Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Bhaal posted:

So I have a newbie question: these 3 different core books confuse me. Are they compatible together? eg. if the party wanted a jedi, smuggler, a pilot & other stereotypes across the 3 books, would it be a horrible mashup with huge power disparities or are they intended to gel? It seems like each has its own class arrangement and star-wars themed setting, but I don't know if it's interchangeable between them or if you're better off sticking to one core book per campaign.

The answer is Yes but. Each of the books presents a different style of game and motivation for what your doing so the important thing is making sure everyone's goals and picture of star wars is the same. Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion are pretty compatible with no changes but Force and Destiny is a bit of a different bag of tricks. Edge of the Empire classes are all fairly versatile and diverse in their skillsets while Age of Rebellion are all very much pigeonholing type classes that operate under the express idea that you are fighting to take down the Empire, albeit in different forms. Thanks to the fairly open ended character progression you end up bouncing around between classes to get abilities you want but each class in AoR is ultimately a lot more focused than Eote.

Another big shift is that destiny points which are essentially a way for both the player and the GM to say 'nah, this cool thing happens.' They can be either dark side or light, if a GM uses one a dark side flips to light and if a player uses one a light flips to dark. They are group based tool for telling a story so theres a good chance people will take some getting used to before everyone is comfortable bouncing them back and forth. An example I use was in one of my games the players were racing along on speederbikes in a a city with a TIE Fighter chasing them. One of the players said 'I want to get on top of that TIE'. While that isn't really something in the realms of possibility, he flips a light side point to dark and described himself ramping up an exposed construction zone and catching on to the TIE Fighter.

Finally the obligation/Duty/Morality mechanics which lock your character into the setting a lot more (essentially people in the star wars universe all come with some kind of physical or mental grounding to the universe) but they are all very different and should probably only pick one of the 3 mechanics based on what the premise of your game is. Essentially the are reflective of the book's theme. Obligation would be something like being in debt to a Hutt, Duty would be why you joined the Rebellion and Morality is what your emotional strengths are and what is your greatest weakness that could lure you to the dark side.

Bhaal posted:

1) We've played enough 3.x, thanks. Give us some fresher mechanics and more progressed design wisdom. I have looked into the dice mechanics for star wars a bit and don't understand it fully, but get the gist and recognize it is not the d20 standard trope.

The dice mechanics are going to feel very very different if your group is used to D&D. D&D is built around a pass or fail mechanic where any time you roll you either pass and get what you want or fail to hit the number and nothing happens. FFGSW is built around the idea of something almost always happening on the roll and often there is no specific target number or goal to hit with a roll. In all rolls except for opposed checks, you build a dice pool based upon your appropriate stat for the check, the skill and the difficulty of what you are achieving. You also add circumstance bonuses and penalties. Essentially all dice (except the force dice) can be split into positive (generating success, triumph and advantage) and negative ( failure, Dispair and threat). The dice roll will generate a mixture of positive and negative results that ultimately pair down to 'more success or failure' and 'more advantage or threat' (dispair and triumph and crits and are a different thing). Success/failure means you achieve or fail whatever you were trying to do while advantage/threat are unexpected happens alongside it. This can be as simple as dumping fire on a squad of stormtroopers you're trying to escape from and a few advantage has your shots knock down a crate of barrels slowing them down all the way to getting a tonne of threat while also getting successes on an intimidate roll and basically doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raF9wfPxir8

Bhaal posted:

2) We've grown wary of the "Linear Fighter / Quadratic Wizard" problem, we'd rather have everyone be of a similar parity so they can choose what they want for flavor and not have to worry about going way ahead / way behind.

The force sensitive stuff in AoR and EotE are designed to neatly slip in with the rest of the party. You're not playing a clone wars era jedi doing super backflips and throwing star destroyers around but more playing Luke in the original trilogy. You are spending xp to advance each individual power in the same way someone else would spend xp to gain more class abilities. By the time you are Return of the Jedi Luke, your bounty hunter buddy has gotten 3 or 4 tress completed and is a general powerhouse himself. The force dice is unique in that its the only check you are more likely to fail on than succeed. The implication is that this is a dark time in the galaxy and the dark side of the force is inherently stronger. Force and Destiny opens it up a bit different letting you play darkside/lightside morality stuff but for AoR and EotE it purely looks at it as an aspiring force sensitive who hasn't really gotten that far yet (you can still certainly roleplaying this out though). Rolling light side points on the force die lets you spend them on certain aspects/abilities of a force power that you've been unlocking with xp while Dark side points get you nothing. The destiny points system also crosses over here letting you flip dark side points to light however to help you push that narrative flow or encourage the 'tapping into the dark side' aspect of the roleplaying. In some circumstances getting dark side points will help if you are using certain powers (like trying to use a jedi mind trick to make someone angry or when trying to force choke someone out).

Bhaal posted:

3) We like campaign settings that the DM can either run straight or (more usually) use as a starting point to riff on. However we've been unhappy with the campaign books for 5e so far. Hoard of the Dragon Queen / Rise of Tiamat were extremely railroady that make huge blinding assumptions about the party's actions.

Yeah I'm definitely someone who prefers a starting point or universe with my games so Star Wars is kind of an easy setting for me. Go see the original trilogy and you're pretty much good to go for how this setting works.There are a couple of decent scenarios though FFG have never been amazing with their scenario books to be honest. Thankfully its not hard to have a star wars campaign idea. Empire is building secret weapon or just a general fight to free a planet/sector from the Empire seems pretty good. They're are lots of clear enemies from Crime Lords and Legendary Bounty Hunters to Grand Moffs and Inquisitors.

EDIT:

Jawdins posted:

I would add to this that Edge of the Empire is probably the most approachable theme from the start. It lends itself well to just about any kind of campaign, while the other two are a bit narrower in focus. It also has the added benefit of having the most supplements available at the moment.

Yah this is absolutely true in my experience. Being a bunch of scrappy ne'er-do-wells with little going for them and humble origins eventually saving the galaxy is peak star wars storytelling. It also has the least external stuff you need to know about the game (I think the only special campaign rule is that the players get a starting ship?) and having the game cold open on a standard smuggling/bounty going wrong real fast is an easy hook to get going.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'd also go with EotE when in doubt because Obligation is super interesting.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Re: a Eurozone Roll20 game, what time(s) would work for people? Like, if Sunday afternoon/evening is an option, I could actually get up before noon in my US timezone and GM every couple weeks? Or is my understanding of Geography and Math indicative of my shoddy public education?

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

susan posted:

Re: a Eurozone Roll20 game, what time(s) would work for people? Like, if Sunday afternoon/evening is an option, I could actually get up before noon in my US timezone and GM every couple weeks? Or is my understanding of Geography and Math indicative of my shoddy public education?

I'd be down for this too if you'd rather play than gm.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

owl milk posted:

I'd be down for this too if you'd rather play than gm.

Groovy :) . What kind of game you thinkin'?

Anyway, Sunday work for everyone in the Eurozone? There's about an 8hr difference, so maybe like 5pm Grenwich Mean/9am Pacific as a preliminary target?

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I need to pick up eote but for now I'm thinking a game focused on force-sensitives without a jedi/sith to lead them. Players would start as an eote or aor character and progress from there, f&d careers open with holocrons or something like that.

Not everyone would have to be a force-sensitive as long as they're ok that the focus is on discovering powers and eventually trying to stay one step ahead of the inquisitors. A cranky old droideca and a wookiee doctor would be cool for example.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

susan posted:

Anyway, Sunday work for everyone in the Eurozone? There's about an 8hr difference, so maybe like 5pm Grenwich Mean/9am Pacific as a preliminary target?

Yeah, there's an 8 hour difference between US Pacific and GMT, so a 6pm game in the UK would be 10am on the West Coast.

I'm GMT+1 and would be totally down for a Sunday game, that's actually probably the best day of the week for me.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

owl milk posted:

I need to pick up eote but for now I'm thinking a game focused on force-sensitives without a jedi/sith to lead them. Players would start as an eote or aor character and progress from there, f&d careers open with holocrons or something like that.

Not everyone would have to be a force-sensitive as long as they're ok that the focus is on discovering powers and eventually trying to stay one step ahead of the inquisitors. A cranky old droideca and a wookiee doctor would be cool for example.

Dibs on a misanthrope Sullistan Smuggler Pilot :P .

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

susan posted:

Dibs on a misanthrope Sullistan Smuggler Pilot :P .

Speaking of tropes and character roles, what are some of the best or most bizarre ones you've seen or heard of in EotE or the other settings?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

susan posted:

I just finished a game that started Sunday evenings, and it is a good time slot for getting Europeans and Americans in the same game.

owl milk posted:

And that sounds like a fun concept - I'm thinking some kind of warrior monk from an ancient tradition who is force sensitive (well his entire order is) so the imperials stomped on that fast. GMT timezone here.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zodack posted:

Speaking of tropes and character roles, what are some of the best or most bizarre ones you've seen or heard of in EotE or the other settings?

Assassin droid who, despite multiple memory wipes, still knows about assassination, but only assassination. :P

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The seven "actually pretty decent" exes of our Correllian pilot, which started as a "We keep rolling her obligation, it can't be the same one each time" thing and then evolved to "Okay, so every time the pilot's obligation comes up, it's a new ex-wife and/or husband until it stops being funny"

...It took a while for it to stop being funny.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Zodack posted:

I vaguely remember a goon application for a PbP waaay back when who submitted a Jawa who lived inside of a hollowed-out R2 unit.

I've been sitting on a character based on one of my SWTOR dudes: a morbidly obese bounty hunter with a wannabe hardass attitude and a severe case of Dunning-Kruger. He had Obligation: Addiction (food), and was inspired by Patton Oswalt's soldiers of fortune convention bit. I debated whether or not his physique confined him to a Rascal Scooter undersized speeder moped.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 23, 2016

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Zodack posted:

We got Sullustan Twoflower.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
One question before I start planning a game, I'm not a subscriber on roll20 so would it be possible for someone who is to make the game and transfer gm status to me? If not I guess I can shell out for it but it's kind of waste if I'm only gming one game.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

owl milk posted:

One question before I start planning a game, I'm not a subscriber on roll20 so would it be possible for someone who is to make the game and transfer gm status to me? If not I guess I can shell out for it but it's kind of waste if I'm only gming one game.

You can make games on Roll20 for free, you don't get all the tools but you get enough. Google Hangout Roll20 plugin is awesome.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The basic functionality of Roll20's free version will work just fine, the subscriptions only add quality-of-life improvements if you're doing a complicated campaign or running multiple games.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
You need access to the API to use the special dice and that requires mentor, it'll be annoying and each roll would probably take a lot longer than it should if we have to convert regular dice. I could potentially trust people if they want to roll irl or with the app but I've had a couple bad experiences with fakers so I'd rather not do that.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
I think if you use Roll20 + Google Hangout you've got dice covered, at least I've played in several online eote games and never shelled out $$.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Beach posted:

I think if you use Roll20 + Google Hangout you've got dice covered, at least I've played in several online eote games and never shelled out $$.

This does work, before GMing my group I tested it out to see if you could use both and it is really simple.

Unfortunately I am garbage at using roll20 so we just use the Hangouts API.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Zodack posted:

This does work, before GMing my group I tested it out to see if you could use both and it is really simple.

Unfortunately I am garbage at using roll20 so we just use the Hangouts API.

Roll20 is great for integrating the voice chat, maptools, dice, etc into one package: plus storing character sheets. Even if we have to use a separate thing for dice, should be fine.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Oh awesome, there's a hangout app for dice rolling. Alright I'll get started on a thread, if people wouldn't mind playing on the 28th that would be great, otherwise we can aim for the 6th.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

owl milk posted:

Oh awesome, there's a hangout app for dice rolling. Alright I'll get started on a thread, if people wouldn't mind playing on the 28th that would be great, otherwise we can aim for the 6th.

Either of those works for me. Do you have any thoughts for the type of game so we can start thinking about character creation? Exclusively one of the systems, or a mix-and-match?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

owl milk posted:

I might be late to any game on the 28th, but I'm clear for the 6th.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Drone posted:

Either of those works for me. Do you have any thoughts for the type of game so we can start thinking about character creation? Exclusively one of the systems, or a mix-and-match?

owl milk posted:

Feel free to mix and match but no careers from f&d just yet. If you want force exile or something like that it's fine, that means you get a jump start on the other characters who don't start with a force die. I need to pick up eote later this week cus I'm not up on its rules that much but I want most of the party to be force-sensitive, either sooner or later, so I may just give it to you guys for free at some point and if you're already sensitive you'd prob get free xp.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Also if you guys want to use things from splatbooks be my guest, I don't own any and am not currently planning on getting any. I know of at least a couple overpowered blasters and the like from them so I'll reserve final judgement but I'll trust you to pick things that make your character more interesting not more munchkiny .

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

owl milk posted:

That sounds like a cool concept. Since you are planning for your PCs to eventually unlock force sensitivity would you want them to have Morality picked out at char gen, despite starting as eote characters? That might help color the progression even if they aren't generating conflict yet.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
These are good for seeing the splatbook spec trees if you don't already have access to them.

http://beggingforxp.com/2014/star-wars-talent-sheets/

susan
Jan 14, 2013
I could do early on the 28th (probably) or the 6th (definitely), just need to block out the time :) . And here's what I am thinking for a character so far:

Min Lin Neumael, Sullustan Smuggler Gunslinger

Brawn - 2
Agility - 4
Intellect - 2
Cunning - 2
Willpower - 2
Presence - 2

Obligation - Starting + 10
Wound Threshold: 12
Strain Threshold: 13

Skills:
Astrogation 1
Cool 1
Deception 1
Perception 1
Pilot (Space) 2
Ranged (Light) 2
Skullduggery 1
Vigilance 1

Talents:
Grit 1
Rapid Reaction 1
Quick Strike 1
Skilled Jockey 1

Equipment:
50cr
Blaster Pistol
Heavy Clothing

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Maybe y'all should start a let's play thread or whatever

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
lol yeah hold youre horses till i make the thread jeez

here da thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765639

owl milk fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 24, 2016

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

These are good for seeing the splatbook spec trees if you don't already have access to them.

http://beggingforxp.com/2014/star-wars-talent-sheets/

Thanks! Running a game with a large group tomorrow night.

Any advice for handling groups of 6-7? Split them up?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the best way to go about building a Rival/Nemesis? I have the Character Generator program so I'm able to build an Inquisitor which is fine but I'd like to upgrade Trex from the beginner box to a real opponent, as well as build some droids that will figure into the Assassin Droid's story. Should I just use the same amount of XP as the player's have and give them the Nemesis talent? Is that even a thing?

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
It's actually a different part of the same program. Open up the one called "SW GM Tools," under Adversaries click new and you'll be able to flag them with the drop down box as a nemesis or rival or whatever. From there it's sort of like building a pc but a lot more condensed, everything is in super long scroll lists. You'll have to give them the talents and whatnot yourself and don't forget to give a good nemesis ranks in Adversary.

As far as power goes that's up to you I think. Do what seems right for them. I often give the more non-combat nemeses a whole bunch of talky and knowledge skills and that increases the power level by a ton, when the players will most likely only see less than half those skills used.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the best way to go about building a Rival/Nemesis? I have the Character Generator program so I'm able to build an Inquisitor which is fine but I'd like to upgrade Trex from the beginner box to a real opponent, as well as build some droids that will figure into the Assassin Droid's story. Should I just use the same amount of XP as the player's have and give them the Nemesis talent? Is that even a thing?

It's a good idea to give your big bads Imperial Valor or its equivalent, so you can have them throw some ablative mooks in the way of incoming attacks.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

susan posted:

I could do early on the 28th (probably) or the 6th (definitely), just need to block out the time :) . And here's what I am thinking for a character so far:

Min Lin Neumael, Sullustan Smuggler Gunslinger

Is he working on a musical about Bail Organa?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Test Pattern posted:

Is he working on a musical about Bail Organa?

Lando Calrissian. There's a million things he hasn't done. But just you wait, just you wait...

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

susan posted:

Lando Calrissian. There's a million things he hasn't done. But just you wait, just you wait...

Now I'm trying to put together Hamilton as a Lando Calrissian musical. Thanks.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

karmicknight posted:

Now I'm trying to put together Hamilton as a Lando Calrissian musical. Thanks.

How does a scoundrel, gambler, Sabaac whore and a
Socorran, dropped in the middle of a
Forgotten spot in the Outer Rim by providence
Impoverished, in squalor
Grow up to be a General and Lothaller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

susan posted:

How does a scoundrel, gambler, Sabaac whore and a