Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Steelion posted:

I've thought about trying the Xbox or PS4 versions sometime, but then I ask myself why I would want to grind to unlock tanks I already own.

Unrelated: -G- gets really salty when you set them on fire, especially when it's less than half a second after someone else sets them on fire and their auto-extinguisher is used up.

The beauty of the console versions is the increased XP and the fact that the pubbies are totally clueless to the PC Tanks Meta. Like how often I get to be the only person on the Campinovka Hill. Or how I have rarely seen slow heavies going Hill on the Dorf. Most nights it is like shooting ducks in a barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I really don't get get the way xp is given. I had a 5.2k damage game with one kill and 523 assist. I shot all tier ten tanks. Another player in the same tank gets less than half my damage 390 assist and 358 team damage and ends up with 100 more xp, I get that i gave away some xp to the t54 light that spotted for me but that was only half my damage. wtf

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

mikemelbrooks posted:

I really don't get get the way xp is given. I had a 5.2k damage game with one kill and 523 assist. I shot all tier ten tanks. Another player in the same tank gets less than half my damage 390 assist and 358 team damage and ends up with 100 more xp, I get that i gave away some xp to the t54 light that spotted for me but that was only half my damage. wtf
it's not just who spots the damage, it's also how close you are to the target. after battle results delineates damage inside/outside 100/300m, it would make sense if this was a lazy readout based on numbers the secret xp algorithm needs anyway

and module damage also counts like spotting does too, now. That other player might have been using the light's spotting but they might have tracked a target you were both firing at. You can aim so you were actually doing damage while the other player was just wasting shells permatracking them, but getting half the xp from everyone else's damage while the track effect persisted

can't wait for armor use to count toward xp so heavies get even easier to grind up compared to literally everything else and we can have a fresh wave of is-7 tomatoes

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I got the Mutz and gold trained some crew for it. Had a lot of fun for about 200 games and accidentally completed the missions for the free crew members. Of course by the time I got all of them, the crew I bought originally were better in every way. Thanks wargaming? Oh well, I guess it's a free German medium crew with BIA if I ever decide to ... buy that Panther II. I don't know. I wish they would have just made them like the girl crew where you could choose which nationality and specialty.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
I'm a new player (2 days), and am having a ton of trouble in the T3/T4 range. I have a T-28 and a Marder-3, but every time I join a game, I'm lowest tier. I'm finding it crazy hard to progress since my shots don't penetrate what feels about 90% of the time. I'm upgrading the gun modules to the ones with the highest penetration, but it doesn't seem to matter. Even if I can get in to a good position where I can get a few shots off before someone notices me, they just don't do any damage. No damage equals no XP, and no XP means progression is taking forever. 14,500xp for the KV at 50xp per game is going to take a while.

Any ideas? What am I missing? What should I be doing differently?

jsr v2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 24, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

jsr v2.0 posted:

I'm a new player (2 days), and am having a ton of trouble in the T3/T4 range. I have a T-28 and a Marder-3, but every time I join a game, I'm lowest tier. I'm finding it crazy hard to progress since my shots don't penetrate what feels about 90% of the time. I'm upgrading the gun modules to the ones with the highest penetration, but it doesn't seem to matter. Even if I can get in to a good position where I can get a few shots off before someone notices me, they just don't do any damage. No damage equals no XP, and no XP means progression is taking forever. 14,500xp for the KV at 50xp per game is going to take a while.

If you're on NA server, tier three matchmaking got wrecked due to our low server population and some changes that were implemented to stop good players from "seal clubbing" in lower tiers, but actually just made tier 3s become bottom tier in 90% of their games. Whoops! Fortunately tier 3 is quick. You may be able to platoon with goons and get some advice that way, but tier 3 is basically an unplayable hell right now.

Tier 4s have always been one of the worst tiers simply because they're so easily outmatched by tier 6 tanks. On the T-28, use the 57mm, stay like 20 tank lengths behind your higher tier teammates, and lob high penetration shells at the enemy. The more shells you fire at enemies, the more that will hit and the more that will pen. You should be firing 15-30 times with the 57mm gun. Maybe focus on enemy medium tanks if you're having trouble penning, and if you're using a 50% crew at least pay the credits for a 75% one. Also never use HE, High Explosives ammo is the devil and is horrendous.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

TracerM17 posted:

I got the Mutz and gold trained some crew for it. Had a lot of fun for about 200 games and accidentally completed the missions for the free crew members. Of course by the time I got all of them, the crew I bought originally were better in every way. Thanks wargaming? Oh well, I guess it's a free German medium crew with BIA if I ever decide to ... buy that Panther II. I don't know. I wish they would have just made them like the girl crew where you could choose which nationality and specialty.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but, if that crew comes with BIA for free, that means you will train your second skill as if it was your first, which means you get to your third and fourth skills more quickly as well. It's essentially the same as a girl crew and pretty nice to have.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

M.C. McMic posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but, if that crew comes with BIA for free, that means you will train your second skill as if it was your first, which means you get to your third and fourth skills more quickly as well. It's essentially the same as a girl crew and pretty nice to have.

That's how the berlin quartet crews work, so I'd assume that's how this crew works.

e: vvv that makes me sad.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 24, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

M.C. McMic posted:

No, it's regular BiA, not the 0th skill version. You can even retrain it.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

jsr v2.0 posted:

i know your new, but try to stay back and watch where people drive(and die) and dont overexstend yourself.

Both the marder3 and t28 has some of the highest at tier penetration, so that shouldnt be a problem, but both are tincans by armor.

play every tank you have as a behind the lines tank, and support your teammates, instead of goin first in.

It's actually "crazy easy" to progress at t3-4, you just have to play safe/carefully, your survival rate should be a good indicatior on how well you stay alive :)

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If you are having pen problems with the marder and t-28 thats probably an indication that you need to look up what tanks you are having problems with and see where you should be shooting them. Those two tanks shouldn't have pen problems really barring some bad match making.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I will be poopsocking the poo poo out of my M12 on this friday/saturday with a poo poo ton of boosts and trying to just plow through the remaining 80,000 exp. If anyone wants to join me for some potentially miserable T7 games, hit me up!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks bud. Lets blow up some tanks.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Got the battle assistant mod for arty. Solved my height issues. It's like night and day.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Haven't played arty without battle assistant since beta. Can't imagine going back.

Completely unrelated: how's the Cent AX spam? I'm considering playing again after a couple weeks' break, but all my grinding tanks are tiers 8 and 9.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Haven't played arty without battle assistant since beta. Can't imagine going back.

Completely unrelated: how's the Cent AX spam? I'm considering playing again after a couple weeks' break, but all my grinding tanks are tiers 8 and 9.

Lots of Cent AXs still, the Cent AX is loving horrible still. Good time to play any other tier 10 if you've got missions, same with arti if you're a sick motherfucker who also wants to be successful.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

They're still everywhere.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Allow me to quote myself from three days ago:

This is on EU.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

So how long have you been on MT-7 for? I've been one the t55a version for a several months now and I would honestly murder the mission designer if I met him.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I really don't understand the reasoning behind missions/specials that completely poo poo-up the matchmaking for an entire month. Does this really get more people to play, or does it just get the hardcore tank players to play even more?

I play a lot of tier 8 (yes, I know I'm basically kicking myself in the ball repeatedly, but at least I have an FCM 50 t and a Type 59 for occasional pref matchmaking) because I have premium tanks I like to cycle through. So, it's kind of obnoxious for Wargaming to just hand out free tier 8 premiums to mouth-breathing retards while concurrently running a mission that puts even more tier 10 tanks into the queue.

I haven't played in weeks.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Darkrenown posted:

So how long have you been on MT-7 for? I've been one the t55a version for a several months now and I would honestly murder the mission designer if I met him.
I'm not sure, but it's probably been quite a while. This is only just the set for the T28 HTC, too. I've only been playing very sporadically lately, so I haven't been making much progress.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
So the cent ax missions have been really easy for me. I've been completing them daily in 1-3 games. Today is my final one and I've played about 10 games and am getting wrecked. loving sucks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

M.C. McMic posted:

I really don't understand the reasoning behind missions/specials that completely poo poo-up the matchmaking for an entire month. Does this really get more people to play, or does it just get the hardcore tank players to play even more?

I play a lot of tier 8 (yes, I know I'm basically kicking myself in the ball repeatedly, but at least I have an FCM 50 t and a Type 59 for occasional pref matchmaking) because I have premium tanks I like to cycle through. So, it's kind of obnoxious for Wargaming to just hand out free tier 8 premiums to mouth-breathing retards while concurrently running a mission that puts even more tier 10 tanks into the queue.

I haven't played in weeks.

The way Wargaming believes their own matchmaker works is that if you have, say, 50 tier 10 players, 50 tier 9 players, and 50 tier 8 players, the ratio of tier 8 battles, tier 9 battles, tier 10 battles, tier 11 battles, etc, will remain the same even if the ratio of players becomes, for example, 300 tier 10 players, 100 tier 9 players, 50 tier 8 players. That's patently false, obviously, and also even if it were true you'd still see more tier 10 tanks because the tier 10 battles you'd get stuck in would have to compensate by having a higher proportion of tier 10 tanks compared to other tiers.

"Even if we remove battle tier 12, tier 8 players won't see any more tier 10s!" is a loving lie.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Don't play tier 8 unless you have pref match making.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Don't play tier 8 unless you have pref match making.

Grind tier 8s in Strongholds.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

'Sup never gonna finish MT-7 for the T-55A buddy? I almost had it once, but low rolled the third arty, and someone snaked the kill.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

'Sup never gonna finish MT-7 for the T-55A buddy? I almost had it once, but low rolled the third arty, and someone snaked the kill.

On the plus side the 260 version of that mission is hilarious far easier.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Even wargaming knew that asking you to kill 4 spgs was impossible.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

To be honest though, I've only been trying to do it in the AMX 30(P) and Obj. 430 II while I'm grinding them, which sucks because high tier arty are almost non-existent. It's probably easiest to do it in an Easy 8 with the 105mm because there are far more retards playing arty at low tiers and you can one-shot every arty you see.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

McGavin posted:

To be honest though, I've only been trying to do it in the AMX 30(P) and Obj. 430 II while I'm grinding them, which sucks because high tier arty are almost non-existent. It's probably easiest to do it in an Easy 8 with the 105mm because there are far more retards playing arty at low tiers and you can one-shot every arty you see.

At last we discover why they sold the LeFuHH so cheaply.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

lol RELIC. We'll be doing Scavenger Hunt fun times today on Saturday, so everybody show up for that, but after they give out the code and we try to steal a Type 59 we'll be doing our own Rampage event which is definitely not rigging, definitely not. Show up tomorrow on Discord at around 4pm Eastern for the Scavenger Hunt, and maybe at 6pm we'll have enough goons on AND have a clear opening on one of the servers to get some domination games going.

Also it's getting to the point where I'm probably going to both give up on this loving PGS poo poo, and also become slightly more blatant if we do run into 4-6 pubbies in game where we are definitely NOT rigging. WGA has shown they don't give a poo poo, so I'm kind of fed up being even slightly clandestine about us not rigging.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I doubt they care as long as you're a paying customer and some rear end in a top hat doesn't make a youtube video and a thread that gets a bunch of attention.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I have to admit, the thought of getting a better tank than any of the CW rewards I stressed myself out about, and only getting banned for a few days I won't end up playing anyway sounds pretty loving good. Now to just download Discord.

I just hope I still remember how to click tanks. :ohdear:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I have to admit, the thought of getting a better tank than any of the CW rewards I stressed myself out about, and only getting banned for a few days I won't end up playing anyway sounds pretty loving good. Now to just download Discord.

I just hope I still remember how to click tanks. :ohdear:

I don't know why you'd get banned at all since we're certainly not rigging, but even if we were rigging it's pretty blatant that Wargaming doesn't stop riggers. Do they even do the customary ban after earning a T-22? Rothmog, how's your account been?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The east on Pilsen is WORSE than the valley on Lakeville. They're both basically the same poo poo - giant expanse that takes a while to cross over and that gives you zero options to contribute to the actual fight, and on the other side you have three horrible options:

1) you get stuck either sitting in the open trying to cap and dying to enemy tanks you can't fight against (while giving away perfect shots to enemy artillery);
2) you push past the enemy cap and get stuck out in the open getting focused on by many tanks at once;
3) you sit there in the east trying to snipe at hull down enemy tanks while being eaten by artillery.

Meanwhile the west is lost because your tank wasn't there contributing to the game, and your team loses easily. However, the east on Pilsen is even worse - artillery from the entire map can shoot you instead of just the straight up/down shots like on Lakeville, and you can get sniped through the holes in the center building! I've been telling both teams in allchat this:

"Go west, win west, win map. The east on this map it totally worthless. EVEN IF YOU WIN THE EAST EASILY, you will contribute nothing." "Even if you survive the artillery killzone, you need to push across a vast, barren area while being shot from hulldown enemy tanks." "Please just go west, help your team win the brawl, and try to contribute to your team."

Every loving time the enemy team goes east, we win. Every loving time our team goes east, we lose. The east on Pilsen is horrendous, do not go east on Pilsen no matter what tank you are in.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Pilsen seems like it could have been an interesting map, if it weren't so completely dominated by 1/3 of the area.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Or even if it had a little more soft cover than only the bushes on either end of TD alley.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Just tossing in a beacon here. Reinstalled it a week ago, and beyond the few goon platoons it's been a miserable experience. Maybe 1-3 online from my contact list, out of 80-100 in all.

So if there's no action shortly I'm clicking the olde deinstall button.
It's Toy on EU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Daktari posted:

Just tossing in a beacon here. Reinstalled it a week ago, and beyond the few goon platoons it's been a miserable experience. Maybe 1-3 online from my contact list, out of 80-100 in all.

It's Toy on EU

Same, NA has been a ghost town and I don't particularly blame y'all for not playing. Tier 8+ matches are super hosed right now due to tier 8 rentals and the Cent AX missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Daktari posted:

It's Toy on EU

I was playing XCOM2 lately but I'll hop on tonight for some action. Sengo was online as well a week or two ago.

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 26, 2016