Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Quality is a solid third military pick for me. After the first 50 years, all my infantry is mercs, so manpower isn't something I really care a great deal about, making quantity much less attractive(unless I'm colonizing) and once you have Offensive and Defensive, the extra +AT and Discipline from Quality act as a great force multiplier. There is no scenario where I would pick Quality before Offensive and Defensive though.

And Naval is worthless. Maritime is straight up better as naval combat is a pure numbers game and maneuver is king for admirals.. Add that it has more economic bonuses along with the Confirm Thassalocracy decision and picking up Naval is just something I will never do, no matter how focused I am on ruling the seas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

axeil posted:

quality is so bad there's almost no situation in which you want to take it though:

It's all in the Policies. +2.5% Discipline/10% Morale from Religion/Quality, +5% Discipline from Economic/Quality and +20% Infantry Combat from Innovative/Quality if you choose go that route. You get a +1 Land Fire from Economics/Quality and +10% Morale Recovery Speed from Admin/Quality too.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Eej posted:

It's all in the Policies. +2.5% Discipline/10% Morale from Religion/Quality, +5% Discipline from Economic/Quality and +20% Infantry Combat from Innovative/Quality if you choose go that route. You get a +1 Land Fire from Economics/Quality and +10% Morale Recovery Speed from Admin/Quality too.

It'd be nice if they displayed the policies better. I always forget they exist

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eej posted:

+1 Fire is from Expansion.

But yeah I went with it in my Ethiopia game because of the Policies - I had Religious and Economic so +10% Morale and 7.5% Discipline on top of its other bonuses was better than I could hope for out of anything else.

Lately I have been doing 75%+ Merc infantry so Quantity is not as appealing, especially since Admin is such a good set and it makes Mercs more affordable, so I have to agree that in general Quality is a solid third Military idea set pick.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Contingency Plan posted:

Hey guys, St. Patrick's Day is coming up in less than a month so I'd like to do Luck of the Irish before then. Any tips how to do this in 1.15? Many of the guides on the web and YouTube are tailored for earlier versions of EU4. Is it better to conquer the Irish minors and attack England while they're distracted with France or colonize, move your capital to North America and attack after you've built up your strength?

Quoting this just cause it got the poo poo spot at the bottom of the last page and I want to see this dude get some advice. I find the idea of a dude completing cheebs in honor of St. Patrick's day really amusing. :3:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
You know what I've always wanted to see? A succession LP of either this game or Crusader Kings 2 leading into this game. Where each time a leader dies, a new goon takes over.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sperglord Firecock posted:

You know what I've always wanted to see? A succession LP of either this game or Crusader Kings 2 leading into this game. Where each time a leader dies, a new goon takes over.

makes one!! :spooky:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gonna get a bonus soon. Is Cossacks worth the buying price, or should I wait for the patch to drop and possibly a sale before diving back in?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Its worth it now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Contingency Plan posted:

Hey guys, St. Patrick's Day is coming up in less than a month so I'd like to do Luck of the Irish before then. Any tips how to do this in 1.15? Many of the guides on the web and YouTube are tailored for earlier versions of EU4. Is it better to conquer the Irish minors and attack England while they're distracted with France or colonize, move your capital to North America and attack after you've built up your strength?

I did this before 1.15 so my tips might not be up to date. You'll have to restart the game multiple times until you get the right setup. My personal start was as Munster, making sure Connacht is allied with Scotland and allying Tyrone. Take the mission to annex Connacht. Do the usual build up to force limit + minimum upkeep thing while you bide your time. Sell your Heavy Ships to whoever will buy them cause they'll do nothing for you but slow you down.

Scotland usually gets dragged into an independence war against Denmark of some sort (I think on the side of Sweden or Norway? it's been a while). Make sure you keep an eye on them. Once that happens, scout their coast with your leftover ships and make sure that the Scottish troops have all boarded and sent off to Scandinavia. Once that happens, declare war on Connacht. In 1.15 I don't think you'll have enough Favour to call in Tyrone so at least get Military Access. Basically you want to quickly capture your Irish neighbor then occupy all of Scotland (you'll need Mercs because the forts are too strong for your starting force limit) while the Scottish troops are fighting some dumb war in Scandinavia. Declaring War this way conveniently bypasses France's guarantee of Scotland.

Anyway, grab as much land as you can from Scotland (watch for AE), aiming for provinces that aren't in easy reach of the English. Start looking for allies to cover your rear end. France or Castille are a good option if they've rivalled England. Denmark or Sweden (whoever is bigger) is also a pretty good option but don't expect them to help much if you get invaded, they're for deterrence only.

Gobble up what you can from Scotland or let England declare and deal with fighting France (if they're still guaranteed). In any case, you have to be extremely patient and gotta find the perfect time to hit England. If things seem very stable and stalemated you can try your hand at colonizing. You can reach the New World fairly early on if you take Iceland from Norway.

When you do start punching holes out of England you gotta be careful. Any nations you release without annexing have a good chance of allying with England and making life harder for you from the increased overall forcelimit your enemies will have. If you go ahead anyway, be careful of releasing Cornwall because France can and will invade it and then suddenly you'll have to fight France to finish your achievement, a thing no one likes doing for any achievement ever. Taking the provinces along the eastern seaboard of England will grant you a lot more control over the North Sea trade node which will help greatly.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Yashichi posted:

First Come First Served is probably the most boring achievement in the game and I'm glad I managed it during the custom nation idea bug

I had fun with it at first, but I started right next to the Mexican thunderdome, skipping the initial phase of sitting around doing nothing. It was decently fun until I had kicked everyone off the continent and secured it. At that point it was just micromanaging 12 colonies at a time until I finally had it. It was definitely less boring than the English "pass bills" and "develop England" achievements.

There was a Burgundian succession LP a while ago. It was a pretty fun time, especially when the RNW got hosed up by someone getting the save while not owning the RNW DLC. Fister Roboto had a great reign where he showed everyone how to stomp France into the dirt, and it really helped me learn the importance of scorched earth.

Another such LP is definitely something I've thought about starting up but I'd want another start as interesting as Burgundy. With a new map coming it's probably best to wait until Mare Nostrum has launched and been patched.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The English "Pass Bills" achievement has to be the worst achievement. 'Do this trivial thing that you will forget to do because our UI will not warn you about this routine event.'

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

TTBF posted:

Another such LP is definitely something I've thought about starting up but I'd want another start as interesting as Burgundy. With a new map coming it's probably best to wait until Mare Nostrum has launched and been patched.

Tirol.

Instead of gently caress France, gently caress Austria!

Plus, it's viable, because it starts with a Gold province. And a Gold province can help ease you through a looooot of trouble.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Wasn't this kind of close to happening in real life too?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Bavaria is also a fun gently caress Austria choice.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Alikchi posted:

Bavaria is also a fun gently caress Austria choice.

Yeah, and unlike Tirol, isn't hampered by a bunch of terrible ideas. Huh. Well.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If I want to really gently caress with Austria I just play as some Italian country, usually ally them early on and then backstab the gently caress out of them after I'm beefy because they always end up slicing off a chunk of Venice and that's mine gently caress you :mad:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Cynic Jester posted:

Quality is a solid third military pick for me. After the first 50 years, all my infantry is mercs, so manpower isn't something I really care a great deal about, making quantity much less attractive(unless I'm colonizing) and once you have Offensive and Defensive, the extra +AT and Discipline from Quality act as a great force multiplier. There is no scenario where I would pick Quality before Offensive and Defensive though.

And Naval is worthless. Maritime is straight up better as naval combat is a pure numbers game and maneuver is king for admirals.. Add that it has more economic bonuses along with the Confirm Thassalocracy decision and picking up Naval is just something I will never do, no matter how focused I am on ruling the seas.

I don't play MP (outside of co-op with friends) but I always assumed the idea was still in the game for that. In an AI game Naval is useless, even the described problem with the Ottomans is better solved with a real military idea or maritime.
Maybe the next expansion will change this, but I really doubt it. Wars are decided by land battles and sieges.

Doesn't Paradox have stats on Idea picks? I wonder how this looks for Naval.

Fake edit: I secretly think Paradox change shipyards and docks because they couldn't teach the AI how to not suck and build useless shipyards in every coastal province.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I feel people poo poo talking Naval never even picked it.

Bold Robot posted:

Quoting this just cause it got the poo poo spot at the bottom of the last page and I want to see this dude get some advice. I find the idea of a dude completing cheebs in honor of St. Patrick's day really amusing. :3:

Unfortunately, Mare Nostrum comes with huge expansions to Ireland, so playing it without it would feel like a huge waste afterwards.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I've said it before, but in MP Naval absolutely has a niche. It only works in certain contexts, but yes, being able to annihilate human fleets at will is actually useful, especially if you have any colonial game whatsoever. If two players are having a brawl over Asian trade the superior navy wins, simple as that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

YF-23 posted:

Unfortunately, Mare Nostrum comes with huge expansions to Ireland, so playing it without it would feel like a huge waste afterwards.

Who cares, you can do it in old Ireland and do it in new Ireland, the only thing that matters is wiping the English off the map!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

YF-23 posted:

The dude specifically said he wanted to so it before St. Patrick's Day, which is in three weeks, so I don't think this is really an issue for him.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
We need to figure this poo poo out. What is the best way for this guy to celebrate St. Patrick's Day through a grand strategy game? Stats goons?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Just got Ivory as the trade good for Eiriksfjord, Greenland. Those are some loving cold elephants.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
They're called Mammoths.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Gort posted:

Just got Ivory as the trade good for Eiriksfjord, Greenland. Those are some loving cold elephants.

No, you've found a massive herd of frozen mastadons.

Edit: now I kinda want a random province in Africa to get an "Elephant Graveyard" ivory goods produced bonus

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Narwhals, maybe? Walruses?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wait, 1.16 is coming with a new DLC? Aw man, maybe I should hold off and get Cossacks + that once the dust settles then...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait, 1.16 is coming with a new DLC? Aw man, maybe I should hold off and get Cossacks + that once the dust settles then...

The release strategy seems to be one major patch with a DLC, followed by a major patch that rebalances features and adds small things. So you have even numbered patches like 1.12 and 1.14 coming out with DLCs, followed by odd numbered patches like 1.13 and 1.15 which come in-between DLC releases.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

YF-23 posted:

The release strategy seems to be one major patch with a DLC, followed by a major patch that rebalances features and adds small things. So you have even numbered patches like 1.12 and 1.14 coming out with DLCs, followed by odd numbered patches like 1.13 and 1.15 which come in-between DLC releases.

Yeah, it's been a while so I was way out of the loop. Last thing I remember was a patch introducing a mercenary limit so only a percentage of your total army could be mercs. Never did finish my Tunisian Africa run either.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Autonomous Monster posted:

Narwhals, maybe? Walruses?
Walrus ivory was a thing in Europe during parts of the middle ages.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

toasterwarrior posted:

If you're willing to wait then it's probably worth it, the old DLC will almost certainly all go on sale then too.

On the other hand, the big DLC patches fairly reliably break the game a whole bunch, whereas the game is mostly fairly stable right now.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

There was glorious Srbja, but i don't think it's in the lp archive and probably most image links are broken.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

On the other hand, the big DLC patches fairly reliably break the game a whole bunch, whereas the game is mostly fairly stable right now.

The really nice thing about Paradox's trend over the last few years is that the big DLCs don't actually break the game, in that they cause it to crash. But yeah, balance tends to fly out the window, Hordes in 1.14 being the most extreme example. That custom nation bug was pretty nuts too, but they hotfixed that inside of like two days.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

The really nice thing about Paradox's trend over the last few years is that the big DLCs don't actually break the game, in that they cause it to crash. But yeah, balance tends to fly out the window, Hordes in 1.14 being the most extreme example. That custom nation bug was pretty nuts too, but they hotfixed that inside of like two days.

I'm pretty sure that if you did a graph of instability at DLC release over time, Paradox's graph would be asymptotically approaching zero. New releases generally have no game-breaking bugs, although sometimes they have exploits.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Is there any point to Parliament at all in a big country? As far as I can tell, the only way to get people to vote yes is to bribe them, and none of the gains are worth the huge costs to bribe them. Should I just assign seats to every province not given to an estate, and then just ignore Parliament entirely?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Dibujante posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you did a graph of instability at DLC release over time, Paradox's graph would be asymptotically approaching zero. New releases generally have no game-breaking bugs, although sometimes they have exploits.

The most recent DLC had that bug where elements of the UI would begin to disappear, but it only manifested after very long periods of uptime caused by how stable the game was :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

tractor fanatic posted:

Is there any point to Parliament at all in a big country? As far as I can tell, the only way to get people to vote yes is to bribe them, and none of the gains are worth the huge costs to bribe them. Should I just assign seats to every province not given to an estate, and then just ignore Parliament entirely?
This was Pitt's advice to me when I was annoyed at the government types available to Monarchies after 1700.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Although when I said that, I had forgotten that the minimum number of seats required is now capped at 10, so it's the number of bribes you have to hand out is kept reasonable.

But you can still hand out more seats if you want to, so giving seats to everyone and eating the prestige penalty should still work.

• Locked thread