Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

gay picnic defence posted:

I thought I had it bookmarked but I guess I didn't because I can't find it. I think I remember you posting in it though so check your post history

To my knowledge the post history doesn't include archived threads.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Spending a fixed percentage of GDP on defense seems like the dumbest thing. Anyone doing budgets for a business or whatever who suggested allocating spending on XZY like that would be marched out the door within minutes.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
You know they'll still just sling the accusations around but cheer that ICAC has no teeth to investigate their own corruption. They don't want anything investigated, just cheap points to score off their opponents. It's all they've ever wanted.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Spending 2% of GDP on defence is one of the conditions of being friendly with NATO, isn't it?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

open24hours posted:

Spending 2% of GDP on defence is one of the conditions of being friendly with NATO, isn't it?

Even if it is, we're a long loving way from the North Atlantic.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:rolleyes: It's a sad day when even I aren't cynical enough.

open24hours posted:

!?

No. NATO couldn't be more willing to blow smoke up our arses if we tried:

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_48899.htm

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_118965.htm?selectedLocale=en

http://www.defence.gov.au/publications/Australia-NATO-Individual-Partnership-Cooperation-Program.pdf

As a non-signatory we are their biggest outside partner, because babies deserve to be safe where eve.....

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/2014/05/06/Defence-budget-2-target-essential-for-Australias-alliance.aspx
If Australia does not contribute financially to the alliance we will end up paying in other ways — through the increasing erosion of Australia's sovereignty. This includes expanding the American military presence on Australian soil, deepening our bilateral co-operation on ballistic missile defence, and an open financial commitment to failing American fighter projects.

Note that I don't necessarily agree with this, but it seems to be the kind of thinking that informs these decisions.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The entire national security policy analysis business is basically filled with old dudes that constantly repeat that defence spending needs to get back to 2% of gdp (some of these old dudes will of course be connected to arms manufacturers) because it's just one big circlejerk. A US admiral made a comment a couple of years ago about our defence spending being a little low, and I think the Coalition may have said something about increasing it to help maintain the US alliance, but that was probably just election-mode bullshit.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
how incompetent do you have to be that even bill loving shorten can zing you

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Advocating for defence spending carries with it the implicit and incorrect assumption that the extermination of Australia and Australians would be bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-23/questions-linger-after-death-of-wife-of-nauru's-justice-minister/7193090

quote:

The shocking death of one woman in Nauru continues to haunt the
island nation.

Madelyn Adeang, the wife of the country's powerful Justice Minister, was
found burnt to death in the garden of her home in April 2013.
Attempts by Nauru police to investigate her death proved difficult and the
incident has raised serious questions about Nauru's commitment to the
rule of law.

As the country's Justice, Border Control and Finance Minister, David
Adeang holds the reins of power on the tiny island of 10,000 people.
Steven Bliim was once Nauru's solicitor­general and legal adviser to Mr
Adeang.
"I would certainly describe him as the person who appeared to be the one
calling the shots in terms of most major government policy lines, probably,
yes, in consultation with the President, but he certainly has a significant
say in what happened as opposed to other cabinet ministers," he said.
Geoffrey Eames, the former chief justice of Nauru, described Mr Adeang
as highly intelligent.
"He's a very confident man, generally regarded throughout Nauru on all
sides as being the power behind the throne," he said.
Police statement on death 'woefully inadequate'

In 2013, Nauru's most senior legal and police officers were all Australians.
But they fell out of favour in quick succession, not long after calls were made for police to further investigate the death of
Mr Adeang's wife.
"I was proposing to fly to Nauru and the government simply told the airline company not to give me a ticket as my visa
had been cancelled," Mr Eames said.
When asked who cancelled the visa, Mr Eames said: "It was David Adeang."

Peter Law served as Nauru's resident magistrate and coroner from 2012 to
He called for police to further investigate the death of Madelyn Adeang,
after Nauru police first presented him with a brief statement about her
death.
"It was woefully inadequate," he said.

Richard Britten, former director of police on Nauru
"It simply said there had been an accident and that the late Mrs Adeang
had left the house and was carrying a bucket of petrol and somehow an
accident occurred whereby that bucket of petrol became alight and she was burnt to death.
"The impression I got from the police investigators was that they were fearful of taking the matter further and they were
very concerned about having to talk with the Minister for Justice.
"That was what was expressed to me."

Reports of argument before Madelyn Adeang's death

While it is not suggested that David Adeang was involved in the death of his wife, the Nauru Police investigation was
proving difficult.

Richard Britten was the former director of police on Nauru and has recently retired from the Australian Federal Police.
He has not spoken to the media since leaving the island, but agreed to answer Lateline's questions in written form.
"Some statements were taken from neighbours who reported hearing a heated argument between a male and a female
just prior to Madelyn's death," he told Lateline.

Lateline sent a list of the questions to Mr Adeang but he refused to answer
them, calling them outrageous and deeply offensive.
But he provided this response:
"While I will not address these claims I do want it on record for clarification
purposes that Nauru rarely, if ever, has coronial inquests and that there is
no morgue on Nauru, therefore we must bury our dead quickly — usually
the same day," he said.

Peter Law agrees with the Minister that inquests are rare.
He says they are called when police investigations fail to indicate the cause of death.
But Mr Law said Mr Adeang has missed the point.
"It is an irrelevant statement really because the fact is the magistrate has responsibilities under the act," he said.
"It's very disappointing that it would happen to anyone that there wouldn't be a proper explanation about someone's
death.
"It might very well be the circumstances that the late Mrs Adeang committed suicide, that could be, but there should have
been some proper investigation by the police."

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

KingEup posted:

To my knowledge the post history doesn't include archived threads.

Is this the thread you're looking for (requires archives, obviously) Why Australia is Screwed

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is this the thread you're looking for (requires archives, obviously) Why Australia is Screwed

Maybe a mod can reanimate it for us

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
oh noes Kelly O'Dwyer, the prices of existing dwellings will fall, tragically meaning that young people might be able to live near things like reasonable infrastructure and not in Sydney's semi-rural wasteland fringes

oh the humanatee

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
~zingers!~

Seriously though, shorten dropped that burn with such a deadpan look and without taking his eyes off the camera, that was a loving ice burn.

Now if only you'd stop being a worker screwing, baby torturing right wing party hack Blob Berson you might be able to work your way up from "loathing" to "distaste".

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

http://www.theage.com.au/business/energy/lngs-hammer-blow-to-thermal-coal-20160223-gn1cod.html

quote:

Coal's demise could be even more brutal than analysts currently anticipate, with LNG delivering the hammer blow.

The global drive towards cleaner energy, falling power intensity and increasing power plant efficiency are among the factors weighing on thermal coal, consumption of which may have already peaked, Macquarie analysts say.

"Our prices forecasts all the way out to 2020 are thus below current spot prices," they wrote in a note to clients this week.

Thermal coal out of Newcastle was fetching $US40 a tonne this week, down from close to $US130 at the peak of the commodity boom in 2011.

The World Bank forecasts Australian thermal coal to nudge up to $US58 by 2020, according to projections made in January.

But the outlook for one of Australia's biggest export items may be even gloomier, and a massive liquefied natural gas oversupply is the culprit.

Oil and gas explorer Oil Search said on Tuesday that the LNG market was already oversupplied as new projects in Australia and North America ramp up exports and was only likely to return to balance in 2020.

"Global gas is about to enter uncharted waters, with a significant supply surplus opening up in the LNG market as several large facilities come on stream over the next five years," the analysts said.

Macquarie predicts that the LNG market will be in surplus for the foreseeable future, rising to a peak of ~70 million tonnes a year by 2019.

"This peak is a thermal coal equivalent of ~190mtpa, or over 20 per cent of the current seaborne market," the analysts said.

"If a meaningful portion of this surplus LNG manages to displace coal in regions with spare capacity (mainly Europe), coal's demise might even more brutal than we currently anticipate."

The key question is how the projected LNG surplus is dealt with.

One solution, Macquarie suggests, would be for certain LNG ramp-ups not to happen or for existing capacity to be closed.

The analysts noted Australian LNG producers were less likely to sit on excess volumes, as most of the upcoming new capacity of around 62mtpa had been sold on long-term contracts, linked to oil prices.

"The other, more worrying, solution would be for LNG to compete aggressively on price with thermal coal in the spot market; particularly markets that tax coal imports and/or those that have a price for carbon. And of course, these markets must have enough spare gas-generating capacity to be able to switch away from coal."

The most obvious region to satisfy the above characteristics is Europe, Macquarie said, adding the continent was unlikely to mop up the complete oversupply as wind and solar expansion were more likely to fill the gaps left by coal.

"And if the European scope for taking volume is exhausted, it means LNG potentially pricing into China or elsewhere in Asia (for industrial processes as much as power generation), meaning knock-on impacts for other emerging nations who may rethink their 'coal is cheapest' strategy. This would be thermal coal's hammer blow."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/jamesmassola/status/702294133004632064

It should be really clear at this point that Turnbull is trying to placate a lot of the hard-right elements in the party.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Oh btw Chris Uhlmanns next book is clancyesque wingnut fodder about the weakened states of Australia and the US standing back and allowing the red menace to colonise the pacific. Or maybe that was his next article, not totally sure.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
^^^^
"Coal is the future of this great country" - Some irrevocable shitbird 2015

open24hours posted:

Note that I don't necessarily agree with this, but it seems to be the kind of thinking that informs these decisions.
Not wanting to be like a dog with a bone here but what exactly is this thing that the US are subsidising us (and NATO) against given the fall of the Soviet Union in 1989 (A point I made in my original post)?

We should be looking at reducing the size of all armed forces and the associated expenditure globally. On a bang for buck level and as the first NATO link I posted before demonstrates our current hyper involvement in global conflict means we can spend less for a higher profile. Not that I agree with this policy either. 2% is ridiculous and finding people who aren't part of the industrial military cartel who say otherwise will be a difficult task indeed.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://twitter.com/jamesmassola/status/702294133004632064

It should be really clear at this point that Turnbull is trying to placate a lot of the hard-right elements in the party.

He'll have his work cut out. A few months ago he had some nice polling to keep the loonies in their place but with him now neck and neck with the ALP the advantage of him over Abbott becomes less and less.

I think they'll claw their way over the line, probably with a reduced majority because it looks like they have been just caught off guard by having an opposition for a change. I have no faith in the ALP to maintain their current form once the LNP machine kicks in.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I predict ALP minority. Unless Australia is somehow worse than the Democratic Queensland Republic.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cartoon posted:

^^^^
"Coal is the future of this great country" - Some irrevocable shitbird 2015
Not wanting to be like a dog with a bone here but what exactly is this thing that the US are subsidising us (and NATO) against given the fall of the Soviet Union in 1989 (A point I made in my original post)?

We should be looking at reducing the size of all armed forces and the associated expenditure globally. On a bang for buck level and as the first NATO link I posted before demonstrates our current hyper involvement in global conflict means we can spend less for a higher profile. Not that I agree with this policy either. 2% is ridiculous and finding people who aren't part of the industrial military cartel who say otherwise will be a difficult task indeed.

That's more of a philosophical question. I don't have much of an interest in defence so I don't know the answer, but I'd guess if you asked someone involved they would say that potential threats to our sovereignty do exist and this spending is what's keeping them from turning into actual threats.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Many thanks.

So many morons in that thread.

Edit: Looks like the OP NoNotTheMindProbe still posts on SA. What a dumbass. Meanwhile I paid my mortgage off in 6 years since he posted it. What a financial genius he was. He'd probably still tell me I should've been renting.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 24, 2016

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Birb Katter posted:

Tepper writes of getting a ride with an Uber driver who said he had his own house, had bought five investment properties in Queensland with no cash deposits, and went guarantor for his daughter who bought a $2.2 million home.

This guy's hosed.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Defence spending should be significantly increased and a isolationist foreign policy pursued. Australia's reliance on the US for defence forces us to engage and assist them in their imperialist wars and makes us more of a target, which then in turn increases our need for US defence which we then pay for with assisting them in their imperialist wars...

End the cycle, Australia Uber Alles.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The worm is definitely turning. My parents have stopped hassling me about buying a house. I spoke to them about property last week and they didn't give me the "I know you have your opinions on the property market, but we really think you should buy a house, rent money is dead money" poo poo that they've been giving me for the last 5 years.

EDIT: ^^ If we're going isolationist we should slash defence spending, because who the gently caress are we going to win a war against without the US backing us? New Zealand?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Obviously we'd have to pursue a nuclear program and get in on the MAD action.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
https://twitter.com/ash_leal/status/702308547690786816

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I sure hope nobody followed the advice of most of that thread and sold property in 2011.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

KingEup posted:

Many thanks.

So many morons in that thread.

Edit: Looks like the OP NoNotTheMindProbe still posts on SA. What a dumbass. Meanwhile I paid my mortgage off in 6 years since he posted it. What a financial genius he was. He'd probably still tell me I should've been renting.

another meaningful contribution from kingeww

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

thatfatkid posted:

Defence spending should be significantly increased and a isolationist foreign policy pursued. Australia's reliance on the US for defence forces us to engage and assist them in their imperialist wars and makes us more of a target, which then in turn increases our need for US defence which we then pay for with assisting them in their imperialist wars...

End the cycle, Australia Uber Alles.

The cheaper option is to make all children read the Tomorrow When The War Began series so they can learn how to be good insurgents when not-Indonesia invades.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

xPanda posted:

The cheaper option is to make all children read the Tomorrow When The War Began series so they can learn how to be good insurgents when not-Indonesia invades.

Something something foreign fighters laws?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://newmatilda.com/2016/02/24/exclusive-anti-safe-schools-emails-to-mps-reveal-homophobia-and-confusion-among-programs-opponents/

quote:

While some in Canberra are choosing their words carefully, emails obtained by New Matilda reveal a dark streak to a campaign spearheaded by the Australian Christian Lobby. Max Chalmers reports.

Emails sent to MPs encouraging them to oppose the LGBTI friendly Safe Schools Coalition describe homosexuality as “unnatural”, compare it to murder, warn God sees gays and lesbians as an abomination, rail against “heterophobia”, and claim lesser evils than the program have caused civilisations to end.

The disturbing content the campaign has produced emerges a day after the Federal Coalition agreed to review the Safe Schools program after complaints from the party’s right forced Education Minister Simon Birmingham to ease off previous statements of stern support.

New Matilda has seen a relatively small portion of the thousands of emails sent to NSW state MPs but they reveal a deep seam of open homophobia, paranoia, and confusion at the heart of the movement opposing the Safe Schools Coalition.

The majority of the emails appear to have been sent with the assistance of a generator produced by the Australian Christian Lobby, and the conservative lobby group’s talking points can be found throughout.

Many of the emails are openly hostile to LGBTI people.

“Do not allow these funds to be use for the advancement and propagation of gay lesbian agenda. We do not want our children to adopt these unnatural habits,” one says.

“It is an thinly disguised attempt to indoctrinate our children and young people into accepting homosexuality and ‘gender diversity’ as normal,” another notes.

The emails, some of which come from concerned parents, often put forward general religious objections to homosexuality or gender diversity.

Yet another email states:

“I am very disappointed to find a backside way to approve things God Almighty forbid using our children to force us to accept and also to distort a whole generation by insulting the human race. God only created am man & a woman nothing was unclear, to get marry each other & have babies & fill the earth.”

The Safe Schools Coalition provides resources to schools on request, and is currently working with close to 500 schools around the country. The material it offers for primary and high schools differs. Even once a school has signed on to work with the Coalition, teachers and principals are able to choose which resources they would like to use.

New Matilda understands the service offered to primary schools is specialised; a school with a trans child or a large number of same-sex parents may ask for assistance with training or resources, for instance.

Many of those who have contacted MPs opposing the program insist they support anti-bullying campaigns to help LGBTI students and that they are not homophobes, but argue Safe Schools goes too far, and introduces children to age-inappropriate material. A closer look at the emails, however, tends to cast doubt on how genuine those claims are.

“Please note, I am not homophobic,” one person writes. “That implies a fear. That would be like saying I’m lie-aphobic. Or treat-your-parents-disrespectfully-aphobic. Or steal-aphobic. Or murder-aphobic. I just believe homosexual behaviour is wrong.”

Another email reads, in its entirety: “Please stop. Gay and lasbians. (Abominacion) God never aprove gays and lasbians. Stop Know.”

New Matilda has opted not to fix the grammar or spelling reproduced here as it is indicative of the broader correspondence.
:masterstroke:

A key theme hit on by those who have written to MPs is that a secretive and powerful ‘gay lobby’ is responsible for the Safe Schools program.

“Why all the propaganda…. seems very political to me. Once again the loud gay community with lots of money is influencing our politicians,” one says.

Others attempt to provide their own sex education lessons to MPs, such as the following:

“The focus on explicit sexual deviations from the natural design of the human body lead to health risks both mental, physical, and sociological. The fact is the vagina in a female is primarily for the male penis to introduce sperm to fertilise ova and thus create another life. God created this act to be pleasurable. The anus is meant for expulsion of body waste products, and using it for sex is unhealthy and dangerous.”

Greens MLC David Shoebridge’s office told New Matilda they had received well over 2,000 emails since October 2015. Labor MLC Penny Sharpe said she had been sent “hundreds”, and said they were “at best misinformed, at worst homophobic and transphobic, and deliberately misleading.”

NSW Greens Sexuality and Gender Identity spokesperson, Jenny Leong, accused the Australian Christian Lobby of running a misinformation campaign.

“Sadly, many of the people opposed to Safe Schools are opposed to diversity in general,” Leong said. “They won’t accept our LGBTIQ communities and seem to think that by sticking their heads in the sand they can make diversity, in terms of sexuality and gender identity, go away. They need to realise that being gay, being transgender, being intersex, being a child in a same-sex family, are all very real experiences and very normal experiences that should be celebrated, not condemned or ignored.”

Much of the anger in the emails is not actually directed at content in the Safe Schools Coalition’s core All of Us brochure, instead making reference to peripheral materials, especially the Minus18 website, which Safe Schools recommends as a useful resource.

The emails are particularly focused on the idea children are being taught in the classroom to bind their chests, a practice used by some people who experience body dysphoria to reduce the appearance of breasts, by wearing compressing clothing. The claim is untrue, and is based on the fact an article on the Minus18 website lists ways this can be done safely. As BuzzFeed has reported previously, the ACL and anti-marriage equality groups have for some time been using chest-binding as a key talking point.

Minus18 CEO Micah Scott told BuzzFeed the resource was designed to ensure young people did not harm themselves if they engaged in the practice, common among transgender and gender diverse adolescents.

“Our transgender and gender diverse young people really identified that there were a number of people who were binding their chest,” he said. “But a lot of them weren’t aware of the risks, and they weren’t aware of what methods were safe.”

Though separate, Minus18 and Safe Schools have worked together in some instances.

ACL Managing Director Lyle Shelton told New Matilda his organisation was not able to vet the emails their website helped generate to send to MPs, but that around 5,777 had been sent. He noted those seen by New Matilda, around 80, made up a small component of the total.

“The difficulty is how do you quantify how many of them there are there,” he said. “We always encourage people to engage respectfully with MPs and be respectful in the way they present issues.”

Shelton said when he had showed the Safer Schools Coalition resources to Federal Coalition MP Scott Ryan, the Victorian Senator had agreed they were inappropriate.

Shelton said rather than a sign of the program’s success, the fact so many schools had signed up was negative for children.

Much of the correspondence seen by New Matilda argues that there are bigger issues than homophobic bullying in schools which should be focused on instead. Others say it is simply not an issue worth tackling.

“Please do the cost benefit analysis,” a parent implores. “For the potential benefits in relation to a very small percentage of kids who are bullied for not being heterosexually oriented, the cost in damage done in exposing all kids to information that normalises unnatural behaviour is simply not worth it.”

In the Federal Parliament yesterday, Coalition MP Andrew Hastie said he opposed the program because “it is ideological big government reaching into the lives of ordinary Australians”. Senator Cory Bernardi told his party the initiative indoctrinated children “with Marxist cultural relativism” and has previously argued it would make them “advocates for the homosexual cause”.

The grassroots backers of Bernardi and Hastie are being a little less subtle. In fact, so worried are they, many saw the Safe Schools Coalition as contributing to the final decline of civilisation as we know it.

“Any society that can countenance such evils has reached an advanced stage of auto-destruction,” one email concludes.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The great cornerstone of civilisation: bullying children.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Welp, guess the first thing I'm gonna do when my computer gets to my new place is send an email to my new MP about this bullshit. And a thankyou to that Greens gender identity minister.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ooooo I'm soooooooo very very shocked. :rolleyes:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-24/eddie-obeid-trial-jury-dismissed/7195254

The jury were dismissed due to new evidence coming to light during the proceedings apparently. So it seems it was strictly procedural.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Lid posted:

https://newmatilda.com/2016/02/24/exclusive-anti-safe-schools-emails-to-mps-reveal-homophobia-and-confusion-among-programs-opponents/

In the Federal Parliament yesterday, Coalition MP Andrew Hastie said he opposed the program because “it is ideological big government reaching into the lives of ordinary Australians”.

Apart from everything else in that article that makes even my head hurt, this one particularly stands out for the cognitive dissonance. $8M for the Safe Schools program is "ideological big government reaching into the lives of ordinary Australians", but $250M for the Chaplain's Program isn't?

I'd love to get access to the material that the SSP puts out - you have to register on the site to do that, though I could go to the Minus 18 site I guess. I've got friends who are teachers - I'll have to see what they've got. I keep seeing the ACL stuff popping up in my FB feed.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

I agree. Once you normals find out how great it is to be a homo you'll never go back.

Keep how great homo-sex is a secret otherwise nobody will have kids.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
The thing about religious nutters is that lots of religious kids eventually think "Bullshit" and stop being religious. The only people who become religious are people who've had a mental breakdown or are otherwise vulnerable due to their circumstances - overcoming addiction, etc. This probably leads to a net loss of religious people over time, despite the way that they seem to breed like loving rabbits.

I posit that the outcomes of this are 1) the proportion of the population who are religious nutters will steadily decrease over time, but 2) the religious nutters will become a stronger and more potent form of religious nutter over time. Concentrating the insanity, as it were.

However, it would seem reasonable to predict that politicians will eventually have to stop pandering to them as the religious nutter demographic grows slimmer and slimmer, unless the loving Muzzos take over and implement that Shareear thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
There is way less to be afraid of. Kids aren't afraid of smallpox or the plague coming to claim them for sinning. Therefore rap music and masturbate every day. Deities don't care kids!

• Locked thread