Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bad Moon posted:

I think I'm going to abandon Cisco/Laurel and jump on board the Cisco/Jessie Quick bus just to see Wells being Crisco's Father In Law.

I'm shipping Cisco / Reverb's glasses. C'mon Ramon, get off your rear end and start exploring that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For those thinking that Jay and Hunter could still be twins or something take heart, there was a plot exactly as loving retarded as that in Mark Waid's Flash run.

"Cobalt Blue."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Why is the show taking a month off?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

Yes, comic books don't have a long history of super science being used to heal injurries.

Weird, I thought we were talking about a TV show.

Regardless as a person with a neuromuscular disease who will probably end up in a wheelchair in their lifetime I think it's lovely to put her in one, totally not narcissistically name her after your book and then undisable her 3-5 episodes later.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Lord Bude posted:

They did it last season too, I guess they have other contractual obligations.

(According to the TV guide, it's "The World Dog Awards")

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

computer parts posted:

(According to the TV guide, it's "The World Dog Awards")

Sadly, the World Dog Awards are a really big deal. At least in my mostly elderly city in a flyover state, I can guarantee most of the TV's around here will be tuned in to that poo poo.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Comedy option: Kreisberg needs time to finish bullshitting the rest of the season.

Basically he's pulling a Kubo/Kishimoto.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

For those thinking that Jay and Hunter could still be twins or something take heart, there was a plot exactly as loving retarded as that in Mark Waid's Flash run.

"Cobalt Blue."

I feel like if they were going with the twin angle the EP wouldn't be saying "the Jay we know is Hunter Zolomon/Zoom", so there has to be another angle.

Actually come to think of it, that shape changing meta could have an E2 counterpart. He could have been infiltrating the group under Zoom's guidance (at least while Zoom was doing other stuff). Although that would make this an even bigger rehash of last year since RF pulled the same trick. Hoping they do something more interesting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like if they were going with the twin angle the EP wouldn't be saying "the Jay we know is Hunter Zolomon/Zoom", so there has to be another angle.

Actually come to think of it, that shape changing meta could have an E2 counterpart. He could have been infiltrating the group under Zoom's guidance (at least while Zoom was doing other stuff). Although that would make this an even bigger rehash of last year since RF pulled the same trick. Hoping they do something more interesting.

I agree, I was just pointing out how a stupid idea already has roots in the comics.

Maybe Iron Mask is E2 Eobard Thawne?

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

The Lord Bude posted:

LOL Canada

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Welp another episode where I pretty much hated everything. If this break wasn't coming up I probably would've skipped a few episodes anyway because boy am I not liking what they've done with basically every character. More and more things are being said/done just for drama/plot/convenience's sake and so little feels earned that I just don't care while I'm watching anymore. Which could be fine except the show has stopped being fun. Oh now it's Barry's turn to have awkward family drama with Wally? Great idea super riveting television. Can't wait for the next step in the Flash storytelling procedure #24151, Barry thinks about telling Wally he's the Flash but decides not to for reasons that the show has proven are stupid countless times already.

Just be fun again show, you're so god drat bad at being serious :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

X-O posted:

God I hate Barry at this point. He's just an rear end in a top hat. I think I'm pretty much done with this show until it has crossovers.

The fact that they actually loving did it and made Jay be Zoom is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Not to get sassy but it kind of seems like you're in here every week saying that. :raise:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If it's actually Zoom having played them as Jay, and not that they're from different points in time or something, it's dumb as hell.

Jay did nothing to actually undermine the group. He was the worst double agent ever.

Koalas March posted:

Weird, I thought we were talking about a TV show.

Regardless as a person with a neuromuscular disease who will probably end up in a wheelchair in their lifetime I think it's lovely to put her in one, totally not narcissistically name her after your book and then undisable her 3-5 episodes later.

In their world of medical nanites, shrinking doctors, magic healing herbs/water/etc. and a guy who can actually change matter at will it ain't healing her that's contrived.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

X-O posted:

God I hate Barry at this point. He's just an rear end in a top hat. I think I'm pretty much done with this show until it has crossovers.

The fact that they actually loving did it and made Jay be Zoom is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

There's something about the way Barry's saying his lines now that really bothers me. It's kinda like- I dunno, his voice is cracking all the time like he's gonna have a big cry?

Carlosologist posted:

Whoever had Jay as Zoom, you win a prize!

Zebulon posted:

Oh hey Zoom is Jay, big surprise.

Well gently caress, there goes my genius plan of just having Caitlyn or Barry fall in love with Zoom so he has to be removed from the show via death or being put on a Speedbus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's probably a train. Central City has a lot of trains.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If Zoom is the same Jay, then who did Zoom kill? It makes no sense.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

If it's actually Zoom having played them as Jay, and not that they're from different points in time or something, it's dumb as hell.

Jay did nothing to actually undermine the group. He was the worst double agent ever.

In their world of medical nanites, shrinking doctors, magic healing herbs/water/etc. and a guy who can actually change matter at will it ain't healing her that's contrived.

The healing pools were destroyed, Ray is in another timeline, and using the only gay/ black character on Arrow who has been regulated to do nothing but uplift this basic bitch IN EVERY SCENE {seriously without him her company would have gone down in flames) to heal her of her paralysis is disgusting in multiple ways. Hell they could've had her refuse the treatment and accept that is who she is now, but nope.

And honestly trotting out a disability and reversing it is so bad I shouldn't have to explain it to you.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think the problem of this season isn't the lack of "fun" or whatever you call it. It's that the season seems largely unfocused. Last season it didn't feel like this. It felt like all the episodes had some merit to it and pushed the plot forward without forcing it. Especially around this time near the end, where the Eobard plot basically stepped out of the shadows and got kicked into high gear.

This season feels like too much stuff was taking up time that could have been used better. The Patty romance subplot really contributed nothing in the end because of how it was handled, the meta of the week stuff was either unmemorable or acted as poor filler that didn't contribute much (Tar Pit, Geomancer, the Firestorm dude, Dr. Light, etc), and the team dynamics feel a lot weaker this season than last. This is kind of like the opposite of Arrow, where the first season was amazing and the second season pales in comparison.

The Jay being Zoom reveal feels like the final nail in that coffin. JayZoom is just nowhere as interesting or compelling as Eobard was as a big season villain. The problem there is the writers did not commit time to make Jay compelling to the viewer before this reveal. Kreisberg says that Jay is like a friend and mentor to Barry, but frankly that's a huge "tell, not show" problem because Jay never got enough screen time to properly form bonds with the team. The character he interacted with most was Caitlin and that romance was always terribly written, even more so now that we know the truth. Attaching Jay to Zoom actually makes Zoom look a lot less interesting as a villain.

Eobard worked because of the connection he shared with Barry, both as the man who ruined his life and the man who mentored him, even gave him his powers to begin with. He had a motive that felt sympathetic, even though his means were heinous, and I think I can honestly believe when he told Barry that he learned to care about him as a father would to a son (in his own sociopathic way.) There was genuine pathos to the character and to his bond with not just Barry, but Cisco and Caitlin as well. He was a man they all put so much trust in and the betrayal was played out in an organic way that doesn't exist here.

I'll still keep watching because I enjoy watching the show, but I'm nowhere near as invested in what's going on as I was last season. It's really such a pity.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't believe for a single second that they had planned for Jay to be Zoom from the beginning.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
At the very least, I'm glad Barry finally defeated an enemy by thinking on his own and not calling home base to get a pep talk.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My guess is time shenanigans and the man in the metal mask is either Jay or someone from the future like Thawne.

------A-------B-------C----->
It's like this: The original Earth 2 timeline has Jay being the Flash and becoming Zoom at some point C. Zoom then goes to the back in time too point B and beats Jay once and takes him with him to go even further back to the present at point A. Zoom is loving with his own timeline in a more isolated version of The One where he beats himself up and takes their speed or turns that Jay into the new Zoom. Unfortunately, the events on Earth 1 affect Earth 2 and the breaches appear which Zoom hadn't encountered in his original timeline. The complication then becomes Zoom has now just killed his past self rather than torturing and harassing himself.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Koalas March posted:

And honestly trotting out a disability and reversing it is so bad I shouldn't have to explain it to you.

Well don't let us stop you, you seem to love to do it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Carlosologist posted:

Whoever had Jay as Zoom, you win a prize!

Rarity posted:

I will laugh so loving hard if Jay Garrick is Zoom.

:smug:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Zoom is Eobard from Earth 2, he used his DNA thingy on Jay and because has Spped Force armor it didn't kill him.

There I bet you guys didn't think it could get any worse.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Koalas March posted:

The healing pools were destroyed, Ray is in another timeline, and using the only gay/ black character on Arrow who has been regulated to do nothing but uplift this basic bitch IN EVERY SCENE {seriously without him her company would have gone down in flames) to heal her of her paralysis is disgusting in multiple ways. Hell they could've had her refuse the treatment and accept that is who she is now, but nope.

Really?

I could understand the writers not healing her injury, but having her reject a cure for her disability would be super retarded.

Koalas March posted:

I bet you are super mad that Jay got his speed fixed too :v:

Take it to the Arrow thread so this one isn't derailed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 24, 2016

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So Zoom is one of two things. Either he is from yet another Earth and travels around sucking speed from his doppelgangers or he is cloning himself to suck the speed out of those.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mcswizzle posted:

I'm thinking that he might be the real Hunter Zolomon.

This.

He's already been mentioned... it's the logical choice.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I bet you are super mad that Jay got his speed fixed too :v:
I wish this forum wouldn't be so frequently obtuse for the sake of defending bad TV show decisions.

It's hella dumb to compare a fictional affliction to a real life disability with which it has no literal or figurative connections. Real people don't get speed cancer. Real people do have to sit in wheelchairs and watch how the media portrays characters who sit in wheelchairs.

I'm not invested enough in Felicity as a character to care about her fake TV spinal recovery, but I think it's super skeevy to mock anyone who brings up how rightfully problematic it is to trot out people in wheelchairs for your sweeps week melodrama only to give them magical fake cures when it's no longer convenient to portray them that way.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Real people get spinal injuries that they recover from after time, too.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I genuinely can't wait to see how they explain this, because all possibilities are so stupid.

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011

X-O posted:

Executive Producer.

quote:

“They let this person in,” Kreisberg continues...
*snip lots of crap*

This person and his thought processes are dumb. Very little about goodguy Jay's actions match up with Zoom's actions at all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Aside from them both wanting their speed.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

BrianWilly posted:

I'm not invested enough in Felicity as a character to care about her fake TV spinal recovery, but I think it's super skeevy to mock anyone who brings up how rightfully problematic it is to trot out people in wheelchairs for your sweeps week melodrama only to give them magical fake cures when it's no longer convenient to portray them that way.

Arrow is a show where a guy got stabbed in the kidney, lung, and kicked off the side of a mountain for a mid-season finale - and he lived! It just took bandages and penicillin tea. They also resurrected the corpse of a woman that had been dead for a year.

Paralysis is barely a scratch in the Arrowverse.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Man, those Argus dudes are chumps. That's the oldest trick in the book!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

X-O posted:

He has been all season. The last vestiges of Barry as an optimistic hero who can stand up as a symbol of hope died at the end of season 1.

Bad Moon posted:

Barry: "Felicity you used to call me on my cell phone :qq:"
I know that was about her being paralysed, but it really came off (to me) as him thinking "I broke up with Patty, wonder if Felicity's still interested. Hey, why isn't she returning my calls?"

X-O posted:

quote:

“They let this person in,” Kreisberg continues. “Part of the reason he was able to do that was because there was a hole in the center of their group, and he knew that. He was able to step in because they wanted it so desperately. Barry was missing his mentor, Wells, and here comes Jay offering to be his mentor. Caitlin [Danielle Panabaker] had lost Ronnie [Robbie Amell], and then here comes Jay offering to be her new knight in shinning armor.” (Seriously, poor Caitlin Snow!)

In this case, letting the past color their future actually worked against them. “The irony, of course, is the one person who has been saying, ‘Don’t trust this guy! Don’t trust this guy! Don’t trust this guy!’ has been Harry, who’s the one that none of them trusted,” Kreisberg says. “For us, there was all of this great, delicious irony to the whole thing. It happens in a way that didn’t make them look stupid, that the reason he was able to manipulate them was because he was playing on their emotions. It wasn’t because they were gullible. They actually took precautions in the beginning — Barry locked him up right away — but all of them had that need for a center and for a new star to right their ships by. Jay’s one charming, smooth guy and he was able to manipulate them in that way.”
Haha, this person really does not understand how their characters come across in the show.

Koalas March posted:

Hell they could've had her refuse the treatment and accept that is who she is now, but nope.
Wow. I 100% agree with you that having Felicity's paralysis healed is lovely (for multiple reasons), but having a viable treatment be available and her turning it down would be even worse. In every way.

Anyway, here's what I think's going on with Zoom. And I'm using the names we know the characters by for the sake of convenience.

Facts:
Zoom looks exactly like Jay.
Zoom instructed Wells to steal Barry's speed.
Zoom stated that he needs Wells to help him get faster.
Jay says he lost his powers because of experiments to gain more speed.
Jay doesn't trust Wells.
Wells doesn't trust Jay.
Official word is "Zoom is Jay".
Wells recognised Jay as the Flash (verified in flashback).
Wells claims responsibility for Zoom.

Conjecture
The man in the iron mask is also Jay.
Wells used super-science to help Jay get faster.
Wells created Zoom.

Conclusion
Jay Garrick was the Flash, but he, like Barry, always wanted to be faster. Harrison Wells, for whatever reason (possibly just the opportunity to study the speedforce) agreed to help him get faster. Wells tried to make Jay faster, but instead he split him into three different entities - a good speedster (the man in the iron mask), an evil speedster (Zoom) and his "human" side (Jay). Zoom just wants to be the fastest. He's all Jay's pride and ambition with nothing to hold him back. Iron mask is Jay's heroism and selflessness. He wants to stop Zoom, even if it means his own destruction. Jay is what's left. He wants to be what he was again (hence his experiments with the Velocity drugs) but lacking his ambition, pride, heroism and selflessness he isn't able to achieve anything. He can't fight Zoom, he's a coward, he runs away. When Zoom catches him, he immediately agrees to work for him. Hunter Zolomon is literally just E1 Jay Garrick and is a red herring.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Conclusion
Jay Garrick was the Flash, but he, like Barry, always wanted to be faster. Harrison Wells, for whatever reason (possibly just the opportunity to study the speedforce) agreed to help him get faster. Wells tried to make Jay faster, but instead he split him into three different entities - a good speedster (the man in the iron mask), an evil speedster (Zoom) and his "human" side (Jay). Zoom just wants to be the fastest. He's all Jay's pride and ambition with nothing to hold him back. Iron mask is Jay's heroism and selflessness. He wants to stop Zoom, even if it means his own destruction. Jay is what's left. He wants to be what he was again (hence his experiments with the Velocity drugs) but lacking his ambition, pride, heroism and selflessness he isn't able to achieve anything. He can't fight Zoom, he's a coward, he runs away. When Zoom catches him, he immediately agrees to work for him. Hunter Zolomon is literally just E1 Jay Garrick and is a red herring.

That sounds like a theory someone posted a few pages back where Iron Mask is the Ego, Jay Garrick we know is the Super Ego, and Zoom is the Id.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah the executive producer says Zoom and the Jay that got stabbed are literally the same entity though.

I don't know why he said anything honestly. It was dumb to talk extensively about that ending instead of letting it play out organically in the show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koalas March posted:

...Did you just play the race card from the 3rd person?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Andrew Kreisberg has somehow made a more incomprehensible plot than Zybourne Clock.

I'm not even mad, that's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

greatn posted:

Real people get spinal injuries that they recover from after time, too.

Yeah, but in TV land it always happens in less than a season. Which just seems super disrespectful, like real paralyzed people are just too lazy to get over their messed up spines.

• Locked thread