Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Good customer service when you f up is cool but they've also been pretty bad at doing the weekender - my buddy went for a second straight year from the USA and was super disappointed. Sent an email twice and received a form letter reply both times. Perhaps fw is just getting to far into the gw fold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And then you have companies like Secret Weapon that has a great track record of both customer service AND quality insurance. I do enjoy the occasional "bag of miscasts" that they sell as well.
Granted it is for bases, and I understand that they are more simple then full models. But still.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ghost Hand posted:

A great response. Thanks for taking the time to write all that out. While they can't do anything about the design of where the cockpit attaches for you - I would urge you to give them at least a chance to make it right. By contacting them about the problem.

FW is taking steps to improve things. I think it shows now that you get models with tracks attached as opposed to dealing with the horror of putting on ill fitting tracks...

Sorry you have had this frustrating experience. For the most part my experiences have been incredibly positive. When I HAVE had a problem, things are fixed quickly. The issues I have had range from a missing piece to miscasts. Each was resolved quickly. Does that make up for a QA process that is apparently lacking? No. But it does provide an avenue of resolution.

Regarding knock offs and not directed to anyone in particular:

Look, I have close friends that work at FW (and Black Library & GW "prime") so I take it quite personally when people aren't satisfied and often pass these stories along. Likewise I take it personally when people purchase counterfeit pieces. That issue won't get solved here. But when some rear end in a top hat is standing right behind the guy who designed the Warlord Titan and is looking at the fully painted one on the table at Warhammer Workd says "I'll just buy it from China for way less." Within earshot... That's a dick move.

If you wouldn't say that you bought your version from China to or around the people who worked to design and build these models, then it's clearly not right. And if you WOULD say it to their face... I think there are other issues.

I've already emailed them about both prior to posting here, so I'll see what response I get.

Regarding talking about recasts - I think being weirdly confrontational about it like that is a dick move. Don't go to Warhammer World on an open day so you can walk around and mutter about getting it all cheaper from China - no one forced you to attend the event. However, I wouldn't treat it like some kind of taboo topic if engaged in an adult conversation with FW staff.They do make it very easy for people to talk poo poo by charging premium prices and doing guy-in-his-garage kit levels of QA. They absolutely cannot have it both ways and when the QA reflects the price or vice versa, China will probably stop being an issue.

FAKE EDIT: By adult conversation I mean an informal chat that isn't started with "Hi guys! What army do you collect?!" in a retail setting.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

The Officio Assassinorum got to him.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Z's still around and filling orders, his CS just isn't as good as GW/FW.

vvvv haha or maybe not vvvv

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 24, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
While the thread is talking about FW support, how long should it take to get a response from their support? I sent them a rules question almost a few weeks ago and have heard nothing beyond the initial automated response.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Safety Factor posted:

While the thread is talking about FW support, how long should it take to get a response from their support? I sent them a rules question almost a few weeks ago and have heard nothing beyond the initial automated response.

I just assumed they don't answer questions. I sent them a thing two months ago.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've got rules responses almost instantly before, sometimes a couple of days. Maybe they don't know how to reply. What was the question?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

I've got rules responses almost instantly before, sometimes a couple of days. Maybe they don't know how to reply. What was the question?

My question had to do with the new Dark Angels rules/wargear for 30k. Basically, they have stasis grenades as an additional, optional ammo type for grenade launchers and twin-linked grenade launchers. Problem is, nothing in the legion list has or can even take grenade launchers. The only way to get one is by taking a combi-grenade launcher which is usually a loving idiotic idea, but might be cool with a stasis shell. My question was simply if a combi-grenade launcher counted as a proper grenade launcher with regards to this option. That was all.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ahhh ok. No idea :shrug:

I think the last thing I asked them was why they'd put "This weapon does not allow cover saves" instead of "Ignores Cover" - was I missing something or did they just decided not to use a game wide universal special rule because eh gently caress it

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

muggins posted:

Good customer service when you f up is cool but they've also been pretty bad at doing the weekender - my buddy went for a second straight year from the USA and was super disappointed. Sent an email twice and received a form letter reply both times. Perhaps fw is just getting to far into the gw fold.

The event you were talking about was taken out of Forge world's hand and was put into the events team's hands. They royally screw this up. However the thing I will say for them, is that they typically learn from their mistakes. It is unfortunate that your friend traveled so far to have such a bad experience. I think I know who it is you're talking about. I was engaged with somebody talking about this on a Facebook page.

I have yet to go to a forgeworld event. I have only gone to black library events.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Ghost Hand posted:

The event you were talking about was taken out of Forge world's hand and was put into the events team's hands. They royally screw this up. However the thing I will say for them, is that they typically learn from their mistakes. It is unfortunate that your friend traveled so far to have such a bad experience. I think I know who it is you're talking about. I was engaged with somebody talking about this on a Facebook page.

I have yet to go to a forgeworld event. I have only gone to black library events.

Yeah, this dude basically sleeps with fw books and he was ready to swear them off.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

TTerrible posted:

Does Eidolon count as a praetor for the purposes of command squads in 30k? So if he takes a jump pack they can too

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Cant Legion command squads take jump packs any way? And i'm pretty sure he has master of the legion and isnt a centurion, so it stands to reason he could take a LCS.
E: just looked, any model with master of the legion can take a Legion command squad. So a Delegatus could take one too, neat.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 24, 2016

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Hencoe posted:

Cant Legion command squads take jump packs any way? And i'm pretty sure he has master of the legion and isnt a centurion, so it stands to reason he could take a LCS.
E: just looked, any model with master of the legion can take a Legion command squad. So a Delegatus could take one too, neat.

AFAIK they can only take one if their praetor takes one.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I'm not seeing an apothecary in this Deathwatch group...who the hell has a special team with no medic?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Uroboros posted:

I'm not seeing an apothecary in this Deathwatch group...who the hell has a special team with no medic?

Wasted opportunity for a Sanguinary Priest in black painted muscle armor to rep the Blood Angels. The generic BA assault dude is boring and clad in conspicuously nipple-free armor, he doesn't even have one of the snazzy single thruster jump packs.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
In defense of the design team they are a different group of people than the people who cast the parts and run events. I have respect for them as someone who worked in games before and can relate to some of the same bullshit including product piracy. Especially with the ramp up in FW books and hiring freeze I expect they are getting stretched thin lately. Yet the quality is still high (except for my Iron Warriors, obviously, because I have to bitch about that).

We had bad departments and good ones, but you are judged as a whole. Games is soul crushing in many ways, but customer ignorance and entitlement is probably the worst. I remember the community people just looking haggard and defeated by the end of each day. I worked at a 'good' company with well reviewed games so I can only imagine what its like at a place that disables facebook comments.

Safety Factor posted:

If you don't hear back within a few weeks they won't ever respond to it. I have asked about rules a few times and that was my experience. Sometimes I wish there was a closed door community project that would re-balance and clarify things beyond the studio team. I'd love that, but I know that nerds would find a way to ruin it too.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

muggins posted:

AFAIK they can only take one if their praetor takes one.

And the legion special characters with master of the legion are specified as praetors in the red book entry of the command squads retinue rule. So yes they can take a pack if he takes his.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

If you don't hear back within a few weeks they won't ever respond to it. I have asked about rules a few times and that was my experience. Sometimes I wish there was a closed door community project that would re-balance and clarify things beyond the studio team. I'd love that, but I know that nerds would find a way to ruin it too.

Welp. Is it worth sending the same question a second time? I'm actually curious what their ruling is going to be in this case.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Hencoe posted:

And the legion special characters with master of the legion are specified as praetors in the red book entry of the command squads retinue rule. So yes they can take a pack if he takes his.

Can you quote it? Not trying to be difficult, but it won't let me do it I BattleScribe and I suspect it's because the catalog author didn't see Eidolon as a praetor. It says specifically "if the command squads praetor has a jump pack..."

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

muggins posted:

Can you quote it? Not trying to be difficult, but it won't let me do it I BattleScribe and I suspect it's because the catalog author didn't see Eidolon as a praetor. It says specifically "if the command squads praetor has a jump pack..."

"They take up a single Force Organization chart choice with that Praetor"
The way I see it, if they are taken with the model, it specifies them as a praetor, this has only changed with the Delegatus which came out after the red book

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Yeah that's how I'd think it goes, and my friends would too, just sometimes a random 40k bro can be really annoying with rules reading

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Ork dex will be fancified tonight, work kicked my arse yesterday and I wasn't in the mood to write about green fungus people.

Ghost Hand I appreciate a lot the insight you give into the internal workings of GW and FW.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TTerrible posted:

I've already emailed them about both prior to posting here, so I'll see what response I get.

Regarding talking about recasts - I think being weirdly confrontational about it like that is a dick move. Don't go to Warhammer World on an open day so you can walk around and mutter about getting it all cheaper from China - no one forced you to attend the event. However, I wouldn't treat it like some kind of taboo topic if engaged in an adult conversation with FW staff.They do make it very easy for people to talk poo poo by charging premium prices and doing guy-in-his-garage kit levels of QA. They absolutely cannot have it both ways and when the QA reflects the price or vice versa, China will probably stop being an issue.

FAKE EDIT: By adult conversation I mean an informal chat that isn't started with "Hi guys! What army do you collect?!" in a retail setting.

Don't e-mail, call. If you call them they'll sort it out in 10 minutes, an e-mail can go unanswered for weeks.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Hencoe posted:

"They take up a single Force Organization chart choice with that Praetor"
The way I see it, if they are taken with the model, it specifies them as a praetor, this has only changed with the Delegatus which came out after the red book

Eidolon has the Warlord's Pride special rule which states that he will be the warlord in any game he's taken unless Fulgrim is also taken. He also has his own warlord trait baked into his profile.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
While I'm thinking about robots, HEY CARL tell your FW buddies that I've been waiting for Heresy-era mechanicum specific knight transfers since the first imperial knight kit came out, and to hurry the eff up already, thanks in advance.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Reynold posted:

While I'm thinking about robots, HEY CARL tell your FW buddies that I've been waiting for Heresy-era mechanicum specific knight transfers since the first imperial knight kit came out, and to hurry the eff up already, thanks in advance.

I can ask!

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Ghost Hand posted:

I can ask!

Much appreciated. I'm awful at freehanding, especially in white, and while I could probably reproduce many of the markings with a combination of the knight transfer sheet and iron hands transfer sheet chopped up and recombined, I know that by the time I got that sorted they'd release something better anyway.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If there's one thing from Forge World that I'd love to have, it would be things like weapons that are mentioned in army codices but aren't available in plastic. Things like force weapons for librarians or the components to make a techmarine on a bike. Just little stuff like that is what I'd love to be able to get hold of.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Star Man posted:

If there's one thing from Forge World that I'd love to have, it would be things like weapons that are mentioned in army codices but aren't available in plastic. Things like force weapons for librarians or the components to make a techmarine on a bike. Just little stuff like that is what I'd love to be able to get hold of.

Prepare to pay with a kidney if it happens.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I actually have two of those coming in the mail soon along with a Salamanders transfer sheet. Because new space marine kits only come with Ultramarines decals.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 24, 2016

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
And those transfers are different to the ones they've been using for the last 15 years so you can end up with some really annoying inconsistencies.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
What army fucks Dark Eldar the hardest? Asking for a friend.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

So here's a fun one.

The re-done Ghaz book includes the Kill Mob formation from one of the campaign supplements, it's one of the possible Core choices for the Great Waaagh Band.

GW have made a bundle for this formation, here: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Goff-Killmob

Note the description:

GW Site posted:

This bundle of ‘ead stomping miniatures is everything you need to field a Goff Killmob, found in Waaagh! Ghazghkull! You’ll receive a set of Killa Kans, a Gorkanaut, a box of five Nobz and Grukk Facerippa, two Deff Dreads, three sets of eleven Ork Boyz and a Goff Clan transfer sheet!

However this is wrong. You only get 33 Boyz, but the formation asks for 3 units of 20 (according to someone who'se got the updated digital one they didn't change this requirement). So either the description on the Webstore is wrong, or they forgot to change the requirements in the codex.

Seeking clarity I contacted their customer services (the only email I could find on their site):

My Email posted:

I was hoping you could help me with an enquiry - the Goff Kill Mob bundle https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Goff-Killmob states that it contains 'everything you need to field a Goff Killmob'.

However, I have heard that this formation required 3 mobs of at least 20 Orks, where the bundle has 3 mobs of 11.

Which is correct, can the Kill Mob formation be fielded solely with the the contents of a bundle or is the bundle description wrong?

I have just received the following response:

GW Customer Services Rep posted:

Hello Zak(sic)

Thank you for your e-mail and we can understand your concern with all the rumours flying about!

The webstore description is correct, so fear not your formation can take to the field with this bundle alone!

So there we have it, the new Codex is wrong. I'll probably send them a message back confirming this is official errata before posting it to other sites. It makes using the Kill Mob as the Great Waaagh Band formation core slightly more bearable.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Four Score posted:

What army fucks Dark Eldar the hardest? Asking for a friend.

Nearly any army updated after 2014?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Snollygoster posted:

Nearly any army updated after 2014?

Pretty much.

But from recent experience the guard order that lets you ignore cover (and thus jink saves) is a real motherfucker.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Dark Eldar can hold their own on scenario if the opposing army is slow, doesn't ignore cover and has problems dealing with MSU. They can also get a strong alpha strike against armies that rely on toughness (poison) or high AV (lances). Pretty much anything else and a game of Dark Eldar is basically about seeing if you can catch them all to table them before the game ends and is scored on scenario, where Dark Eldar might sneak a win due to massive amounts of small, fast obsec units.

Eldar are probably the worst matchup for Dark Eldar, considering none of the DE strengths are useful or Eldar do them better themselves, ontop of which the Eldar codex is absurd to begin with.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

koreban posted:

Eidolon has the Warlord's Pride special rule which states that he will be the warlord in any game he's taken unless Fulgrim is also taken. He also has his own warlord trait baked into his profile.

Yeah that's not the question tho

Re calling fw I don't think they have an 800 number lol, I've never called Blighty before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

muggins posted:

Yeah that's not the question tho

Re calling fw I don't think they have an 800 number lol, I've never called Blighty before

You want to dial 011 44 115 900 4995

Its currently 12.50pm in England. Customer service will be open for another 4 hours.

Assuming you're in the States that is.

• Locked thread