Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've kind of made my peace that I've wasted $15 with nothing to show for it, and I never will. But I've wasted more money on other things on my Steam library, so I can't get too mad.

I'm just a bit worried for other games that have a shitload of potential, like No Man's Sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

BillmasterCozb posted:

how can they be this awful at everything they do

they're worse than almost as bad as nicalis

What makes nicalis so bad though? Other than Castle in the darkness (for me at least), what makes them just as awful as a three year almost plus early access product that was partially funded through kickstarter?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Phobophilia posted:

I've kind of made my peace that I've wasted $15 with nothing to show for it, and I never will. But I've wasted more money on other things on my Steam library, so I can't get too mad.

I'm just a bit worried for other games that have a shitload of potential, like No Man's Sky.

The big difference between this and NMS is that when you get to play NMS it will be done and won't string you along for 3 years.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fargin Icehole posted:

What makes nicalis so bad though? Other than Castle in the darkness (for me at least), what makes them just as awful as a three year almost plus early access product that was partially funded through kickstarter?

iirc they're a publisher that gives devs quite unfair contracts. I think the go-to is they hosed Pixel kinda hard when they offered to do Cave Story.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fargin Icehole posted:

Well, when Binding of Isaac: Rebirth happened, I didn't really have much problems with, it was really good. Then Afterbirth happens. First, it felt like they hadn't done a play test of any of it, any runs with certain rooms to see if they're literally unwinnable, half of the items were straight up not put into the item pools for about a week, Tyrone is the smuggest rear end in a top hat (See: We're not actual developers -- We just make games), and then there's the needless nerfs (See: Azazel was temporarily poo poo because Nicalis thought he should not be a good character, and nerfing the Stopwatch which you have to put 999 pennies into the donation machine to unlock*), but the biggest problem I have with them is that they responded to most, if not all of the criticism and ire with "lol ok" instead of "We're working on fixing this" (see: https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/ 661924560397176832 gently caress off embed)

They're just dicks, and incompetent dicks, at that, but they've fixed most of Afterbirth's problems, which some developers would just leave the game as it is, with all the poo poo festering about in the game (example: starbound)..I just hope that Nicalis will improve themselves before pursuing a new game.

edit: That's just for Binding of Isaac, I'm sure there's more stupid bullshit they've done like what Dragon above me said

*Also, the stopwatch isn't ever guaranteed, first, it is in the Shop item pool, second, is a "special item" (IIRC), which means seeing it is like if you found the holy grail, which is ALSO a special item in the game, except you pay 15 butt pennies for the stopwatch :suicide:

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 24, 2016

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

was phone posting before so re-reading tiy's explination goddamn its just so loving robotic

quote:

Our procedural monsters from previous patches had a large variety of projectile attacks, with no damage on touch. However, the only way to ensure most of those projectiles were threatening was to have them aim directly at and travel directly to the player. Otherwise the vast majority of them would end up hitting the terrain.
Despite somewhat different speeds, animations, damage and so on. The gameplay here was very limited. When projectiles move almost directly to you every projectile can be avoided by waiting for a windup animation to play and moving directly out of the line of fire.
He realizes that just aiming the projectile at the player makes them easy to dodge , but cant seem to connect the dots as to why you wouldn't have every projectile just aim directly at the player. or to put it simply(edit: 4:57, apparently youtube timestamp links dont work very well.)

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

BillmasterCozb posted:

Well, when Binding of Isaac: Rebirth happened, I didn't really have much problems with, it was really good. Then Afterbirth happens. First, it felt like they hadn't done a play test of any of it, any runs with certain rooms to see if they're literally unwinnable, half of the items were straight up not put into the item pools for about a week, Tyrone is the smuggest rear end in a top hat (See: We're not actual developers -- We just make games), and then there's the needless nerfs (See: Azazel was temporarily poo poo because Nicalis thought he should not be a good character, and nerfing the Stopwatch which you have to put 999 pennies into the donation machine to unlock*), but the biggest problem I have with them is that they responded to most, if not all of the criticism and ire with "lol ok" instead of "We're working on fixing this" (see: https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/ 661924560397176832 gently caress off embed)

They're just dicks, and incompetent dicks, at that, but they've fixed most of Afterbirth's problems, which some developers would just leave the game as it is, with all the poo poo festering about in the game (example: starbound)..I just hope that Nicalis will improve themselves before pursuing a new game.

edit: That's just for Binding of Isaac, I'm sure there's more stupid bullshit they've done like what Dragon above me said

*Also, the stopwatch isn't ever guaranteed, first, it is in the Shop item pool, second, is a "special item" (IIRC), which means seeing it is like if you found the holy grail, which is ALSO a special item in the game, except you pay 15 butt pennies for the stopwatch :suicide:

Utterly monstrous. How horrible.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

But enough about your posting

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

savage

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Babe Magnet posted:

But enough about your posting

:vince:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tengames posted:

was phone posting before so re-reading tiy's explination goddamn its just so loving robotic

He realizes that just aiming the projectile at the player makes them easy to dodge , but cant seem to connect the dots as to why you wouldn't have every projectile just aim directly at the player. or to put it simply(edit: 4:57, apparently youtube timestamp links dont work very well.)
Maybe if dude had played a game with more of an emphasis on shooting before, he'd understand how to make more involved projectile patterns which can be tricky to dodge, but instead he (poorly)takes inspiration from castlevania for the space legos game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tengames posted:

The thing is, it works in the right context. Most Gradius-alikes that aren't bullet hells have enemies who shoot at your current position rather than trying to be predictive about it, but while it's easy to dodge each one individually, they do it in such a volume that you need to consider the best timing to get through the "net." Alternatively, it can be designed to encourage preventive offense: high volume of enemies with delayed attacks that you're meant to thin out before they can trap you. Sometimes it isn't even that complex, it's just an exercise in dodging a series of simple-AI projectiles that restrict your movement options.

Of course, this breaks down in Starbound, where enemies can shoot at you from far off screen and have such a high repeat rate that there either aren't any safe zones, or there's no chance to shoot back.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
doom has easy to avoid projectiles and its like the best game in the world lol

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
just sayin' if you wanna steal good ideas, tyi

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hitscan 'projectiles' are basically trash in single player fps games, and anything approaching them in a 2d game is pure lol.

Slow moving projectiles (including ones that can be shot!), are good. As are slow moving bombs that explode into area damage, or more projectiles. Slow shotgun patterns. And so on and so forth.

Or I guess you could do rapid firing quick moving projectiles and touch damage. That sounds fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

The White Dragon posted:

The thing is, it works in the right context. Most Gradius-alikes that aren't bullet hells have enemies who shoot at your current position rather than trying to be predictive about it, but while it's easy to dodge each one individually, they do it in such a volume that you need to consider the best timing to get through the "net." Alternatively, it can be designed to encourage preventive offense: high volume of enemies with delayed attacks that you're meant to thin out before they can trap you. Sometimes it isn't even that complex, it's just an exercise in dodging a series of simple-AI projectiles that restrict your movement options.

Of course, this breaks down in Starbound, where enemies can shoot at you from far off screen and have such a high repeat rate that there either aren't any safe zones, or there's no chance to shoot back.
Many shmups do also have bullet patterns that are not aimed mixed in with the ones that are, though. I would go as far as to say most do.

Also, in the context of a 2d game, I think it makes sense to typically split attacks into 3 broad types: attacks that make you dodge vertically, attacks that make you dodge horizontally, and attacks that make you dodge both vertically and horizontally. As a basic example, Woodman in Megaman 2 drops leaves from the ceiling, which you must move left and right to avoid(horizontal dodging), and throws his leaf shield at you which you must jump over(vertical dodging).
But in Starbound, every projectile is nearly always dodged vertically(by jumping over them), since enemies almost always approached you horizontally and shoot aimed shots from them to you(so horizontal shots). There could be more in the way of "enemies throwing grenades that arc up, then fall down sharply and explode with an AoE" to demand vertical motion from the player with more complexity than "back away from enemy/move towards enemy".

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 24, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

In the discussion of hitscan vs projectile, I just realized that the reason I was having such a huge problem getting back into Jedi Outcast after all these years is because I wasn't properly leading my shots with whatever blaster I was using :psyduck:

Almost every other fps I've played leaves the projectiles to heavy artillery, and relies on hitscan for everything else.

Realizing this, I might be better at it if I try again, but... but Nar Shadda... :argh:

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Re: food stacking, just :laffo:

I wonder when Tiy is going to realize the only people who still care about his game are children, literal and figurative, who are the only people out there willing to put up with all this "immersive" bullshit.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

In the discussion of hitscan vs projectile, I just realized that the reason I was having such a huge problem getting back into Jedi Outcast after all these years is because I wasn't properly leading my shots with whatever blaster I was using :psyduck:
Haha you're one of those stormtroopers

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

LordZoric posted:

I wonder when Tiy is going to realize the only people who still care about his game are children, literal and figurative, who are the only people out there willing to put up with all this "immersive" bullshit.

they've already gotten paid for the game so he can play game dev for whatever x years he said he could continue development for :shrug:

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

LordZoric posted:

lol if you think Tiy hasn't realized what his customer base is yet. They market to children strongly.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
When running you should have a chance to trip and maybe you could break your ankle and have to craft crutches and it could take six weeks to heal and sometimes there are complications and you die.

Dwarf Fortress is cool so they should put a little grognard dwarf realism in to Starbound. Thanks for reading ;)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You're welcome!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
some idiots i know say starbound is not a bad game. which post should i link them to, or just the whole thread

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

BillmasterCozb posted:

some idiots i know say starbound is not a bad game. which post should i link them to, or just the whole thread

Any which one that involves him getting grimcreepd

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

BillmasterCozb posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697749&pagenumber=120&perpage=40#post456614391
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697749&pagenumber=120&perpage=40#post456615988

All of the previous page, really

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 24, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i just realized that stardew valley comes out in a couple days

can you be gay in it, and if not, why not

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Johnny Joestar posted:

Pretty sure you can be as gay as you please.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Johnny Joestar posted:

Everyone (romancable) is bisexual and there is a setting of some sort to decide whether you're cool with dudes/chicks flirting with you.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ahundredbux posted:

they've already gotten paid for the game so he can play game dev for whatever x years he said he could continue development for :shrug:
and by then he'll have published enough indie games to be a publisher or he'll get hired based on his years of experience working on the 2013 top 100 best game "Starbound"

Probably coast on doing spritework for terraria or whatever for an entire career

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

and by then he'll have published enough indie games to be a publisher or he'll get hired based on his years of experience working on the 2013 top 100 best game "Starbound"

Probably coast on doing spritework for terraria or whatever for an entire career

poo poo, that sounds pretty great actually. Where can I sign up for that?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gamerofthegame posted:

Everyone (romancable) is bisexual and there is a setting of some sort to decide whether you're cool with dudes/chicks flirting with you.

i'm sold

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/metadept/status/702563950341312515

only took like, what, three almost four years

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao when are they going to just release a stable 'final' version so actually competent people can make the game better through mods

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

lmao when are they going to just release a stable 'final' version so actually competent people can make the game better through mods

how long does it take to permanently remove sand surfing functionality?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

fun fact: i genuinely never gave a poo poo about sand surfing and the removal of it really had no effect on me. why it's the posterchild for this shambling heap of bad ideas is beyond me

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
game never had any other good things hhehehehehe

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

fun fact: i genuinely never gave a poo poo about sand surfing and the removal of it really had no effect on me. why it's the posterchild for this shambling heap of bad ideas is beyond me

probably because it was one of the most visible features and really nobody in this thread could actually tell you a single drat thing they added since December 2013 to begin with

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Party Plane Jones posted:

probably because it was one of the most visible features and really nobody in this thread could actually tell you a single drat thing they added since December 2013 to begin with

Q-Quests!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
i want to mod in rrussom as a playable toilet

• Locked thread