Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, WADs were a custom format and all source ports have to implement that format, so the same WADs from forever ago still work great. Good job Carmack.

There are a few modern WADs that won't play nice with old engines / ports, but everything should at least be forwards-compatible. A source port could say "we're not going to handle X" so they could focus on Y or whatever, but there's not much reason to ever do that. You just add whatever you want to do instead as something around the original WAD options, there's no need to make old WADs incompatible like, ever.

But really fancy modern WADs that do stuff like room-over-room will require a specific sourceport and won't work on others at all.

There are a very few cases of old wads that won't play properly in newer engines because they don't preserve some specific functionality. In particular, I believe UAC_DEAD.WAD broke in newer versions of doom.exe because the functionality of Tag 666 changed subtly at some point. Although ironically, the break happened in later versions of the vanilla executables, so it's not a source port fuckup. It may even be that source ports have restored that functionality, but I don't know since I haven't played that wad in like a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JerryLee posted:

There are a very few cases of old wads that won't play properly in newer engines because they don't preserve some specific functionality. In particular, I believe UAC_DEAD.WAD broke in newer versions of doom.exe because the functionality of Tag 666 changed subtly at some point. Although ironically, the break happened in later versions of the vanilla executables, so it's not a source port fuckup. It may even be that source ports have restored that functionality, but I don't know since I haven't played that wad in like a decade.

Yeah ZDoom/GZDoom and PRBoom+ both have options you can set to fix UAC_DEAD

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Speaking of Doom mods, has anyone gotten mods to work with Doom 3: BFG Edition? I've been wanting to run this old DungeonDoom mod I found, but apparently BFG Edition was incompatible with code mods at launch...

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

Speaking of Doom mods, has anyone gotten mods to work with Doom 3: BFG Edition? I've been wanting to run this old DungeonDoom mod I found, but apparently BFG Edition was incompatible with code mods at launch...

BFG edition is a PC port of the console port of the PC version of Doom 3. The engine works in fundamentally different ways in some areas from the original and you'll find a hell of a lot of mods just straight up will not support it. I know Phobos doesn't. Get yourself a copy of the original if you wanna use anything but the most basic mods.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

AirRaid posted:

BFG edition is a PC port of the console port of the PC version of Doom 3. The engine works in fundamentally different ways in some areas from the original and you'll find a hell of a lot of mods just straight up will not support it. I know Phobos doesn't. Get yourself a copy of the original if you wanna use anything but the most basic mods.

https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG/releases

This is a source port for D3 BFG that lets you create or even modify vanilla D3 mods to work with BFG edition. Also allows for more graphic options, skippable cutscenes (speedrunners started using this source port).

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Edit: That's awesome! Thanks!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xenomrph posted:

Is the Chocolate Doom link not cooperating for anyone else? The page keeps timing out for me, but "downforeveryoneorjustme" insists that it's up.

Weird, when I linked it to you I went there first and it was fine, but now its not responding.

Guillermus posted:

https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG/releases

This is a source port for D3 BFG that lets you create or even modify vanilla D3 mods to work with BFG edition. Also allows for more graphic options, skippable cutscenes (speedrunners started using this source port).

This rules

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 24, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zaphod42 posted:

Weird, when I linked it to you I went there first and it was fine, but now its not responding.

Avast antivirus has been flagging the site as "not safe", as well. :ohdear:

Let's derail for a bit and talk about the Doom movie. :can:

I like the Doom movie as a generic sci fi action movie, even if it's a real bad "Doom" movie. I thought it had some neat characters and did some clever and interesting things, and the FPS sequence was pretty sweet.
On the other hand I really wanted a Doom movie with actual fireball-throwing demons from capital-H fire-and-brimstone Hell, and crazy flashing pentagrams and bleeding walls and demonic voices and poo poo.
Instead we got something like the Resident Evil movies, where it's a fun brainless action movie but really doesn't have anything in common with the games.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

The Doom books were one of many examples of Doom spin off stuff making ABSOLUTELY SURE not to include demons or hell in their story based on a game about demons from hell.

There are a pair of Doom3 novels that came out around 2008/2009, they don't outright say the monsters aren't demons from hell like other stuff did, but they're pretty noncommittal.

I really liked the story in Doom3, to be honest. I'm replaying the old Doom games in anticipation of the new one, I just wrapped up Doom 1 episode 4. That episode has some real motherfuckers.

Holy poo poo guys, the Doom books are my absolute all-time favourite.

Not those you talk about, though.

Lemme tell you something about our Doom books, written by a Hungarian sci-fi author under a pseudonym. It was back in the day when licensing and copyright weren't that strictly enforced in these parts of the woods, so these guys were doing their own Alien, Terminator and Predator book series. Maybe it was even one guy only, it's hard to tell, but they have a definitive style.

So, meet Doom. In around 203x, a prison break happens on a Martian penal colony. The leader, Alvaro Fuentes is a manic preacher, sentenced to several hundred years for leading a cult and committing some crimes against humanity. Together with some other like-minded people they break out of the prison and head to a research facility on the planet - one that is trying to find out something about a strange alien artifact called Mirror. Arrived to Mars 10 years or so ago, so far the Mirror has only shown that it can provide scientists with whatever they want to see - it's, as turns out, a contact attempt from some civilization far away, a thing that can read minds and project a being the recipient could find familiar and thus communicate with. Fuentes finds this mirror, figures that it's a message from his God. Since it responds to his extremely messed up imagination, he starts to build an army of mutants and horrors to strike back against those imprisoning him. And also to bring the cleansing fire he thinks the Earth needs so much.

The Mars administration find themselves unable to cope with an army of war criminals and unimaginable monsters, and request help from Earth. Enter one of our heroes, Andrew A. Milne, a decorated war hero specialized in remote controlling squads via a brain implant. Waking up with his personality backed up on a chip and placed into a temporary biomechanic skeleton after his last battle left his body in need of very heavy repairs, he's transferred to a military base for a secret mission. His chip is then placed directly into the brain implant of Oleg Gontar, a Russian soldier with some very lucky genetic mutations from the Chernobyl meltdown resulting in a gigantic physique and rapid healing (and also a child-like intellect and severe anger issues), and the duo is sent up to Mars with some weapons to clear up things. Meanwhile, Fuentes is working hard on transforming the research station into a new temple, and the dead soldiers and scientists into different abominations he has been imagining since childhood.

That's more or less the gist of book 1. There is a sequel, it's way crazier.

It's awesome, you guys, I tell you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Are you telling me that "AA Milne" is one of the heroes of the Doom novel, and he's partnered with a Russian bear of a man?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I was looking at one of Carmack's Quakecon speeches and he mentioned that before RAGE he had experimented with shadow maps by hacking Doom 3 to use shadow maps instead of the hard-edged stencil shadows, and he said it worked fine and looked good. It made me wonder why BFG Edition stuck with the stencil shadows and if it was just a case of Carmack being stubborn

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Lotish posted:

Are you telling me that "AA Milne" is one of the heroes of the Doom novel, and he's partnered with a Russian bear of a man?

This is exactly what I'm telling you.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Linguica posted:

I was looking at one of Carmack's Quakecon speeches and he mentioned that before RAGE he had experimented with shadow maps by hacking Doom 3 to use shadow maps instead of the hard-edged stencil shadows, and he said it worked fine and looked good. It made me wonder why BFG Edition stuck with the stencil shadows and if it was just a case of Carmack being stubborn

Because the BFG edition was a cash grab.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So I have a question that I still can't figure out to this day. What the hell is that sound that the Doom guy makes every once in a while? It sounds sort of like a pig snorting.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS1TQKe_D18&t=21s

This?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Yes! I still don't know what the hell that is. I want to say it is monsters, but I believe I have heard even when nothing is around.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Yes! I still don't know what the hell that is. I want to say it is monsters, but I believe I have heard even when nothing is around.

Its the sound that imps make when they are standing around. You can sometimes hear it through walls.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Is there a mod that takes the cool Doom 64 and puts in pc with more stuff like better graphics? I seem to remember it existing but I have no idea if its a mod for DooM3 or a separate thing entirely.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
If you can find the Doom64 WAD, ZDoom and GZDoom should have what you're looking for, especially if you throw in one of the hi-res model packs.

There's also a sourceport that took Doom/Doom 2 into full 3D, with polygonal models and everything, but I'm not sure which port that was.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

MrJacobs posted:

Is there a mod that takes the cool Doom 64 and puts in pc with more stuff like better graphics? I seem to remember it existing but I have no idea if its a mod for DooM3 or a separate thing entirely.

How much better do you need the graphics to be?

Cuz Doom64 EX is an excellent source port. Supports high resolutions and various input methods.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

If you can find the Doom64 WAD, ZDoom and GZDoom should have what you're looking for, especially if you throw in one of the hi-res model packs.

There's also a sourceport that took Doom/Doom 2 into full 3D, with polygonal models and everything, but I'm not sure which port that was.

That port is called Doomsday, BTW.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mung Dynasty posted:

How much better do you need the graphics to be?

Cuz Doom64 EX is an excellent source port. Supports high resolutions and various input methods.

I wasn't worried about super updated graphics, I was just going by my memory of the mod. But this seems to be exactly what I was looking for, thanks a ton guys.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If we're talking about Doom movies and books and story, tangentially related I wanna bring up the Seal of Nehahra

Its quake, but quake's story ended up being pretty drat close to doom's anyhow. (scientific experiments with slipgates open portal to hell dimension)

Neither Doom nor Quake had much in-game overt story, they were mostly focused on the action. Half-Life really started the whole cinematic in-game story thing, but before that there was an early movie project using quake, one of the first machinma ever made, which attempted to explain the story of Quake in a more cinematic manner.

AND IT loving ROCKS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seal_of_Nehahra

If you haven't, go download The Seal of Nehahra and watch through it, its really entertaining.

Linguica posted:

Are you sure they didn't? Doom 3's shadows are BLACK, but Doom 3 BFGs edition they're more subtle shadows. Could just be some hacky trick they added on, but could also be better proper shadows.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I think they literally just cranked the lights up in the BFG Edition.

Doom 3 source code:
code:
idCVar r_lightScale( "r_lightScale", "2", CVAR_RENDERER | CVAR_FLOAT, "all light intensities are multiplied by this" );
Doom 3 BFG Edition source code:
code:
idCVar r_lightScale( "r_lightScale", "3", CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_RENDERER | CVAR_FLOAT, "all light intensities are multiplied by this" );

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Speaking of Doom 3 mods, can anyone recommend some must haves? I'm running BD and PB on D1 and D2 but before I get to D3 thought I better mod it up for a better experience. Wasn't sure the best place to look for recommendations, google helped a bit but some word of mouth ones might be more useful.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Blackfyre posted:

Speaking of Doom 3 mods, can anyone recommend some must haves? I'm running BD and PB on D1 and D2 but before I get to D3 thought I better mod it up for a better experience. Wasn't sure the best place to look for recommendations, google helped a bit but some word of mouth ones might be more useful.

Skip to the last 2 hours of the game, that's the only fun part.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Linguica posted:

I think they literally just cranked the lights up in the BFG Edition.

Doom 3 source code:
code:
idCVar r_lightScale( "r_lightScale", "2", CVAR_RENDERER | CVAR_FLOAT, "all light intensities are multiplied by this" );
Doom 3 BFG Edition source code:
code:
idCVar r_lightScale( "r_lightScale", "3", CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_RENDERER | CVAR_FLOAT, "all light intensities are multiplied by this" );

Lol, yep just a quick hack then. Figures.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

Let's derail for a bit and talk about the Doom movie. :can:

The movie is a terrible, guilty pleasure of mine and I love rewatching it every so often. Just for the FPS scene but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dMA8NmdyW4

I love how they went with practical effects where possible, regardless of how goofy they look (that loving Baron :laffo:), but I'm secretly jealous someone got paid to dress up like that and wrestle with Karl Urban.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

poptart_fairy posted:

The movie is a terrible, guilty pleasure of mine and I love rewatching it every so often. Just for the FPS scene but still.

I love how they went with practical effects where possible, regardless of how goofy they look (that loving Baron :laffo:), but I'm secretly jealous someone got paid to dress up like that and wrestle with Karl Urban.
Speaking of the FPS bit, pay attention to the FPS-style credits at the end of the movie: the names of actors who survived the movie don't get shot

I'll never get tired of watching Richard Brake (Portman) being a smarmy rear end in a top hat. See also: 'Outpost'

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I thought the Doom movie was not the worse video game to movie translation that lost everything about the video game in the process. I think they did a good job cutting it together and keeping the main details there.

Except for the kungfu battle at the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

My biggest problem with the doom movie is just that its a horror movie and not an action movie. Its a doom 3 movie, not a doom 1 movie. Its more zombies and less demons. But its not even good scary sci-fi like Alien, its just kinda b-movie. But its still fun.

I did love the FPS scene though, even as silly as it is. I wish the movements were more like a game and less smooth, but oh well.

Speaking of, I'm super looking forward to Hardcore Henry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96EChBYVFhU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

I thought the Doom movie was not the worse video game to movie translation that lost everything about the video game in the process. I think they did a good job cutting it together and keeping the main details there.

Except for the kungfu battle at the end.

Well the main details except "demons" and "hell" of course.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
use your imagination, nerd

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

Well the main details except "demons" and "hell" of course.

It was just after doom 3 so yes it was correct.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zigmidge posted:

use your imagination, nerd
I don't even know what that means in that context

Tenzarin posted:

It was just after doom 3 so yes it was correct.

Or that either

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 27, 2016

Bungbroy
Dec 14, 2004

Sweet teats of the godbung, lend me thy broys

Zaphod42 posted:

Speaking of, I'm super looking forward to Hardcore Henry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96EChBYVFhU

This looks like a really good movie, I wanna see it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bungbroy posted:

This looks like a really good movie, I wanna see it.

It's by the same people who did the Russian music video "Bad Motherfucker" in 2013, it's worth looking up on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just beat the level Refueling Base in Doom II on Ultra Violence. That level can go gently caress itself; here's a video for those that need a refresher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XxbzcJS70

It's pretty straightforward if you go into it with a good stock of ammo, but I was going into it with about 30 bullets, 17 shotgun shells, 2 rockets, and 0 energy cells, which means I was using the loving chainsaw on like 70% of the enemies. Basically if it wasn't a Pain Elemental, Revenant, Arachnotron, Chaingunner, or Cyberdemon, I was chainsawing it in order to bank enough ammo to carry over to the next level. That means I was dealing chainsaw justice to well over 200 enemies.

:smithicide:

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Xenomrph posted:

I just beat the level Refueling Base in Doom II on Ultra Violence. That level can go gently caress itself; here's a video for those that need a refresher:

It's pretty straightforward if you go into it with a good stock of ammo, but I was going into it with about 30 bullets, 17 shotgun shells, 2 rockets, and 0 energy cells, which means I was using the loving chainsaw on like 70% of the enemies. Basically if it wasn't a Pain Elemental, Revenant, Arachnotron, Chaingunner, or Cyberdemon, I was chainsawing it in order to bank enough ammo to carry over to the next level. That means I was dealing chainsaw justice to well over 200 enemies.

I honestly don't feel like Doom II's Ultraviolence is very well balanced, and this exact level is why. gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

You remember just how truly bad Doom 3 was after watching that video. Long live D1/2.