Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lotish posted:

So if I'm curious about DQ Heroes 2, should I play the first or is this new one probably fine as a stand alone/introduction?

It is a great game, but a few of things:

1. It is more an action RPG with musou elements than a straight up musou game.

2. Lay down helper monsters away from the objective. The enemies will ignore the monster in favor of beating on the objective and make them not as effective as they could.

3. Pick Aurora, unless you love one joke characters.

4. It takes a few levels for things to really get going. It will be a bit slow till then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I once played 4 Empires with infinite musou Xploder codes on. It took a minute to kill one officer in later battles. Presumably, there were better offensive options though. What pissed me off is that items were one use only then you have to find them again.

Can't believe I forgot about duels :doh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I kinda enjoy learning about the setting, which the Orochi games don't provide, and most of the RoTK games need too much micromanagement to get anywhere with. I've been eyeing the PS2 version of X since the officer focus rather than national focus looks right up my alley.

Romance of Three Kingdoms X is one of my favorite games of all time, I defiantly recommend it. You don't have to micromanage anything if you don't want to, you can just wander the countryside chilling out with historical Chinese guys.

The Empire mode in the Dynasty Warrior games is really quite shallow, an usually just amounts to a fancy random level generator.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what kind of world is this where people hate DW4's weapon system?

DW4 has:
the best costumes
one of the best chi bi's
broken as gently caress ma chao (which owns real hard)
tons of secret stages

DW5 has:
the same weapon system every other one has so if you play DW7/8 you'll be doing the same poo poo
worse costumes
no one cares about guan yu

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
DW4 also has the dreadful duel system, and that loving Nanman stage. So good it's on both Wu and Shu.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sudden Javelin posted:

DW4 also has the dreadful duel system

We must not have played the same game, there is nothing dreadful about playing as Custom Officer F (Rapier) using your musou to instantly kill Lu Bu with a thousand-hit combo on the highest difficulty.

failing that, aiming out the corner of the fence with the bow

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

The White Dragon posted:

We must not have played the same game, there is nothing dreadful about playing as Custom Officer F (Rapier) using your musou to instantly kill Lu Bu with a thousand-hit combo on the highest difficulty.

failing that, aiming out the corner of the fence with the bow

Glad I'm not the only one who'd do that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Mortimer posted:

DW4 has:
the best costumes

Yeah but I got those in Dynasty Warriors 5 after beating each and every storymode when I was in highschool. :shepicide:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKNuaXWsYp4

Latest stream also confirmed that everyone from the first game that isn't already there is DLC. They'll start off free.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I've been waiting patiently for Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires to go on sale... Still waiting...

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Sudden Javelin posted:

DW4 also has the dreadful duel system, and that loving Nanman stage. So good it's on both Wu and Shu.

gently caress the Nanman mission, I still have nightmares about the time my buddy and me were trying to unlock Zhou Tai's final weapon. I played a poo poo ton of DW4 and I loved it, but it could be awfully frustrating.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
It's canon that 3 is the best dynasty warriors game.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I never had a problem with the Nanman mission and, indeed, enjoyed it quite a bit. I wish there was more Nanman stuff in the newer games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Manic X posted:

I've been waiting patiently for Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires to go on sale... Still waiting...

Just get Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires, it's almost the same game.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
^That's disappointing to hear. I have 7 Empires already, I was looking forwards to 8 Empires being a much better game.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

And 7 has better maps IMO. Compared to 8 they're generally less convoluted, smaller, and more open so you can get to the killing faster. If you have any inkling to try 8 Empires just get the free alliances version, save enough points to buy yourself the items and power ups and go into that mode where they expect you to use 2 players. It's more intense and thus better than anything 7 Empires has to offer.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The latest trailer for the new Nobunaga's Ambition expansion just came out and it looks really, really good.

http://gematsu.com/2016/03/nobunagas-ambition-sphere-influence-sengoku-risshiden-second-trailer

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

Policenaut posted:

The latest trailer for the new Nobunaga's Ambition expansion just came out and it looks really, really good.

http://gematsu.com/2016/03/nobunagas-ambition-sphere-influence-sengoku-risshiden-second-trailer

Fingers crossed we get this one too!

If I recall correctly, new romance was getting an Asian/English version, wasn't it? Was anything said about new Nobunaga?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Been playing 3 lately.

Humbling to a extreme degree. Too weak to get through anything.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Dragon Quest Heroes is 30% off this weekend on Steam. I was just thinking that I needed a new Warriors title in my life.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It plays a fair amount different than most Warriors games, be warned. It's still really good though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Week and a half until Samurai Warriors 4 Empires. I'm pumped! It better be a whole lot better than Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hmmmmmm, on one hand I'm pretty SW4'd out, on the other I'll have birthday money.....

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So uh...it's kind of odd how Power and Glory, the Chibi theme for Wei in DW2, has a voice saying "Doctor Carter, you have a visitor in the main lobby." I mean I know Japan is all about putting random English in things, but it's still pretty bizarre.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, what's upcoming in Warriors stuff, goons?

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

Bloodly posted:

Been playing 3 lately.

Humbling to a extreme degree. Too weak to get through anything.

Nanman stage :negative:

I still think five was the best blend of everything, the little spoken bits for each stage may have been corny as hell but I loved them, Wei Yan's was just...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

So, what's upcoming in Warriors stuff, goons?

SW4 Empires in the west soon, Dragon Quest Heroes 2 in Japan later in the year.... Surprisingly little actually.

Hyrule Warrors 3DS I guess. Don't bother unless you have a New though.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

DaveCG posted:

Nanman stage :negative:

I still think five was the best blend of everything, the little spoken bits for each stage may have been corny as hell but I loved them, Wei Yan's was just...

This; though it's a shame they don't let you use fusion or something to let you make the perfect weapon like in Warriors Orochi.

Twelve by Pies posted:

So uh...it's kind of odd how Power and Glory, the Chibi theme for Wei in DW2, has a voice saying "Doctor Carter, you have a visitor in the main lobby." I mean I know Japan is all about putting random English in things, but it's still pretty bizarre.

Maybe the entire scenario is the hallucination of someone in the modern day going on a killing spree.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder how long it'll be to Pirate Warriors 4.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Me, I'm just thirsting for next-gen Dynasty Warriors Gundam. Be interesting to see what they decide to bring in. Maybe a fleshed-out 00 roster like Reborn did with SEED? G-Reco, AGE, or IBO suits? Going full lunatic and bringing in Build Fighters? The possibilities are both endless and very, very fun.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they said there will be info about dw9 this year

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Please bring in the ez-8 and the Alex. Also a new crossover storyline because I have reenacted most of UC three times now and I love dumb stupid crossover stories.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gundam Reborn port for PS4, please.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Gundam Reborn port for PC, please.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sure, I can accept that.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Reborn is bad though. DWG3 would be a better port but I don't think they want to step back like that. I'm also eagerly awaiting the next DWG.

Also, I'm finding DQH to be quite enjoyable but holy hell the cutscenes and characters are abysmal. Also the PC port seems pretty good but appears to have some weird optimization issues. No amount of tweaking seems to get the audio to sync with the video in cutscenes and every stage runs very slow for about 10 seconds when it starts.

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah. I don't know how well PW3 sold but it was pretty well received. I hope we get info on a new one soon. However the actual story hasn't really advanced much from where PW3 ends so if we do get one soonish hopefully they will spend more time fleshing out side characters and expanding the roster.I'd really like to see playable Arlong, Kuro, CP9 bros, Jesus, etc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jibo posted:

Yeah. I don't know how well PW3 sold but it was pretty well received.

It sold about 1 million total worldwide, with 73k on steam.

Breakdown was about 580k in general Asian, 100k in NA, and 320k in Europe.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Jibo posted:

Reborn is bad though. DWG3 would be a better port but I don't think they want to step back like that. I'm also eagerly awaiting the next DWG.
Is this the common consensus on Reborn? I've not played a DWG game and have been keeping an eye out for this if it pops up in a sale, should I not bother? Or is it alright enough of an introduction?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't have a problem with it outside of it being incredibly easy, even for a Warriors game. None of the Gundam Warriors games are perfect by any stretch of the imagination anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Policenaut posted:

Oh man they better translate that and release it on Steam. Sphere of Influence is the best Nobunaga's Ambition game yet.