Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

jivjov posted:

What's the copyright situation on DBZ Abridged, anyway? I know they have a disclaimer...but a disclaimer is not a magic get-out-of-infringement-free card. Parody is (rightfully) protected under Fair Use laws...but does that still get to apply when they're not just parodying material but straight up lifting footage wholesale?

Judging from their Episode Breakdown they are changing a fair amount of the footage, voices and music in pursuit of their Parody.

Essentially Funi/Toei isn't going to yell at them because DBZA from all reports is doing more good for them than harm. They aren't making any money off of the episodes themselves, and only make money from patreon, and videos based on the parodies of characters. And holy poo poo the fan backlash wouldn't be worth it.

Also the poo poo they are doing now is like 20+ years old.

If they were abridging Super right now then it may be a different story. But the original series is old poo poo for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

What's the copyright situation on DBZ Abridged, anyway? I know they have a disclaimer...but a disclaimer is not a magic get-out-of-infringement-free card. Parody is (rightfully) protected under Fair Use laws...but does that still get to apply when they're not just parodying material but straight up lifting footage wholesale?

I also wonder if the fact that they are now collecting money, via, Patreon, to pay themselves to produce it changes anything. It's not really a "non-profit" parody video series any more. I noticed they dropped that part from the disclaimer at the beginning on episode 44.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Key thing people need to remember is that YouTube is a private corporation, and it's their rules that everybody needs to play by, not the actual laws of whatever country you're uploading videos from.

If, at some point, you're able to actually get into a courtroom to fight against a copyright takedown, THEN, and only then, will the laws on fair use matter.

Until that point, you're going to be judged under YouTube's own internal rulebook, which, guess what?!?!, was mostly written to appease big corporations with lots of money and lots of lawyers so that they wouldn't use all of their money and lawyers to crush YouTube under their feet. And is mostly run by machines. And is incredibly, laughably easy to abuse.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Key thing people need to remember is that YouTube is a private corporation, and it's their rules that everybody needs to play by, not the actual laws of whatever country you're uploading videos from.

If, at some point, you're able to actually get into a courtroom to fight against a copyright takedown, THEN, and only then, will the laws on fair use matter.

Until that point, you're going to be judged under YouTube's own internal rulebook, which, guess what?!?!, was mostly written to appease big corporations with lots of money and lots of lawyers so that they wouldn't use all of their money and lawyers to crush YouTube under their feet. And is mostly run by machines. And is incredibly, laughably easy to abuse.

They've already had that fight with youtube

Also their Patreon is to parody stuff like FF7 and for them to create a studio. They make it quite clear their Patreon won't affect DBZA at all. How much you believe that is up for debate and they'd probably lose in court if it Toei/Funi wanted to do it, but they probably have some agreement with Funi espeicially considering one of them was voicing characters in the Games and Resurrection F.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 24, 2016

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
"Sorry you won your case in a court of law, but our machines still took you down because they're dumb. No hard feelings, right?"

*I don't actually remember if the case was won in a court of law or if they and youtube came to an understanding, but it kind of amounts to the same thing when pointing out how trash the automated feature is.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 24, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aurora posted:

People already just use dailymotion for stuff that would get hit by copyright takedowns, it's not like youtube's going to change its policies form some "mass walkout of content providers" or whatever

Even Dailymotion has been more militant with copyright infringing in the past year or so.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Dexo posted:

How much you believe that is up for debate and they'd probably lose in court if it Toei/Funi wanted to do it, but they probably have some agreement with Funi espeicially considering one of them was voicing characters in the Games and Resurrection F.
I know about Xenoverse, but who was being voiced by who in Resurrection F?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Kaiser was in Resurrection F being Additional voices.

edit: Oh yeah that one.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

mmkay posted:

I know about Xenoverse, but who was being voiced by who in Resurrection F?

Kaiser voiced one of Freeza's henchmen, the one that apologized for getting his rear end kicked by the Gohan & co

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Chris Sabat's also pretty open about being pals with the TFS crew, so yeah they don't seem concerned about Funimation going go after them any time soon.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Augus posted:

Chris Sabat's also pretty open about being pals with the TFS crew, so yeah Funimation probably isn't gonna go after them any time soon.

strangely enough, sean schemmel doesn't like dbz abridged at all, or at the very least he refuses to comment on them, so I guess opinion's can vary.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Kaiser's twitter said it wasn't Funimation who took them down. So yeah basically Youtube's automated system being a piece of trash.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Toei.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Monaghan posted:

strangely enough, sean schemmel doesn't like dbz abridged at all, or at the very least he refuses to comment on them, so I guess opinion's can vary.

IIRC they mentioned in one of their videos that either him or Sonny (the guy who does Krillin) perceives the Abridged series as an insult to their performance.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Twiddy posted:

"Sorry you won your case in a court of law, but our machines still took you down because they're dumb. No hard feelings, right?"

*I don't actually remember if the case was won in a court of law or if they and youtube came to an understanding, but it kind of amounts to the same thing when pointing out how trash the automated feature is.

I don't know that this applies to Team Four Star's situation, but honestly considering that I'm pretty sure the Super Hexagon guy or some semi-prominent Indie game dev got a copyright strike on a video he made on his own drat game with his own drat music, we've honestly seen worse.

visceril posted:

IIRC they mentioned in one of their videos that either him or Sonny (the guy who does Krillin) perceives the Abridged series as an insult to their performance.

Which honestly seems really weird to me, since I don't know how you watch the show for half an hour without realizing just how much these guys loving adore DBZ.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
To be fair, if anyone has solid grounds to have an issue with TFS, it's Krillin.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

visceril posted:

Well, to be fair, Krillin/Goku both get the poo poo end of the stick in comparison to their original performances. They are both caricatures to an extreme of their original design. On the other hand, Vegeta is almost the pinnacle of what he stood for in the original series.

I mean poo poo, if I voiced a character and brought him to life for a generation, and then one of the major things that character became known for in abridged was loving "Muffin Button", I don't know if I would appreciate it that much either.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

New Leaf posted:

To be fair, if anyone has solid grounds to have an issue with TFS, it's Krillin.

Who voices Yamcha

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Who voices Yamcha

Chris Sabat

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Red Metal posted:

Chris Sabat

Sean and Sonny have NOTHING to complain about.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Where's the source for this? I've never heard Sonny say anything bad about DBZA, thought Sean didn't talk about it for legal reasons.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I was under the impression that Sean was a fan actually.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah the only thing I heard was Sonny HATED Dragonball Evolution.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
Justin Cook doesn't like it either. He said something about it at new York comic con

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Where's the source for this? I've never heard Sonny say anything bad about DBZA, thought Sean didn't talk about it for legal reasons.

My recollections of their comments during a DBcember playthrough. This is personal stuff not public Twitter beef or anything

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
It's probably not super uncommon for people to watch the first couple episodes and decides it sucks, it got way better as time went on.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've been two two cons that had Sean as a guest and each time a person asked him what he thought about dbz abridged and he seemed annoyed at the question. I don't blame him as I think that's an incredibly disrespectful question and all around dick move.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Monaghan posted:

I've been two two cons that had Sean as a guest and each time a person asked him what he thought about dbz abridged and he seemed annoyed at the question. I don't blame him as I think that's an incredibly disrespectful question and all around dick move.

Also on the most basic level he probably gets bugged about it all the time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Monaghan posted:

How is it disrespectful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really don't get the disrespectful thing. What's disrespectful about it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not really disrespectfully intended but I can see how "Tell me what you think about a well loved thing in the DBZ fandom that does not involve you at all" would be annoying to him.

While all abridged series are born of love for the source, it's not a huge stretch for those who don't know better to see them as a "the original sucks, here's a better version" thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Because he is the real Krillin and doesn't want you giving the pretender any legitimacy.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't get the disrespectful thing. What's disrespectful about it?

Maybe disrespectful is the wrong word, but I do feel that if an actor goes to a con, talks about a show he works on and opens the floor to ask him questions about said show or stuff he worked on, asking him about something he's had no involvement with and arguably, makes fun of the thing he worked on, is sort of a dickish thing to do.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Monaghan posted:

Maybe disrespectful is the wrong word, but I do feel that if an actor goes to a con, talks about a show he works on and opens the floor to ask him questions about said show or stuff he worked on, asking him about something he's had no involvement with and arguably, makes fun of the thing he worked on, is sort of a dickish thing to do.

If nothing else, it is rather perplexing.

"Hey, what do you think of Dragonball Z Abridged?" a random fans calls out.

"What?" the actor replies.

"Ya know, the youtube series!"

"I, what? I worked on Dragonball Z. I can talk about that. I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you want to know some behinds the scene stuff on DBZ or something like that, I can do that."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They are asking his opinion, by definition it is relevant to him. This conversation is perplexing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I guess it may just be a difference in experiences then. A lot of interviews I've seen with actors and such have them asked about their opinions about related things. (Comic actors get asked about things in the comics all the time.) I guess a fan production is a little different but I know voice actors get asked about fan stuff all the time, including showing up in fanworks and such, so to me that just feels like the kinda question I'd expect someone to get asked.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Oh hey, the channel's back.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are asking his opinion, by definition it is relevant to him. This conversation is perplexing.

That's not really true.

If I started asking you about agriculture in England circa 1323, it would not become a relevant topic to you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That's not really true.

If I started asking you about agriculture in England circa 1323, it would not become a relevant topic to you.

Yes it would because you asked my opinion. I would tell you I dunno but I wouldn't be upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think it's more that he's probably been asked the same question a million times.

Also Sean said like 5 years ago that he liked DBZA and hoped they didn't get sued.

• Locked thread