Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

KakerMix posted:

So the 12 year old was armed right? :ohdear:

I hope dad shot her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

autoaim.cfg posted:

Wasn't the Eye of the Needle gate in Jerusalem built in the 16th century, though? I've always leaned towards the theory that "kamilos" (rope) was mistranslated as "kamelos" (camel) somewhere down the line. That would make sense, i.e. a "trying to thread a needle with a rope" metaphor.

Yeah, there was also an unrelated "Eye of the Needle" gate built in the 16th century.But to muddle things, the gate theory can be traced back to the 15th century, and some argue even earlier.

Apparently there are a bunch of ancient Jewish aphorisms which include the phrase "put an elephant through a needle" for "idiotically attempt the impossible" so its a bit strange but not far-fetched at all, in my opinion, that over the years the metaphor became slightly less hyperbolic.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

crowoutofcontext posted:

Yeah, there was also an unrelated "Eye of the Needle" gate built in the 16th century.But to muddle things, the gate theory can be traced back to the 15th century, and some argue even earlier.

Apparently there are a bunch of ancient Jewish aphorisms which include the phrase "put an elephant through a needle" for "idiotically attempt the impossible" so its a bit strange but not far-fetched at all, in my opinion, that over the years the metaphor became slightly less hyperbolic.

So this is what happens when a thread runs dry?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

:allears:

:airquote: Responsible :airquote: gun owners in action.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Calling all Patriots, we'll be holding a bake sale to raise money for the girl's family this weekend.

*3 Days Later*

Calling all Patriots, we'll be holding a fundraiser for the surviving families of those who organized the bake sale. Please reach out to your zone general for more info.

Edit: after Oregon and this tweet this is my view of militias now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E33Z0RPWuHs

cumshitter has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Feb 23, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Geoj posted:

:allears:

:airquote: Responsible :airquote: gun owners in action.

Seriously. The first thing they teach you in the military, before you even leave the armory the first time, is how to clear the rifle to make certain it is empty. But, that would require them to actually join the military, not just lie about it to impress their fellow idiot patriots on facebook.

Almost every gun range in america has a mandatory introductory class on gun safety where you are required to prove that you can successfully clear whatever weapon you bring or rent (at least the ones I went to in PA). But I'm sure every one of them scoffed and flipped the range attendant the bird because I'M A PATRIOT :fsmug:

Plus, modern weapons usually have at least one set of safeties to make certain you can't accidentally discharge it. Like I would almost guarantee one of these idiots pulled the trigger in order to "show clear".

Hope they signed those liability releases :allears:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Not to get into THAT debate but it's completely absurd there's less rules for proving proficiency to own a gun than driving a car

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Alan Smithee posted:

Not to get into THAT debate but it's completely absurd there's less rules for proving proficiency to own a gun than driving a car

well you see 250 years ago THE WISEST PEOPLE OF ALL TIME got together and said we should all have as many guns as we want forever without any restrictions or training

if you don't believe in the perfect foresight and infallibility of a bunch of dudes in wigs whipping their slaves and making GBS threads in chamber pots to dictate how a nation should work in tyool 2016, move to soviet russia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LORVfnFtcH0

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
thats a good point. if the founding fathers didnt want horse licenses then why do you need a license to drive a horseless carriage? not saying im a constitutional scholar or nothing but it seems like a carriage without the horses would require even less laws, but thats what you get when you leave it up to the clowns in washington.

this is clearly unconstitutional. someone should occupy a dmv to protest this.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
The 2nd amendment says the right to bear arms, not to bear rifles and pistols. Why aren't we allowed to just buy and sell artillery?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The 2nd amendment says the right to bear arms, not to bear rifles and pistols. Why aren't we allowed to just buy and sell artillery?

I know you're kidding but this is literally their argument. They want to buy themselves some tanks to take to the range. Back in the 80's when they banned machine guns you saw all the same arguments we're running into now except about how it's every american's god-given right to own a loving chain gun or something.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I know you're kidding but this is literally their argument. They want to buy themselves some tanks to take to the range. Back in the 80's when they banned machine guns you saw all the same arguments we're running into now except about how it's every american's god-given right to own a loving chain gun or something.

I asked a libertarian if he thinks "arms" meant "any and all arms, up to and including nuclear weapons", trying to make the point that a line needs to be drawn somewhere.

He responded with a wall of text about he should have nukes and it's slave masters like me oppressing his right to have a nuclear arsenal.

The crux of his argument was there's no limit written into the language.

I pointed out the constitution also doesn't have a limit on the taxes that can be levied written into the language.

The Anime Liker has issued a correction as of 17:37 on Feb 23, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I asked a libertarian if he thinks "arms" meant "any and all arms, up to and including nuclear weapons", trying to make the point that a line needs to be drawn somewhere.

He responded with a wall of text about he should have nukes and it's slave masters like me oppressing his right to have a nuclear arsenal.

I pointed out the constitution also doesn't have a limit on the taxes that can be levied written into the language.

"I just want to refine some weapons-grade uranium and be a responsible adult responsibly owning a reasonable 50kt warhead for self-defense purposes only but every time I try MEN WITH GUNS come and take my god-given right to these centrifuges away!" - Iran

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's tough being Iran. And Steve from facebook.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What makes you think it's illegal to buy and sell artillery? I found four artillery pieces for sale right now on Gunbroker ranging from a 37mm anti-tank gun up to an 81mm mortar. Those are all class 3 NFA weapons. If you are okay with something archaic, the rules for owning and manufacturing black powder cannons are very loose.

and no, machine guns were not banned in the 80s. In 1986 someone slipped in an amendment banning the creation of more civilian machine guns, so supply is fixed at what it was in 1986. There will never be more machine guns in civilian hands than there were in 1986, nor any weapons made after 1986. So there are still a dozen or so miniguns (the rotating multi-barrel weapon you've used in lots of FPSes) in civilian hands. They go for about 200k.

There's also a guy named Mike Dillon who has a collection of fighter planes and helicopters. Sometimes he mounts machine guns on them, including miniguns, and does strafing runs out on his land in the desert because he can.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

So he's supporting the evil plan of Skull Face, the villain in Metal Gear Solid 5.
The "sell millions of mini mega-gears whose armor plating is secretly enriched uranium so that the entire world is full of very, very small nuclear bombs" evil plan, not the "kill everyone who speak English" plan.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I believe in an absolutist interpretation of the 1st and 2nd amendment. Your right to free speech and to bare arms can NOT be infringed. I have tested the "limits" of these rights on my own. Just last weekend, I went into a crowded theater and shouted, "There's a crazy gun man on the loose!" while shooting my glock into the air. Of course there was no crazy gun man on the loose, but I have the right to say so.

Who did I hurt with such an action? Nobody. But the false agents of the shadow government that has usurped our courts sent their corporate security guards after me anyway. I stood up for my rights and gunned them down, just as any right thinking patriotic American would.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

cumshitter posted:

I believe in an absolutist interpretation of the 1st and 2nd amendment. Your right to free speech and to bare arms can NOT be infringed. I have tested the "limits" of these rights on my own. Just last weekend, I went into a crowded theater and shouted, "There's a crazy gun man on the loose!" while shooting my glock into the air. Of course there was no crazy gun man on the loose, but I have the right to say so.

Who did I hurt with such an action? Nobody. But the false agents of the shadow government that has usurped our courts sent their corporate security guards after me anyway. I stood up for my rights and gunned them down, just as any right thinking patriotic American would.

JUST those two amendments? Are you saying there are some circumstances where it would be okay for the government to force you to lodge troops in your home? Get out, commie.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Gobbeldygook posted:

What makes you think it's illegal to buy and sell artillery? I found four artillery pieces for sale right now on Gunbroker ranging from a 37mm anti-tank gun up to an 81mm mortar. Those are all class 3 NFA weapons.

Yeah but...

quote:

All NFA items must be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Private owners wishing to purchase an NFA item must obtain approval from the ATF, obtain a signature from the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) who is the county sheriff or city or town chief of police (not necessarily permission), pass an extensive background check to include submitting a photograph and fingerprints, fully register the firearm, receive ATF written permission before moving the firearm across state lines, and pay a tax.

...the crazy libertarians being discussed think that the current background check system for small arms is unconstitutional, do you really think they're OK with the above requirements to own a NFA weapon?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
oh hey look I found the thread

so is one of the mods a militia member or something

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

What makes you think it's illegal to buy and sell artillery? I found four artillery pieces for sale right now on Gunbroker ranging from a 37mm anti-tank gun up to an 81mm mortar. Those are all class 3 NFA weapons. If you are okay with something archaic, the rules for owning and manufacturing black powder cannons are very loose.

Yeah I know you can buy old ones, and

Gobbeldygook posted:

and no, machine guns were not banned in the 80s. In 1986 someone slipped in an amendment banning the creation of more civilian machine guns, so supply is fixed at what it was in 1986. There will never be more machine guns in civilian hands than there were in 1986, nor any weapons made after 1986. So there are still a dozen or so miniguns (the rotating multi-barrel weapon you've used in lots of FPSes) in civilian hands. They go for about 200k.

yeah i know it only banned new ones, and yeah i've seen youtube videos of guys burning through tens of thousands of dollars of minigun ammo in a few seconds. i didn't really want to get into detail because it doesn't really change anything i said, there was still stupid outrage when the machine gun law went into effect, and "you can buy an antique artillery piece or an antique machine gun if you're ultra-wealthy" is kinda beside the point.

Gobbeldygook posted:

There's also a guy named Mike Dillon who has a collection of fighter planes and helicopters. Sometimes he mounts machine guns on them, including miniguns, and does strafing runs out on his land in the desert because he can.

didn't know that one though!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

It's tough being Iran. And Steve from facebook.

only americans are allowed to have nukes you unpatriotical scum

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Buying an old mig and shooting up a bunch of cars sounds pretty fun if I was a rich billionaire.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah I know you can buy old ones, and

Actually, you can't. If you read the 1986 ban, they allow ownership but prohibit the transfer to other civilians. So, once you blow out the barrel on your M60, you're hosed.

However...

yeah i know it only banned new ones, and yeah i've seen youtube videos of guys burning through tens of thousands of dollars of minigun ammo in a few seconds. i didn't really want to get into detail because it doesn't really change anything i said, there was still stupid outrage when the machine gun law went into effect, and "you can buy an antique artillery piece or an antique machine gun if you're ultra-wealthy" is kinda beside the point.

The stuff you're seeing on Youtube are usually from guys who have FFA dealers/manufacturers licenses (or under supervision of the owner who has one), since one of the things you do if you're trading or making guns is demonstrate them to potential buyers. Class III FFA holders do trade to law enforcement or military contractors, but most people who hold a FFA license only do it to shoot automatic weapons legally. It also costs something like $1000 per year for that privilege.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Actually, you can't. If you read the 1986 ban, they allow ownership but prohibit the transfer to other civilians. So, once you blow out the barrel on your M60, you're hosed.

Then how did Rick from Pawn Stars buy a goddamn cannon :colbert:

Young Freud posted:

The stuff you're seeing on Youtube are usually from guys who have FFA dealers/manufacturers licenses (or under supervision of the owner who has one), since one of the things you do if you're trading or making guns is demonstrate them to potential buyers. Class III FFA holders do trade to law enforcement or military contractors, but most people who hold a FFA license only do it to shoot automatic weapons legally. It also costs something like $1000 per year for that privilege.

I mean the one I specifically was thinking about mentioned in the description that it was "one of the grandfathered-in miniguns" but yeah I figured people get the license just to play with the things as well.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
This is Ammon Bundy's lawyer. I couldn't find the original conversation but the Bundy Ranch page has shared posts made by an account with the same avatar and name.

Which is this section:

The Constitution posted:

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

Oh man, I hope the federal government remembered to outline which lands it did and did not own when it annexed Oregon. That would be really embarrassing if they forgot.

Also I just realized the Founding Fathers put a sarcastic winky smiley face in that clause. They truly did foresee the future and intend for their to be relevant at all points in time. Like God, or Harry Seldon. ;--A

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

um a bird sanctuary is not a building :smug:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Then how did Rick from Pawn Stars buy a goddamn cannon :colbert:

I had to look, but if you're talking about the Hotchkiss repeating gun, that exists largely because of the vagaries of BATFE laws. Supposedly, it can be owned and transferred because it doesn't feed or reset it's mechanism through internal operation or an independent motor but through manual operation. That's the difference between the old timey hand-cranked Gatling guns and gas- or recoil-operated machineguns and electrically-cranked miniguns (which, if you see those in most TV programs like Mythbusters, those are on loan from Dillon Aero, a minigun manufacturer).

That loophole in BATFE regulations is why monstrosities like this exist...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH2xsQcIUYI

If it's the signal cannon, black powder muzzle-loaders have been legal for decades now. It's only when you start buying breech-loaders like what the military uses where you start running into needing BATFE approval. And even there, the shells themselves are often considered "destructive devices" if they contain anything but metal and/or paint, so you start having to have an extra $200 tax stamp added on to each shell you buy.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Your honor, the defense concedes that Corvus brachyrhynchos, or the American Crow, migrates through the refuge. And that your court has authority in matters relating to maritime law. But can you prove that my clients ever set foot in the crows' nest? Or can you prove that my clients are the same sea vessels listed on their berth certificates?

Check and.. *hushed whispering* I win at chess. Heh, almost acknowledged myself as being part of the maritime citizenboat that your court has jurisdiction over. Nice try, judge.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/HGTomato/status/702354782455930880

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

quote:

FBI done processing evidence at Malheur refuge, prosecutors say

The FBI on Tuesday completed processing crime scenes at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge and has turned over control of the federal sanctuary to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, federal prosecutors said.

Defense lawyers and their investigators in the federal conspiracy case can visit the refuge between noon Thursday and 5 p.m. Friday, escorted by federal officers, under the federal government's offer.

They will be able to take photos or video but won't be allowed to "remove or disturb any items,'' prosecutors said.

After the arranged visit, government employees "will begin the process of restoring'' the refuge site and preparing it to be opened to the public, according to Assistant U.S. Attorneys Ethan Knight, Geoffrey Barrow and Craig Gabriel.

Government's status report on evidence processing

Defense lawyers, in a joint motion filed last Friday, urged the court to halt the FBI activity until they could have their investigators monitor the FBI's processing of evidence at the refuge.

Ammon Bundy's lawyers argued, "The problem in this unique case is that the Government will not know what evidence at the scene is specifically favorable to Mr. Bundy as opposed to another co-defendant.''

Prosecutors initially anticipated the FBI work to last 21 days. It began Feb. 13. Last week, the FBI reported finding firearms, explosives, spoiled food and a trench of human feces at the bird sanctuary in Harney County.

According to an FBI news release Tuesday, the agents did a "tactical clearing'' of the refuge to make sure there was no one else there, performed bomb sweeps to identify any explosive-related hazards and brought in evidence teams from multiple FBI field offices to document and collect evidence related to potential crimes committed during the 41-day refuge occupation.

Forensic examiners from the Northwest Regional Computer Forensics Laboratory also went to the refuge to process computers and electronic devices. The FBI Art Crime Team worked with the Burns Paiute Tribe to identify and document any potential damage to the tribe's artifacts and sacred lands.

A hearing is scheduled at 10 a.m. Wednesday before U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown in Portland to discuss the defense lawyers' request for access to the refuge, and other matters, including the setting of a date for trial and arraignment of the defendants on the indictment.

Ammon Bundy, the leader of the Jan. 2 refuge takeover, is one of 25 defendants indicted on a single federal conspiracy charge, accused of impeding federal officers from working at the refuge during the occupation.

Bundy has said he went to the refuge to protest the return to prison of Harney County ranchers Dwight Hammond Jr. and his son, Steve Hammond ,and to demonstrate against the federal control of public land.

The FBI's forensic examination of the material collected may take months, according to the FBI.

"We know the impacts from the armed occupation of the refuge will live on in this community for some time. Today, though, we are able to bring some sense of closure to this chapter of the story," said Greg Bretzing, Oregon's FBI special agent in charge.

"I have come to know the people of Harney County quite well over the past few months. ... On behalf of the men and women of the FBI, I want to thank you for sharing your community with us and your patience as we have done the work that we needed to do."

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/02/fbi_is_done_processing_evidenc.html

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

jon: "i am not the person known as jon, I am the corporation known as myself"

lawyer: "yeah I quit"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Alan Smithee posted:

jon: "i am not the person known as jon, I am the corporation known as myself"

lawyer: "yeah I quit"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W_iok4UBLk

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

https://youtu.be/OfSkBONbDwA

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lol i didnt even know King of the Hill had a sovcit bit

of course it'd be dale

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

cumshitter posted:

This is Ammon Bundy's lawyer. I couldn't find the original conversation but the Bundy Ranch page has shared posts made by an account with the same avatar and name.

Which is this section:

Oh man, I hope the federal government remembered to outline which lands it did and did not own when it annexed Oregon. That would be really embarrassing if they forgot.

Also I just realized the Founding Fathers put a sarcastic winky smiley face in that clause. They truly did foresee the future and intend for their to be relevant at all points in time. Like God, or Harry Seldon. ;--A

This is AKA "The Enclave Clause" because it explicitly defines the limits of how much land the Federal government can have extrajudicial jurisdiction within the territory of a state. The Federal government can own and manage way more than 10 square miles of land because of the Property Clause, which is a whole other section of the Constitution.

I've gotten into a big argument with a self-proclaimed Constitutionalist about this issue when the Bundies were arrested, and they tried to claim that "for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;" was explicitly for forts and military stuff, even though it says "other needful buildings" and there are national parks & monuments all over the goddamn country. It's like a functionally illiterate religion.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Feb 24, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Young Freud posted:

I had to look, but if you're talking about the Hotchkiss repeating gun, that exists largely because of the vagaries of BATFE laws. Supposedly, it can be owned and transferred because it doesn't feed or reset it's mechanism through internal operation or an independent motor but through manual operation. That's the difference between the old timey hand-cranked Gatling guns and gas- or recoil-operated machineguns and electrically-cranked miniguns (which, if you see those in most TV programs like Mythbusters, those are on loan from Dillon Aero, a minigun manufacturer).

That loophole in BATFE regulations is why monstrosities like this exist...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH2xsQcIUYI

If it's the signal cannon, black powder muzzle-loaders have been legal for decades now. It's only when you start buying breech-loaders like what the military uses where you start running into needing BATFE approval. And even there, the shells themselves are often considered "destructive devices" if they contain anything but metal and/or paint, so you start having to have an extra $200 tax stamp added on to each shell you buy.

Yeah I was thinking of the signal cannon. Thanks for the gun lesson though :)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the gunchat has metastatised, someone put this one out of its misery too

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
anyone know how long till the next court dates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

cumshitter posted:

So Ammon Bundy "taught" his own lawyer how to read the Constitution?

This is like that old Mitch Hedberg joke: "I bought a belt to hold up my pants, but my pants have belt loops to hold the belt up. What's going on here? Who's the real hero?" Just replace belts with lawyers, pants with defendants, and he tells the joke with his pants around his ankles.