleths could use that. i imagine they'd have poo poo all for movement on land, but that doesn't matter as much as long as they can, you know, actually get on land.
Nope, you have to manually set #landshapes with worse stats. It's totally doable, though.

If you wanted to just boringly hamstring aboleths you'd give them a landshape with #mapmove 1 and #ap 4 on land.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Absum posted:

I legit don't think my turns ever passed the half hour mark so it really depends how much effort you are willing to give (gently caress scripting, I'm not gonna micro my hundreds of mages).

This is a good philosophy. My usual game goal is to crush at least two other players with my big scales armies I like building and then to be obliterated afterwards in a storm of someone else's big gay magic. I just find the high level magic poo poo tedious and not half as interesting as the strategy element so I'll probably never win a game but I'll get some good fights and storm some caps!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jBrereton posted:

Nope, you have to manually set #landshapes with worse stats. It's totally doable, though.

If you wanted to just boringly hamstring aboleths you'd give them a landshape with #mapmove 1 and #ap 4 on land.

the fact that there isn't a tag for that is loving stupid

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

the fact that there isn't a tag for that is loving stupid
It's an annoying niggle, but it's nothing like as much of a ballache for modders as underwater nations being hardcoded to not be able to recruit national units outside of the sea/coast/certain specific terrain types, and only being allowed to recruit a maximum of 2 commander types and 3 unit types on the coast.

Also, apparently no possible mechanic to allow mass air breathing.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

jBrereton posted:

It's an annoying niggle, but it's nothing like as much of a ballache for modders as underwater nations being hardcoded to not be able to recruit national units outside of the sea/coast/certain specific terrain types, and only being allowed to recruit a maximum of 2 commander types and 3 unit types on the coast.

Also, apparently no possible mechanic to allow mass air breathing.

The no mass air breathing thing is the dumbest poo poo. Maybe it is or was important so the one water nation with good recruit anywhere sacred cav can't rush anyone unlucky enough to end up with a coastal capital, but otherwise it only makes units useless arbitrarily.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They got no legs.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
At this point I'm 99% sure it's hardcoded into the game itself from like 10 years ago, because people keep asking for it, and it's not like there isn't hot poo poo sacred cav on land. See also the lack of land recruitment by UW nations and the oddly specific limits on coastal and underwater recruitment.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

jBrereton posted:

At this point I'm 99% sure it's hardcoded into the game itself from like 10 years ago, because people keep asking for it, and it's not like there isn't hot poo poo sacred cav on land. See also the lack of land recruitment by UW nations and the oddly specific limits on coastal and underwater recruitment.

This is the probably the real answer, but I like to picture it as a bad design decision.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

akulanization posted:

If you want examples you can watch NuclearMonkee's videos; he's an unusually fast player on the hotkeys and organization front, but he's also talking through his actions and he still gets turns done in like a half an hour.

MONKEE STILL POSITIONS TROOPS WITH HIS MOUSE IT IS hosed UP

Chomp8645 posted:

I just find the high level magic poo poo tedious and not half as interesting as the strategy element so I'll probably never win a game but I'll get some good fights and storm some caps!

mash recruit a bunch and then play whack-a-mole is strategy but actually using the main interesting and unique thing about the game isn't???

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

akulanization posted:

Post a link to your steam and I'll give it to you. I bought two gift copies for the same friend in two different 75% off sales and I don't know anyone who wants a grog-fantasy game.

Thanks for the offer! REDACTED. Is this what you need?

I can Paypal you the cost - 75% off makes the price more than acceptable. Alternatively I can gift you something of equivalent value in return?

Edit: I've seen the monkee videos, that's what kinda got me interested in trying this out for real. I loved the old Gabriel Pope LP but screenshots can be really intimidating.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 25, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The Gabriel Pope LP is what made me buy the game but I think all of the screenshots are broken now I think.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

MONKEE STILL POSITIONS TROOPS WITH HIS MOUSE IT IS hosed UP

Click click motherfucker.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Just lol if you use your mouse at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Why would you not position troops with your mouse? Gotta work that sick micro.

Never not individually position 50 mages

• Locked thread