Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Eskaton posted:

If it paid well, I'm sure they would. People worked in pretty awful mills in the north.

Plantation owners in the south were so loving stupid that after the civil war they had trouble getting any labor because they didn't understand that they needed to pay people decent wages.

edit: also a combination of Jim crow laws and widespread discrimination meant that they majority of post civil war plantation workers were black.

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

It can be a subtle distinction. Poor southern whites were certainly strongly anti-emancipation, for the reason you state, and also because of economic and other fears about what would happen if the slaves already there were freed. But we're specifically thinking now about how they felt about bringing more slaves in, which is a slightly different question.

I feel like you have causation slightly backwards here. The plantation system was reliant on slavery, yes, absolutely. But this doesn't mean that in the absence of slaves, other people would be forced into that niche; it means that in the absence of slaves, the plantation system breaks down. As happened with emancipation in Haiti and elsewhere - at least, once such emancipation became more than de jure.

Or I suppose, in our counterfactual, the system doesn't get established in the first place.

The plantation system could not have survived without West African slavery, full stop. It's not just a logistics problem (how do we get all this work done cheaply?). The environmental changes wrought by the plantation caused malaria to boom in the region. Without modern medicine, the only way to get any work done there was by using malaria-resistant workers, and West Africans are resistant to malaria. No European populations had any malaria resistance. If you look at the outcome of any European military expedition into this region, the results are pitiable: you sometimes see as many as 1/3 of the army drop dead from malaria.

Could the plantation system have survived with West African wage labour, perhaps? Possibly, but the notion of wage labour was pretty alien to most humans at the time. Also, being shipped to a distant place where there is only one employment game in town means that you are a de facto slave, regardless of whether or not you're paid a pittance at the discretion of your owner/employer.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I had a thought about Federations in Stellaris. The round robin system is serviceable but also kind of primitive and a lot of players will resent the loss of control during the time they aren't in the big chair. So what if you model federations on the Systems Alliance from Mass Effect? Superficially it's just humanity, but it actually represents the collective nations states of Earth and humanity as a whole but is separate and independent from any one nation. So if you take Federations and make them the Holy Roman Empire in space, except the Emperor is the pope and doesn't have any planets or colonies. Throw in a bit of parliament from EU4 and make the federation an independent AI entity whose behavior is based on laws that are voted on and implemented by its member states.

Most federations will apparently start off as a defensive reaction by smaller empires so that would influence the laws and policies of it's first iteration. You could limit this to the combined fleet (under permanent AI control) whose mandate is defending it's members core worlds. This means that if any member declares war on another state the Fed won't intervene, but it will defend your core worlds (not sectors) and use it's influence to push for a white peace if it's member loses too many battles. Over time reforms (HRE) expand the scope and control of the federation and the goal of the system would be to give the player interesting internal politics while giving up some foreign policy control.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I had a thought about Federations in Stellaris. The round robin system is serviceable but also kind of primitive and a lot of players will resent the loss of control during the time they aren't in the big chair. So what if you model federations on the Systems Alliance from Mass Effect? Superficially it's just humanity, but it actually represents the collective nations states of Earth and humanity as a whole but is separate and independent from any one nation. So if you take Federations and make them the Holy Roman Empire in space, except the Emperor is the pope and doesn't have any planets or colonies. Throw in a bit of parliament from EU4 and make the federation an independent AI entity whose behavior is based on laws that are voted on and implemented by its member states.

Most federations will apparently start off as a defensive reaction by smaller empires so that would influence the laws and policies of it's first iteration. You could limit this to the combined fleet (under permanent AI control) whose mandate is defending it's members core worlds. This means that if any member declares war on another state the Fed won't intervene, but it will defend your core worlds (not sectors) and use it's influence to push for a white peace if it's member loses too many battles. Over time reforms (HRE) expand the scope and control of the federation and the goal of the system would be to give the player interesting internal politics while giving up some foreign policy control.

This is very clearly going to be DLC at some point. The round-robin is an obvious stopgap so that they don't spend a load of effort coming up with federation presidency systems if federations aren't a huge part of the game at launch.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dallan Invictus posted:

You kept your redtext all these years just to make that one joke, didn't you? :golfclap:

Why would anyone get rid of the best red text on the forums?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

This is very clearly going to be DLC at some point. The round-robin is an obvious stopgap so that they don't spend a load of effort coming up with federation presidency systems if federations aren't a huge part of the game at launch.

I think this is the case. I mean, for one thing, it lacks a mechanism whereby a single member state can effectively consolidate control over the whole thing. Which, continuing the star trek analogy would be the dominion?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Fintilgin posted:

Why would anyone get rid of the best red text on the forums?
Indeed. I look upon it as a gift. Hell, I paid once to restore this particular red text after somebody gave me another, far more imperfect red text.

Wiz posted:

My race had a trait that made them want slaves but didn't like enslaving their own. Xenophobia can mean different things depending on the traits and ethoses it's combined with.
Hah. Well then, yes, certainly if you want slaves and hate aliens, "let's go enslave some aliens" becomes a very obvious choice.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 23, 2016

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

NewMars posted:

I think this is the case. I mean, for one thing, it lacks a mechanism whereby a single member state can effectively consolidate control over the whole thing. Which, continuing the star trek analogy would be the dominion?

Thought it was humanity :v:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
According to the Paradox Twitter account there was an AMA held this afternoon on Reddit - nothing much of any substance but I guess it gives you a look inside some of the thought process that goes on over there?

If particular note is that HOI4 is for sure coming out this year:

And that Johan finds WoW inspirational somehow.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

According to the Paradox Twitter account there was an AMA held this afternoon on Reddit - nothing much of any substance but I guess it gives you a look inside some of the thought process that goes on over there?

If particular note is that HOI4 is for sure coming out this year:

And that Johan finds WoW inspirational somehow.

Did anyone ask the same question for Stellaris?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
I believe it was confirmed at some point that Stellaris was coming before HOI4

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I didn't read all 1000+ posts there (and Reddit sorts people's posts very stupidly) but at least one person asked this and the only response from Johan was that Stellaris entered beta before HOI4. Does that infer that Stellaris is further along it's development track and will likely make it out first? Or was he simply just pointing out that one reached a milestone before the other? I honestly wouldn't get my hopes up one way or the other.

To give people a hint though, they were also talking about possibly having more game play stuff to show off for Stellaris after GDC, which is mid-March, so I won't expect either game to be out in the immediate future. They do also have some event in London the weekend before where they will be showing off a "near-complete build" of Stellaris for the press, so maybe they'll have more details for us then.

I recommend holding your breath.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
my bets are still on may or june

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Paradox AMA:

Please release the game, bye!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ParaDOX PLZ CONCIDER EARLY RELEASE!
Johan, why not just release Stellaris now?
The game is playable why isn't it out NOW?!
You guys are loving idiots not to release now!!!
RELEASE RELEASE RELEASE!!!!!!!

That's about 90% of the posts related to stellaris these days.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You know, I was reading the AMA just now, and it occurred to me that now that they own White Wolf they could and perhaps SHOULD do a World of Darkness DLC for CKII.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

ParaDOX PLZ CONCIDER EARLY RELEASE!
Johan, why not just release Stellaris now?
The game is playable why isn't it out NOW?!
You guys are loving idiots not to release now!!!
RELEASE RELEASE RELEASE!!!!!!!

because everyone can discern the playability and stability of a game from some screenshots released by the developer and maybe a video? (I haven't been following Stellaris's development too closely.)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
There were a number of answers stressing that Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studios were two very different entities, and it's PI that has control over the WoD IP and White Wolf, not PDS. I get the impression that the devs who post here have little to no control over that part of the business and may even object to tainting parts of their IP with cross promotional material like that.

I also hope that WoW wasn't inspiring people to develop some WoD MMO in the future. Jesus Chris, if you think your fan base is bad now just wait until you release a game about vampires and werewolves; you'll be begging the Nazi apologists and Serbian nationalists to come back in no time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
When people say that want a WoD MMO they mean EVE with black lipstick. I don't know if that makes it any better or worse in your book.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

WoD will never be as predatory as EVE. Also, do Paradox not also own the rights to Conan the Barbarian now?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I want Paradox to buy the rights to Heroes of Might and Magic III so they can make a good modern version of it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I also hope that WoW wasn't inspiring people to develop some WoD MMO in the future. Jesus Chris, if you think your fan base is bad now just wait until you release a game about vampires and werewolves; you'll be begging the Nazi apologists and Serbian nationalists to come back in no time.

zedprime posted:

When people say that want a WoD MMO they mean EVE with black lipstick. I don't know if that makes it any better or worse in your book.

I'm assuming you all know this because this is the Paradox thread, but PI bought WoD from CCP, the makers of EVE, who were very much planning a WoD MMO and nearly went out of business due to the money they lost on it. We can only hope Paradox learnt its lesson.

The fervor for MMOs seems to be cooling down a little, anyway. WoW has lost half its playerbase, and very few (no?) AAA MMOs are coming out right now. I'm not entirely sure where MMO players went--MOBAs, maybe?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I hadn't been keeping up with my MOO news, no. I grew out of them around the same time EverQuest went out of style and Anarchy Online fell flat on its rear end, I haven't had time to dedicate to a game like that since highschool anyway.

That said, I don't think I've seen a successful MMO since WoW was released and sucked up the entire market. Everyone seems to be more interested in F2P microtransation garbage these days, no one wants to pay a monthly subscription any more.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

TomViolence posted:

WoD will never be as predatory as EVE. Also, do Paradox not also own the rights to Conan the Barbarian now?

No, FunCom has the Conan rights. They have a Conan-based crafting survival game coming up (that I'm actually super excited for and I probably shouldn't be).

I've been entertaining thoughts of making a Conan mod for CK2, but then I think about making a map and filling out all those provinces and think about doing something that's not as much work.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Wait, why did CCP own WoD? While I don't know the current system, hasn't it historically been a fairly non-crunchy RPG? It seems like the complete wrong fit. Paradox wouldn't be much better.

Granted, looser role players have plenty more options these days, and maybe the current version of WoD has abandoned that philosophy. It still seems weird that anybody would want a spreadsheet WoD.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

CCP wanted to branch out in the early aughts, but never quite managed to do anything but waste money and the property. Paradox at least intends to do something with it, even if that something is overly focused on Europe.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

TomViolence posted:

That's Paradox Entertainment.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm not entirely sure where MMO players went--MOBAs, maybe?

I think a lot of the die-off of MMOs has been due to the new generation of Post-Minecrafts attempting to pay off on the failed dreams of MMOs past. It turns out that the best solution to having in-game player housing and guild control and poo poo is to not have a bajillion players in your game, because 64 is usually good enough.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cantorsdust posted:

The fervor for MMOs seems to be cooling down a little, anyway. WoW has lost half its playerbase, and very few (no?) AAA MMOs are coming out right now. I'm not entirely sure where MMO players went--MOBAs, maybe?
I'm not sure you can really even call WoW-players in general MMO players. Sure, they played an MMO, but it was WoW specifically. When they lost interest in WoW many probably just went back to not caring about the genre at all, and probably couldn't be seen as any kind of coherent group that migrated to something else.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Koramei posted:

my bets are still on may or june

Yeah, my money is on D-Day because Paradox is just like that.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I learned a *ton* of things applicable to Paradox games from working on MMOs. Balancing numbers and mechanics versus each other, maintaining endless replayability, etc. They're more similar mechanics-wise than you might think.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
So you're saying HOI4 will be a dumbed down grindfest for the casual MMO crowd.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So that's where all the mana mechanics came from. :argh:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kavak posted:

CCP wanted to branch out in the early aughts, but never quite managed to do anything but waste money and the property.

One day I will be able to leave my captain's quarters. One day. :unsmith:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wiz posted:

I learned a *ton* of things applicable to Paradox games from working on MMOs. Balancing numbers and mechanics versus each other, maintaining endless replayability, etc. They're more similar mechanics-wise than you might think.

A 5* advisor appearing is basically an epic drop.

Actually tying the appearance of advisors in EU to player behaviour more (ie. going on a building spree raises chances of getting an admin dude, slaughtering vast numbers of foreigners gets you a chance of an Army Organiser etc) wouldn't be a terrible thing.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
They'd be too late at that point. What do I want a builder for once I've built all my stuff, or why would I want an army organizer after I've done all my fighting?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wiz posted:

1938 Cadillac Model 75
Dropped by (1)
Name: General Patton
AI Difficulty: Normal
% : 10

Mercedes-Benz W31
Dropped by (1)
Name: Adolf Hitler, Führer of Grossdeutschland
AI Difficulty: Hard
% : 1

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

Please drop a lot of acid and then make a game that combines the most inappropriate mechanics of both genres.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dibujante posted:

Please drop a lot of acid and then make a game that combines the most inappropriate mechanics of both genres.

It will be a Korean MMO where you start as a Native American nation, then after 1,000 years of play graduate to an African minor, then an Indian minor, then a minor horde, then a Muslim minor, then Navarra. If you make it through a raid as Navarra you unlock the HRE minors. One group raid as those unlocks England. Winning the HYW unlocks the end game boss, France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I would play an ARPG with anthropomorphic countries set during the Reformation and 30 Years War. Although I guess the league wars already comes close to ARPG APMs in EU4.