Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Thronde posted:

Not to mention cheap as poo poo Healthcare in the Obamacare age.

This right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Thronde posted:

Do what you want honestly. I don't partake of the weed, but between drill periods I let my chin get good and fuzzy. That said, I was out 4 years before going back in. Free money to sit on my rear end? Trips to places to do cool poo poo (because I actually like working on gear and unfucking ITs)? Not to mention cheap as poo poo Healthcare in the Obamacare age.

As if healthcare was any cheaper before.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Citibank screwed up and had to overnight me a travel card.
It requires a signature.
Looks like I'm staying home all day!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Thronde posted:

Do what you want honestly. I don't partake of the weed, but between drill periods I let my chin get good and fuzzy. That said, I was out 4 years before going back in. Free money to sit on my rear end? Trips to places to do cool poo poo (because I actually like working on gear and unfucking ITs)? Not to mention cheap as poo poo Healthcare in the Obamacare age.

Also the only retirement you can be sure won't be raided, cancelled, or wiped out in a market crash.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

lol if you're in

This.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Do we now have more ex-Navy posters than active duty in this thread? It seems like the "join the military" thread is a lot quieter than it used to be too.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Laranzu posted:

Citibank screwed up and had to overnight me a travel card.
It requires a signature.
Looks like I'm staying home all day!

did they close your account due to inactivity with no notice

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Do we now have more ex-Navy posters than active duty in this thread? It seems like the "join the military" thread is a lot quieter than it used to be too.

We did it. GiP saved other goons from joining the military, going to college and attaining careers without falling into the trap of free college and exotic poon.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Lucius posted:

Most AD in this thread are crypto intel weenies (myself included) or the token nuke and of course the nobels. I think poopkitty is really the only active seagoing rate here.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Pandasmores posted:

We did it. GiP saved other goons from joining the military, going to college and attaining careers without falling into the trap of free college and exotic poon.

Is it really a trap though? Maybe I've been out for so long that I've got rose colored glasses but the post911 gi bill is really loving good. Just don't sign a 6 year contract.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

did they close your account due to inactivity with no notice

Nope! Card was expiring the day I was supposed to depart, so I called to get a new card with updated expiration.

They sent me the same card.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Null Integer posted:

Most AD in this thread are crypto intel weenies (myself included) or the token nuke and of course the nobels. I think poopkitty is really the only active seagoing rate here.

ABE, but I at least qualified for IT.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sir Lucius posted:

This is the case with the AF thread.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sir Lucius posted:

Nerds in their 30s don't tend to want to join the military. Look at the SA demographics.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just your friendly reminder that if you reenlist or go from active to reserves you lose your right to bitch

Fool me once...

I didn't join for the post 9-11 nor did i understand how it worked. (How many other of you suckers paid into the Montgomery the first year) but you best believe I'm using that poo poo. Dope as gently caress

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 24, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

ABE, but I at least qualified for IT.

Why the gently caress would you go ABE when you had a choice of a rate that is better in pretty much every way, from post-sep employment to advancement while you're in and workload?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They told me I get to push the button that shoots aircraft off a catapult on a floating city.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Anita Dickinme posted:

They told me I get to push the button that shoots aircraft off a catapult on a floating city.

Every shooter I've ever heard has said it's the only job in the Navy it's impossible to get sick of

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

Every shooter I've ever heard has said it's the only job in the Navy it's impossible to get sick of

Shooters are not what he will be, shooters are Os direct the launch process and pull the trigger to launch. He will be this dude huddling in a dirty little pit between the cats with holdback bars and poo poo who has to prep the birds for launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjXxyFIF0Mk

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 24, 2016

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Just your friendly reminder that if you reenlist or go from active to reserves you lose your right to bitch

Fool me once...

I didn't join for the post 9-11 nor did i understand how it worked. (How many other of you suckers paid into the Montgomery the first year) but you best believe I'm using that poo poo. Dope as gently caress

I paid in an in like 20 more months of actual class time I'll get my 1200$ back. We'll see whose laughing then!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Shooters are not what he will be, shooters are Os direct the launch process and pull the trigger to launch. He will be this dude huddling in a dirty little pit between the cats with holdback bars and poo poo who has to prep the birds for launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjXxyFIF0Mk

Deckedge is an ABE qual who controls the shuttle movement and the whole launch process, which includes pressing the button. The shooter really just does math and a shoot-y thing with his hand most of the time.

But pretty much everything else involves dirty little pits.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

Nerds in their 30s don't tend to want to join the military. Look at the SA demographics.

Hey!

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Just out of curiosity, how can an aviation mechanic guy like our current MCPON have a combat action ribbon?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

germskr posted:

Just out of curiosity, how can an aviation mechanic guy like our current MCPON have a combat action ribbon?

Paper cut from his admin days.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Ah, nevermind. Straight from the archives of the Washington Post circa 1994.

Washington Post posted:

That ribbon is the Navy and Marine Corps equivalent of the Army's Combat Infantry Badge. But during the Gulf War, combat action was not even necessary to earn the Combat Action Ribbon. It was authorized to every crew member aboard 30 ships that happened to be floating north and west of specified latitude and longitude lines -- that is, anywhere in the mine-infested waters off the beaches of Kuwait.

Only two of those vessels actually were damaged by mines, but the crews on the other 28 ships received Combat Action Ribbons right along with the crews of the crippled Aegis missile cruiser USS Princeton and the amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli. This wholesale authorization of the ribbons ignored the Navy's own Awards Manual, which states that a ship must actually strike a mine or otherwise be engaged by enemy fire for its crew to rate this ribbon.

He's also got Kuwait and Saudi Arabia Liberation ribbons so my guess is he was part of that strike group.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/1994/04/03/heavy-medals/4c9e3c87-0a88-4334-b284-bd77035f91e2/

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is it really a trap though? Maybe I've been out for so long that I've got rose colored glasses but the post911 gi bill is really loving good. Just don't sign a 6 year contract.

I think it's a trap when people are too stupid to realize the things that come with service. It's just a strange phenomenon that happens in some of the questions threads where some people post about wanting to join and everyone here usually says "Well, how bad is your life really?". Depending on the situation the military may just be what they need, but there's always those that don't listen and then end up joining and post about how much they hate it without looking objectively at the situation they find themselves in to find positive moments in their careers. We all have had terrible days, but we've also had hilariously wonderful days we can recall with people around us that make the experience a worthy one.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Those are like the exact people that join the Navy?

"Welp I have this degree that doesn't really get me anywhere and I can't go to OCS and I'm tired of this poo poo job in the Midwest guess I'll join the Navy"

Just my own assessment but I think the Navy has the oldest dudes joining compares to any other branch

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

. We all have had terrible days, but we've also had hilariously wonderful days we can recall with people around us that make the experience a worthy one.

Are you high or something?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

"Welp I have this degree that doesn't really get me anywhere and I can't go to OCS and I'm tired of this poo poo job in the Midwest guess I'll join the Navy"

Just my own assessment but I think the Navy has the oldest dudes joining compares to any other branch

Might have something to do with it accepting the oldest (along with the CoastGuard). The cutoff for active is 35 and 40 for reserve.

Perhaps my experience is above average but I got a little break from my job, bills got payed, learned some new stuff, incredibly cheap and compared to my works insurance very good insurance. I also got to experience a daily real life comedy from all my young coworkers.

The NOSC is frustrating but otherwise I'm just a weekendofficerworker. Life aint so bad.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Pandasmores posted:

We all have had terrible days, but we've also had hilariously wonderful days we can recall with people around us that make the experience a worthy one.

ITT: Stockholm syndrome.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

germskr posted:

Ah, nevermind. Straight from the archives of the Washington Post circa 1994.

He's also got Kuwait and Saudi Arabia Liberation ribbons so my guess is he was part of that strike group.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/1994/04/03/heavy-medals/4c9e3c87-0a88-4334-b284-bd77035f91e2/

I'm bored this morning, so after a quick lookup, his bio indicates he was part of either HM-14 or HM-18 at the time. HM-14 was stationed out of Abu Dhabi and was in charge of Helo Minesweeping for the whole of the Gulf at the time. I couldn't find any info on the deployment history of HM-18, as it was decomissioned in 1995 and integrated into HM-14.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

me.txt

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

poopkitty posted:

ITT: Stockholm syndrome.

Says the lifer...

2 more years until I retire

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

vulturesrow posted:

Says the lifer...

2 more years until I retire

83 days until I'm on the plane to Seattle to outprocess.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

poopkitty posted:

Watching all the Seconds that I'm technically responsible for get out after their first/second enlistment does give me pangs of jealousy.

If I started out in their rate/specialty I sure as hell would too.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Laranzu posted:

Watching all the Seconds that I'm technically responsible for get out after their first/second enlistment does give me pangs of jealousy.

If I started out in their rate/specialty I sure as hell would too.

Are they even staying in the community or just getting out because Navy lol

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

poopkitty posted:

Congratulations, less than a a calendar quarter left.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Null Integer posted:

Are they even staying in the community or just getting out because Navy lol

Lets just say we mark down "Navy LOL" type functions as "SNB" in the scheduler. Stupid Navy Bullshit happens entirely too often, to the point that the civilians see some military as second class citizens because they are too unreliable.

One guy has a really good chance at getting his same job as a civilian. The other got out and moved to Colorado for a baller job where he can smoke weed all day and make fat stacks.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Especially nukes. I swear half of Reactor on my ship has a degree already, just couldn't be bothered with OCS, or got lovely grades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Hobolicious posted:

Especially nukes. I swear half of Reactor on my ship has a degree already, just couldn't be bothered with OCS, or got lovely grades.

You sure they didn't just pick up the excelsior / Thomas edison degree after they went through the nuke pipeline? Takes like 16 credit hours to get a degree and deny yourself pell grants for the rest of your life!!!

• Locked thread