Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
He needs someone to take care of him in his dotage bury him when they are old enough to grasp a shovel or shortly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I am starting to envy that lucky bastard. Sure his home was razed, but he managed to marry a woman who is among the 6% prettiest in all of China and togeter they earn enough to make become rich again. When I read that thread title I expected more depressing lifes. Maybe goons are just that great at making good life decisions. Have a baby.

By the way. This is a little nitpicky, but technically the name of the Chinese currency is "renminbi" ("the peoples currency"). Yuan is the name of the unit in which you measure renminbi. It's kinda weird.
But looking at the first update, the game seems to make the same mistake.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Keep the baby

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Have the baby. He's an alcoholic chain-smoking middle-aged man. It's high time he secure his legacy, don'tcha think?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Of course the goon doesn't lose his virginity until age 42

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Namtab posted:

Of course the goon doesn't lose his virginity until age 42

This reminds me, there is a distinct lack of computers as a household electronic item. (Or shitposting as an activity.) I suppose this doesn't come up for a large part of the world, though.

Does the television and radio change anything about Yu and events he can encounter, anyway? Or are they just there for prestige?

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Air is lava! posted:

When I read that thread title I expected more depressing lifes.
If you have no concept of right and wrong, get born in a developed country, and don't expect much out of life, you can make it okay. Not everyone is that lucky.

e: Also it'll be a miracle if Yu makes it to 60, which may or may not be depressing to you. It's safe to assume with those Health and Resistance scores he's not feeling fantastic most days.

Aithon posted:

Does the television and radio change anything about Yu and events he can encounter, anyway? Or are they just there for prestige?
I know the "Television Viewing" leisure activity changes when you don't have a television (I think radios make it Listening to the Radio, not certain). I don't know if that alters the effect it has on the character.

gbuchold fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 23, 2016

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Its baby making time

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Re: Dollar name joke: Her name is Yuan, which might share its character with the character for money. Her name is very appropriate. :eng101:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Air is lava! posted:

By the way. This is a little nitpicky, but technically the name of the Chinese currency is "renminbi" ("the peoples currency"). Yuan is the name of the unit in which you measure renminbi. It's kinda weird.

So it would be more proper to say, for instance, '1000 yuan of renminbi', the way you say '1/4 cup of milk'?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Oh man, I remember this game! The best I ever did was someone who managed to move to America and live there as I think a maid. She didn't even get murdered or starve to death!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yuan, you can do so much better :smith:

No kids, why drain finances that are necessary for booze and smokes?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I support having a kid.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I suppose the nearest Western equivalent would be Pounds Sterling.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

That's exactly right. "Renminbi" means "The people's currency", while "yuan" is the primary unit. We don't notice in the United States because the primary unit of the US dollar is the dollar. But just like you don't insist on paying "20 pounds sterling" for a video game, you would just say you paid X amount of yuan.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
The life of Hang Yu, part thirteen

Age 44

Yu's child is born, a beautiful baby girl :3: Much like himself, she is born to rather old parents and likely to be an only child. Unlike Yu, her family is quite wealthy and born with all the privileges that come from growing up in a large city rather than a mining village without proper sanitation.

(And since the question came up in the thread: No, the game does not simulate voluntary infanticide)

Since I didn't want to call another vote so soon, I decided to name her Xiao-Xia because I thought it sounded kinda cute :3: I tried to do a quick Google search to find out if it means anything, but I mostly got kabbalah sites and the like, so anyone with knowledge of Chinese names, please fill me in!

Hey, it's been a while since we got one of these! Many of these trivia popups are triggered by life events in game, which makes sense.

Age 45

If you think Yu becoming a father turned him into a bleeding heart, you're wrong though :colbert:

Xiao-Xia is a healthy baby, and his father's pride and joy. Yu spoils her to no end, being most comfortable with expressing affection through money. His and Yuan's income is enough to cope with the expenses of raising a child without having to make any cutbacks.

Age 46

:fuckoff:

Age 47

Yu isn't quite ready to give up the booze quite yet though, since drinking potential customers under the table is a major part of his sales process.

Huh, it seems poisoning toddlers is a family tradition? Or maybe Yu just confused the baby's bottle with his own.

Age 48

The pressures of being responsible for a child turns Yu back to his old methods of stress release. Hopefully Xiao-Xia is still too young to realise what her father is doing to himself :smith:

Age 49

Little of interest happens.

Age 50

They grow up so quickly, don't they?

Age 51

Chain smoking for 36 years straight and living in the Beijing smog has finally taken its toll on Yu.

An alcoholic, chain smoking, drug addicted cancer patient. At least his wife and child are in good health.

Age 52

Fighting erupts again, but Yu and his family has other things on their mind.

Age 53

The struggle with cancer seems to have changed something within Yu, and he gives up drinking entirely.

Age 54

Surviving longer than any of his doctors would have expected, he even makes an attempt to quit smoking.

...but it turns out some habits die harder than others.

Age 55

Knowing he hasn't got much time left, Yu takes the last opportunity to provide for his family once he is gone.

Even his lungs slowly filling up with fluid doesn't prevent Yu from pulling off the greatest heist of his lifetime.

Age 56 - 57

Yu clings on to life, despite being mostly bedridden.

Age 58

Another famine strikes.

But at this point, Yu is barely able to follow the news.

Age 59

Yu passes away peacefully surrounded by his family, after struggling with cancer for eight years. In his last moments he feels no regret over the life he lived, but rather frustration that his good run ended so soon. Even so, he dies with a slight smile on his face.

Final stats:

In the end, there was some small shred of humanity left in him :unsmith:

His daughter seems to have picked up some of his bad habits, but hopefully she can still do great things in her future.

The end.

I'll leave it up to you guys to compose a fitting eulogy for our friend, Hang Yu. Also, if any of you artistically minded goons are up for creating a rendition of Yu (at any stage of his life) for the thread's table of contents, that would be swell!

As for the future of this LP: I'll run at least one more random life in the same format as I did with Hang Yu, with frequent thread votes. I got to show off most mechanics this run, with the main exception of emigrating to a different country. After that, I'll do a few quicker runs (maybe 3-5 updates tops) where the thread gets to vote for a general personality description I'll use as a guideline, and probably show off the option to manually generate a character as well. At some point, I'll also open up the thread for you guys to show off your own runs of the game, or any other edition off it. I suppose that will go on until I or you guys get bored with this game, whichever happens first.

The next life will start some time tomorrow or the day after that!

Covski fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 24, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Man, that came to an end a decade or two shorter than I expected. Then again, we can't all be Mick Jagger.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

What a terrible end. despite our best efforts he managed to die wealthy and surrounded by people who loved him. He even managed to get rid of most of his vices and kept a shred of his humanity.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can't believe that Conscience stat. When you called it a "shred" you weren't kidding.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
His tombstone will read: 'Told you College is for smelly nerds and losers.'

A flock of angels sing thee to thy rest, gentle goon. :unsmith:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Air is lava! posted:

I am starting to envy that lucky bastard. Sure his home was razed, but he managed to marry a woman who is among the 6% prettiest in all of China and togeter they earn enough to make become rich again. When I read that thread title I expected more depressing lifes. Maybe goons are just that great at making good life decisions.

Don't you worry, we'll have plenty of miserable lives yet! Remember, China is after all a comparatively rich and pleasant country!

Aithon posted:

This reminds me, there is a distinct lack of computers as a household electronic item. (Or shitposting as an activity.) I suppose this doesn't come up for a large part of the world, though.

Yeah, the conspicuous absence of computers is interesting to me, too. The earliest edition of the game that I know of came out in 2004, which seems a bit late for computers to be considered a total luxury good for the richest of the developed nations. As far as I can tell, they are mostly there as sort of an intuitive way to compare material wealth - Remember that the game was developed as an education tool for schools, the game even comes with suggestions for lesson plans! The items may well have some behind the scenes effects though, as the game really is largely a statistical black box. There is no "listen to radio" equivalent to the television, and I'm not even sure what effect television viewing has on your character. I think it increases happiness, hopefully at the expense of your physical stats?

It's also very odd to me that when Yu died, he had pairs of both television sets and radios, but not a single telephone?

Air is lava! posted:

chitoryu12 posted:

That's exactly right. "Renminbi" means "The people's currency", while "yuan" is the primary unit. We don't notice in the United States because the primary unit of the US dollar is the dollar. But just like you don't insist on paying "20 pounds sterling" for a video game, you would just say you paid X amount of yuan.

Huh, this is interesting! Is anything except the currency measured in yuan? And as long as I'm no more wrong than as if I'd joked about a british girl being named "Pound", I'm still pleased about that joke :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Covski posted:

Huh, this is interesting! Is anything except the currency measured in yuan? And as long as I'm no more wrong than as if I'd joked about a british girl being named "Pound", I'm still pleased about that joke :colbert:

Nope. The yuan is just the base unit of the currency, like "dollar" for the US dollar. They even translate foreign currencies into Chinese the same, like American dollars are Meiyuan ("American yuan").

The yuan as a base unit dates back to the late 19th century, interestingly enough. The renminbi is just the latest Chinese currency to use it as a unit.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Man, that came to an end a decade or two shorter than I expected. Then again, we can't all be Mick Jagger.

Almost a decade with lung cancer is still a miracle.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
"Here lies Hang Yu, he had a bunch of drugs and got laid. College is a scam for losers."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
He lied, he cheated, he stole.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

This sounds like a Bond girl's name.

"Here lies Hang Yu, sometimes drugging and drinking won't kill you as immediately as you think."

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
Hang Yu: He lived like was going to die young, for longer than expected.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
God what a great run! He even got back into drugs and became a petty criminal by the end. I wish we could play as his daughter next and do a Hang Legacy Run but another random chump in a new country will be interesting too.

I don't like that "Cash in all your goddam investments to cover nebulously defined natural disaster costs" event, at least in Yu's case. I could see it being more plausible in a less well-developed or especially war-torn country, but not in China.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Does anyone know if Real Lives 2010 works on Windows 10? It's only $30 and this has gotten me interested enough that I'm considering doing a run or two for the thread.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

chitoryu12 posted:

Does anyone know if Real Lives 2010 works on Windows 10? It's only $30 and this has gotten me interested enough that I'm considering doing a run or two for the thread.

It works with some effort. In compatibility mode as admin at least.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I started a graveyard to memorialize all the runs. (not finished) Now you finally have something to put in that reserved second post!

I'll write some jquery and CSS tomorrow to include everyone's eulogy for Yu. It will be of the "gently floating animated quotes" variety. It'll be super classy and tasteful. The effects I mean. Not the eulogies.

Feedback on what else should be included on the headstones is also appreciated.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 24, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

chitoryu12 posted:

My friend streamed it like last week on Windows 10, which was mostly motivated by her wanting to show some friends how silly this game is, so yeah, it does work with some finagling.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hang Yu: More like Hang-10. Smoker, Addict, Cancer Bag. Loved every second of it.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

"Hang in there, always be who Yu want to be."

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know much about real Chinese names, but Xiao Xia could be Little Shrimp.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This was a neat read. Please run us through a dozen more of these!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arbitrary Number posted:

I don't know much about real Chinese names, but Xiao Xia could be Little Shrimp.

All depends on that characters, and I doubt Real Lives models that, so we'll never know. The Little part is probably right, though, but it's usually a nickname thing rather than an actually name.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
RIP in peace, at least they didn't Hang Yu :downs:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hang Yu: Died as a loving and caring* father, despite his best efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Cathode Raymond posted:

I started a graveyard to memorialize all the runs. (not finished) Now you finally have something to put in that reserved second post!

I'll write some jquery and CSS tomorrow to include everyone's eulogy for Yu. It will be of the "gently floating animated quotes" variety. It'll be super classy and tasteful. The effects I mean. Not the eulogies.

Feedback on what else should be included on the headstones is also appreciated.

Hey, this is really neat! I'll be adding it to the OP right away! :) If you wanted to make pretty banner that I can use to link to it, that'd be really swell too!

Nietzschean posted:

This was a neat read. Please run us through a dozen more of these!

I'm glad you all seem to be enjoying the the game so much! The next run will start tomorrow, unless I have spare time and is stricken with inspiration/boredom this evening.

• Locked thread