Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm curious as to what they think "Canada" was in 1882.

And also France in 1962 lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A Dominion. :whip:

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Irradiation posted:

Interesting that there are so many Presbyterians when there are no Lutherans despite being a higher percentage demographically.

The original English settlers were Anglican, which became the Episcopalian church, and Scottish were mostly Presbyterian. These are the OG power players in American politics.

Lutherans came over later as part of the Northern European (German/Scandinavian) immigration.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

A Dominion. :whip:

Then he missed the DPRK and DPRC!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

I'm Democratic Spain under Franco. :spain:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm Democratic Russia under Putin.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dreddout posted:

I'm Democratic Spain under Franco. :spain:

Spain isn't blue at any point during Franco's rule on that map though?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Well, then I am democratic Belgium under Leopold I.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pakled posted:

Spain isn't blue at any point during Franco's rule on that map though?

You're right I got confused and assumed the map said Spain was democracy from 1922 to 1942. I am a drunk idiot.

In that case, I am the retroactive democracy of Alaska.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That is a good map of "proximity to state border"

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Interesting that they're mostly asymmetrical.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Whiz Palace posted:

Interesting that they're mostly asymmetrical.

Probably because the larger city/town is on the other side or because the businesses are choosing to operate in a state more favorable to their business.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Those Texas counties nowhere near the state borders are interesting. They're close to the border with Mexico, but I think that's unlikely to be the cause because the border between the US and Canada, or the US and Mexico in California, isn't showing up at all on that map.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Tree Cover since 2000.

From http://www.globalforestwatch.org/map

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How much of that gain is kudzu?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guavanaut posted:

quote:

In this data set, “tree cover” is defined as all vegetation greater than 5 meters in height, and may take the form of natural forests or plantations across a range of canopy densities. “Gain” is defined as the establishment of tree canopy at the Landsat pixel scale in an area that previously had no tree cover. Tree cover gain may indicate a number of potential activities, including natural forest growth or the crop rotation cycle of tree plantations.

Due to variation in research methodology and date of content, tree cover, loss, and gain data sets cannot be compared accurately against each other. Accordingly, “net” loss cannot be calculated by subtracting figures for tree cover gain from tree cover loss, and current (post-2000) tree cover cannot be determined by subtracting figures for annual tree cover loss from year 2000 tree cover.

The authors evaluated the overall prevalence of false positives (commission errors) in this data at 24%, and the prevalence of false negatives (omission errors) at 26%, though the accuracy varies by biome and thus may be higher or lower in any particular location. Read our blog series on the accuracy of this data for more information.

So probably none of it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I wonder how much of that is new trees planted in the subdivisions where the original trees were chopped out to build on the land.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Guavanaut posted:

"I've always been a creeper. Violetta says I creep like the kudzu vines that are slowly but surely strangling our Dixie."

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

It seems like alot of those pink areas were caused by forest fires. Bastrop sticks out like a sore thumb east of Austin. What the hell happened to the Black Hills?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

fishmech posted:

I wonder how much of that is new trees planted in the subdivisions where the original trees were chopped out to build on the land.

This map shows the places where vegetation and housing are coterminous, and it doesn't really look like there a massive amount of overlap, though there is some.

Note: I think this is just supposed to be all wild vegetation, which is why the huge swaths of agricultural land on the Mississippi and Midwest don't count while the sun-scorched sticks in Nevada do.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 24, 2016

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ist/?next=/science-nature/true-story-kudzu-vine-ate-south-180956325/

Tl;dr: Kudzu is actually not a big deal. It was just a great story.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Saw this map on another site, wondered if the democracy/non-democracy judgement was based on percentage of the population with voting rights or something else that might make sense, but no, it was just some combination of subjective bullshit criteria like "attitudes towards democracy" the mapmakers came up with.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Sucrose posted:

Saw this map on another site, wondered if the democracy/non-democracy judgement was based on percentage of the population with voting rights or something else that might make sense, but no, it was just some combination of subjective bullshit criteria like "attitudes towards democracy" the mapmakers came up with.

The thing they use to judge democracy is Polity IV, which is the most common measure used for democracy in quantitative political science. It's super flawed and has lots of really questionable judgements, but in general it's the best measure we have of a squishy concept like democracy.

It's also very Eurocentric and biased towards considering America a "democracy". It's also a scale from -10 to 10, so I'm not sure if this chart uses the usual cutoff of considering a democracy if a state scores a 7 or greater on the scale.

One other thing - it takes into account historical trends. That is, it is more generous to definitions of democracy in the 1800's than it is for states today. Whether that's valid or not is a good question. I've used it before and gotten published with it as a control variable so :shrug:

EDIT: Check the chart on their site for all 2010's scores http://www.systemicpeace.org/polity/polity4.htm

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SO I just realized that New Jersey is basically a state that exists for New York and Philadelphia to vomit out some of their excess populations :psyduck:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DarkCrawler posted:

SO I just realized that New Jersey is basically a state that exists for New York and Philadelphia to vomit out some of their excess populations :psyduck:

It's why it's such a wealthy state, and why it has great public transit (because otherwise you couldn't get to work).

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

fishmech posted:

It's why it's such a wealthy state, and why it has great public transit (because otherwise you couldn't get to work).

Also it's pretty much as diverse as any major American city, if not more then most.

I basically pictured it as an extended Sopranos set until now. Nine million people? The most densely populated U.S. State? Holy poo poo. How come you never hear these things.

America is pretty great in that it's so huge that you always find fun weird places like this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DarkCrawler posted:

Also it's pretty much as diverse as any major American city, if not more then most.

I basically pictured it as an extended Sopranos set until now. Nine million people? The most densely populated U.S. State? Holy poo poo. How come you never hear these things.

America is pretty great in that it's so huge that you always find fun weird places like this.

And for all that population, much of it's still pretty empty:

One major part of that? Strict development controls in the southern 1/2 of the state or so:

There are similar sorts of development controls, typically state refusal to expand roads combined with requiring extensive environmental studies before allowing development, in the northwest section of the state, which helps keep NYC focused development close to NYC, as the stuff in the south keeps Philly-focused development close to Philadelphia. No nice and pretty map of that though!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Speaking of maps that aren't nice and pretty:

:barf: haha there is like a billion clustered around New York City. Jersey is awesome. It's like the state took the concept of suburbia so far so long ago that some of those suburbs have become cities of their own.

It's pretty cool that Jersey manages to conserve so much of the state while bursting at seams though.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 24, 2016

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

fishmech posted:

And for all that population, much of it's still pretty empty:

One major part of that? Strict development controls in the southern 1/2 of the state or so:

There are similar sorts of development controls, typically state refusal to expand roads combined with requiring extensive environmental studies before allowing development, in the northwest section of the state, which helps keep NYC focused development close to NYC, as the stuff in the south keeps Philly-focused development close to Philadelphia. No nice and pretty map of that though!

Is the big green bit Pine Barrens

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ras Het posted:

I can see how you could lose a Russian interior decorator there

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ras Het posted:

The Pine Barrens is the entire area that's colored in there, and there for a little way outside the colored in borders. The light and dark green bits are the parts that are most empty and protected forest, often with run down ghost towns scattered throughout from the colonial era and 19th century.

So basically if you're in the light and dark green bits, it's this for miles around:

and this on the surface:

Because the whole area is full of sand that you'd love on a beach, mixed with the fallen pine needles.

DarkCrawler posted:

:barf: haha there is like a billion clustered around New York City. Jersey is awesome. It's like the state took the concept of suburbia so far so long ago that some of those suburbs have become cities of their own.

It's pretty cool that Jersey manages to conserve so much of the state while bursting at seams though.

There was a fad called Boroughitis that ran from 1880 to the early 20th century, mostly done by 1910: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boroughitis

Most of those small towns have a lot of local services provided by the county these days though, so it's less inefficient than it appears at first glance. They especially tend to pool multiple towns for high schools and middle schools, while leaving the individual towns to have their own elementary schools.

Basically, it doesn't end up like, say, St Louis' metro area.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

Growing up in jersey it's driven home all throughout elementary school that it's the most densely populated state. I think that's how I learned what the concept of density is.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

I used to live in north Jersey, home to some totally necessary municipalities like Guttenberg:

South Hackensack

Teterboro (population 67!)

South Jersey also has Tavistock (population 5), which exists solely so a country club can operate on Sundays:

and Pine Valley, home to 12 residents and a golf course:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

It's amusing finding the symmetrical borderlands versus the one-sided relationships. Vegas is a clear one. Also, hi Malheur County!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HorseRenoir posted:

I used to live in north Jersey, home to some totally necessary municipalities like Guttenberg:

What you forgot to mention is that most of that town lives in this single building complex:

Which is why it ends up being the most densely populated single town in the whole country, at ~58,000 people per square mile. The "Galaxy Towers" are something like 6000-7000 of the town's 11,000 people.

Also Haddon Township ended up fractured like South Hackensack is:

Though clearly in bigger chunks than poor old South Hackensack.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 24, 2016

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Map of the Soviet electric grid (Howard Sochurek. 1959)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Randandal posted:

It seems like alot of those pink areas were caused by forest fires. Bastrop sticks out like a sore thumb east of Austin. What the hell happened to the Black Hills?

Black Hills had some forest fires a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

ekuNNN posted:

Map of the Soviet electric grid (Howard Sochurek. 1959)

Why does Ukraine get a special cutout?