Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

mycot posted:

Late but, man, what do you have against ImpAtom? He's like the least ironic guy in Games.

lol is that supposed to be a compliment? im sure impatom knows i was joking around. maybe get your own irony levels checked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
MOBA is still the only genre where, every single round, I'm told by another teammate how bad I am at games. That happens about half as much in any other genre.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
So in normal games you get called out for being bad every other round? That's pretty often compared to most people.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Might be slightly exaggerating that second part.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Awesome! posted:

lol is that supposed to be a compliment? im sure impatom knows i was joking around. maybe get your own irony levels checked out

I'll admit it was probably because there was another seemingly serious dig at him next to your comment. And yeah it's a compliment, it's nice when someone doesn't feel bad over liking/disliking things.

Megasabin posted:

I honestly think the largest factor is the anonymity. People playing sports are interacting face to face in real life, and often will interact on a repeated basis. If you are a mostly functional human being there are social consequences at work that make you check your behavior, even if you are upset. The safety of anonymity in digital games let's you act like a complete rear end in a top hat with little to no consequences. The closest real life example would be how people act towards other drivers while in their car.

I'll believe this. The internet really messes with people's sense of consequence even when dealing with people they'll meet more than once in a 40 minute game.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 24, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
My favorite is the people who go solo into ranked Doubles on Rocket League and complain about their teammate. I have one saved where it evolved into a critique of Christian values and hypocrisy that got so heated they stopped playing to focus on yelling at eacother in the RL chatbox.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My favorite is the people who go solo into ranked Doubles on Rocket League and complain about their teammate. I have one saved where it evolved into a critique of Christian values and hypocrisy that got so heated they stopped playing to focus on yelling at eacother in the RL chatbox.

You have it saved?! Time to upload that trainwreck. :D

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Megasabin posted:

I honestly think the largest factor is the anonymity. People playing sports are interacting face to face in real life, and often will interact on a repeated basis. If you are a mostly functional human being there are social consequences at work that make you check your behavior, even if you are upset. The safety of anonymity in digital games let's you act like a complete rear end in a top hat with little to no consequences. The closest real life example would be how people act towards other drivers while in their car.

One of my favorite things about Splatoon is that it's an anonymous online shooter with very little rear end in a top hat behavior. Anonymity is a challenge, but it can be overcome with good design. Nintendo locked down communication during the aggressive gameplay, compensated by giving people a way to channel their energy into outfits and dank memes, and the result is a positive and self-reinforcing community with its own distinct culture.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

mrEkli posted:

You have it saved?! Time to upload that trainwreck. :D

I'll try to remember tonight

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hm. Life is strange and axiom verge are both tempting on sale. Which one do I get goons?!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

NESguerilla posted:

Hm. Life is strange and axiom verge are both tempting on sale. Which one do I get goons?!

Life is Strange. Axiom Verge is neat, but it's pretty mediocre. At least with LiS, you get some decent story.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

AV is not better than just playing any metroid game you already own or could emulate for free

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

NESguerilla posted:

Which one do I get goons?!

maybe neither

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

NESguerilla posted:

I like them both but I'd recommend Life is Strange over Axiom Verge. Life is Strange starts out kind of dumb and get really great, Axiom starts out pretty cool and gets dumb. They're not really games you can compare though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LIS it is!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'd argue LiS starts great and ends dumb. But it's also one of my favorite games of the generation and a must play.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Nothing breaks its heart?

It's just he way they are.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I would have liked Life is Strange better if it involved a scientist with a crowbar instead of an inept girl as a main character.

At least the aliens would have made sense then.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'd argue LiS starts great and ends dumb. But it's also one of my favorite games of the generation and a must play.

Life is Strange and Tales from the Borderlands both pulled me back on the episodic release train. I ended up waiting until both were fully out to start playing, but both were good enough that if either get a second season, I'll probably be playing them as they hit.

Also, after seeing the Uncharted 4 trailer that'll go live at 6AM tomorrow earlier today, there's definitely a new benchmark for Best Looking Game of All Time. Holy poo poo. I have to get up at 5:45 tomorrow morning to prep everything on the site and I'm not even mad about it. The reactions alone will be caffeine.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

NESguerilla posted:

I'm going to say Axiom Verge, specially if you're into older metroid games. Is it better than Metroid or Super Metroid? No, but it's still really well put together.

IMO $10 is probably a perfect price for LiS. I liked the game, but wasn't blown away by it like others seem to be. It's more an interactive experience than a game. To me it seemed like most of the main characters were decently written with the exception being the main character. If you care about trophies maybe reference a guide. I kinda thought I'd enjoy playing it through a second time to pick up missed trophies and make opposite choices but doing that made me realize how little your choices effect the main story.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 24, 2016

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Sweet, I have a $10 PSN gift card to use on top of all these sales. Witcher 3 and FO4 are both tempting but I did just beat them both on XB1. Phantom Pain looks gorgeous and I played the old Metal Gear on PS1, really enjoyed it but I'm pretty awful at stealth games now that I'm older. Everyone raves about Life is Strange but I'm not sure it's my cup of tea. What's the gameplay like exactly? Being able to rewind time and make dialogue choices, is that pretty much it?

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Sweet, I have a $10 PSN gift card to use on top of all these sales. Witcher 3 and FO4 are both tempting but I did just beat them both on XB1. Phantom Pain looks gorgeous and I played the old Metal Gear on PS1, really enjoyed it but I'm pretty awful at stealth games now that I'm older. Everyone raves about Life is Strange but I'm not sure it's my cup of tea. What's the gameplay like exactly? Being able to rewind time and make dialogue choices, is that pretty much it?

That's a big part of it. There are some puzzles to solve, but nothing that is really going to challenge you. You also get to take pictures.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

McFunkerson posted:

I'm going to say Axiom Verge, specially if you're into older metroid games. Is it better than Metroid or Super Metroid? No, but it's still really well put together.

This is kind of the thing that has had me on the fence since it has been released. I love Metroid, but I feel like any Metroid-like game should either do it's own thing or be outright better than the original to be worth playing. At least considering how many metroidvania titles there have been over the years.

I'll probably still grab it down the road. I'm a sucker for the genre.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Among other things, I really didn't like the soundtrack to AV. It was overpowering at times it should be quiet because I'm trying to focus on the exploring.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of annoying soundtracks, Talos Principle has the most annoying soundtrack. I'm so sick of that gregorian monk chant goddamn!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Another thing The Witness did right .....

edit: speaking of actual, existant soundtracks, I'm not too far into Firewatch but the music cues have been great so far. I like how sparse music in general is and how much suspense gets added when the occasional song starts in

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

This is kind of the thing that has had me on the fence since it has been released. I love Metroid, but I feel like any Metroid-like game should either do it's own thing or be outright better than the original to be worth playing. At least considering how many metroidvania titles there have been over the years.

I'll probably still grab it down the road. I'm a sucker for the genre.

It's a solid game. Best Metroid game I played since the gay fascist obama underground army base one, Shadow Complex.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

NESguerilla posted:

I know what you mean but if you like hamburgers, you're not gonna stop enjoying hamburgers after eating the ur-Burger. Sometimes you're just unreasonably into a certain thing and you like playing anything that scratches that itch

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SamBishop posted:

Life is Strange and Tales from the Borderlands both pulled me back on the episodic release train. I ended up waiting until both were fully out to start playing, but both were good enough that if either get a second season, I'll probably be playing them as they hit.

Also, after seeing the Uncharted 4 trailer that'll go live at 6AM tomorrow earlier today, there's definitely a new benchmark for Best Looking Game of All Time. Holy poo poo. I have to get up at 5:45 tomorrow morning to prep everything on the site and I'm not even mad about it. The reactions alone will be caffeine.

Life Is Strange was the first episodic game I'd ever purchased and waiting for the next episode each time was hell (and I even waited until episode three was out, so I had it better off than people who bought it at the beginning). it's one of my favourite games, but I think I'd wait until a full season is out before buying any other episodic game. I'd be super interested in a second season of Life Is Strange though!

also super excited for Uncharted 4! can't wait to see that tomorrow

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

bloodychill posted:

Anything that you built up in your imagination was better than it ended up being, whether you wanted it to be a silly cyberpunk romp or a serious take on government cybermonitoring. It cannot be emphasized enough what a lovely "hero" we got in that game.

Jesus christ, it's a SA Goon simulator. GBS wreaks havok in Chicago. What's there too hate?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

limaCAT posted:

Jesus christ, it's a SA Goon simulator. GBS wreaks havok in Chicago. What's there too hate?

Watch_Dogs' gameplay is fine, and even fun, but the story got rewritten so many times it's a wonder it didn't collapsed in on itself. Not only are parts of it outright stupid, it even contradicts itself in places.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

Life Is Strange was the first episodic game I'd ever purchased and waiting for the next episode each time was hell (and I even waited until episode three was out, so I had it better off than people who bought it at the beginning). it's one of my favourite games, but I think I'd wait until a full season is out before buying any other episodic game. I'd be super interested in a second season of Life Is Strange though!

also super excited for Uncharted 4! can't wait to see that tomorrow

At least DONTNOD was able to stick to a semi-regular schedule. It was upwards of four months between some parts of Tales from the Borderlands, but holy poo poo did Telltale kill it. I actually feel like they did more with that universe than Gearbox did in some ways. They certainly did a better job with characterization.

There was no more jarring contrast than going from the Telltale engine to LiS' Unreal setup, though. Life is Strange had some hitches/Unreal texture streaming bits, but Telltale really needs to overhaul that thing and create a new framework instead of just hoping that the hardware can brute force its way through the hitches and pauses. I liked both Walking Dead Season 1 (less so Season 2/400 Days) and The Wolf Among Us, but they were janky as gently caress at times, even with the PS4 basically churning through stuff that used to hardlock my PS3 at times.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

limaCAT posted:

The story was lame and nonsensical even if you just thought of the dude as a dumb script-kiddy redditor and it didn't have to be and I don't feel inclined to excuse that. But even putting that aside, the gameplay got repetitive quick. The only parts that were really fun were the ctOS tower attacks and the spider tank minigame and they were really, really fun. The rest got dragged down by a combination of the usual ubisoft collectathon crap and the weird "spot light" hack/search thing the police do on your map whenever you got caught doing something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SamBishop posted:

At least DONTNOD was able to stick to a semi-regular schedule. It was upwards of four months between some parts of Tales from the Borderlands, but holy poo poo did Telltale kill it. I actually feel like they did more with that universe than Gearbox did in some ways. They certainly did a better job with characterization.

There was no more jarring contrast than going from the Telltale engine to LiS' Unreal setup, though. Life is Strange had some hitches/Unreal texture streaming bits, but Telltale really needs to overhaul that thing and create a new framework instead of just hoping that the hardware can brute force its way through the hitches and pauses. I liked both Walking Dead Season 1 (less so Season 2/400 Days) and The Wolf Among Us, but they were janky as gently caress at times, even with the PS4 basically churning through stuff that used to hardlock my PS3 at times.

Telltale's engine is almost a decade old at this point, and really needs a rebuild from the ground up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had more fun with W________D than any other Ubi open world game except Far Cry. I probably just enjoy generic shooting and driving more than crappy world traversal and horrible melee combat though. It wasn't a particularly good game. Multiplayer was fun for a few days.

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I just played plants vs zombies garden warfare 2 a bit. Surprisingly good CoD/LoadOut type shooter!

Love the cutesy aesthetic applied to shooters, which is refreshing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Did they finish the Dreamfall episodic adventures?

I beat the Longest Journey and have been holding off finishing the second game until the third game has all the poo poo released.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Mortal Kombat is on sale... how is it for a single player game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's got the usual incredibly dumb involved story mode

There's a version with all of the DLC and poo poo coming out soon though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
I'm pretty much sold of Tales from the Borderlands but what's the cheapest way to currently purchase it? The season pass is £15.99 on the UK store and I know it's been cheaper previously when on sale. I have access to the US store.

Edit: Scratch that, just checked and it's 50% off in the US store.

AOTKPTW fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 24, 2016

• Locked thread