Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember trying this game 3 years ago and thinking it seemed pretty cool and would be great when it was done in 6 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
how could it be worse what did they do

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Honestly the game isn't all that bad compared to a lot of the utter poo poo on Early Access, but the pace of actual good updates is glacial. And I mean literally glacial, in that it not only moves ridiculously slowly overall, it appears to be moving backwards from time to time.

Tiy's obsession with balance, gating, breadth and story content instead of taking a lead from Terraria and just dumping fun stuff in and letting people play with it is why we don't like it. Oh hey you added a way to progress through farming but it makes us have to manually tend plants? Sure. Tons of new microdungeons but still no way to map out a planet? Wonderful.

It's genuinely more fun to poo poo on the game than it is to stay enthusiastic about it. It's not even moddable in the same vein as Minecraft because the basics like combat and standard crafting apparatus aren't finalized even now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

how could it be worse what did they do

Did you like sand mining?

Did you like walking backwards the same speed you walk forwards?

Did you like dash working while jumping?

Did you like your energy regeneration not being temporarily disabled if you ran out of energy?

Did you like hammers not having a delay time on their swing?

Did you like starting the game being able to mine a 3x3 area?

Did you like not having potion sickness?

Did you like that plants would grow if you were off planet, without having to water them multiple times?

Too bad.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Section Z posted:

Did you like your energy regeneration not being temporarily disabled if you ran out of energy?

Did you like that plants would grow if you were off planet, without having to water them multiple times?

Too bad.

oh wow. introducing tedious grind,awesome

Guess I'm never reinstalling

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

starbound just has a certain balance now. a Balance of Terror that is !! :D [star trek fans in thec rowd hoot and holler]

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Section Z posted:

Too bad.

TBH I actually really like the new hammer charge. If you're timing it well, the swing speed evens out to about the same pace that they autoswung before, and it makes using hammers feel so much more satisfying for some reason. Just super meaty. I think it's probably a case of "Balance! :downs:" unintentionally turning out to be interesting rather than tedious as opposed to any sort of intelligent decision, though.

The rest of those changes absolutely suck incredible amounts of dick, and that's just a truncated list. Plus, you forgot their most egregious crime, re-implementing touch damage because they're literally too stupid to figure out enemy design. In an absolutely bizarre decision that nobody asked for, they doubled back on a functional and mostly non-bullshit system where monsters only had a hitbox while they were attacking and had a bunch of different attack patterns they could use, because it was too hard to make enemies "challenging" when players could actually avoid their attacks.

So as a fix they just took away fast backwards movement and made it so everything wants to rub up against you, but didn't adjust damage values, in a game where you will die in two hits even with the best gear.

Because they're loving morons.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Gotta balance for that hardcore PvP experience that we all laid down money to enjoy. I wonder if Chucklefish got their ideas from the Unsung Story devs?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If only The Magic Circle released three or four years ago, maybe Chucklefuck could have taken something away from it

i mean they wouldn't, but it'd be a nice thought

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

LordZoric posted:

I wonder if Chucklefish got their ideas from the Unsung Story devs?

it's a combination of castlevania, metroid, pokemon, borderlands, diablo, terraria, plus some things no one's done before

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

For some fun context, here is the post Tiy made on reddit in an attempt to justify his decision to re-implement touch damage.

the loving lead developer of this game, god bless his retarded soul posted:

Context of the game in this case largely refers to the environment in which combat takes place.
2D Platform games are largely a test of your ability to move from A to B whilst avoiding unsafe portions of screen space. With that in mind there are two somewhat viable ways to generate unsafe screenspace in a game like Starbound.
The first is to have enemies produce unsafe regions separate to themselves. (No damage on touch).
The second is for the enemies themselves to create an unsafe region along side any additional regions they create (damage on touch + projectiles).
Now consider Starbound's procedural terrain. Our procedural monsters from previous patches had a large variety of projectile attacks, with no damage on touch. However, the only way to ensure most of those projectiles were threatening was to have them aim directly at and travel directly to the player. Otherwise the vast majority of them would end up hitting the terrain.
Despite somewhat different speeds, animations, damage and so on. The gameplay here was very limited. When projectiles move almost directly to you every projectile can be avoided by waiting for a windup animation to play and moving directly out of the line of fire.
Melee attacks were even worse. When a monster is creating a separate unsafe region for a melee attack, the monster needs to first ensure it's standing in the right spot for that region to hit. That results in a great deal of heavy path finding, and path finding on procedural terrain is never great. It also results in almost all melee attacks providing the same gameplay experience. Keep a monster away from the spot they're trying to stand in and backpeddle if they get there.
By contrast, with damage on touch we can produce a much larger range of varied unsafe regions on the screen that require the player to deal with them in specific ways.
The new hopping 'gleap' monsters for example, consider the movement of their damage region over screen space. They just want to touch you, no complex positioning, no false firing of melee attacks or ranged attacks in bad positions on the terrain and as a result their movement pattern becomes an entirely different challenge to overcome.
If you follow the path of a 'gleap' as it hops towards the player it produces a wave, with alternating safe spots and dangerous spots. Producing this same damage region on the screen without damage on touch would be near impossible. The same is true of many of the other, more complex new enemies.
Switching to damage on touch has also made viable a large number of new monsters. Some already included (wall crawlers for instance would be terrible if they first had to reach the correct spot to attack), others on their way, worms perhaps?
Finally, damage on touch allows us to give players new tools to avoid those more varied unsafe regions. Mobility tools become even more meaningful, tools that change, disrupt or neutralise those regions come into play.
I hear a lot of requests for complex brawler style combat systems. Back stabbing and side stepping, parrying and countering. Increasing the complexity of the mechanics doesn't necessarily increase the complexity of the gameplay and certainly doesn't increase the skill required. Attempting to correctly execute these mechanics on procedural terrain would be an excersize in frustration.
Risk of Rain is a great example of a game with a good combat system that worked without damage on touch. It worked largely because the terrain was very flat and very predictable.
Give the new combat a go when stable is out. There will still be some warts in unstable (like the Floran boss needing tweaking as mentioned below) but you can also get a good feel there.
I hope that explains some of the technical decisions behind damage on touch.

Of note, the posters there called him out for being full of poo poo, and actually made some surprisingly good points on the subject, for reddit. They were ignored in favor of cherry-picking a single poorly worded post to respond snarkily to, and making no attempt to further the conversation beyond that.

SOUND FAMILIAR???

e: and if you don't feel like reading all that, you can click this link for the condensed version.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Coming Thick and Fast posted:

2D Platform games are largely a test of your ability to move from A to B whilst avoiding unsafe portions of screen space. With that in mind there are two somewhat viable ways to generate unsafe screenspace in a game like Starbound.

This is where I would post that gif of the devs completely failing at the stupid Apex platforming.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

bringing up risk of rain as an example is really funny because the combat literally could only work because there was no damage on touch and that was because the combat for melee characters was loving stupid and the only way you'd live was if you bunnyhopped the entire time

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

why not both though, like why not just introduce some touch enemies who are tougher because they can't be dodged like before

lol what a poo poo show

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Johnny Joestar posted:

bringing up risk of rain as an example is really funny because the combat literally could only work because there was no damage on touch and that was because the combat for melee characters was loving stupid and the only way you'd live was if you bunnyhopped the entire time

I literally can't get anywhere in RoR with anyone but the commando. I have everything so worked out with him and his abilities, that switching screws me up. And yeah, I could never play melee.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Joestar posted:

how can they be this awful at everything they do

they're worse than almost as bad as nicalis

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

BillmasterCozb posted:

how can they be this awful at everything they do

they're worse than almost as bad as nicalis

for the record, chucklefish was just the publisher for risk of rain. they had nothing to do with developing it, and the actual devs are like...a couple of guys in college or grad school or something.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Joestar posted:

for the record, chucklefish was just the publisher for risk of rain. they had nothing to do with developing it, and the actual devs are like...a couple of guys in college or grad school or something.

oh ok, makes sense

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LordZoric posted:

This is where I would post that gif of the devs completely failing at the stupid Apex platforming.

Even with dev cheats turned on at the time, which made it all the more :sigh:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

LordZoric posted:

I hate that thinking because its so loving robotic and wrong. In mario and pacman for example you were also collecting powerups,getting points and high scores, and trying to find multiple paths. Games are largly about multiple things and not just beep boop go to destination ,avoid hurty thing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tengames posted:

I hate that thinking because its so loving robotic and wrong. In mario and pacman for example you were also collecting powerups,getting points and high scores, and trying to find multiple paths. Games are largly about multiple things and not just beep boop go to destination ,avoid hurty thing.

Well, we give them poo poo over it because they keep acting like it's well designed platforming, when they still need to resort to jump cuts even with invincibility cheats keeping them from dying the first time they gently caress up on. But STILL act like it's perfectly tuned and their True Fans will give you poo poo if you ask "I die if I touch the spikes twice, did you test those without dev mode to see how it would work out for normal play?"

A game dev loving up as they demo Mario is still going to be demoing Mario, and still had the game tested with the ability to die if they touch spikes on.

Instead of demoing Mario with invincibility on, and then still jump cutting through the castle straight to the boss after they gently caress up a jump through spikes for the fifth time. Followed by explaining fireflower now has a cooldown if you use it too often, while posting a .gif of them killing Bowser with two shots.

EDIT: Having dev mode on to better showcase stuff is fine. It's how they act like having dev cheats on is proper representation of NORMAL gameplay and seemingly basing their balance decisions around it half the time that's the problem.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 23, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I mentioned a while back that an old friend was a dev and gifted me a copy

Further chats reveal that Starbound had no design document, or as it turns out, any real dev discussion at all! That roadmap of theirs was pretty much it. Everything was subject to Tiy the Idea Guy's whims; occasionally he would climb Mt. Sinai and return bearing an arbitrary list of goals to fix the game

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 23, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"Tiy, shouldn't we make a list of things we plan on doing, or ways to improve the game in general?" "No, idiot, why would we do that? Here's your list of thing I personally want to see in the game. Give enemies super armor, damage on contact, and reduce the pace of back-stepping to a crawl"

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

That must be so soul-crushing for the developers working under him to deal with. No wonder so many of them have jumped ship. I can't imagine having to deal with 'vision-based' design decisions, potentially illegalrevenue-share pay, and "oh by the way you have to move to London or you're fired, thx."

Can't imagine what Haskell Pirate Game is like to work on.

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 23, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LordZoric posted:

Can't imagine what Haskell Pirate Game is like to work on.

Funnily enough all talk of that has died off and rumor has it everybody working on it got shuffled into Starbound to rearrange deck chairs on the RMS Tiytanic

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

:captainpop:

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

:vince:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"Despite somewhat different speeds, animations, damage and so on. The gameplay here was very limited. When projectiles move almost directly to you every projectile can be avoided by waiting for a windup animation to play and moving directly out of the line of fire" yeah man projectiles being fairly simple to dodge if they're all just basic aimed projectiles is definitely a problem that needed to be fixed, lmao, god drat.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I made this post in loving 2014 and they still haven't figured out that their random monsters are dull as poo poo and don't feel meaningfully different. are they playing the game? are they fighting these monsters, and having fun?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You know when you're working on a <project> and you have a bunch of random stupid ideas while you're showering/driving/eating dinner/not actually implementing them?

Starbound is all of those random stupid ideas, except you're independently wealthy and in charge of a team of people who are beholden to your every awful whim, so you can actually get them put into a game. And then taken out when you get a new one. And then put back in.

victrix fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 23, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

When's the last time this cargo cult rear end in a top hat actually played games he claims to be inspired by? Is it all buzzwords?

E: Where's that gif someone posted of SotN where Alucard actually moves faster spamming backstep than he does running forwards?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 23, 2016

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

There was a time where the dude wouldn't stop tweeting about all the new video games he was playing, the best part was, IIRC it was during that nearly year-long stretch of no updates. Yammering on about all the Dark Souls you're playing is a great way to get people to see you're taking game development seriously.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Food doesn't stack anymore lol

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Babe Magnet posted:

that cant be true

THAT CANT BE TRUE

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Babe Magnet posted:

Just try and stack a bunch of bananas or something. It can't be done.

I hope this is only a feature of the REALISM mode or whatever because that would be really funny and stupid as hell.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Why do you hate fun, Tiy?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Schwack posted:

I hope this is only a feature of the REALISM mode or whatever because that would be really funny and stupid as hell.

Food rots now. This is a pretty new feature in the nightly, and the hunger meter was the same way before they introduced it as an optional difficulty thing, so food probably won't rot while you're playing not-survival mode, but who knows at this point lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Babe Magnet posted:

Babe Magnet posted:

Food rots now.
:yikes:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why do you hate fun, Tiy?
T.I.G. probably stole it from another game without really thinking about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

At this point I'm just really excited to see how far into the Bad Ideas Hole they'll get before they either release the game or run out of money. They've already blown through what I thought was the bottom, all that's left is to enjoy the ride.

• Locked thread