Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Butyraceous posted:

Yeah what the heck is up with that? What about the intro and exits causes the game to tank down to around 40 fps?

Bad optimization? It happens on my GTX 970 too, and is mentioned in Digital Foundry's hardware tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Butyraceous posted:

Yeah what the heck is up with that? What about the intro and exits causes the game to tank down to around 40 fps?

Intense camera zoom-ins?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

A Cup of Ramen posted:

As someone who also lives in Australia I disagree with this, I have plenty of fun playing against people in the US and UK in a bunch of fighting games and besides the lag is our greatest weapon if you master it. :colbert:

Judging from the fact that every Australian flag that joins my UK flag lobby readies up immediately before getting booted, Ozzies have never looked at a map before, or just don't care about the 400ms difference.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Seeing Cammy's goggles costume in action makes me want it now :( I hope those pre-order costumes are in the store next month.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Ah, I see this Cammy at the WSO has wisely chosen to do all their specials while wearing goggles.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Haha! It landed, but I'm pretty sure one of the CASTERS just said "what the hell" about that random spiral arrow.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

teagone posted:

What settings are you trying to run the game at?

Medium, But even going to low spec mode did not fix anything.

FallenGod posted:

I've "only" got 8 gigs of RAM and the game runs perfectly. Any game that runs at 60 fps on a PS4 isn't exactly going to be a brutal PC killer.

MonsterEnvy, check if your game is running on your discrete GPU or the lovely one strapped to your CPU.

Not really sure how do do this. Unless you just mean make sure the game is using Nvida.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 23, 2016

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Question is my computer good enough to play this. Because it runs like poo poo for me.

i5-4200 @ 2.50GHz
gtx 760m
8GB ram

I'm gonna take a guess here that since you're on a laptop, you may be encountering that Nvidia bug where it tries to use integrated graphics instead of the discrete graphics chip (your GTX 760m). Try updating to the latest drivers and do the following:

quote:

1. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel from the desktop's context menu - right click on your desktop and choose NVIDIA Control Panel from the list.
2. go to Manage 3D Settings->Program Settings tab
3. Hit the Add button (this might take a while to load) than choose Layers of Fear from the list and push the Add Selected Application/Program
4. Under 2. set your Preferred graphics processor value will to High Performance (NVIDIA Card) and hit Apply.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Constellation I posted:

I'm gonna take a guess here that since you're on a laptop, you may be encountering that Nvidia bug where it tries to use integrated graphics instead of the discrete graphics chip (your GTX 760m). Try updating to the latest drivers and do the following:

I don't know what layers of Fear is but Street Fighter V is using the High Performance Nvidia.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I just copy and pasted it from a Google result.

EDIT: In that case, your laptop may just not be able to run the game that well. Look around to see what frame rates people are getting on a similar setup. Make sure to look for results that are from a mobile i5 and a 760M. The mobile i5 CPU's are a lot less powerful than their desktop versions. Same goes with the mobile 760M.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 23, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So I need to get a better computer pretty much.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 23, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Medium, But even going to low spec mode did not fix anything.

Have you tried messing with resolution scaling? Like, bringing it down to maybe 75-80? Are you running Windows 7? I know Dias mentioned that going from W7 to W10 fixed any framerate issues.

[edit] Try these settings:

Rendering - 80
AA - LOW
Post Processing - LOW
Shadows - MEDIUM
Textures - MEDIUM
Effects - MEDIUM

What's the native display res of your laptop panel? Or do you have a monitor connected to your laptop?

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 23, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

teagone posted:

Have you tried messing with resolution scaling? Like, bringing it down to maybe 75-80? Are you running Windows 7? I know Dias mentioned that going from W7 to W10 fixed any framerate issues.

[edit] Try these settings:

Rendering - 80
AA - LOW
Post Processing - LOW
Shadows - MEDIUM
Textures - MEDIUM
Effects - MEDIUM

What's the native display res of your laptop panel? Or do you have a monitor connected to your laptop?

K will try this currently trying the Windows 10 thing as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

K will try this currently trying the Windows 10 thing as well.

Also, turn on the FPS counter in Steam http://ccm.net/faq/40667-steam-display-the-in-game-fps-counter to feel out the settings performance. Make sure 'high contrast color' is checked too.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up getting a Qanba Q1 off eBay to get relatively cheap/fast shipping to the US.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones

dhamster posted:

I sold my TE fightstick a couple months ago but I've got the fighting bug again. I'm doing OK on a cheap fight pad, but how's the MadCatz Alpha as a cheap/entry level stick?

I picked up a Madcatz SE stick for cheap off craigslist and put sanwa buttons/stick in it (~$40 bucks) and it works great. The default buttons are unusable, the stick is actually not too bad on the version I picked up, and upgrading the parts is very straight forward and basically just requires a screw driver.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Goddamn it sucks going down a league because you're trying to practice reaction DPs to get better.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Beat two Rashids in a row, league down'd someone's Zangief, and finally made it to bronze. That was a successful venture!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Goddamn it sucks going down a league because you're trying to practice reaction DPs to get better.
dont experiment in ranked then

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cat Machine posted:

dont experiment in ranked then

But then what would I whine about?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

dhamster posted:

I sold my TE fightstick a couple months ago but I've got the fighting bug again. I'm doing OK on a cheap fight pad, but how's the MadCatz Alpha as a cheap/entry level stick?

Page late but I did a lot of exhaustive research to save myself from having to spend 150+ on a fight stick. I checked out fightpads, sticks, older sticks, older sticks with mods. PC users have a lot of options, which it looks like you found a good one, but PS4 users don't.

PS4 controller is slightly worse than the Hori FC4, so for 30 bucks on sale if you want a pad this is a no-brainer. The new Madcatz pads are utterly useless poo poo.

If you want a stick skip right to the Hori RAP4 Kai, 150 bucks. The Alpha is loving trash, especially for 80 bucks. It should be 40 like the Hori Mini, which is also drat near unplayable for realistic SF5 play (good for arcade games I hear though)

If you have 50 bucks more to spend on your stick the TES+ has Sanwa components and is constructed a bit better than the Rap4 (I'm mainly talking about dimensions and weight and the non-fight button placements) The TES+ and TE2+ buttons (sanwas) are flat out better than the Hori in house buttons, but both are 100% usable.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

battle lobby having chat makes people think i'm hanging around to make friends or some poo poo. ready up or get out. i don't need your "GOOD GAME. YOU'RE TOUGH. THE STRUGGLE. DEVOUR OUR OUR."

cams
Mar 28, 2003

edit quote gently caress phone

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

cams posted:

battle lobby having chat makes people think i'm hanging around to make friends or some poo poo. ready up or get out. i don't need your "GOOD GAME. YOU'RE TOUGH. THE STRUGGLE. DEVOUR OUR OUR."

devourourour dese nuts, shitlord

Oh wait, you can't type in the drat things.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

cams posted:

you need to 5-0 someone and use the "Well done!" line to get the full lobby experience.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
What is Karin's ideal against fireballs? Her V skill seems so pathetically incapable at blocking them, because you absolutely must be at range and have near zero reaction time.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

quaunaut posted:

What is Karin's ideal against fireballs? Her V skill seems so pathetically incapable at blocking them, because you absolutely must be at range and have near zero reaction time.

Time a jump or qcb p over it (don't do this unless you have a ridiculously good read, you will be punished and regret it)

Edit: Probably the safest option is neutral jumping or the ole walk and block

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i jumped into a lobby and now the game doesn't accept my stick anymore, while Xrd is fine

edit:I had to restart my pc for it to work again

Pomp fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 24, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

So my Hori RAP4 Silent showed up today. Initial thoughts:
  • Haven't noticed any lag yet
  • I'm pretty sure I can push these buttons with a strong thought. Lots of accidental presses thanks to years of bad practice on arcade machines with some play in the buttons. Are these things touchscreens or something?
  • Man this stick is short
  • Four degrees of freedom in a joystick feels effin weird, and the DP motion feels like it's getting resistance in all the wrong places. Is there an aftermarket plate I can put in this thing or is just just an eccentricity I need to get used to?
  • Speaking of freedom on a joystick, I'm not sure I've been to the planet where this thing is silent. Every move has a noticeable clunk sound associated with it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

flakeloaf posted:

So my Hori RAP4 Silent showed up today. Initial thoughts:
  • Haven't noticed any lag yet
  • I'm pretty sure I can push these buttons with a strong thought. Lots of accidental presses thanks to years of bad practice on arcade machines with some play in the buttons. Are these things touchscreens or something?
  • Man this stick is short
  • Four degrees of freedom in a joystick feels effin weird, and the DP motion feels like it's getting resistance in all the wrong places. Is there an aftermarket plate I can put in this thing or is just just an eccentricity I need to get used to?
  • Speaking of freedom on a joystick, I'm not sure I've been to the planet where this thing is silent. Every move has a noticeable clunk sound associated with it.

"Silent" in this case is like when you attach a silencer to a pistol. It's not "there is no sound" but rather "it is quieter than this other, extremely loud thing."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

flakeloaf posted:

Square gates take some getting used to but don't break down and get an octagonal because

cams
Mar 28, 2003

laura is a great character imo, really teach people to jab and anti air

because those are the only two things half the cast needs to completely shut her down

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm not sure but I think there are other characters you could try

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

cams posted:

laura is a great character imo, really teach people to jab and anti air

because those are the only two things half the cast needs to completely shut her down

You should pick a new character or quit this game. You're gonna end up killing yourself or committing a murder bc of your crappy character

Here is how you should feel about the characters you play: I like Chun. She is fun and has nice-feeling buttons. She has a tool for nearly any situation, and though her only reversal is metered and her damage can be lackluster, overall she is solid and I enjoy playing her.

Do you see the difference between this attitude and your approach to Laura?

Sade fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 24, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wafflz posted:

Square gates take some getting used to but don't break down and get an octagonal because

:eng101: It's science. I like it.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

Pomp posted:

i jumped into a lobby and now the game doesn't accept my stick anymore, while Xrd is fine

I've had this happen to me once so far. Quanba Q4 set on 360 settings. Otherwise no lag and 60 FPS on PC WOo

Are we posting our battle ID's in here or is there another thread for that?

A Cup of Ramen posted:

As someone who also lives in Australia I disagree with this, I have plenty of fun playing against people in the US and UK in a bunch of fighting games and besides the lag is our greatest weapon if you master it. :colbert:

you need plat

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Pomp posted:

I haven't had the game ignore my stick without switching to another window, but have you tried alt+tabbing out and back in? For some reason I have to do that most of the time when I launch the game to get it to read my stick. It also usually launches minimized or in the background or whatever for some dumb reason which may be related. Alt+tabbing also sometimes (emphasis on sometimes) "fixes" my framerate back to its usual troubled self when the game inexplicably decides it wants to run at 30fps just because. I'm getting the distinct feeling that the pc port could have benefited from a little more dev effort.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
K I give up.

The Windows 10 update failed to work twice in a row and now my computer freezes if I try and start Street Fighter V.

My Computer was starting to break down anyway guess this is just a sign I need to get a new one.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Sade posted:

You should pick a new character or quit this game. You're gonna end up killing yourself or committing a murder bc of your crappy character

Here is how you should feel about the characters you play: I like Chun. She is fun and has nice-feeling buttons. She has a tool for nearly any situation, and though her only reversal is metered and her damage can be lackluster, overall she is solid and I enjoy playing her.

Do you see the difference between this attitude and your approach to Laura?
yes i'm playing the worst character in the game you are playing the best.