Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Jarmak posted:

Also he's full of poo poo, I just google mapped the grocery stores in Duluth and the distance between the two closest stores on opposite ends of the city is 5 miles.

Which means the furthest any person could live from a grocery store or market is 2.5 miles.

Sorry, this is a little old but you must have googled the wrong loving Duluth, dude. Duluth is like 25 miles tip to tip and is on a giant hill. The places that aren't Super One or Cub Foods (which is technically in another city) primarily just serve hot food and then maybe carry stuff like milk/bread eggs but nothing fresh.

It's also possible for people to not live on the shortest possible route between grocery stores. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Halman posted:

Sorry, this is a little old but you must have googled the wrong loving Duluth, dude. Duluth is like 25 miles tip to tip and is on a giant hill. The places that aren't Super One or Cub Foods (which is technically in another city) primarily just serve hot food and then maybe carry stuff like milk/bread eggs but nothing fresh.

It's also possible for people to not live on the shortest possible route between grocery stores. :ssh:

yeah no, I might have phrased that clumsily but I was talking about the furthest points between grocery stores in the city, which is centered on the downtown area. By closest I meant the two closest stores on either side of the gap, not "the two closest grocery stores in the city"

If you only count Super One and Whole Foods then the southern tip of Duluth becomes the furthest away from a grocery store at 6 miles, which is 10 minutes by car or 40 minutes via the number 2 bus.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
"food deserts" has a specific meaning- it's in relation to Marmot-style causal theories about the inaccessibility of fresh food leading to specific negative health outcomes(particularly obesity and overweight). It's been awhile since I was involved in that literature, but my understanding is that the original claim about those effects was found to be significantly overstated.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Goddamn I'm glad I don't live in or near a major city. That poo poo all sounds like a loving nightmare.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Oh, and Prop 13 also covers commercial property values, so Disneyland pays something like $200 every year for the land it's on. (this is an exaggeration but it actually is an order of magnitude difference in tax revenue)

I didn't actually know this! I'd thought it only applied to homes. Yeah, there's no excuse for businesses getting this benefit.

Also: I'm not saying we should keep prop 13. Just that the situation is complicated and that a more nuanced approach than "just repeal it" might be best.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
I wrote my own open letter to Mayor Ed Lee:
https://medium.com/@kliksf/an-open-letter-to-san-francisco-mayor-ed-lee-202cafb02e67#.6vaicnogk

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

readingatwork posted:

I didn't actually know this! I'd thought it only applied to homes. Yeah, there's no excuse for businesses getting this benefit.

Also: I'm not saying we should keep prop 13. Just that the situation is complicated and that a more nuanced approach than "just repeal it" might be best.

Prop 13 was the first victory of the Jarvis/Norquist anti-tax/anti-government movement and it was always about kneecapping the ability for government to raise revenue. The grandma-in-her-house talking point, while not a complete fabrication, was also incidental to the proposition's architects.

This has been long known.
http://articles.latimes.com/1988-02-14/news/mn-42694_1_tax-revolt

It's not coincidental that the passage of Prop 13 is a discontinuity that lines up pretty well with the tanking of California's infrastructure, education, and social programs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I hope you get a response.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

tehllama posted:

So does Apple but the CS majors I know from college who went out west aren't living in areas where they pay anywhere near that. One of my college roommates lives in a 2br for roughly 2.4k a month. From talking to him I think there is a decent split in the mentality of the employees of some of the more established companies (Apple, Google, etc) vs newer startups flush with cash. Apple has many amenities on its campus but the restaurant still costs money. Compare that to Facebook, where massages/on campus fancy restaurant/everything was completely free to employees.

At least with the people I know at Apple say it's basically a normal workplace with people of all ages and sort of a normalized corporate culture. It's part of the advantage of being one of the oldest software tech companies in the bay area.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

McDowell posted:

1) This seems wasteful when the existing building could be renovated / upgraded. The Ferren Mall in New Brunswick has been sitting like a ruin with a huge parking deck going unused for a couple years now (increasing the demand for parking and justifying the rates charged). Like I said - there should be an inventory of every square foot and people should have a place to sleep. It wouldn't be that hard - I'm pretty sure one of those 2 towers at the 18/Turnpike junction is practically empty - not to mention the old Turnpike Authority HQ.

It's not because it's old, outdated, and poorly designed. You don't build a suburban style strip mall right across from one of the biggest stops on the Northeast Corridor. Well, you do if it's the late 70s and the city is a crack-filled mess, not today. Ferren is empty specifically because it's been slated for demolition for a few years now, it was used before then.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's not because it's old, outdated, and poorly designed. You don't build a suburban style strip mall right across from one of the biggest stops on the Northeast Corridor. Well, you do if it's the late 70s and the city is a crack-filled mess, not today. Ferren is empty specifically because it's been slated for demolition for a few years now, it was used before then.

So you kick out the tenants and leave it sitting empty for 2+ years? Demolition and rebuilding is alot more expensive than renovation but hey its Jersey. Like I mentioned - the biggest thing that stinks is the closed parking deck - the municipal parking authority is creating artificial scarcity.

Also I wouldn't call New Brunswick a big stop on the NEC - that station is almost exclusively an NJ Transit stop - regular Amtrak stops are in Metropark and Newark.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I stumbled across this thread after seeing the HBO San Fransico 2.0 doco on a flight from Melbourne to Sydney (Australia).

And then today I read that that an former employee of Yelp was complaining that she had to live 30 miles from work and, well... I can't say I sympathise.

I work in Sydney (Australia) and my boss, that's right, my BOSS travels 111 miles each day (round trip). The guy who sits next to me commutes 114 miles each day (round-trip). It is entirely normal in this country to travel 30 miles plus to work everyday. They both use public transport.

I just checked an you can rent a 3 bedroom house in Fairfield CA for 2000 a month. That's 166 a week rent if you share. That sounds pretty affordable to me.

If I lived in San Fran I wouldn't let the developers in either. They're likely to tear down as much of the city as they can and throw up cheap rear end apartments before the boom cycle passes. You really want a San Fran to become an eyesore?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 24, 2016

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

readingatwork posted:

Christ! I though the San Diego area was bad ($1500/month). It makes you wonder how much rent is in places people don't actually want to

Welp. :suicide:

As long as you're willing to live in a shithole neighborhood in a shithole city in a shithole state, you can find an affordable place to live.

Don't forget to bring your own fridge and gas stove, btw :v:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Don't forget to bring your own fridge and gas stove, btw :v:

This is odd, do Americans expect their apartments to come with a fridge and stove?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

KingEup posted:

This is odd, do Americans expect their apartments to come with a fridge and stove?

Nearly 99% of them do yes, even washers and dryers now because of insurance reasons(complexes were tired of cheap washers flooding their building)

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

socialsecurity posted:

Nearly 99% of them do yes, even washers and dryers now because of insurance reasons(complexes were tired of cheap washers flooding their building)

Wow, lucky you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That you can rent a place to live without basic cooking amenities is pretty idiotic tbh, they should be required by law.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

KingEup posted:

I stumbled across this thread after seeing the HBO San Fransico 2.0 doco on a flight from Melbourne to Sydney (Australia).

And then today I read that that an former employee of Yelp was complaining that she had to live 30 miles from work and, well... I can't say I sympathise.

I work in Sydney (Australia) and my boss, that's right, my BOSS travels 111 miles each day (round trip). The guy who sits next to me commutes 114 miles each day (round-trip). It is entirely normal in this country to travel 30 miles plus to work everyday. They both use public transport.

I just checked an you can rent a 3 bedroom house in Fairfield CA for 2000 a month. That's 166 a week rent if you share. That sounds pretty affordable to me.

If I lived in San Fran I wouldn't let the developers in either. They're likely to tear down as much of the city as they can and throw up cheap rear end apartments before the boom cycle passes. You really want a San Fran to become an eyesore?

cool bragging about your functional public transit

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

atomicthumbs posted:

cool bragging about your functional public transit

lol http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/transport-and-infrastructure-better-in-mumbai-than-sydney-pwc-report-20121015-27m08.html

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

That you can rent a place to live without basic cooking amenities is pretty idiotic tbh, they should be required by law.

and the type of cooktop should be induction, but most landlords cheap out and get electric.(gas is good too, but there's still a fire risk)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

KingEup posted:

Yes, in America these appliances are generally considered part of the house and people do not bring them from residence to residence.

see also: dishwashers, washers, and dryers

edit:

PhazonLink posted:

and the type of cooktop should be induction, but most landlords cheap out and get electric.(gas is good too, but there's still a fire risk)

gas cook top is the only way to go

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

That's bizarre, in Australia the landlord would just laugh at you if you requested they supply a fridge or washer. Built in stove is pretty common though.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

KingEup posted:

That's bizarre, in Australia the landlord would just laugh at you if you requested they supply a fridge or washer. Built in stove is pretty common though.

Wait, so every time you move you have to get a bigger truck and/or hire people to drag around your fridge and washer/dryer? You'd get destroyed in most places in the American market if you told potential customers that.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

Why does it matter what kind of stove they have so long as there is one? You might refuse to rent an apartment without an induction cooktop but there's no need to force that cost onto every other renter as well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
My apartment doesn't have an in-unit washer & dryer but it was built in the 70s when that wasn't so common. There's a community laundry room for the complex though.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

computer parts posted:

My apartment doesn't have an in-unit washer & dryer but it was built in the 70s when that wasn't so common. There's a community laundry room for the complex though.

Yeah, the expectation for in-unit washer-dryer came as a response to it being common in suburban housing, and the expectation rising. My apartment is definitely from the 70s, but while the rest of the plebes have to share the community room, we get our own in-unit laundry. :smaug:

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wait, so every time you move you have to get a bigger truck and/or hire people to drag around your fridge and washer/dryer? You'd get destroyed in most places in the American market if you told potential customers that.
Yep. Often up a few flights of stairs too. Also if you think rent in California is high compare it to paying $350 per week for a studio so small that the toilet is in the kitchen.

Not to mention the lack of insulation and weather stripping, plus ubiquitous single-pane sash windows that made 18 (65° F) feel like 5 (40° F).

Ogantai fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 24, 2016

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
Welp, the tent city was cleared out today, lots of possessions just trashed and no one was really directed where they where to go next. There's apparently been some arrests today too.

https://www.facebook.com/kelley.cutler/videos/10206949807038524/?autoplay_reason=gatekeeper&video_container_type=1&app_id=6628568379

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wait, so every time you move you have to get a bigger truck and/or hire people to drag around your fridge and washer/dryer?

That's how it's done.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DeusExMachinima posted:

Like this but with Lebanese people. :australia:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

KingEup posted:

That's how it's done.

Along with the giant killer spiders and overpriced video games, I'm never going to Australia. :stonk:

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Ogantai posted:

Yep. Often up a few flights of stairs too. Also if you think rent in California is high compare it to paying $350 per week for a studio so small that the toilet is in the kitchen.

How is this allowed? If you did this in the UK environmental health would go apeshit and condemn the place as unfit for human habitation. I honestly can't think of a better way to get a disease.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
Here's a twitter that grew out the techbro phenomenon. Not sure if it's a techbro trying to point out all the hate he or she has to face or if it's a resident who's fed up with techbros. At this point what difference does it make we all seem to enjoy the same tweets.
https://twitter.com/TechHateCrimes it's a lot of retweets but it's a good clearing house for a lot of techbro backlash

https://twitter.com/dustin/status/568828171883192320

https://twitter.com/TechHateCrimes/status/594386688245268480

https://twitter.com/JustineTunney/status/523363782848827392

https://twitter.com/TechHateCrimes/status/519610613652144130
:911: https://twitter.com/TechHateCrimes/status/510266677179596800 :patriot:
There's a guy who regularly defaces the bus stop at Hayes and Steiner, just south of the Painted Ladies, with some seriously hateful poo poo. I don't know if you make the distinction between "Die Techie Scum" and "MURDER GOOGLE YUPPIES" but this guy writes the latter. I find it repulsive either way, the near constant defacing of the same spot it's amazing he hasn't been caught.

Edit: lol
https://twitter.com/TechHateCrimes/status/493432792684830722

kliksf fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 25, 2016

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
The funny part is that these people pushing extremist "get the gently caress out" logic are probably also extremely anti-Trump for Trump's position on immigration.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

on the left posted:

The funny part is that these people pushing extremist "get the gently caress out" logic are probably also extremely anti-Trump for Trump's position on immigration.

Rich pieces of poo poo making an area too expensive for the other 90% of the population is slightly different than you bigots crying about Syrian refugees being literal ISIS infiltrators, hth.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Wouldn't believe all of those are genuine.

kwinkles posted:

c austin gentrification s: east side is gentrifying, and someone wrote "gently caress you white hipsters" on a new restaurant on the east side, but the restaraunt is owned and run by brown people and the person who vandalized it and was caught on camera doing it turns out to be a white hipster girl tumberite:

https://www.facebook.com/austinburlesque/posts/10207499396017350?refid=12

vandalism, vandal, restauranteurs

text of the apology after they found out who it was:

quote:

I have sent you a private message and will now publicly(on faceboom) apologize. I take full responsibility for my actions, however they were not okay. I assumed a bacon wrapped hotdog joint on the east side had to be owned by a rich white person who gave no shits about the community around it and was contributing to rhe gentrification of that area. I was wrong in so many ways. I am not apart of the community and shouldn't speak on behalf of anyone in said community. I let alcohol and privilege butt my better judgement. I will come clean it. I am sorry. Thay was really dumb of me. With all of that being said I am not a she.

this is the most up itself thing i ever saw

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ryonguy posted:

Rich pieces of poo poo making an area too expensive for the other 90% of the population is slightly different than you bigots crying about Syrian refugees being literal ISIS infiltrators, hth.

Idiots scapegoating incoming outsiders for poo poo that's wrong with their lives that's actually mostly their own doing is pretty much the exact same thing, hth.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ryonguy posted:

tech bros are not the reason san francisco is so expensive. middle and upper middle class white san franciscans approaching retirement and wanting to keep the sweeping vistas from their single family homes are the reason san francisco is so expensive. techbros are just a smug scapegoat

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Can both sides please lose?

There are two indisputable facts. One: San Francisco has a very aggressive, numerous homeless population, and two: nouveau-riche techies have priced Normal People out of the housing market in San Francisco, and almost the entire Bay Area.

That said, I'm willing to bet that most of San Francisco's homeless aren't homeless only because of high housing prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Man
Aug 12, 2007

Adventure Time
come on grab your friends

Popular Thug Drink posted:

tech bros are not the reason san francisco is so expensive. middle and upper middle class white san franciscans approaching retirement and wanting to keep the sweeping vistas from their single family homes are the reason san francisco is so expensive. techbros are just a smug scapegoat

Has anyone looked at how much rent increases for areas adjacent to the tech buses?

• Locked thread