Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
have you taken it to a genius bar? maybe they could help.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao i dont live in the same countery as one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
uhg might be hardware

this hunk of junk is gettinG HOOOTTTTTTT as gently caress to touch

turn on yur fan you piece of poo poo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mishaq posted:

echi is too stupid to use osx lol
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah its my fault

peice of poo poo has to go to the shop. typical; breaks down on a friday. now i might have to buy another computer to deal with this ones incompetance

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
did you ever find out what kext was causing the kernel panic, or did you really think the words "kext panic" and your version of os x was specific enough for you to get "heaps o hits" on your specific problem

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
look, i didnt know how to deal, and in recovery mode it suggest apple call me. so i let them. the dude told me to flatten and reinstall. the kext poo poo was irrelevant frankly

anyway, i am now thinking, I get something like a micorsoft surface for the simulation, and then consider keeping the mac book air pro top and dont try to do antyhing fancy and hope it doesnt gently caress out

anyway, regardless of what was causing the issue, it SHOULD be able to internet recover. the fact that it cant points to some hardware poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
according to the software guys windows 10 is a NO GO so finding something still running w8 is gonna be the biggest challenge. well at least isntalling w8 onto a computer is something I can actually do from the comfort of my own home

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
did you run the hardware tests because it legit sounds like your hw is hosed up

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

a poor craftsman blames his tools echindapesdi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ahmeni posted:

did you run the hardware tests because it legit sounds like your hw is hosed up

welp bros i know gently caress all about osx but have basic expectations of what it shuld be able to do and it was fucknig up. the fact that internet recovery even exists is fuckin amazing but it doesnt work so mayube it really is the hardware

which sucks. but well.. if its not, i guess the dick at the shop will tell me monday or whenever they et around to fixing it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

take your lappy to the finest authorized service centre in auckland

the largest city and economic centre of new zealand

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I don't understand how you can blame tim for intel's failings. They're working with the best they can but no one else can live up to their end of the bargain

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tim personally oversaw the manufacture of those particular laptop, and gave it the "all clear"

sleeping on the job again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"it's all g" he said

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but it wasn't "all g", it wasn't "all g" at all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fukin hopeless shop

might be thurs before I get it back. fuckkn close to the wire for getting it back, installing w8 and tryna get this mannequin software to work. the guy was so unempathetic

never mind that apple support had called te place for me but he was like "I didn't get a call"

Jesus what a Mickey Mouse operation.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turns out it's the mobo. fuckers thinking it was my fault it wasn't working correctly

only now they have to fix it and I will almost certainly need to buy another computer for in the mean time

and boy have we been let down by iCloud

all the poo poo that's saved in iCloud is much olde than was on laptop. my wife used the notes app extensively but none of it saved to the cloud. some stuff did but it's all old as gently caress

making sure I use drop box next time instead
of relying on a system which doesn't work correctly

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
yea apple needs to up their game

whenever i get to work and hook up my macbook to my thunderbolts, theres usually a bunch of windows that hang out "off screen". is there a way to make them all go onscreen or back to where they originally were instead of having to drag a billion windows that are only 20 pixels onscreem

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

trying to add a static route to force LAN traffic to go over VPN

code:
sudo route add 10.0.0.1/24  -inteface $1
I get an error:

"route: writing to routing socket: Invalid argument
Add net 10.0.0.1: Invalid argument"

this is a problem only on this machine, other machines work fine

I do not have the option of throwing this Mac in the garbage and getting a Windows. What gives

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

echinopsis posted:

turns out it's the mobo. fuckers thinking it was my fault it wasn't working correctly

only now they have to fix it and I will almost certainly need to buy another computer for in the mean time

and boy have we been let down by iCloud

all the poo poo that's saved in iCloud is much olde than was on laptop. my wife used the notes app extensively but none of it saved to the cloud. some stuff did but it's all old as gently caress

making sure I use drop box next time instead
of relying on a system which doesn't work correctly

save your notes to gmail instead

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

trying to add a static route to force LAN traffic to go over VPN

code:
sudo route add 10.0.0.1/24  -inteface $1
I get an error:

"route: writing to routing socket: Invalid argument
Add net 10.0.0.1: Invalid argument"

this is a problem only on this machine, other machines work fine

I do not have the option of throwing this Mac in the garbage and getting a Windows. What gives
first of all, there is an r in interface
second of all, why is the network 10.0.0.1/24 and not 10.0.0.0/24
what exactly are you trying to do

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

anthonypants posted:

first of all, there is an r in interface
second of all, why is the network 10.0.0.1/24 and not 10.0.0.0/24
what exactly are you trying to do

I'm trying to get it so that when the user is off site and VPN in, and try to access local subnet, they use the VPN gateway.

doesn't 10.0.0.1/24 get interpreted the same way anyway

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I'm trying to get it so that when the user is off site and VPN in, and try to access local subnet, they use the VPN gateway.

doesn't 10.0.0.1/24 get interpreted the same way anyway
i don't know how it gets interpreted but wouldn't that be route add -net 10.0.0.0/24 -interface ppp0, or whatever the vpn interface is

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

anthonypants posted:

i don't know how it gets interpreted but wouldn't that be route add -net 10.0.0.0/24 -interface ppp0, or whatever the vpn interface is

$1 is supposed to = ppp0 but in any event it's saying the -net value is bad. I also tried adding -host with a specific host, no good.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

$1 is supposed to = ppp0 but in any event it's saying the -net value is bad. I also tried adding -host with a specific host, no good.
"Add net 10.0.0.1: Invalid argument" doesn't sound like the value is bad, did you try putting a hyphen in there before the net

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

let me try pls hold

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

maybe I get the error because I'm not actually connectedd to vpn at the time so the interface doesn't exist??

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

maybe I get the error because I'm not actually connectedd to vpn at the time so the interface doesn't exist??
only one way to find out

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764714

hey i care about phone encryption and court orders too and there's already https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764714 a thread for it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764714

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
ok

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

this is typically the case
depending on the implementation it pops up as another eth# or ppp# or tun#

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so I need to have a motherboard driver to install windows on this computer but I am not sure where to put the drivers, as when it acts to browse to the location, it doesn't actually expose the usb drive, just some premature windows thing called boot

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

echinopsis posted:

so I need to have a motherboard driver to install windows on this computer but I am not sure where to put the drivers, as when it acts to browse to the location, it doesn't actually expose the usb drive, just some premature windows thing called boot

regretting your decision already?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i literally had to buy another computer because its taking another 2 from now just to get the parts to fix the mac air let alone when they fix it and get it to me

i need a windows machine by sat

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

i literally had to buy another computer because its taking another 2 from now just to get the parts to fix the mac air let alone when they fix it and get it to me

i need a windows machine by sat
then stop breaking them!!!!!!

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I'm sorry modern day computing has failed you i hope it works out in the end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and I'm having to download Windows 10 just because I can't find any way to load the moterboard drivers during w7 install

I not worried though this computer will NEVER see the Internet hopefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

echinopsis posted:

im not sure what is available in nz but if you buy from dell/hp/lenovo/panasonic they will include windows install media with the right drivers for the computer. if this is a custom build you can customize your windows installer with the needed drivers for windows 7/8 by slipstreaming them in. for windows 10 you can do this with sccm or you can use shady software like winreducer. what windows installer are you using now?