Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Post the rail with a price of 1 and an "OBO 1500" in the ad or something. Or you know, search and see what people list them for and what they sell for on eBay...

Alright will do. It was my son's birthday today, so I'm putting off the sand rail until tomorrow. I'll check out what's up. If it wasn't for one awful weld I'd feel more confident selling it higher.

Zanthia posted:

Since I started budgeting, I've never made hard cuts. Frankly, I don't have that kind of discipline. I started by just tracking my spending. After 3 months of tracking, I built a budget based on what I had been spending and how comfortable I felt about that spending. In the first year, I tweaked categories based on continued expense tracking. It's probably the laziest way to start a budget, but it worked for me.

I made some cuts over time naturally. Nothing drastic. I gradually became more aware of my impulse spending and set goals like "Don't buy more books." I've never tried to make cuts on basics like water usage, gas, or pet supplies. I treat those as fixed costs based on the max I've spent on them in the past. However, I know that's a luxury. If having an extra $100/month would be a big deal in the budget, then things like water and power usage matter a lot more.

I haven't always come in under budget. I've had to bump up some categories to make them more realistic, especially vet costs as my pets have gotten older. But it's rare for me to exceed my budget in any category anymore.

This is basically how I budget:

Ah, Ok so you mostly used the budget to cut impulse spending, and that was mostly enough it sounds like. And then you and Dwight both kind of fine tuned from there.

I want to start big, come under budget, and then fine tune to plan things around the budget after... I don't know after awhile. That sounds much better than trying to eek out every last cent from every category and screwing with it so much, as I've been doing.

Horking Delight posted:

You need more medical for therapy. Cut your income by putting it into HSA (for the tax advantage, isnt it pretax money?) and use HSA for paying therapist.

Well with ~$1300 in the HSA currently, and $100 a month, that should provide nearly a year's worth even at $200/mo. I think it will cost $50 per visit, but my insurance company (Anthem) doesn't have a lot of info. I'll have to call. Luckily there are some psychiatrists near where I live, so the first consult or whatever will be easier. That work? I'll be pretty bummed out if $1,900 over the next 6-10 months isn't enough.

HSA I don't think I can pretax contribute any longer. I can post-tax contribute though, which would mean some money back on the tax return? I'm guessing that if I post-tax contribute the medical to the HSA, then maybe that will be a tax deduction the following year. I'll have to look into it.

Veskit posted:

Not sharing the details is usually how something ends up a disaster. I wouldn't be so pushy if you weren't so open about sharing the details of seeing a therapist, I'm just lost at the part where you see a psychiatrist that makes you want to close down.

I mean yeah you can PM me but again I think openness and honesty will be the path to success.

It's just personal. I feel like I flaunt enough around on the internet. I'd be more open to posting about when I actually start visiting I think.

n8r posted:

If you bought the right house that appraises for more than you pay for it, you could use your 'instant equity' to pay off the car. I think you should keep crunching the numbers bro! Who knew that 6 figure purchase for a person who is worse than broke can be the best financial choice you've ever made!

It's hard to tell if you're joking, but I definitely was. I was poking fun at myself hardcore.

If you are joking, then that's brilliant; I'll start sleuthing for a deal. Maybe I could buy some cheap land and build a house out of pallets and blankets. Boom $1,100 per month saved.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

For me I started one month of just tracking spending without even doing a budget. I just categorized all the spending in Sept 13 then tried to budget in October. When I had a plan that reflected my non deliberative behavior, I started looking at that plan to answer the question "do I want this to be my reality?"

Restaurant spending dropped first, and usually I'd cut spending ahead of cutting budget, leaving me with a surplus. I'd say my discretionary spending, restaurants, and fuel expenses have all gone down. I've made changes to e.g. FiOS service to free money in the budget, switched insurance carriers, and tweaked other monthly expenses.

About 50% of the time I come in with 0 overspending, the other 50 I overspend on the order of 2% of my budget, which means less to spend next month.

The biggest help has probably been that with a monthly plan in the context of long term goals, opportunistic big spending doesn't happen as much. Used to be if I had a grand or two, I'd buy a gaming PC. My newest PC died in 2009 and I haven't replaced it, instead I dual boot my work laptop to play games. I could totally afford one today, but looking at doing it against my budget means cutting into the categories that help my long term goals. My long term goals are more important than elf tits to me now.

Right on. This was kind of what my wife and I decided to do before the DMV fine threw a wrench in our plans. Start big, and gradually try to cut as we could and as we got better at it. I don't think we had the right idea with big, though.

I realized earlier that if we had just started on a big budget like now, and just stuck with it throughout the thread, then we would have been out of debt already, and we'd probably have been way more comfortable along the way anyway.

I definitely won't be happy if we're spending to budget on especially discretionary regularly. That's really not what we're trying to do here. As well as we've done this month which isn't perfect, but definitely good or even very good, I don't have confidence that we can sustain it forever. At least this time the change will be done after a good month, rather than a bad one.

imabanana posted:

Buy a duplex, rent out the other half, live for (almost) free.

Throw the money you save at debt.

Later, move out, rent both halves.

I'd definitely find this interesting, but I don't think I could get financing (despite my joke). I do have a 635 Experian FICO which still isn't very good, and my credit report is still pretty negative. It's mostly been excellent credit card usage that has upped my score. June 2017 when 3-4 medical debt collections fall off we'll be looking better. I'd like to look more into stuff like this when we're out of debt, for sure.

Paying for the past mistakes still.

Horking Delight posted:

This is where I one day hope you will be at, Knyte.

Me too. I'm tired of this, guys. I genuinely hope this budget and the therapy will point us in the right direction. I have ambitions and dreams that I'm not ready to give up on, but I need to succeed in building this financial base to meet them.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You can't contribute to an HSA without a HDHP............

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Another reason you shouldn't even be remotely considering buying a house, if you're not planning on staying in the area for >5 years (aka: "Boy it would be nice to move to seattle / silicon valley to improve my career") you're completely screwing the pooch on closing costs wasted.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I think the equation for 5 years is not so great either, especially if you do much in the way of repairs to the house. I don't work in the corporate tech world, but jumping from job to job seems like the best way to improve pay/increase skillsets, and owning a home is a terrible idea if that is your professional strategy.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

Another reason you shouldn't even be remotely considering buying a house, if you're not planning on staying in the area for >5 years (aka: "Boy it would be nice to move to seattle / silicon valley to improve my career") you're completely screwing the pooch on closing costs wasted.

n8r posted:

I think the equation for 5 years is not so great either, especially if you do much in the way of repairs to the house. I don't work in the corporate tech world, but jumping from job to job seems like the best way to improve pay/increase skillsets, and owning a home is a terrible idea if that is your professional strategy.

I'd like to move to freelancing full time just for this. I don't want to be location dependent. But yeah I figure we'll know more in 2-3 years when we're closer to the reality of buying a home (hopefully).

February Final

http://i.imgur.com/kKNkRcI.png

http://i.imgur.com/0AW0Atu.png

http://i.imgur.com/hC6TvJI.png

It's late and it took me 3 screenshots for some reason. I'm not hiding anything. I'll post it in a normal format if anyone really wants me to. Gift cards to Olive Garden were used (partially) though, so technically a little more in restaurants.

Ignore the to be budgeted income. I'm switching budgets to the March one so this is in limbo. There's $110 in groceries we bought last night that hasn't cleared and it's not reflected here. Add $110 to it. And $7 because I grabbed a lunch today. Hopefully that's the last time I break the budget.

Overspent on groceries, discretionary. I think we did well.

March Budget
Ok this is pretty close to what I posted. Same dollar values I believe, just changed up category names slightly on some of them.

http://i.imgur.com/8mGmEcz.png

http://i.imgur.com/HcVAEPY.png[

My hidden categories is cut off, but I was too lazy to fight MSPaint just for that when you can see the values. I use a program called Snag It for screenshots usually, but I don't have that at home. That's why my screenshots are weird this time.

That looks much nicer. Good idea simplifying it Horking.

$403.75 is the planned amount going towards debt every month, plus non-rollover category additions, plus business profits and income, plus whatever else. Should always be a little more, at least.

Sand rail (to head off questions): I still haven't gotten to it. This weekend I'll get it posted for sure :toxx:. I spent some of this past weekend cleaning up the backyard so it's presentable enough to get potential buyers in. Plus it needed to be done.

Anyway I'm tired of typing and I think I got it all.

Edit oh Marchs' budget does reflect the $110 in groceries, and I just paid off two credit cards as well so that's diff from Feb.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 24, 2016

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Snag it is cool and all but sniping tool comes with Windows if you are running a computer with Windows. Unless you are on XP still...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Looks pretty good, I think it's a little sad that you and your wife can't survive on $1000/month of 'discretionary' money, but it's your goals not mine.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

n8r posted:

Looks pretty good, I think it's a little sad that you and your wife can't survive on $1000/month of 'discretionary' money, but it's your goals not mine.

That much discretionary money makes me feel like there's just a lot of uncategorized expenses.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Yes, it's almost like there's multiple pages discussing budgeting large amounts of money to reinforce the habit of staying within the budget, even if the limits of the budget are painfully high to reflect the spending habits and actual priorities of the person making the budget.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Yeah, I read the thread. It was painful.

At some point it really is just laughable though. Maybe it's because I don't make as much money as Knyteguy, but having that much money assigned to "i dunno" would be about the same as just not having a budget at all.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

My hidden categories is cut off, but I was too lazy to fight MSPaint just for that when you can see the values. I use a program called Snag It for screenshots usually, but I don't have that at home. That's why my screenshots are weird this time.

Since nYNAB is browser-based, you could use the imgur extension for chrome/whatever and screenshot the entire page with like two clicks.

right click > imgur > capture page to > whatever

I've said it in the past, but the "big bucket" categories worry me. It makes the money a little more abstract and makes planning for upcoming costs harder, at least that's how it works for me. I like very much seeing our savings goals broken down, not a "big pile of cash free for all".

I'm not saying this can't work for you, but I could see how it may not help all that much. Planning every-freaking-thing is the biggest and most important part of money-stress-reduction for me.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Y'all are putting the goddamn cart in front of the horse.

Arguing about the vagaries about a particular budget are silly when the habitual capacity to create and adhere to a budget is still tenuous and consistently dedicating income to progressing debt paydown is a much bigger issue to tackle than correctly budgeting for amazon prime vs netflix.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
If a discretionary budget of $1000/mo keeps KG from going out and buying expensive one-off items then it is a drat sight better than a discretionary of $400 and unbudgeted purchases of $5000+ in six months.

Let him come in under budget for three months before you start telling him to change his budget, that's the same exercise he is being asked to do so calm the gently caress down and give him the three months.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

bringer posted:

If a discretionary budget of $1000/mo keeps KG from going out and buying expensive one-off items then it is a drat sight better than a discretionary of $400 and unbudgeted purchases of $5000+ in six months.

Let him come in under budget for three months before you start telling him to change his budget, that's the same exercise he is being asked to do so calm the gently caress down and give him the three months.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm not saying this can't work for you, but I could see how it may not help all that much. Planning every-freaking-thing is the biggest and most important part of money-stress-reduction for me.
Knyteguy has made it quite clear over the course of this thread that he can't do that, though. Planning out every single calorie you put into your mouth at the start of each month can be a very effective diet, but not if you get frustrated by day three and just start eating pizza because it's easier. Maybe something like Weight Watchers points will work better for him. Or maybe he's just a hopeless financial fatass, who knows? But he clearly needs to try something different because the old way did him no good at all.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Yeah we tried more advanced strategies and they didn't work. At all. The $5000 in unaccounted for purchases is an exaggeration only in the sense that... Wait no, I forgot about the 600? dollar weight set (plus the 2500 car and the 2000 computer makes over 5000...), that's accurate.

He's shown that he needs baby steps.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Baby steps, hmmm...

Maybe he should make a budget like so:

Income: X
Debt Repayment: Y
Everything Else: Z

Blow one category, and you've blown the budget. :smuggo:

I'm not being serious, but given that he hasn't been able to hit a budget for three consecutive months yet, maybe this actually WOULD be following the "baby steps" idea.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

bringer posted:

Quoting for when 'just stay the course, KG' doesn't fulfill his need to feel like he's *doing something* and he comes up with another get rich quick scheme in about 18 days.

I decided to do an engine rebuild and full resto on the sand rail, can't make money if you don't spend money! I'll take it from next month's random $5 I'm gonna get, it's cool. I'll double down on rice and beans this week and vape less. Maybe I'll start a vape cart in the mall along with all the freelancing I said I'd be doing. I'll budget for +$4000 for the sand rail right now.

-Thread melts down.
-KG quits thread for a month.
-Camaro needed an LS7 swap because reasons.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

BloodBag posted:

Quoting for when 'just stay the course, KG' doesn't fulfill his need to feel like he's *doing something* and he comes up with another get rich quick scheme in about 18 days.

I decided to do an engine rebuild and full resto on the sand rail, can't make money if you don't spend money! I'll take it from next month's random $5 I'm gonna get, it's cool. I'll double down on rice and beans this week and vape less. Maybe I'll start a vape cart in the mall along with all the freelancing I said I'd be doing. I'll budget for +$4000 for the sand rail right now.

-Thread melts down.
-KG quits thread for a month.
-Camaro needed an LS7 swap because reasons.

That's the whole point. If KG can't keep to a fluffed up budget then it demonstrates conclusively that his problem has nothing to do with budgeting, or BFC in general.

I kind of agree with KG saying that willpower is limited and he's been trying to quit smoking, going out, drinking, eating snacks, et cetera, in order to meet his financial goals. And failing, because it's pretty common to stress spend and he's removing all of his other de-stressors at the same time. Maybe if he accepts that he can't cut spending so hard he'll be able to cut things down over time and in three or six months hopefully he'll be closer to a BFC-approved budget. Or maybe not, but then gently caress it. We can all piss down this well E/N style, because that's where the thread will belong.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
KG, make your monthly budget an NFL season. Every budget item is a regular season game where you already know your own score (budgeted amount) and the goal is to prevent the opposing team from beating your score. Maybe you can give the Detroit Lions their first winning season, eh?

imabanana
May 26, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

Baby steps, hmmm...

Maybe he should make a budget like so:

Income: X
Debt Repayment: Y
Everything Else: Z

Blow one category, and you've blown the budget. :smuggo:

I'm not being serious, but given that he hasn't been able to hit a budget for three consecutive months yet, maybe this actually WOULD be following the "baby steps" idea.

I said this and was serious.

I don't think it's helpful for him to think about this as much as he currently seems to.

Get paid

Pay debt

Pay fixed expenses

Live on the rest

Overcomplicating it hasn't worked.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

The problem is that he still regularly goes into the red in terms of "spent more money than I made" in certain months. If he doesn't "save" up, sometimes he gets emergencies like "it's someone's birthday" or "I had a doctor's appointment" or "My car insurance was due this month".

I worry if he mixes discretionary and everything else into the same category, we're just going to see "I spent all my budgeted income in the first three weeks but now the baby's out of diapers so I was forced to go over" (after two weeks after screaming at him "DON'T SPEND SO MUCH ON X" and him saying "Don't worry, I still have money left!") That's why I wanted discretionary to be separated away from the rest of his budget.

Didn't he once spend all of his discretionary on getting a Kindle on like, day loving three of the month and then busted his discretionary budget because he had to have drinks with his boss or something? Was that actually what happened? Maybe I'm misremembering it, but I'm too lazy to go back and check right now.

EDIT: Holy poo poo I was actually right, it was "drinks at a bar with the boss" followed by "and also a commitment to a fantasy football league for real money later". Search is working so that was easier than I thought:

August 4th, 2014 Jesus Christ:

Knyteguy posted:

We went through a lot of our discretionary this weekend, but that's because we bought a Kindle ($69 base model). It's actually for the family so it came out of both our blow categories and a little entertainment too. Luckily there is still enough leftover between discretionary categories to keep us satiated the rest of the month if we're at all smart about it. Plus hey books are cheap entertainment $/hour.

August 22, 2014:

Knyteguy posted:

Couple quick things to note: we broke the blow money budget by about $10.00-$15.00 (I haven't entered it yet so I'm not certain). Ok so here is where I finally can start to see some problems with buying the Kindle so early in the month. If we had realized the want and waited until the end of the month, we would have known there wouldn't be enough, but we could have saved a little difference and picked it up next month instead.

I decided to break the blow budget because my boss invited me to a fantasy football league (netted $40.00 last year), and I figured the work rapport was enough of a positive to justify going and buying a beer, and meeting some new friends. I'll try to prepare for something like this next month. I think this is the one time expenses that Bugamol keeps trying to drill into my head. Considering we were there for 3 hours though I did pretty good keeping it to one happy hour beer. Fantasy football won't need to be budgeted until the end of the season, so I didn't pay anything up front.

September 1, 2014:

This is not a man I trust to keep money in reserve for unexpected future expenses.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 25, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

The problem is that he still regularly goes into the red in terms of "spent more money than I made" in certain months. If he doesn't "save" up, sometimes he gets emergencies like "it's someone's birthday" or "I had a doctor's appointment" or "My car insurance was due this month".

I worry if he mixes discretionary and everything else into the same category, we're just going to see "I spent all my budgeted income in the first three weeks but now the baby's out of diapers so I was forced to go over" (after two weeks after screaming at him "DON'T SPEND SO MUCH ON X" and him saying "Don't worry, I still have money left!") That's why I wanted discretionary to be separated away from the rest of his budget.

Didn't he once spend all of his discretionary on getting a Kindle on like, day loving three of the month and then busted his discretionary budget because he had to have drinks with his boss or something? Was that actually what happened? Maybe I'm misremembering it, but I'm too lazy to go back and check right now.

This is not a man I trust to keep money in reserve for unexpected future expenses.

I know I'm terrible and I talk a lot. (I'm a little grouchy sorry).

OneWhoKnows posted:

KG, make your monthly budget an NFL season. Every budget item is a regular season game where you already know your own score (budgeted amount) and the goal is to prevent the opposing team from beating your score. Maybe you can give the Detroit Lions their first winning season, eh?

I wish there was another poster I could compete with anymore. I'd love that. I need a budgeting rival dammit.

imabanana posted:

I said this and was serious.

I don't think it's helpful for him to think about this as much as he currently seems to.

Get paid

Pay debt

Pay fixed expenses

Live on the rest

Overcomplicating it hasn't worked.

I'd like to do this when we're more familiar with sticking to an allotted amount. I think simplifying will be good for this. No more tinkering. I tried to do make a huge debt payment this month, and live on the rest, but we didn't quite do it. I need to figure out what's reasonable. I think this process will help with that.

bringer posted:

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Y'all are putting the goddamn cart in front of the horse.

Arguing about the vagaries about a particular budget are silly when the habitual capacity to create and adhere to a budget is still tenuous and consistently dedicating income to progressing debt paydown is a much bigger issue to tackle than correctly budgeting for amazon prime vs netflix.

Empty quoting (thanks).

dreesemonkey posted:

Since nYNAB is browser-based, you could use the imgur extension for chrome/whatever and screenshot the entire page with like two clicks.

right click > imgur > capture page to > whatever

I've said it in the past, but the "big bucket" categories worry me. It makes the money a little more abstract and makes planning for upcoming costs harder, at least that's how it works for me. I like very much seeing our savings goals broken down, not a "big pile of cash free for all".

spwrozek posted:

Snag it is cool and all but sniping tool comes with Windows if you are running a computer with Windows. Unless you are on XP still...

Win10 so I have it. I didn't know about that.

Imgur extension: I believe I tired in on nYNAB but I was having trouble. I'll try again I may have used another extension (in fact I think I did). I did take a step to make it easier to post though.

Just whatever makes it easier. If I could one screenshot stuff that would be great.

bringer posted:

That's the whole point. If KG can't keep to a fluffed up budget then it demonstrates conclusively that his problem has nothing to do with budgeting, or BFC in general.

I kind of agree with KG saying that willpower is limited and he's been trying to quit smoking, going out, drinking, eating snacks, et cetera, in order to meet his financial goals. And failing, because it's pretty common to stress spend and he's removing all of his other de-stressors at the same time. Maybe if he accepts that he can't cut spending so hard he'll be able to cut things down over time and in three or six months hopefully he'll be closer to a BFC-approved budget. Or maybe not, but then gently caress it. We can all piss down this well E/N style, because that's where the thread will belong.

Yeah. I want to keep spending lowish. March I have some hobby plans, but beyond that I think we can at least be near what we did this month.

2 months sober today on the alcohol. It's still tough, but that's for another thread I suppose.

n8r posted:

Meh I intend on spending less than that generally. I am still the guy who wants to cut hardcore every dollar to get out of debt by August and to have a house by September 2017. That's a fools errand I realize, but we can now cut and not worry about going over budget on some small things (like a $7 hamburger).

Too many posts to get to guys, but thanks for the input. I've been contemplating these posts most of the day.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 25, 2016

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

I wish there was another poster I could compete with anymore. I'd love that. I need a budgeting rival dammit.

If you give me until April 1 to start getting regularly paid again, I'd be up for C-Level BFC Celebrity Budgeting Deathmatch with you.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

KG - you are planning on doing therapy, have you looked into what your insurance will cover with regard to therapy? I would contend that now is the right time to determine what this will cost, and start stashing money away for it. I think there is a very good chance that therapy could cost you anywhere from $0 - $150+ per visit. This is a foreseeable future expense - like when you had your kid - that you should start saving for now.

I just think that $1000 is far too much for KG to be spending. He's got $100 set aside for subscriptions, he mentioned any expensive hobbies. What on earth are you spending $1000 a month on?

-I think part of the budget/thread should be documenting what this $1000 a month is spent on.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I disagree. Let's give him a chance to actually be under budget for once.

Since Knyteguy is recording his transactions in YNAB, we will be able to see what he spends his $1,000/month on, even if it is not split into many categories.

Good luck Knyte.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Hawkgirl posted:

Since Knyteguy is recording his transactions in YNAB, we will be able to see what he spends his $1,000/month on, even if it is not split into many categories.

Good luck Knyte.

I agree. But I also think this part is a good idea:

n8r posted:

-I think part of the budget/thread should be documenting what this $1000 a month is spent on.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

If he wants to set his discretionary high, it's his budget and he can if he is willing to accept the consequences (slower debt paydown). He said he'd try to spend less, so I'd like to see him try it out first and see what happens, but if that's the amount he spends, then as long as it works with his other stuff, whatever.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

A realistic plan for Knyte is what is valuable. Budgets are plans and are only valuable when executed. We have two years of data that chastening toward budgets which do not accommodate impulsive spending and Knyte's consumption habits have not gotten him out of debt. Those plans do not have value.

Frankly I agree with n8r that therapy should be a priority. It should be a higher priority than budgeting, but in the realm of discussing budgets, the previous ones are not realistic because they are not plans that Knyte can execute.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
What's the therapy/Psych status?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Does anyone know KGs starting debt and where he sits now? I would be interested to see overall what he has paid down. Also throw in the cost of having the baby that he did save up for.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

spwrozek posted:

Does anyone know KGs starting debt and where he sits now? I would be interested to see overall what he has paid down. Also throw in the cost of having the baby that he did save up for.

Debt from before:
Car - $26,769
Student Loans - $8,600
Grandma - $2,000ish
Speeding Ticket (was before thread) - $1,000
Wells Fargo Credit Card - $1,000
Baby - $3,500 ($3,800 in medical expenses in 2015, so this is a very close estimate)
Back Taxes - $2,700
Credit Union Collection - $350

Total:
$45,919 ($43,219 not including back taxes)

Most of this data is from here:

And my old budget Horking quoted above.

Now:
Car - $17,080
Student Loans - $7,160

Total:
$24,240

IllegallySober posted:

If you give me until April 1 to start getting regularly paid again, I'd be up for C-Level BFC Celebrity Budgeting Deathmatch with you.

:black101:

Yes! I'm totally down. Let's figure out a better method than the August version of what SloMo and I did. It was too hard to judge.

Texans vs Lions look out. I'm JJ Watt

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 25, 2016

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Hah, beat your edit ^^^^^^^^^^

Knyteguy posted:

Rules of engagement? :black101: I'm totally down. Let's figure out a better method than the August version of what SloMo and me did. It was too hard to judge.

Titans vs Lions look out. I'm JJ Watt

Titans, bro? :frogout:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
^^^^^ and I beat yours!

Corrected myself before you quoted c'mon that was a big post

I'm still JJ Watt I'm going to tackle some selfie taking mother f'ers

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Corrected myself before you quoted c'mon that was a big post

I'm still JJ Watt

Based on your progress so far, you're actually every Texans QB in franchise history- showed promise and then flopped :boom:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

Based on your progress so far, you're actually every Texans QB in franchise history- showed promise and then flopped :boom:

As long as I'm not Brian Hoyer

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Knyteguy posted:

As long as I'm not Brian Hoyer

Go to Michigan state, make good money being bad in the NFL, be an analyst. Good times.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

KG - you are planning on doing therapy, have you looked into what your insurance will cover with regard to therapy? I would contend that now is the right time to determine what this will cost, and start stashing money away for it. I think there is a very good chance that therapy could cost you anywhere from $0 - $150+ per visit. This is a foreseeable future expense - like when you had your kid - that you should start saving for now.

I just think that $1000 is far too much for KG to be spending. He's got $100 set aside for subscriptions, he mentioned any expensive hobbies. What on earth are you spending $1000 a month on?

Yeah I think it's $50 based on some research I did.

I'm not looking at it like we're spending $1000. I'm looking at it like we're budgeting $1000, and then trying to spend less.

Documenting I guess I can. I'll document after I spend, though, not before.

Hawkgirl posted:

Good luck Knyte.

Thanks. Yeah I am recording. I probably won't offer fine grain detail. Principal of it and all...

Veskit posted:

What's the therapy/Psych status?

Same.

spwrozek posted:

Go to Michigan state, make good money being bad in the NFL, be an analyst. Good times.

I didn't realize he was a Michigan State guy. I'm slowly becoming a Michigan fan (behind Nevada of course) just from Detroit sports news exposure (plus I like Harbaugh). Both schools seem pretty amazing at college football. I'd love to go to a big school rivalry game. My boss goes to see Alabama, Texas A&M, and... one more all the time while traveling for work. Big college games sound like a blast.

I've only been to one college football game. Still haven't been to a professional one. Some day.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You should get LASIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You should get LASIK.