Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Soho Joe posted:

fake edit: hate myself that i didn't play this on release day and was beaten to the punch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vMV1ykincE

this loving video has ruined the entire ending for me :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I played this game on Steam and loved it so much that I bought a copy off PSN so my sister could play on the big TV. Watching her play, I noticed differences in the stats at the end of the chapters that is kind of illuminating. Players on the PSN version were slightly more likely to kill Pompidou, slightly less likely to blame Nathan at the end of chapter 2, slightly less likely to kiss Chloe, and WAY less likely to help out Alyssa (55-45 vs 69-31). Console gamers seem to be objectively bigger dicks. She's still working through the game but I want to do a full on comparison once she's through, because this is loving fascinating to me.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The Price of War continues:
Chloe has acquired hacking skills and some sort of magnetic gun. Not sure what nerd she beat up to get all that stuff, but it's probably Warren.

Equipped, Chloe and Taylor has an excellent adventure against the Marshmallow man

and his friend, Fat Mama in the Woods

That's Big Boss in the background

Chloe letting it rip'

:black101:

(It's "Wildling" Taylor that's the loving murder machine of the two, but she let's Chloe think otherwise)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I played through this whole game just recently and it was cool and good. I liked the ending, it was a good way to get you to stop and think about everything that led you up to that point. All your choices mattered and had consequences to you and to Max on an emotional level which is what I was hoping for instead of some dumb poo poo like "well you made the Objectively Correct choices throught the game so you get the Good Ending." Everything that Max/I did still mattered, it still affected me and how I viewed things even if they "didn't happen" because of time travel. Having the option to peacefully end the alternate Chloe's life in her dreamy perfect moment was extremely powerful and affecting even after I left that timeline behind. In the end I chose to save Chloe and the tornado washing away their old lives as they drive into the sunset together was hella good.

Also I hope for a DLC campaign focused on that sweet Hot Dog Man.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I just now noticed Samuel is humming the music from the pause menu while he sweeps. New theory: Samuel is like Deadpool. He's self-aware of his existence as a fictional character, but nobody else can perceive this and so they mistake his insight as mental illness.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Nameless Pete posted:

I just now noticed Samuel is humming the music from the pause menu while he sweeps. New theory: Samuel is like Deadpool. He's self-aware of his existence as a fictional character, but nobody else can perceive this and so they mistake his insight as mental illness.

:stare:

oh man that's deep

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I got multiple moons floating up in the sky outside my window right now, couldn't help but think of the game. I guess it really can be a sort of really weird moon lens flare? (there's a third, really faint moon in a straight line from the two brighter ones)

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
My sister finished her playthrough last night. I left the room for episode 5 because I didn't want her to feel judged making the last choice, so I had to get an after action report. She had been very vocal about Warren's unwanted advances, so I first asked about the bit with him in the diner. "I gave him a hug. Because I do love him. And then I let him die, because Chloe is my soul mate."

I asked her how many times she had to rewind the fight between David and Jefferson. "Once."

I am really proud of my sister right now.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Nameless Pete posted:

My sister finished her playthrough last night. I left the room for episode 5 because I didn't want her to feel judged making the last choice, so I had to get an after action report. She had been very vocal about Warren's unwanted advances, so I first asked about the bit with him in the diner. "I gave him a hug. Because I do love him. And then I let him die, because Chloe is my soul mate."

I asked her how many times she had to rewind the fight between David and Jefferson. "Once."

:yeah:

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Nameless Pete posted:

Your sister might be MLG material god drat. She rewound the fight once?

She made the right Warren choice as well! Shame she flubbed the ending! Oh well!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Just played through this and wow, I was really impressed.

Ended up saving Chloe. My logic being that to have gone through all that stuff and realizing that Chloe was what made Max better...and then let her die just makes no sense. It really sucks that the town got destroyed, but I think in the end we know that Arcadia Bay was a super-hosed up place. Hopefully more people than just Max and Chloe survived, but even if they didn't I'm still okay with my choice...although I hope that Kate and Victoria don't die. I was really hoping Victoria would factor more in the ending and they'd dig deeper into the whole "Victoria is only a bitch because she's so insecure" thing.

As far as Kate, I didn't save her in my playthrough and I audibly gasped when she jumped. I figured it was just something where you'd save her and she'd like you, or someone else would save her and nothing would really change. But what got to me was that the last thing I said was "what about your mom?", forgetting that her mom hates her, and she then immediately jumped off the roof. that was...tough.

I also euthanized alternate-reality Chloe...but only after picking "I don't know" and agonizing over the choice for probably 5 minutes or so. God drat was that hard.

I also felt super horrible for telling David that Chloe died. You saw hints throughout the game that he really does love his step-daughter (for example the birthday card you can see he got her way back in Episode 2? 3?) but seeing him break down with "all I ever do is lose!" and killing Jefferson...Jesus. I really wanted to re-wind that one, but when playing I made it a rule that I would only re-wind if I really badly hosed up (like getting Frank's dog killed).

I feel satisfied enough with my decision that I didn't even go back and see the other choice for the ending. I'm hoping they do another season of this, as it's blown all the stuff Telltale has done out of the water. I've had Season 2 of Walking Dead and the GoT game sitting in my library but I don't know if I even want to play them now, given how much better this game was than Walking Dead. Are there any other similar narrative-heavy games I can dive into?

Oh and I loved the poo poo out of this soundtrack, as the music was the exact kind of stuff I listened to when I was Max's age. Because I'm an Old who still likes purchasing music, I went on iTunes and got all the music that was on the Spotify playlist.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Nameless Pete posted:

Your sister is a liar

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

axeil posted:

Just played through this and wow, I was really impressed.

Ended up saving Chloe. My logic being that to have gone through all that stuff and realizing that Chloe was what made Max better...and then let her die just makes no sense. It really sucks that the town got destroyed, but I think in the end we know that Arcadia Bay was a super-hosed up place. Hopefully more people than just Max and Chloe survived, but even if they didn't I'm still okay with my choice...although I hope that Kate and Victoria don't die. I was really hoping Victoria would factor more in the ending and they'd dig deeper into the whole "Victoria is only a bitch because she's so insecure" thing.

As far as Kate, I didn't save her in my playthrough and I audibly gasped when she jumped. I figured it was just something where you'd save her and she'd like you, or someone else would save her and nothing would really change. But what got to me was that the last thing I said was "what about your mom?", forgetting that her mom hates her, and she then immediately jumped off the roof. that was...tough.

I also euthanized alternate-reality Chloe...but only after picking "I don't know" and agonizing over the choice for probably 5 minutes or so. God drat was that hard.

I also felt super horrible for telling David that Chloe died. You saw hints throughout the game that he really does love his step-daughter (for example the birthday card you can see he got her way back in Episode 2? 3?) but seeing him break down with "all I ever do is lose!" and killing Jefferson...Jesus. I really wanted to re-wind that one, but when playing I made it a rule that I would only re-wind if I really badly hosed up (like getting Frank's dog killed).

I feel satisfied enough with my decision that I didn't even go back and see the other choice for the ending. I'm hoping they do another season of this, as it's blown all the stuff Telltale has done out of the water. I've had Season 2 of Walking Dead and the GoT game sitting in my library but I don't know if I even want to play them now, given how much better this game was than Walking Dead. Are there any other similar narrative-heavy games I can dive into?

Oh and I loved the poo poo out of this soundtrack, as the music was the exact kind of stuff I listened to when I was Max's age. Because I'm an Old who still likes purchasing music, I went on iTunes and got all the music that was on the Spotify playlist.

I don't think I have even looked up what it looks like when Kate jumps. It was tense as hell when she was up the ledge and I was so happy when we were able to talk her down.

I hear you on The Telltale games, we went from LIS to a playthrough of The Walking Dead Season 1 which is rough in comparison. But thats understandable as it is an older game and it was still excellent.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Robiben posted:

I don't think I have even looked up what it looks like when Kate jumps. It was tense as hell when she was up the ledge and I was so happy when we were able to talk her down.

I hear you on The Telltale games, we went from LIS to a playthrough of The Walking Dead Season 1 which is rough in comparison. But thats understandable as it is an older game and it was still excellent.

Kate jumping is what I think took this game from "really good" to "incredible." The entire mood of the game shifts and I can really see it being motivation for Max to never, ever gently caress up again when she has the chance to save someone. I can't even imagine playing the game without her dead, because Kate dying is the wake-up call for everyone in the game and it gives Max a reason to keep hunting down Nathan because now she lost a friend the same way Chloe did

Another Episode 5 thing that I was thinking, which sort of spawned a whole lot of other thoughts: I was so heartbroken when Victoria ended up in the Dark Room with me. You're supposed to think telling Victoria is the right thing, and I think only 7% of players just didn't tell her at all because Victoria may be a huge bitch but bitch or not, she does not deserve to get drugged and murdered. The fact that your warning is what sends her there, it's yet another item that shows how Max has to use her powers now and pushed me towards saving Chloe. It seems like no matter what she does, Max is making the world worse, but at the end of the game its clear that if she chooses to do nothing, yes Arcadia Bay will be destroyed, but Max will have saved Chloe. She finally, finally won't have hosed up. The entire point of the alternate universe is that Max needs to see that even if poo poo gets hosed up, you can still fix it.

Let me explain a little more. Max saves William, but in turn she paralyzes Chloe and condemns her to die a slow, agonizing death. But then she shows back up and she has to make a choice similar to the one she makes at the end of the game. On the one hand, she can do nothing. Chloe will live for a bit, yes but she is going to die and it's going to be brutal. Worse, this is the only chance Chloe will ever have to die the way she wants. She all but admits she has no friends and there's no way her parents will ever do it. So it's Max or nothing. For Max to chose not to kill her, she's saying that she can't intervene and right the wrong she's done. That's why she's got to kill Chloe. It's her way of apologizing for ruining Chloe's life, and just like at the end of the game, she's the only one who can do it.

To take it all back to the ending, Max is again presented with the same choice, except it's now flipped. She can do something: go back in time one last time and kill Chloe and save the town, or do nothing and let Chloe live. But the stakes are so, so much higher now as there's no alternate reality, no ability to try and iterate and improve on it. This is it. So if you're Max and you've already made this choice once, what do you do? Personally, I think you can make really good arguments for both which is why the ending was absolutely amazing and not a flop like a lot of people are arguing.

To argue for saving Arcadia Bay, you're arguing that ultimately letting Chloe live was the right call back in Episode 4. Everyone else and what they wanted mattered more than the pain Chloe was in and her desires, which is a tough pill for me to swallow, but one I can see the merit in because that's the sort of thing we see every day in real life. That sometimes we have to make choices that suck for us or our friends personally to help out the greater good. Hell, it's the entire reason society exists.

But thankfully we're in a narrative so we don't have to follow those rules of society.

To whit, if you argue for saving Chloe at the end of the game, you're arguing in line with killing Chloe in Episode 4. In Episode 4 by killing Chloe you're arguing that its not that Chloe's desires override everyone else's but that Chloe being paralyzed is all Max's fault, and you must give her this chance for penitence, even if the cost is horrific. Even if it means Chloe's family suffers a worse fate than William dying, that of having their only child die.

Thinking about it now, I think another way of framing the question at the end of the game would be: "Do you think the alternate universe should have become the prime universe?" And there's no easy answers. On the one hand, Chloe's family is still intact but they're being ripped apart internally. Chloe's bills are already seen destroying her family, and her slow, agonizing death are going to end up driving William and Joyce apart. Thus, even though Max tried to help by saving William she damned her family to an even worse fate. But yet...they had an extra 5 years together they wouldn't have had otherwise. Are those 5 years worth all the pain they'll experience after Chloe's accident? I don't know, but I don't think so. So if given the choice, I would've stuck with the prime timeline. And similarly, to undo everything that Max has done is the same as her trying to go back and save William. Having seen what horrific costs something so benign can impose, I just can't justify her giving time alteration one last shot

And that was a whole shitload of words justifying why I think I made the right call with my ending...but I'm really curious to see other people's justifications. I think it'd be really interesting for someone to go around and interview people about why they choose the endings they choose in games like this. I think it could tell us very interesting things about how people see themselves and the world in a way other studies cannot.

edit: one last thought I think a better ending may have been "save Chloe or catch Jefferson". I know I would've struggled way more with that than the choice we were given (even though I still struggled with it)

axeil fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 25, 2016

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

axeil posted:

Kate jumping is what I think took this game from "really good" to "incredible." The entire mood of the game shifts and I can really see it being motivation for Max to never, ever gently caress up again when she has the chance to save someone. I can't even imagine playing the game without her dead, because Kate dying is the wake-up call for everyone in the game and it gives Max a reason to keep hunting down Nathan because now she lost a friend the same way Chloe did

I had the same thought after screwing that part up on my first run. Losing Kate really drives home that whole consequences thing, not just for Max, but for all the other characters who put her up on that roof, and that never stops punching you in the gut as the series continues. For me, it also pays off all the foreshadowing Episode 2 puts in place about the practical limit of Max's powers in a way that a last-minute save doesn't quite match, which in turn gave me more to think about when I had to make similarly world-shattering decisions later on.

I'm glad I saved her on my second run, but that original loss is something that will stick with me for a very, very long time.

That said, the little extra scene you get at the hospital if you save Kate features a very valuable moment of redemption for Chloe that doesn't quite have a direct counterpart on the other path.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Delsaber posted:

That said, the little extra scene you get at the hospital if you save Kate features a very valuable moment of redemption for Chloe that doesn't quite have a direct counterpart on the other path.

What happens in the scene?

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

axeil posted:

And that was a whole shitload of words justifying why I think I made the right call with my ending...but I'm really curious to see other people's justifications. I think it'd be really interesting for someone to go around and interview people about why they choose the endings they choose in games like this. I think it could tell us very interesting things about how people see themselves and the world in a way other studies cannot.

I routinely tell people that the game gets "good" at the end of episode 2 and its because of the Kate Scene. I loved it from the start but that when it got super intense and we didn't put it down until we finished it. Also Kate Surviving for me showed that Max was using her powers for good and could actually make a difference.

But my ending was the Sacrifice Chloe ending. Besides it being the "morally correct" ending, I also took it as Max growing up and accepting that you cant change some things and save everyone. Sort of like a coming of age story. If you choose to save Chloe you are selfishly sacrificing everyone else in town for your best friend/true love. It was still a hard decision and reading posts like yours in this thread made me swing more in favour of Save Chloe, but I still stand by the option I chose.

I'd recommend reading back a few pages if you want more ending discussion. It felt like there was a large number of people who hated the ending but there is still some good posts in this thread.

Important question: What was your stance on Warren?

axeil posted:

What happens in the scene?

I can't remember if this is what that poster means but I think in the scene Chloe gets really apologetic about being rude when Kate calls.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Robiben posted:

Important question: What was your stance on Warren?

My Max wanted to go ape and left cute messages on his white board and kissed him (but not Chloe)

I'm sorry goons :negative:

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 25, 2016

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

axeil posted:

My Max wanted to go ape and left cute messages on his white board and kissed him (but not Chloe)

I'm sorry goons :negative:

WHAT!?!

We kissed Chloe but also kissed Warren. Warren is awkward but deep down he's a good kid. Except for that time that he creepily looks in Max's window while she is in her Pyjamas.

In the other ending if you go fully into the Chloe thing you get a really nice scene of them kissing in the rain after they have said their goodbyes. Really touching scene. Especially with what comes after it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Robiben posted:

WHAT!?!

We kissed Chloe but also kissed Warren. Warren is awkward but deep down he's a good kid. Except for that time that he creepily looks in Max's window while she is in her Pyjamas.

:stare: wut

well that's uh...creepy. Never saw that happen or it would've really shifted my opinion of him. I saw him as generally a good, if geeky and a little bit awkward. Kinda like me (and probably a lot of other people) in high school. Since he wasn't that bad a kid and he and Max genuinely seemed attracted to each other I thought it right for them to have some romance :unsmith:

But since Chloe's bisexual and Max is well I'm not sure if she knows if she likes boys or girls or both, I think you can support her ending up with Chloe too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

axeil posted:

:stare: wut

well that's uh...creepy. Never saw that happen or it would've really shifted my opinion of him. I saw him as generally a good, if geeky and a little bit awkward. Kinda like me (and probably a lot of other people) in high school. Since he wasn't that bad a kid and he and Max genuinely seemed attracted to each other I thought it right for them to have some romance :unsmith:

But since Chloe's bisexual and Max is well I'm not sure if she knows if she likes boys or girls or both, I think you can support her ending up with Chloe too.

It's before he asks you to go ape, he wasn't actually spying on you in your pajamas so much as doing a check to see if you'd left your room left because he was super excited about asking you.

axeil posted:

Oddly enough, LiS is only in my number two spot for this sort of game, and the one to beat it was a Telltale game! Tales from the Borderlands is literally the best game Telltale has ever made. I liked Walking Dead Season 2 (I actually loved the ending, it was a series of hard but meaningful choices with lots of stuff changing depending on things you did all the way back since Season 1) but LiS is better than it... but Tales from the Borderlands is arguably better than LiS! (Though a very very very different tone what with being an adventure comedy)

Don't play GoT it is really bad.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 25, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

It's before he asks you to go ape, he wasn't actually spying on you in your pajamas so much as doing a check to see if you'd left your room left because he was super excited about asking you.

Aww that's adorable :3: and it's the interpretation I'm going with because Warren's too chill to be kinda creepy.

GlyphGryph posted:

Oddly enough, LiS is only in my number two spot for this sort of game, and the one to beat it was a Telltale game! Tales from the Borderlands is literally the best game Telltale has ever made. I liked Walking Dead Season 2 (I actually loved the ending, it was a series of hard but meaningful choices with lots of stuff changing depending on things you did all the way back since Season 1) but LiS is better than it... but Tales from the Borderlands is arguably better than LiS! (Though a very very very different tone what with being an adventure comedy)

I had GoT sitting in my library unplayed and put in a refund request because of how horrible I've heard it is. I played Borderlands 2 and liked it, so maybe I'll use the money to buy Tales From the Borderlands instead. Still have to play through Season 2 of the Walking Dead which I've put off for a while because my Walking Dead Season 1 save got hosed up and didn't import correctly :smith:

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Seconding the Tales From the Borderlands endorsement. It includes a robot so cute she makes BB-8 look like Frank Reynolds.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Well sadly steam denied my refund request so i guess i'll just never play GoT. Probably will save Tales From the Borderlands for the next Steam sale.

I've heard that Undertale has a good narrative too and I have that sitting in my library along with Alan Wake, Dear Esther, The Talos Principle and the aforementioned Walking Dead Season 2. Any ideas on which of those to start with if I'm looking for good narrative?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
While it never produced the all-out bawling that LIS did, Talos Principle did get me a little misty towards the end. If you're still in "I just played Life Is Strange and I want to hang on to this sadness" mode, I'd recommend going with that one. It's also hands down the best game on that list from a mechanical perspective.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

axeil posted:

Well sadly steam denied my refund request so i guess i'll just never play GoT. Probably will save Tales From the Borderlands for the next Steam sale.

I've heard that Undertale has a good narrative too and I have that sitting in my library along with Alan Wake, Dear Esther, The Talos Principle and the aforementioned Walking Dead Season 2. Any ideas on which of those to start with if I'm looking for good narrative?
Play Undertale.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

GlyphGryph posted:

Hahah I'd never thought of the Warren thing as him just seeing if you had left your room. That's actually super sweet.

But its funny I feel like a bunch of people have recommended Tales from the Borderlands as one of the best Telltale games. I was suprised as well because the story in the Borderlands games are absolute trash but I hear nothing but amazing things for Tales. Its a definite purchase for me just waiting till I can play it with my partner.

axeil posted:

This is quite a good list of games.

Talos is a great puzzle game with a really great story as well. I also found it relaxing as the music and scenery really chilled me out. I didn't think Talos was sad like Nameless Pete but I guess it does have a melancholy feel to it sometimes?

Depending on how you play Undertale it can be really upbeat. I played it right after I finished LIS and it was a really nice counterpoint to my ending which was pretty sad. But yes Undertale is great!

Alan Wake feels pretty Twin Peaks at times. Its an action game as well so be prepared for that. That said I really liked it and I played it on Hard for more challenge.

Can't comment on the other 2 but they are all good options. I also played Gone Home right after Undertale, thats another good story game if you haven't played it.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Robiben posted:

Can't comment on the other 2 but they are all good options. I also played Gone Home right after Undertale, thats another good story game if you haven't played it.

Oh yeah, Gone Home is absolutely the 2nd best bittersweet character study adventure game about lesbian teenagers in rural Oregon. It's kind of like that one summer when we had the two asteroid movies.

E:I like to imagine Max, Chloe, Samantha and Lonnie having equal stakes in LA's hippest lesbian bar. It goes great right up until they lose their liquor license because Chloe refuses to card anybody.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 25, 2016

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

axeil posted:

I chose to save Chloe. My reasons for this run pretty deep. Feel free to skip the next few paragraphs if you'd rather be spared Potentially Uncomfortable Insight Into Plom Bar's Personal Life.

When I was 4, my mom started leaving me with a day sitter who had a daughter of her own that was my age, and we quickly became best friends. We eventually started going to school together, and as we hit our preteens, we both ended up pretty low on the playground pecking order. But I was slightly higher than her, and because I was a little poo poo, I essentially ditched her as a friend in a misguided effort to boost my own social standing. And for a time, it worked. Then, in the summer of her 12th birthday, she was diagnosed with cancer, and after some years it metastasized to her spine and lungs. So for a time, it was chemotherapy, long hospital stays, surgeries, the whole nine, and on rare occasions where she did make it to school, it was usually in a wheelchair. We had reconnected, but I can't honestly say that we ever truly reconciled, and it wasn't long before she was admitted into the hospital for what everyone knew would be the last time.

I wish I could say that I had a good reason for never going to visit her. Or, even a reason at all. The simple, stupid truth is that I just never found the time. She died at 15, and I just couldn't find the time to say good bye, to tell her that I was sorry for abandoning her, or to tell her that I loved her.

The story doesn't end there, because of course it doesn't. She was left out of the yearbook at our High School. I can't say that I blame them; after all, she had only been attending classes for about a month of her first year with the school, not really long enough to make a huge impression on anyone who didn't know her before High School. In just a few short years, she had been mostly forgotten by our town. But never by me.

I think about her a lot. I'm not so vain as to assume that any of her last thoughts were about me specifically, but I still wonder if she thought about me at all. I've lost more people close to me since then, because that's a thing that starts happening when you're an adult, but none has affected me quite the way this one did.

So you can imagine how it might have affected me when Episode 4 of this game comes along and we see a timeline in which Max can't be bothered to check in on her childhood best friend as her life draws near to its painful, premature end.

The first time you see Chloe in the bathroom, she's more alone than she's ever been in her life. Her loving father is long dead, her mother has married an angry, abusive man and brought him into their home, her best friend stopped talking to her five years ago, and the girl she's in love with seems to have vanished without a trace. She dies, alone, never knowing how Max truly felt about her or how grateful she was for their time together.

It's not a mistake you make twice.

TL;DR: Plom Bar projects her relationship with a childhood friend unto Max and Chloe (and should probably talk to a psychologist about that); rationalizes sacrificing many for the one as a result.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I saved Chloe because I liked her better than a town full of dumb fuckers who didn't look at a huge tornado and say 'maybe we should go somewhere else for a bit?'

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This double moon sure is wacky! And the dying animals everywhere, right? Anyway, let's get back to this party before we go back to our individual sex slavery rings that we all own

Robiben posted:

Warren is awkward but deep down he's a good kid.
in the life is strange universe, everyone deep down is a horrible monster, IMO. warren probably has terabytes of illegal porn on his computer

by destroying arcadia bay you are actually saving the rest of the world from a potential generation of villains and predators rising up

the canon ending IMO should have been chloe coming with max to san francisco to kick off max's budding career while scumtown USA is pulled deep down into hell

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 25, 2016

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Something occurred to me. The story starts on October 7, 2013, a weirdly brief amount of time go back from the present. I always figured it was a last minute script alteration to account for Chloe's marijuana not actually being illegal in Oregon anymore, but then I thought of something. The only time we see Chloe's family not being hounded by creditors is when Max goes back in time five years, which would put it just days prior to the '08 market crash. The surprise villain reveal wasn't Mr. Jefferson. It was Wall Street.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://youtu.be/qUN_deqYEqc

Behind the scenes and brief gameplay footage of Don't Knod's next game Vampyr

Gameplay wise, it looks like they've taken some inspiration from...Bloodbourne?!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

axeil posted:

edit: one last thought I think a better ending may have been "save Chloe or catch Jefferson". I know I would've struggled way more with that than the choice we were given (even though I still struggled with it)

Ah yes, the Breath of Fire IV ending.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ah yes, the Breath of Fire IV ending.

And Saints Row 3, for that matter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Behind the scenes and brief gameplay footage of Don't Knod's next game Vampyr

Gameplay wise, it looks like they've taken some inspiration from...Bloodbourne?!

I'm hype and yeah that combat looked pretty Souls-y

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
More cool concept art stuff. Some of this looks pretty new:

http://80.lv/articles/life-is-strange-concept-artist-talks-about-art/

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Happened across this, thought some people here might like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN9TucT5gfk

Not bad for fan work, and I think the red folders usage was kind of clever. Even a little tiny epilogue like this actually being in the game would have gone a long way towards giving that ending the closure that it really seems to lack.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Happened across this, thought some people here might like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN9TucT5gfk

Not bad for fan work, and I think the red folders usage was kind of clever. Even a little tiny epilogue like this actually being in the game would have gone a long way towards giving that ending the closure that it really seems to lack.

And remember, Max on Warren is the real OTP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Robiben posted:

I also don't see it as Max losing her happiness in the Kill Chloe ending, she loses her Love/Friendship with Chloe but is a better person and presumably will be happy in the future. She is smiling at the end after all.

max has gone through an almost unfathomable amount of emotional trauma in the past weekish, i get the impression that no matter what ending you pick, she's probably hosed for a long time

the game is really bleak but i love it anyways

edit: i thought about this some more and i think the voice acting during warren's photo where she's basically breaking down trying to get chloe to listen to her (about jefferson, max's abuse, chloe dying) was some of the best ive ever heard in a video game

the va for this game in general is phenomenal

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 15, 2016

• Locked thread