Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

You lost a transport. To a 75mm mountain gun. That can't happen very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
The shells are coming from inside the ship!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Bataan looks about settled good work

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of ill-advised shock attacks, it looks like you'll be forced to launch another one yourself as soon as that beat-up looking counter arrives in Singapore.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

At least half the army won't be disrupted? since it's been sitting there digging trenches at the allies or whatever they do all day when not attacking.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dead engineers, but not Engineers.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Is there any advantage at putting multiple carriers in a task force besides less clicks? I just got the game and during my time in the Guadalcanal campaign I've noticed when my carriers are being attacked (each in it's own seperate group) only one carrier is being attacked per raid. Meanwhile my own raid has all 3 Japanese carriers targeted.

If there are advantages, do the stacking limits occur for carriers in the same hex or task force?

Also just to make sure, any unit where the Attached to is not clickable is in a restricted command right? I'm following ZombieLenin's link and it brings up air units in Restricted commands.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Is the Hermes in the theater yet, or do the Dutch naturally have large numbers of british designed aircraft? :v:

Either way, RIP the Dutch airforce. One Allied airforce down, 5 more to go.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A White Guy posted:

Is the Hermes in the theater yet, or do the Dutch naturally have large numbers of british designed aircraft? :v:

Either way, RIP the Dutch airforce. One Allied airforce down, 5 more to go.

The Dutch Air Force didn't have much in the way of indigenous designs for aircraft, in part because of the limited production capability they had and a small budget for their military. They should mostly get Buffalos built to their own specifications, as well as the usual mish-mash of stuff we've seen.

And the Hermes is already in the theater, it starts at Trincomalee with some system damage.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dreamsicle posted:

Is there any advantage at putting multiple carriers in a task force besides less clicks? I just got the game and during my time in the Guadalcanal campaign I've noticed when my carriers are being attacked (each in it's own seperate group) only one carrier is being attacked per raid. Meanwhile my own raid has all 3 Japanese carriers targeted.

If there are advantages, do the stacking limits occur for carriers in the same hex or task force?

Also just to make sure, any unit where the Attached to is not clickable is in a restricted command right? I'm following ZombieLenin's link and it brings up air units in Restricted commands.

It also allows for stacking of AA/bomb magnets (Battleships) as well as merging your attack ranges. It maybe also lets your fleet air wings group up rather than coming in one at a time, which, unlike happened at Midway, doesn't exhaust their CAP like a massed stroke does.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The first is a dud, the second one is not.

I have no idea what this one ship is doing near Iwo-Jima, but its not there now.

Wait. Are they launching an invasion even I would call half assed?

I need AA here.

Woo, a nice large cruiser.

We hit her again. Shame she's in port and will most likely survive this.

That's another base taken.

The British counter attack at Singapore once more, we come out ahead, but only just.

The forts are gone, the end of Bataan is nigh.

The southern cleanup begins.

A huge number of Chinese soldiers surrender at Amoy.

Another brutal day of fighting. But the pace is picking up – the mass surrender at Bataan will happen soon, and that will free up so many troops to sweep south – I've also finally remembered to send minesweepers to clear Manilla and Clark Field! Go me!

I still have no idea why they decided to go near Iwo-Jima. British ships all the way out there? What kind of idiot is running these guys.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

That's a lot of bombs for the Houston. I doubt it's gonna be doing much for a while.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Needs a new main gun turret. That can't be easy to replace.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I'm getting real nervous about your impending shock attack in Singapore. I'm I worrying over nothing?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

I still have no idea why they decided to go near Iwo-Jima. British ships all the way out there? What kind of idiot is running these guys.

You're doing a PBEM against yourself, aren't you?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Doesn't Grey have more soldiers coming?

I also have another question about the game.

I'm following ZombieLenin's link to prepare for the Grand Campaign and the only problem I have is his Malaya plan as it involves defending Singapore. I was thinking of abandoning it completely and move the soldiers to Australia or Port Moresby for future counteroffensives. Is this just impossible due to the attached commands of the units?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Dreamsicle posted:

I'm assuming planes from multiple carrier task forces won't coordinate their strikes? I don't know this for sure, though.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Dreamsicle posted:

Doesn't Grey have more soldiers coming?

I also have another question about the game.

I'm following ZombieLenin's link to prepare for the Grand Campaign and the only problem I have is his Malaya plan as it involves defending Singapore. I was thinking of abandoning it completely and move the soldiers to Australia or Port Moresby for future counteroffensives. Is this just impossible due to the attached commands of the units?

It's really hard for two reasons. First most of those units are restricted and you just don't have the PP necessary to get them all out. Second, there is a very, very narrow window where anything shipping wise can get in and out of Singapore without getting just curb stomped by Japanese aircraft.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah, you will find moving any troops around via ship anywhere in that area to be a deadly proposition. Bettys have a very long range, and at that point in the war you don't have any aircraft with which to stop them.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

pthighs posted:

Yeah, you will find moving any troops around via ship anywhere in that area to be a deadly proposition. Bettys have a very long range, and at that point in the war you don't have any aircraft with which to stop them.

I pretty much evacuate everything from Singapore, like Manilla, on turn 1. The only exception is shipping I will use to evacuate the two Australian brigades.

I also, unlike in that guide I posted, evacuate most of the air groups as soon as possible.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 23, 2016

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Arbite posted:

Yeah I'm getting real nervous about your impending shock attack in Singapore. I'm I worrying over nothing?

You're probably worried over nothing. He gained control of the hex side that crosses the river when that first shock attack happened. From what I recall, auto shock attacks only happen when you cross a river hex side controlled by an enemy, so those reinforcements shouldn't trigger another when they cross the river into a friendly bridgehead.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I hope that's the case. I remember in one of his island landings in the allied campaign, he was landing a second wave of troops to support his undersized but still-present initial invasion, and he was still forced to do the atoll shock attack.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

ZombieLenin posted:

I pretty much evacuate everything from Singapore, like Manilla, on turn 1. The only exception is shipping I will use to evacuate the two Australian brigades.

Yes, those Aussie brigades are the only thing worth trying to save from Malaysia. They are great combat units that can make a big difference in Burma or Port Moresby.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey Grey Hunter, can you occasionally show us this screen?

This one is taken from Soros' LP. I think it's interesting to see how the air combat breaks down by plane, the same way you tend to show us the ship casualties screens when ships go down.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
A quick point that I can't remember if the guide I linked covered: any land unit with an asterisk next to it means that this is a subunit of a larger unit. If you get all of units in its organizational structure back together on the same text you can reform that unit.

You can check which units belong to each other by clicking on "show organizational something or other." As a general rule, you want to recombine these when possible as the reformed unit has significantly higher combat values than its parts.

So at the beginning of the game in Malaya you'll notice a bunch of units with an "*". You will want to evacuate the Aussies and reform them with their other subunits elsewhere for use in Burma or Port Moresby; however, there are subunits from two complete divisions in Malaya. Retreat South, get them together, then reform them.

Similarly in the Philippines you can reform the constabulary division. You should do that.

Also a couple of other things that I forgot picking this game back up after 4 years.

1. Don't neglect preparation: specifically changing it! You want the units you move south in Malaya to prepare to defend Singapore and Jarha Bahru depending on the hex they will defend.

2. If you change a cargo convoy to computer control, then click again, you'll change it to auto convoy.

That's as far as my spontaneous advice goes.

Edit

1b. Rest and Training mode is your friend. Unless you expect combat in the next turn or two this mode will save you on supplies and speed up troop preparation.

3. Consider using bombs on your US Torpedo bombers. These bombers torpedoes have a 50% dud rate until 1943.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 23, 2016

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ZombieLenin posted:

Jarha Bahru

It's Johor (or Johore, but not really). I wouldn't mention this if I haven't spent there the other week.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Private Speech posted:

It's Johor (or Johore, but not really). I wouldn't mention this if I haven't spent there the other week.

I knew I was probably spelling it wrong because my only frame of reference for the place is the game.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

3. Consider using bombs on your US Torpedo bombers. These bombers torpedoes have a 50% dud rate until 1943.

Can the torpedo bombers use the 1000 pound SAP bombs the Dauntless' use? In the Guadalcanal campaign my Avengers with bombs have 500 pound GP bombs which won't be that effective vs CA's and BB's. Are there bigger bombs for my carriers as well? In my attacks on two Kongo class ships the only messages I got were "Deck Armor hit" on bomb impact.

Secondly what does Quiet China do? I ran a test run for for the first two days and the Japanese ran some air attacks.

Finally how bad of an idea is it to set sub patrols to computer control? I did that for the Philippines sub fleet in that test run.

EDIT: Also do I have to set a future objective for attacking an adjacent hex? I plan on attacking Tassafronga (sp) once I build Lunga up enough.

EDIT 2: Ok I thought USN damage control was good, but my ship starting at around 65 flood damage (40 major) accumulated flood damage and sunk 2 hexes away from the nearest port. What measures can I take to prevent this?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 24, 2016

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Hey Grey Hunter, can you occasionally show us this screen?

This one is taken from Soros' LP. I think it's interesting to see how the air combat breaks down by plane, the same way you tend to show us the ship casualties screens when ships go down.

Please don't post screenshots from Saros's LP(or mine) in this thread - we both read this one, and I'm sure Saros would agree that we'd rather not see the opponent's information, as it could potentially give one of us an unfair advantage.

Edit: In the interest of fairness, here's my report from the same day. You can see how each player's information differs due to the fog of war.

paradigmblue fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 24, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Dreamsicle posted:

Can the torpedo bombers use the 1000 pound SAP bombs the Dauntless' use? In the Guadalcanal campaign my Avengers with bombs have 500 pound GP bombs which won't be that effective vs CA's and BB's. Are there bigger bombs for my carriers as well? In my attacks on two Kongo class ships the only messages I got were "Deck Armor hit" on bomb impact.

That's a good question I do not know the answer to. I can tell you that "--- armor hit" means what you think--a no penetration hit.

quote:

Secondly what does Quiet China do? I ran a test run for for the first two days and the Japanese ran some air attacks.

It make the AI ignore China for the most part, though it does not eliminate activity in China altogether. To be honest though, I've always felt like you can cruise control China regardless against the AI. That said, I've never ran the mod, maybe it's worth it.

quote:

Finally how bad of an idea is it to set sub patrols to computer control? I did that for the Philippines sub fleet in that test run.

Meh. I personally want fine control over my subs. If you feel lazy use the "patrol around target" button, which is in the TF routing screen, under "set patrol zone." At a very minimum you need to be cognizant of the fact that sooner or later Manilla will fall. So you are going to want to change the home ports of all those sub TFs.

quote:

EDIT: Also do I have to set a future objective for attacking an adjacent hex? I plan on attacking Tassafronga (sp) once I build Lunga up enough.

First, you don't actually have to prepare at all. You just get a penalty for not preparing. This might mean preparing for one bed over if it's going to be a major undertaking attacking that hex.

quote:

EDIT 2: Ok I thought USN damage control was good, but my ship starting at around 65 flood damage (40 major) accumulated flood damage and sunk 2 hexes away from the nearest port. What measures can I take to prevent this?

Don't get bombed or torpedoed. 65 flood/floatation damage is huge. I like to think of it as a percentage. At 65% flood damage I think of like a ship has 65% of the hull compromization need to sink her. So if you're limping back to port pray the weather doesn't turn bad, or you don't get unlucky on a roll.

Now there are repair ships (AR) that you can build support task forces out of, but I have no idea if they can actually be used at sea to help in situations like this. Someone more experienced can comment, because I'd like to know too.

Edit

It should also be pointed out that if said ship had any systems damage, and any of that systems damage was applied to your damage control teams, the Allied DC advantage is totally negates (and then some).

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 24, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We sink two small ships fleeing Singapore.

I have to hope that I'm doing a decent job at blockading Port Moresby.

The Kido Butai finds another small target.

The British once more try and force us back from Singapore.

We hit Bataan again.

Then the assault proper goes in. The enemy can't do anything to stop me, and they surrender in their masses.

It looks like Sinyang is going to be another major battle in this war.

The War in the Philippines is all but over. The losses at Bataan are massive - we see a 556 point swing in our direction. The base itself is not worth much, but 17 destroyed units do! I'm going to rest the troops at Bataan for a few days while I move up ships and try and clear the mines near them.

It looks like our minesweepers arrived a day early. They are much quicker than I thought!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Always fun to see 15k troops with an AV of 32

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
14 inch CD guns. That's a hell of a boom for a dinky minesweeper.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

goatface posted:

14 inch CD guns. That's a hell of a boom for a dinky minesweeper.

That's this duder, yeah?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Almost certainly. I doubt there's any other places with CD that big. I think batteries at Hong Kong and Singapore topped out at about 10".

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

We hit her again. Shame she's in port and will most likely survive this.

Tenfold bombs strike true
Pierside devils intervene
Death knell rings unheard.

:black101:

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

goatface posted:

I think batteries at Hong Kong and Singapore topped out at about 10".

Singapore had four 15in guns, but Hong Kong never had anything more than a 9.2in iirc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

paradigmblue posted:

Please don't post screenshots from Saros's LP(or mine) in this thread - we both read this one, and I'm sure Saros would agree that we'd rather not see the opponent's information, as it could potentially give one of us an unfair advantage.

Edit: In the interest of fairness, here's my report from the same day. You can see how each player's information differs due to the fog of war.

Oh, poo poo. I didn't even think of that. Welp. I hope I didn't give away too much information. Very very sorry. :negative:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I hope you feel good about dooming thousands of pixelmen to their deaths with your OpSec breach :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Congratulations on taking Bataan Grey. Hopefully those men's trip to the POW camp goes a lot more smoothly than RL.