Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

bandman posted:

Had a phone interview today, which resulted in an onsite interview for tomorrow for an environmental job with a company that makes batteries for things like golf carts, forklifts, and other large specialty batteries. I'd be maintaining and monitoring the wastewater treatment system and helping with hazmat tracking in the factory, which is right up my alley. Pay wouldn't be fantastic, but it's better than I'm making now servicing commercial laundry stuff, and it comes with benefits. Got my interview pants and shirt ironed (email said business casual) and I've brushed up on my RCRA rules and wastewater permitting stuff.

This would mean (among other things) I could actually get some poo poo done on my truck, like a brake job, valve cover gaskets, and maybe even an Eaton Truetrac LSD.

Interview in person Thursday. Entry level IT, but in an environment I can likely advance in. Pays better than what I'm doing now to.

Good luck on yours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I'm terrible at interviews, I'm glad Ill hopefully never have to have one again.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Enourmo posted:

oh boy thermo test in an hour

and the professor can't teach for poo poo (we spent three weeks going over the loving otto and diesel cycles over and over and over again, which literally all of you can probably recite from memory)

so ive basically had to teach myself and im not confident at all going in to this loving thing

COLLEGE

E: oh and the homework solutions he posts regularly have blatant errors on them. im talking like transposing different units which leads to wrong solutions. at least the hw is extra-credit only.

I don't want to sound patronizing, but figuring out how to teach yourself is the whole point of college. I didn't get it either until pretty late in the game.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Also you should complain about your tutor being awful.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

Enourmo posted:

and the professor can't teach for poo poo (we spent three weeks going over the loving otto and diesel cycles over and over and over again, which literally all of you can probably recite from memory)

so ive basically had to teach myself and im not confident at all going in to this loving thing

COLLEGE

E: oh and the homework solutions he posts regularly have blatant errors on them. im talking like transposing different units which leads to wrong solutions. at least the hw is extra-credit only.

Mine was last week. Our homework is worth points but I do it all in EES which makes testing a pain since I have to remember how to do it all by hand. Buuuut doing it that many times and drawing the same t-s diagrams and system diagrams you remember em all then putting the equations together is just walking through the drawings. For me anyways. Well see when I get the exam back but Im not holding my breath considering Ive seen one graded assignment thus far and were seven weeks in.

Also this:

BloodBag posted:

I don't want to sound patronizing, but figuring out how to teach yourself is the whole point of college. I didn't get it either until pretty late in the game.

I have no clue whats going on in my statistics lecture because the prof is a bumbling rambling disorganized confused research chemist. But I have an A so far from finding notes/lectures to other sections and youtube. Besides having to argue points on quizzes because of him contradicting written definitions in the book, things are going swimmingly.

BigFuzzyJesus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 23, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Speaking of college students...

There is one dumb motherfucker in a class I teach today that a) has not done anything in the first 6 weeks of class, b) has been repeatedly late or absent, and c) rage-quit the class on Thursday after I wouldn't accept from him a late paper (literal rage quit, where he stormed out slamming the door... except the door has a slow-close device on it, so he ended up looking even more ridiculous)...

So he came in today, repeatedly interrupted me until I said I was just about to lose my patience, then proceeded to fall asleep to the point that he fell off the chair, hit his head on the floor with his glasses flying, only to lay there for an uncomfortable amount of time without moving. I know he's on drugs, but drat, man, get your poo poo together, you look like an absolute clown.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

im too stupid to be an engineer. Or a mechanic. Or anything requiring any kind of knowledge.

someone please pay me to lick your taint because it's apparently all I'll ever be good for

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Enourmo posted:

im too stupid to be an engineer. Or a mechanic. Or anything requiring any kind of knowledge.

someone please pay me to lick your taint because it's apparently all I'll ever be good for

Hey now, if my brother can get a degree in mechanical engineering, I know you can too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

maybe. does your brother have depressive bouts that often prevented him from studying with any sort of distraction around (like say the roommate shenanigans I've been prong up with)?

cause its kinda hard to bootstrap your way to an A when sometimes the effort to reach down and grab the straps is just beyond me, mentally speaking

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
I had to engine master to clear a power steering pump.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Enourmo posted:

maybe. does your brother have depressive bouts that often prevented him from studying with any sort of distraction around (like say the roommate shenanigans I've been prong up with)?

cause its kinda hard to bootstrap your way to an A when sometimes the effort to reach down and grab the straps is just beyond me, mentally speaking

Do you have a prescription for braindrugs?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I used to but funny story I ran out a few years back and was too depressed/anxious to go back and renew it

kinda like "well this is how is gonna be may as well accept it"

like I know in my head I need to go back but that doesn't help me actually DO it

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Enourmo posted:

Dude, I've been there. Hell, I'm still there some days. It sucks, but, just get a routine going. Its the only thing that works for me. And I know its easier said then done, but just keep fighting it.
And go get brain drugs. Seriously. Just do it. We believe in you!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Siochain posted:

We believe in you!

Well that makes (AI regulars - 1) of us

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Speaking of college students...

There is one dumb motherfucker in a class I teach today that a) has not done anything in the first 6 weeks of class, b) has been repeatedly late or absent, and c) rage-quit the class on Thursday after I wouldn't accept from him a late paper (literal rage quit, where he stormed out slamming the door... except the door has a slow-close device on it, so he ended up looking even more ridiculous)...

So he came in today, repeatedly interrupted me until I said I was just about to lose my patience, then proceeded to fall asleep to the point that he fell off the chair, hit his head on the floor with his glasses flying, only to lay there for an uncomfortable amount of time without moving. I know he's on drugs, but drat, man, get your poo poo together, you look like an absolute clown.

Hes going to be a valued employee at Fuzzy's Taco Shop.

Enourmo posted:

COLLEGE

I hate to break this to you, but there's plenty of dip shits in the working world too. I work with guys who have done their jobs for 10-15 years and still can't figure it out.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

Siochain posted:

get a routine going.
And go get brain drugs.

I feel like that alot too and usually wake up at the sunrise from anxiety over studying/homework/grades/everything else and I just try to get my rear end to school and stay there and study when I do because I get absolutely no worthwhile studying done at home (even if I lie to my self and say Im going to). Idk about where youre at but we have tons of computer labs, and I now know where pretty much all the ones on the engineering sides of campus are, and spend 20-30 hours a week in them. I have terrible study habits from under achieving in hs and am terrible at math to boot but I just keep reminding myself this is what I want and to some extent Im making up for lost time smoking pot when my peers were learning algebra, trig, geometry and all the other poo poo I missed.

Also the first test is just a sampler of how the class is going to be going forward in my opinion. In thermo one I had a 52 on the first test (because I got hosed up on interpolation...basic algebra). Ended up with a b+ in the class after studying out of a different book along with the (worthless) "text book" (.pdf) that my instructor wrote and used for the class.

Christ /rant

Basically: Im pullin for ya, keep your stick on the ice.

BigFuzzyJesus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 23, 2016

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Well that makes (AI regulars - 1) of us

Lets put it this way.
Have you seen what some engineers have done to cars? That made it to market?
You'll be a great engineer. Just fight through the shittiness.
And go see doctor for brain drugs.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Enourmo posted:

The library is your friend, then. Find the furthest corner of the least used level and sit your rear end down at a study carrel. I was never able to get decent work done at home in college because there were chores to do or friends over or someone was watching TV or I just sat down at my desktop and played games. I started going to the library for 3-6 hours a night after class/work and left my laptop in my bag to keep from being distracted by the internet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Magnus Praeda posted:

The library is your friend, then. Find the furthest corner of the least used level and sit your rear end down at a study carrel. I was never able to get decent work done at home in college because there were chores to do or friends over or someone was watching TV or I just sat down at my desktop and played games. I started going to the library for 3-6 hours a night after class/work and left my laptop in my bag to keep from being distracted by the internet.

Yeah, this.
Avoid the distractions.
In my case, I lived off campus, so this was also what to do between classes.
I should note here that I never finished, but that was because I waffled on what to do, not because of bad grades (4.3 @ 120 hours, thankyouverymuch, not that any of those credit hours are still valid after 20 years.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mostly i freak out cause ive got like a 3.06 at 170 credit hours. itll take a lot of As to make my gpa competitive and every B makes it harder to bring up, let along grades worse than that (and they're instituting a C minimum to have classes count for prerequisite credit, so if you get a D and another course requires it, you have to re-take)

doesnt help that the difficulty curve looks like this

seriously we spent 3 weeks on ideal gas law which we all pretty much did to death in chem 1 so I could pretty much ignore the lectures and do fine. then state equations got 2 lectures (the first of which i skipped to study for my modeling methods exam) and a review session and BAM it's the entire test, which also includes poo poo like a steel beam being extruded under pressure (i don't think we ever even touched on solids). no simple ideal gas stuff at all.

i can deal with difficulty if it's fair, but this was just a shitshow that i dont feel like i had adequate time to prepare for. and we STILL havent formally touched on the 3 laws, which unless i'm misunderstanding something are kind of fundamental to the entire course and all reality.

todays just a real fuckin bad day all around. and my roommate isnt helping the already difficult adjustment period in a new living situation, i dont think ive gotten a night's restful sleep since i moved here.

E: i'm sure I'd do fine at the things engineers actually do on a day to day basis; you know, designing poo poo. but that wont help if i cant get the slip of paper saying i meet bare minimum standard of knowing what i'm doing with a decent GPA to back it up. i will be hosed and unable to get a job like my buddy who graduated aerospace with a 2.4 in july and hasnt so much as heard back from a single application yet.

E2: unrelated but also poo poo, i had to shave of most of my beard cause my skin was getting super irritated despite regular washing and moisturizing. it needed done but god drat do i hate how my face looks without it. reminds me of the bad times in my life.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 23, 2016

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Tonight I managed to set off a car alarm in a multi-storey car park using the power of my exhaust. In a 1.0 3cyl Toyota. I had the window down at the time - it sounded like a real car!

I guess this means that it has now progressed from 'sounding sporty' to 'proper hosed', and I should probably fix it..

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Enourmo posted:

mostly i freak out cause ive got like a 3.06 at 170 credit hours. itll take a lot of As to make my gpa competitive and every B makes it harder to bring up, let along grades worse than that (and they're instituting a C minimum to have classes count for prerequisite credit, so if you get a D and another course requires it, you have to re-take)

If your GPA isn't super competitive, leave it off your resume. Nobody who has been working in the real world for more than a year is gonna think about it or care. It's like your "permanent record": a convenient fiction.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Yeah, get help or pills or whatever. Ask me about 30+ years of undiagnosed depression :D

Actually don't

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Try to get involved with a company now through a co-op or internship if you're really worried about gpa, and get involved in something. In both my co op interviews they brought up my involvement in baja. One of the interviews I got through applying online and I have a 2.8. My old room mate just got hired with a nuclear power plant in my hometown as an operator and he had a 2.4 in civil with no involvement in anything and no internships. Granted its not a job where he can get his PE, they are paying ~40% better than what he was offered from two civil firms and he likes the work more. I dunno I don't think its all hopeless, that said I definitely am currently working with two group members with a 3.9 and 4.0 who so far have struggled to use a lathe (one guy was downright scary on it), calipers, mill and I'm sure many more things to come in the lab.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
All this college talk is reminding me that one of the conditions I had for this position was I need to go to college. I graduated HS in 2006. gently caress, it's been 10 years and I'm actually scared of enrolling. I hated school, tests were cool, and actually fun, but everything else about it sucked. I hate sitting in classes, and I especially hate homework, but I know that when I go, its gotta be in a classroom otherwise I'm not really gonna pay attention. I'm super anxious (I mean like almost panic attack levels) and not at all excited. I'm actually envious of everyone who went to college immediately out of high school, because now I feel like I'm gonna be the old dude in the room even though I just turned 28. I just don't feel as sharp as I used to. But I have to go to school, and I know I can't put it off any longer. But I'm kinda freaking out about it.

Also sadbrains makes it really hard to even get out of bed in the morning, but I have to because when my dad passed away, it meant that I have to be the safety net for my brother, if I fail to pay the bills, we don't have a roof over our heads. Renovating the house cost a bunch of money I didn't really have at the time so I'm still working on paying off the bills for that. Ugh.

But yeah, try internships, they are a huge help. You get networking contacts, and boost your resume in the field you want to work in. Plus some companies if they want you after the internship will help pay for college.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Enourmo posted:

What SafetyDance said. The real world doesn't give a poo poo about your GPA. Look at job postings around the world, they say things like "Requires a bachelor's degree or 2 years work experience". Never once have I seen a GPA requirement on a job notice, and if you don't include it on your application/resume, they won't know or care. Do you have that fancy piece of paper that says you graduated? Good deal, you meet that hiring requirement.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Say what I did with a 2.3 GPA when they asked about it in my job interview:

"I did okay but I think if I was to do it again I'd do things a bit differently knowing what I do now."

Didn't even ask for my transcript.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

rowebot44 posted:

I had to engine master to clear a power steering pump.

Ugh is that a 202?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Locator posted:

What SafetyDance said. The real world doesn't give a poo poo about your GPA. Look at job postings around the world, they say things like "Requires a bachelor's degree or 2 years work experience". Never once have I seen a GPA requirement on a job notice, and if you don't include it on your application/resume, they won't know or care. Do you have that fancy piece of paper that says you graduated? Good deal, you meet that hiring requirement.

Exactly. It might matter on your first job or if/when you go for an internship, but beyond that, no one will ever care.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yeah well that first job is kinda what concerns me since i'm on job zero atm

E: well at least im still smart on rockets. i managed to correct the professor in space system concepts on a bonus question he had the wrong answer for last week.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 24, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

yeah well that first job is kinda what concerns me since i'm on job zero atm

E: well at least im still smart on rockets. i managed to correct the professor in space system concepts on a bonus question he had the wrong answer for last week.

Worry about THAT job at the appropriate time, which is not NOW. Plan for that job, of course, but there's no sense in getting stressed about something that is a year or so away?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sigtrap posted:

Yeah, get help or pills or whatever. Ask me about 30+ years of undiagnosed depression :D

Actually don't

Waddup sigtrap dude bro.

Enourmo posted:

college stuff

Sometimes I regret not going to college, then I read some of the poo poo here about student debt and general school bullshit and I don't feel so bad anymore.

That being said, finish what you started, do your best and don't give up this far into man.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The bigger roadblock to getting/keeping a job is this raging victim complex. Nobody gives a poo poo about your GPA, but turning into a mopey baby martyr at any hint of hardship will get you dumped from gainful employment very quickly. I have watched a couple guys destroy what could be promising IT careers with this type of attitude.

Go get the pills so you can stop feeling this way and start demonstrating the mental toughness it requires to be a functioning, happy adult.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

The bigger roadblock to getting/keeping a job is this raging victim complex. Nobody gives a poo poo about your GPA, but turning into a mopey baby martyr at any hint of hardship will get you dumped from gainful employment very quickly. I have watched a couple guys destroy what could be promising IT careers with this type of attitude.

Go get the pills so you can stop feeling this way and start demonstrating the mental toughness it requires to be a functioning, happy adult.

But my teacher/mother/roommates/tutor/theoretical employer/classmates/past work experience, they all conspire to prevent me taking responsibility for literally anything!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gently caress this nevermind

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, this.
Avoid the distractions.
In my case, I lived off campus, so this was also what to do between classes.
I should note here that I never finished, but that was because I waffled on what to do, not because of bad grades (4.3 @ 120 hours, thankyouverymuch, not that any of those credit hours are still valid after 20 years.)

You'd be surprised. At my school, they base it off the year you started so you could go back after 20 years and not have to take a ton of classes. Might be worth looking into for you if you're interested.

Enourmo posted:

mostly i freak out cause ive got like a 3.06 at 170 credit hours.

You're fine. If you have a 3.0+, you can put it on your resume. If not, leave it off.

alternate.eago posted:

All this college talk is reminding me that one of the conditions I had for this position was I need to go to college. I graduated HS in 2006. gently caress, it's been 10 years and I'm actually scared of enrolling. I hated school, tests were cool, and actually fun, but everything else about it sucked. I hate sitting in classes, and I especially hate homework, but I know that when I go, its gotta be in a classroom otherwise I'm not really gonna pay attention. I'm super anxious (I mean like almost panic attack levels) and not at all excited. I'm actually envious of everyone who went to college immediately out of high school, because now I feel like I'm gonna be the old dude in the room even though I just turned 28. I just don't feel as sharp as I used to. But I have to go to school, and I know I can't put it off any longer. But I'm kinda freaking out about it.

Are you planning on going to a four year school? I'd recommend going to a community college first and testing the waters. School isn't for everyone and that's okay. It's going to sound weird but you'll have an advantage over a lot of college freshman. You've been in the real world. If I had known what the real world was like, I would've worked a lot harder in school. The people that seemed to work the hardest in all of my courses were those returning to education.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gently caress it if in making bad posting decisions might as well go hog wild

you wanna know the REAL reason I'm so anxious about the roommate situation? the dude and his friends all smoke pot in large quantities(and are very bad at hiding it, one dude was rolling a blunt on the stairs OUTSIDE IN BROAD DAYLIGHT and they constantly leave pot and scales laying around)

And I'm like 95% certain at least one of them is DEALING

so there it is, my actual root concern is that the place could get raided and I could get arrested over something I had nothing to do with. am I still being a victim? Is that a valid enough reason for the goon hive mind for how anxious I am?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

alternate.eago posted:

Also sadbrains makes it really hard to even get out of bed in the morning, but I have to because when my dad passed away, it meant that I have to be the safety net for my brother, if I fail to pay the bills, we don't have a roof over our heads. Renovating the house cost a bunch of money I didn't really have at the time so I'm still working on paying off the bills for that. Ugh.

But yeah, try internships, they are a huge help. You get networking contacts, and boost your resume in the field you want to work in. Plus some companies if they want you after the internship will help pay for college.

Are you going to be working and taking two or three classes a semester? I thought that was a lot easier than taking a full course load. You'll get through it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Enourmo posted:

gently caress it if in making bad posting decisions might as well go hog wild

you wanna know the REAL reason I'm so anxious about the roommate situation? the dude and his friends all smoke pot in large quantities(and are very bad at hiding it, one dude was rolling a blunt on the stairs OUTSIDE IN BROAD DAYLIGHT and they constantly leave pot and scales laying around)

And I'm like 95% certain at least one of them is DEALING

so there it is, my actual root concern is that the place could get raided and I could get arrested over something I had nothing to do with. am I still being a victim? Is that a valid enough reason for the goon hive mind for how anxious I am?

... Then move?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

... Then move?

ugh.... i just loving moved in and like

what do i tell the office? what if he gets busted, his buddies put 2 and 2 together and come after me for snitching

christ i am a goddamn human mess

• Locked thread