Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

First episode of the new War Doctor audio is already a tremendous step up from the first audio (which I enjoyed) and looks to be starting to play around with the concept of,"Incredibly weird poo poo" which is a relief.

Or maybe I'm just blinded by the fact that the villain is played by David Warner :swoon:

David Warner?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Trin Tragula posted:

OTOH, if JN-T hadn't got carried away with playing to the adoring fanbase and taking conventions to America, he could have moved on with no problem at all when Peter Davison left, while the show was still popular enough for another BBC producer to have wanted to take the job...

I still think that it would have struggled in that period even if someone else was in charge: the problem wasn't so much JNT but the fact that lots of the BBC execs didn't like Doctor Who and felt that it didn't match with what they were trying to do at the time

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Part three of my Big Finish-athon. The first Humble Bundle made me think it was mostly going to be mediocre. This is proper Doctor Who, though. Really ambitious.

Loups-Garoux
In the not-so-distant future, the Doctor encounters German werewolves on a train near Rio de Janeiro. The werewolves are scary antagonists, the setting feels well developed. For a story that juggles so many disparate elements, it comes together well enough. Sometimes it just feels like they could have gotten there in a less roundabout way. Pieter Stubbe's Sir Ron Lionheart impression earns this one a bonus point. 4/5

Colditz
The idea of stealing the Doctor's Tardis is intriguing, and Klein feels like a credible threat. It's a shame the story loses its momentum over the course of multiple meaningless escape attempts and the clumsy explanation of what is actually going on. David Tennant as Kurtz adjusts his talent to his horribly flat character. 2/5

Let's fool this Nazi into thinking I'm German posted:

Ich glaubte, ich etwas auf der Terrasse hörte.
(I believed I something heard on the patio.)
:thumbsup: (Admittedly, this was the only time they screwed up, as far as I can tell.)

Storm Warning
Starts off really strong, but the final encounter with the aliens just falls flat. Why do the Triskele have such a horrible excuse for a government? They are introduced so late in the story that it's impossible to care, either way. 2/5

The Chimes of Midnight (Second Impression)
Storm Warning and the second season did little to change my first impression. There is no amount of buildup or payoff that could save this jumbled mess. Chimes tries to be all about Edith, but even Charley's nameless boyfriend from Storm Warning has a more permanent presence in the season than her. The house as a third aristocratic force that uses Edith for its own gain needlessly complicates things even further. Her final victory over her partially self-imposed oppression comes off as barely credible. 2/5

Seasons of Fear
You spend centuries thinking up some grand scheme, and then he screws you over, and takes off. All enemies of the Doctor must feel like Grayle. It's almost tempting to root for the guy. Actually brilliant! (Is this where A Christmas Carol got its resolution from?) 5/5

Embrace the Darkness
A seemingly horrifying enemy turns out to be pretty reasonable. A seemingly reasonable computer turns out to be a giant pain in the rear end. Classic Doctor Who done really well! The Doctor completely misjudging the situation multiple times is really refreshing. 4/5

The Time of the Daleks
Time finds an inspired excuse to have the Daleks quote Shakespeare a bunch. It's hilarious. Learman's characterisation is a bit lazy and predictable. Still suspenseful, but not much more. 3/5

Neverland
Really ambitious concept executed brilliantly. Rassilon makes for a fascinating twisted creator figure. It's easy to forget how powerful he can be when Tennant or Capaldi are beating him at every turn. The Neverpeople are such great villains that I'll gladly ignore the hamfisted attempt at cramming in Peter Pan. 5/5

Zagreus
With everybody's identity split and twisted, there is no sense of permanence to the characters' actions. Since everything is fake, anyway, there is also no tangible sense of threat. Cheap drama drawn out over four hours. 1/5

Scherzo
Completely unlike anything I've heard or seen before on Doctor Who. This third attempt at a sound monster dips deep into Freudian horror. Stripping the characters of every sensation, and finally twisting even their last comforts is devious. The slow evolution of the creature and the overbearing sense of vulnerability are incredible. I need to check out Rob Shearman's other work. 5/5

Season Two kind of botches its conclusion, but I'm still on board for more McGann, especially after the nightmare-inducing Scherzo. (Only if they drop the price some more, though.)

And More fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 23, 2016

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

You may genuinely be the first person to ever give Time of the Daleks a higher score than Chimes of Midnight.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

vegetables posted:

You may genuinely be the first person to ever give Time of the Daleks a higher score than Chimes of Midnight.

Time of the Daleks is pleasant and safe. Chimes gets a harsher treatment because there is something really good buried in there. I could write you an essay on why I find it so incredibly disappointing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

David Warner?!?

Indeed, fresh from his 12(22) and 22(33) against New Zealand

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

I still think that it would have struggled in that period even if someone else was in charge: the problem wasn't so much JNT but the fact that lots of the BBC execs didn't like Doctor Who and felt that it didn't match with what they were trying to do at the time

Attempts were made to get rid of Red Dwarf as well, but it survived by emphasising that it was a sitcom that happened to have a sci-fi setting rather than a sci-fi series that happened to be a sitcom.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

IceAgeComing posted:

It's probably fair to say that something like The Twin Dilemma doesn't match with anything anyone was trying to do at the time.

The majority of the problems with mid-80s Who - e.g. the show being aimed at fans rather than the general public; too many pedestrian directors who were able to get the show recorded and delivered ASAP, as long as you didn't mind it looking like an episode of Are You Being Served; only using tried and tested writers if there was absolutely no other alternative; astonishingly one-dimensional companions; an insistence on all jokes being removed from scripts; the Doctor wearing the same thing every week (complete with silly question marks on everything), and so on - were all decisions made by JNT. Nobody forced him to put Colin in that coat. Nobody pointed a gun at him and ordered him to produce Warriors of the Deep, when they only had 2 weeks to do it in and he should have known that wasn't long enough.

Any producer taking over Dr Who in 1980 would have had a huge challenge on their hands, sure, but the likes of Attack of the Cybermen and Timelash are completely self-inflicted wounds.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I disagree with you on Colditz and The Chimes of Midnight, and would rank The Time of the Daleks lower because of some incredible padding. But otherwise we’re in complete agreement.

The “your eyes, they’re gone” cliffhanger in Embrace the Darkness is still one of my favorite Big Finish cliffhangers ever, and the Oubliette of Eternity in Neverland still gives me chills.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-23/doctor-who-set-to-return-to-the-us-on-amazon-prime

Doctor Who will not be reappearing on Netflix.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CobiWann posted:

I disagree with you on Colditz and The Chimes of Midnight, and would rank The Time of the Daleks lower because of some incredible padding. But otherwise we’re in complete agreement.

The “your eyes, they’re gone” cliffhanger in Embrace the Darkness is still one of my favorite Big Finish cliffhangers ever, and the Oubliette of Eternity in Neverland still gives me chills.

Honestly, Colditz could probably just as well be a 3/5. The interactions between Klein and the Doctor are great, of course. That on its own is really good. There is just way too much focus on the attempt to escape from the prison even though it's pretty clear that it isn't going to amount to much. Ace's development is decent enough, but it's only really a big deal if you're expecting complete stagnation. I genuinely didn't notice any padding in Time of the Daleks, though. Chimes we're just gonna have to disagree on. I just don't like its conclusion.

I actually bought Loups-Garoux and Colditz specifically because of your review scores since I figured we had similar tastes. (I usually read them in their entirety after I'm done.) It's good stuff. :)

The second season has some of the most upsetting moments in all of Doctor Who, if you ask me. Rob Shearman sticks out, in particular. Everything I've heard by him so far has gone to some really messed uo places. The Oubliette from Neverland is especially creepy because Romana talks about it so matter-of-factly.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've said it before but my big problem with Time of the Daleks is kind of a bad audio editing job, a lot of people sounded the same on first listen and I was never quite clear where everything is. There was certainly no impression given of the size of anywhere.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

And More posted:

I need to check out Rob Shearman's other work. 5/5

:eyepop:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

If we're talking about Big Finish stuff the Jago & Litefoot series I've listened to are absolutely fantastic and well worth picking up. They're on the expensive side of Big Finish stuff (£30 per set) but the first few series at least are almost perfect in every way - excellent scripts, a fantastic permanent cast (especially Baxter and Benjamin, but Lisa Bowerman and Conrad Asquith are also very good) and generally very good and the sound design very is excellent and fits the sort of stories that they are telling. They'll occasionally put them on sale, and the Companion Chronicle that sparked the thing is relatively cheap and very good, its a Companion Chronicle so it only uses two actors but its done so well that it doesn't hurt the thing at all. There's also Jago, Litefoot and Strax which is the normal price for a monthly release: it adds in Strax from the new series and I've heard good things about it, although I've not listened to it yet so can't comment more strongly than that. Its probably the most consistently good Big Finish range in that so far (I'm just starting series 3) there hasn't been any total stinkers yet: in fact there hasn't really been a bad episode...

pinacotheca posted:

It's probably fair to say that something like The Twin Dilemma doesn't match with anything anyone was trying to do at the time.

The majority of the problems with mid-80s Who - e.g. the show being aimed at fans rather than the general public; too many pedestrian directors who were able to get the show recorded and delivered ASAP, as long as you didn't mind it looking like an episode of Are You Being Served; only using tried and tested writers if there was absolutely no other alternative; astonishingly one-dimensional companions; an insistence on all jokes being removed from scripts; the Doctor wearing the same thing every week (complete with silly question marks on everything), and so on - were all decisions made by JNT. Nobody forced him to put Colin in that coat. Nobody pointed a gun at him and ordered him to produce Warriors of the Deep, when they only had 2 weeks to do it in and he should have known that wasn't long enough.

Any producer taking over Dr Who in 1980 would have had a huge challenge on their hands, sure, but the likes of Attack of the Cybermen and Timelash are completely self-inflicted wounds.

honestly i can agree with most of those problems with that era of Doctor Who, although it seemed to especially fall off the rails when Baker got made the Doctor. Although my understanding was that lots of the reliance on the history of the programme was more of a Saward thing rather than JNT: as was the increasing violence that happened pre-hiatus which was one of the reasons used to rest the thing. Its interesting that the last few years of Doctor Who don't really have them; perhaps that could be because JNT deferred a lot more to Cartmel or that something changed in the way that he handled things.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

And More posted:

I actually bought Loups-Garoux and Colditz specifically because of your review scores since I figured we had similar tastes. (I usually read them in their entirety after I'm done.) It's good stuff. :)

Woohoo! I'm useful!

Loups-Garoux is a personal favorite of mine, partially because I'm a Turlough fanboy, partially because I grew up playing Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and partially because the scene where the the Fifth Doctor stammers and get flustered when turning down the Carnival dancer while Turlough is in the background cracking up is one of my favorite scenes in all of Who.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

IceAgeComing posted:

honestly i can agree with most of those problems with that era of Doctor Who, although it seemed to especially fall off the rails when Baker got made the Doctor. Although my understanding was that lots of the reliance on the history of the programme was more of a Saward thing rather than JNT

Ian Levine was doing his fan advisor thing very soon after JN-T got his feet under the desk; he was in there well before Saward (IIRC the first major thing he got done was the haunting faces during the Logopolis regeneration).

quote:

Its interesting that the last few years of Doctor Who don't really have them; perhaps that could be because JNT deferred a lot more to Cartmel or that something changed in the way that he handled things.

What happened is that the fanbase and the fan press (who JN-T had taken great delight in playing to, giving long interviews to fanzines in the production office) turned on him and the show after Colin's first year, and he didn't take it very well at all; and then that coincided with a new script editor who wanted to go a different way. There's a reason Cartmel and Stephen Wyatt came up with the idea for The Greatest Show in the Galaxy and the Whizzkid character in particular, it's exactly the sort of thing they'd think up after hanging around the production office for a year in 1987.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

IceAgeComing posted:

It was definitely the case that JNT desperately wanted to move on, but BBC 1 controller Jonathan Powell wouldn't replace him because he didn't want him on any other shows, hoping he would run the series into the ground and give them an excuse to axe it.

JNT might have made some poor choices in his time on Dr Who, but let's not forget Powell's idea of quality TV was loving Eldorado. Funny how he didn't stay long at the BBC after that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

And More posted:

Neverland
Really ambitious concept executed brilliantly. Rassilon makes for a fascinating twisted creator figure. It's easy to forget how powerful he can be when Tennant or Capaldi are beating him at every turn. The Neverpeople are such great villains that I'll gladly ignore the hamfisted attempt at cramming in Peter Pan. 5/5

Zagreus
With everybody's identity split and twisted, there is no sense of permanence to the characters' actions. Since everything is fake, anyway, there is also no tangible sense of threat. Cheap drama drawn out over four hours. 1/5

Scherzo
Completely unlike anything I've heard or seen before on Doctor Who. This third attempt at a sound monster dips deep into Freudian horror. Stripping the characters of every sensation, and finally twisting even their last comforts is devious. The slow evolution of the creature and the overbearing sense of vulnerability are incredible. I need to check out Rob Shearman's other work. 5/5

These three are such a great example of the rollercoaster ride that Big Finish can be. Neverland is a big "arc" story leading into the big finale episode for the "season" and it does an amazing job of setting the stage.... and then Zagreus is a giant bloated mess whose only concern seems to be stuffing as many actors in as possible for a big anniversary special. But then Scherzo is this amazing experimental piece that is extraordinarily intimate and sticks with you for days (or did for me anyway).

The only really bad thing about Scherzo is that it sets high expectations for the rest of the Divergent Universe storyline which none of the episodes ever manage to meet. But then again, if Scherzo has only been good it still would have set higher expectations than the rest of the Divergent Universe storyline could meet :sigh:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Indeed, fresh from his 12(22) and 22(33) against New Zealand

There's nothing he can't do! :swoon:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

If we're talking about Big Finish stuff the Jago & Litefoot series I've listened to are absolutely fantastic and well worth picking up. They're on the expensive side of Big Finish stuff (£30 per set) but the first few series at least are almost perfect in every way - excellent scripts, a fantastic permanent cast (especially Baxter and Benjamin, but Lisa Bowerman and Conrad Asquith are also very good) and generally very good and the sound design very is excellent and fits the sort of stories that they are telling. They'll occasionally put them on sale, and the Companion Chronicle that sparked the thing is relatively cheap and very good, its a Companion Chronicle so it only uses two actors but its done so well that it doesn't hurt the thing at all. There's also Jago, Litefoot and Strax which is the normal price for a monthly release: it adds in Strax from the new series and I've heard good things about it, although I've not listened to it yet so can't comment more strongly than that. Its probably the most consistently good Big Finish range in that so far (I'm just starting series 3) there hasn't been any total stinkers yet: in fact there hasn't really been a bad episode...

I've just finished series 8 (only two more left :stonk: ) and all this still applies, it's by far my favorite series Big Finish makes. So far from what I recall there have only been a couple of duds, but even those weren't exactly bad, just more along the lines of "Well that was a pretty strange decision for them to make." Honestly the least interesting stories are the ones where the Doctor shows up, which thankfully only consists of one full series and two special releases. Even though I get that they're DW spin-off characters, it seems like they're at their best when they're as far away from Doctor Who as possible. . Also, outside of that series they also appear in "The Worlds of Doctor Who" and "The Last Adventure" (which I have not listened to) and the 4th Doctor story "The Justice of Jalxar" (which I HAVE listened to, and it was fantastic). I hope Benjamin and Baxter keep doing these stories for as long as they live, and given how much they seem to enjoy it they just might.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Did we ever find out what happened to those two missing years of Jack Harkness' memories?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

There's a reason Cartmel and Stephen Wyatt came up with the idea for The Greatest Show in the Galaxy and the Whizzkid character in particular, it's exactly the sort of thing they'd think up after hanging around the production office for a year in 1987.

That takedown is so great because everyone can look at the character and go " :smug: Glad I'm not one of those fans" whether they are or not.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Dabir posted:

I've said it before but my big problem with Time of the Daleks is kind of a bad audio editing job, a lot of people sounded the same on first listen and I was never quite clear where everything is. There was certainly no impression given of the size of anywhere.

Yeah, I notice that stuff from time to time. It probably didn't stand out to me during Time because I was listening to that one on my lovely headphones. There was one instance in Zagreus, though, where an explosion sound simply cut off (probably because it went below what my proper headphones could handle). I mean, c'mon, guys. We can't all be audiophiles.

:ssh: I know, right? Even after everything I've said about Chimes, I'd never for a second doubt Shearman's talent and ambitiousness. I adored The Holy Terror and Scherzo. Two out of three is pretty good. Additionally, I found this review of Chimes while looking for someone who didn't love it. It addresses a bunch of issues I had, but there's also a guy in the comment section who claims to be Shearman. Seems believable enough. He definitely makes some good points, either way.

CobiWann posted:

Loups-Garoux is a personal favorite of mine, partially because I'm a Turlough fanboy, partially because I grew up playing Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and partially because the scene where the the Fifth Doctor stammers and get flustered when turning down the Carnival dancer while Turlough is in the background cracking up is one of my favorite scenes in all of Who.

The initial setup of that play is amazing. It goes naturally from the Doctor and Turlough hanging out to them chasing after a werewolf while also establishing the setting like it's not a big deal.

Jerusalem posted:

These three are such a great example of the rollercoaster ride that Big Finish can be.

The only really bad thing about Scherzo is that it sets high expectations for the rest of the Divergent Universe storyline which none of the episodes ever manage to meet. But then again, if Scherzo has only been good it still would have set higher expectations than the rest of the Divergent Universe storyline could meet :sigh:

Yeah, the whiplash from Zagreus is intense. The entire second season feels like a genuine season of Doctor Who with its seemingly random changes in quality. I'm really glad, though, that Scherzo doesn't hold back. The moment their hands merged was when I knew for sure. That's some serious Harlan Ellison poo poo. It's a good thing you're already warning me about season three, too. Not that I'm expecting every play to be Scherzo, but the difference in price really makes it more of an investment.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 23, 2016

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

This seems as good a time as any to say that Robert Shearman's not-Doctor Who short story collections are very good, and you should all go and check them out if you haven't already.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

vegetables posted:

This seems as good a time as any to say that Robert Shearman's not-Doctor Who short story collections are very good, and you should all go and check them out if you haven't already.

Which one should I check out first?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Castle Radium posted:

It was definitely the case that JNT desperately wanted to move on, but BBC 1 controller Jonathan Powell wouldn't replace him because he didn't want him on any other shows, hoping he would run the series into the ground and give them an excuse to axe it.

I believe JNT's ambition was to do light entertainment, and when he couldn't get out of Doctor Who he decided he'd do light entertainment anyway. Consider, for example, the questionable casting of Beryl Reid as a tough-as-nails Sigourney Weaver type space captain in "Earthshock".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

And More posted:

Yeah, I notice that stuff from time to time. It probably didn't stand out to me during Time because I was listening to that one on my lovely headphones. There was one instance in Zagreus, though, where an explosion sound simply cut off (probably because it went below what my proper headphones could handle). I mean, c'mon, guys. We can't all be audiophiles.

:ssh: I know, right? Even after everything I've said about Chimes, I'd never for a second doubt Shearman's talent and ambitiousness. I adored The Holy Terror and Scherzo. Two out of three is pretty good. Additionally, I found this review of Chimes while looking for someone who didn't love it. It addresses a bunch of issues I had, but there's also a guy in the comment section who claims to be Shearman. Seems believable enough. He definitely makes some good points, either way.

The initial setup of that play is amazing. It goes naturally from the Doctor and Turlough hanging out to them chasing after a werewolf while also establishing the setting like it's not a big deal.

Yeah, the whiplash from Zagreus is intense. The entire second season feels like a genuine season of Doctor Who with its seemingly random changes in quality. I'm really glad, though, that Scherzo doesn't hold back. The moment their hands merged was when I knew for sure. That's some serious Harlan Ellison poo poo. It's a good thing you're already warning me about season three, too. Not that I'm expecting every play to be Scherzo, but the difference in price really makes it more of an investment.

Yeah, that really is Shearman. I know because we hang out occasionally.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

And More posted:

Which one should I check out first?

Maybe Tiny Deaths, which I think is the first one. They do have a tendency to range from melancholy to astoundingly bleak, which I love, but which may be offputting to some.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not that you're boasting or anything.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

what's that? I was just on the phone with my good pal, Steven Moffat

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

cargohills posted:

what's that? I was just on the phone with my good pal, Steven Moffat

Oh yeah, well Ian Levine and I..... oh wait. Scratch that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

For those of you who only know Levine from Doctor Who, I'd like to point out that he was an incredibly influential DJ, songwriter and producer in the 70's and 80's! Somehow

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

yeah, here's one of his best songs imo

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, that really is Shearman. I know because we hang out occasionally.

Quite frankly, I have so little to do with Doctor Who outside of this thread that I can't even tell if you're mocking me.

I just thought the ensuing discussion in the comment section was quite interesting. Doesn't really matter if he's real or not.

vegetables posted:

Maybe Tiny Deaths, which I think is the first one. They do have a tendency to range from melancholy to astoundingly bleak, which I love, but which may be offputting to some.

Thanks! I'll see if I can track it down.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

And More posted:

Quite frankly, I have so little to do with Doctor Who outside of this thread that I can't even tell if you're mocking me.

I just thought the ensuing discussion in the comment section was quite interesting. Doesn't really matter if he's real or not.

Thanks! I'll see if I can track it down.

No it's true. I met him in Summer '14 when I went to the UK and then last summer I caught his play and pointed him at the Night Vale thing, though no sign of success on that front.

He follows me on tumblr for some reason, which is how all that happened.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

And More posted:

Nah man, I feel you. In fact I'll be the guy in this thread to say that I didn't care for The Holy Terror. The story itself was good but I absolutely loathed Frobisher in every way (his voice, his acting, his lovely accent) and I wouldn't listen to The Maltese Penguin even if you paid me.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ok, how about this? What's everyone dirty little Who secret?

I'll start. I liked Eric Roberts' Master.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CobiWann posted:

I don't think Frazer Hines's Troughton impression is very good. :ssh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Nah man, I feel you. In fact I'll be the guy in this thread to say that I didn't care for The Holy Terror. The story itself was good but I absolutely loathed Frobisher in every way (his voice, his acting, his lovely accent) and I wouldn't listen to The Maltese Penguin even if you paid me.

I think Holy Terror is good, but certainly not great, and am a little surprised at the love it gets. For me what really kills it is the kid's voice. It just feels so.... forced.

Similarly I think Spare Parts is pretty good but nowhere near the masterpiece others claim it to be.

Edit: Actually, looking back at my own reviews it seems at the time I listened to it that I really loved Holy Terror, so it's interesting that as time has gone by the story has lessened in my memory while the annoying voice used for the kid has grown as a negative.

CobiWann posted:

When I was 10, me and a friend at school put on a little Doctor Who play and I got to play the Master.

Oh wait, that's not a bad thing, that's loving rad as hell :c00l:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 24, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I am ashamed of none of my Doctor Who opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

CobiWann posted:

I'll start. I liked Eric Roberts' Master.

I have watched and enjoyed Doctor Who. This is bad enough.

• Locked thread