Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Jimb posted:

I just started playing again since the beta and as far as I can tell there are two groups running right now. WOL for IS mechs and GIRL for clan mechs. Groups are run from grabbing people in mumble and nobody cares which goon group you are in unless they are doing community warfare stuff.

Pretty much anyone can invite so just post your name. Take the invite even if it's not the group you want so you can at least grab the mumble info from the MOTD and take it from there.

In game name is the same as my forums name here, or I have platinum for private messages.

So much has changed holy poo poo. I had just maxed out my atlas pilot tiers before I quit too. So much exp lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Guessing there is no mech sale again this week. Why so cheap Russ?

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Raged posted:

Guessing there is no mech sale again this week. Why so cheap Russ?

He's mad people are calling him out on his bullshit and decided to further ruin his game.

edit:
From the Kodiak lore on MWO page:

quote:

Its surprising ability to hit bursts of sixty-four kilometers an hour while bringing to bear the massive power of an ultra-class autocannon 20 allows the Kodiak to surprise opponents with a powerful offensive attack.
Man who writes this poo poo. That bear wordplay is so weak and the whole c-uac20 description is redundant.
Not to mention no one actually considers the c-UAC20 to be any of those things...

TVDinna fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 24, 2016

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

TVDinna posted:

edit:
From the Kodiak lore on MWO page:

Man who writes this poo poo. That bear wordplay is so weak and the whole c-uac20 description is redundant.
Not to mention no one actually considers the c-UAC20 to be any of those things...

I can't tell if you're pretending to be retarded or not

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
MWO brings out the autism in everyone. :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pooncha posted:

MWO brings out the autism in everyone. :v:

The people who make Helios need an autism targeting module.

Or filtering. Hmmm.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Talking about Helios reminded me of something, though.

Maybe a way to improve TarComps would be to give the higher, heavier tiers some other benefit to make them worth using?

One tier can display a targeted robot's hitboxes of each section, colour-coded and/or highlighted over the robot like the way it did in UI1.0.

Another tier can do that, and list the armor/structure HP remaining in the section of the hitbox that the targeting reticule's hovered over.

And the heaviest tier (7?) can do all of the above, and on top of that, list the components inside the targeted section, and whether they are damaged or destroyed.

Just some back-of-the-napkin ideas v:shobon:v

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
look now, there are certain things in this game that can't be improved - sorry

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
If there was any kind of crosshair-bobbing while moving over mountains at 150kmh, targetting computers could reduce that.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Anyone else not able to connect to the game?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

Anyone else not able to connect to the game?

Yes me, cause im at work.
Which is boring, causing me to mech-tinker.

Since i have the Timber-D and need 2 more of those beautiful beasts, i think ill be going with the A next.
I was thinking about Laser Overdrive, cause the hardpoints dont allow too much fancy stuff (especially since im planning to use him and the D in the same dropship, so no omni-swapping).

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Since i have the Timber-D and need 2 more of those beautiful beasts, i think ill be going with the A next.
I was thinking about Laser Overdrive, cause the hardpoints dont allow too much fancy stuff (especially since im planning to use him and the D in the same dropship, so no omni-swapping).

Going to run really hot, really quick.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pooncha posted:

Maybe a way to improve TarComps would be to give the higher, heavier tiers some other benefit to make them worth using?

One tier can display a targeted robot's hitboxes of each section, colour-coded and/or highlighted over the robot like the way it did in UI1.0.

Another tier can do that, and list the armor/structure HP remaining in the section of the hitbox that the targeting reticule's hovered over.

And the heaviest tier (7?) can do all of the above, and on top of that, list the components inside the targeted section, and whether they are damaged or destroyed.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If there was any kind of crosshair-bobbing while moving over mountains at 150kmh, targetting computers could reduce that.

Getting a targeting computer to do things it actually is supposed to be able to do...

hahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Getting a targeting computer to do things it actually is supposed to be able to do...

hahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Maybe one could start with crosshair bobbing, and working their way up from there.
It feels a little strange that tapping space for JJs gives the crosshair an epileptic seizure, but 150kmh dont.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Pooncha posted:

:pgi: posted:

This caused any and all Acceleration, Deceleration, and Turn Rate Quirks to become non-functional, for every 'Mech that had such Quirks.

I rest my case.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Maybe one could start with crosshair bobbing, and working their way up from there.
It feels a little strange that tapping space for JJs gives the crosshair an epileptic seizure, but 150kmh dont.

Don't mechs have gyros to compensate for that?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

I dont know, i thought the gyros was for not falling over the moment he lifted a leg.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I dont know, i thought the gyros was for not falling over the moment he lifted a leg.

Thronde posted:

Exactly that.

A targeting computer is a massive recoil compensation and gun stabilization system that also has in-depth environmental condition calculations and target prediction algorithms that go above and beyond what's already included in a mech's targeting package.

Alternatively, it's just a bunch of generic mmo buffs.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 24, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Exactly that.

A targeting computer is a massive recoil compensation and gun stabilization system that also has in-depth environmental condition calculations and target prediction algorithms that go above and beyond what's already included in a mech's targeting package.

Alternatively, it's just a bunch of generic mmo buffs.

So it would really make a lot of sense to have a non-TC mech flail its crosshairs around, getting better with each level of TCs up to zero with teh type 7.
Which in turn means, well never see it happen, right?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So it would really make a lot of sense to have a non-TC mech flail its crosshairs around, getting better with each level of TCs up to zero with teh type 7.

You won't see it because they hate the idea of your guns going anywhere other than where you're trying to aim them. They dismissed ideas about stuff like cones of fire years back on the basis that they don't want player skill trumped by a game mechanic they can't influence.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

You won't see it because they hate the idea of your guns going anywhere other than where you're trying to aim them. They dismissed ideas about stuff like cones of fire years back on the basis that they don't want player skill trumped by a game mechanic they can't influence.

Which is why this game doesnt feels as "mech-y" as i would like it too.
Its a tad too fast, and too stable, and clean and...
I hoped it would play like living legends with up-to-date graphics :eng99:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Feels "mech-y" to me, considering every other mech game out there (Armored Core, Hawken, etc) give you mechs where you're boosting around with jets and twitch shooting. Literally flying in some cases.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Well, no. If you go by the in universe mechanics, bigger gun load outs need bigger targeting computers because they need bigger stabilization gear. A one ton targeting computer has the same net effect as a 5 ton unit. The only difference is the payload they're attached to.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stringbean posted:

Feels "mech-y" to me, considering every other mech game out there (Armored Core, Hawken, etc) give you mechs where you're boosting around with jets and twitch shooting. Literally flying in some cases.

Yes, but on the other hands its a world apart from, to repeat myself, Living Legends gameplay.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Well, no. If you go by the in universe mechanics, bigger gun load outs need bigger targeting computers because they need bigger stabilization gear. A one ton targeting computer has the same net effect as a 5 ton unit. The only difference is the payload they're attached to.

"would make sense" in a way that makes use of 7 different TCs i mean.
Somehow you need to explain a 7-ton computer.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

A seven ton computer

Why is it a seven ton computer

What are they shoving in there

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Yes, but on the other hands its a world apart from, to repeat myself, Living Legends gameplay.

On a whim. I watched a couple videos of Living Legends. But it moves just as fluidly as MWO. You sure this isn't a Rose-tinted glasses kind of situation?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

A seven ton computer

The necessary counterbalances and gyros to stabilize two AC/10s, 2 Large pulse lasers, and 3 ER medium lasers. A 7 ton clan TC can handle 30.5 to 35 tons of direct fire weapons.

Its a lot easier to stabilize 5 ER Mediums than it is to handle 3 gauss rifles.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

A.o.D. posted:

The necessary counterbalances and gyros to stabilize two AC/10s, 2 Large pulse lasers, and 3 ER medium lasers. A 7 ton clan TC can handle 30.5 to 35 tons of direct fire weapons.

Right but they're all stable in this game

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Maybe it would have been better to make just 1 single slot single ton TC and attach it to whatever weapon you wanna stabilize.
Kind of like how you put heatsinks in engines.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I remember somehow figuring out how to install MW2 Mercs on a modern PC a few years back and the cursor bounced around a lot- like a good 10-15 degrees at top speed.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

On the subject of omnipods. You don't have to switch out omnipods, you can buy extra omnipods. It's possible to run 3 of the same Timber loadouts using different CT.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I remember somehow figuring out how to install MW2 Mercs on a modern PC a few years back and the cursor bounced around a lot- like a good 10-15 degrees at top speed.

Perhaps this would explain the staggering proportion of players who find it necessary to come to a complete standstill before firing their two medium lasers at targets 100m away.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

On the subject of omnipods. You don't have to switch out omnipods, you can buy extra omnipods. It's possible to run 3 of the same Timber loadouts using different CT.

Yes i know, but i struggle to buy the mechs i want, not to speak of extra omnipods on top (or artemis).
Once i have 3 timbers and 3 crows, i swear ill go for a few artemis systems.
I didnt even know that in addition to the mech upgrade and the ammo upgrade you have to buy the upgraded launchers extra.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You should just use 4 LPL and a range mod instead.

Fil5000 posted:

Yet tonnage is practically the only metric that determines who will win the match in random play.

ZenVulgarity posted:

A seven ton computer

All of the 80's is inside each one, the giant hair is especially heavy.

Washout fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 24, 2016

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Flamer is still good, guys.

So good.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

The Saddest Robot posted:

Flamer is still good, guys.

So good.

lights with flamers are shockingly good at fighting streakboats

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

My crow with 6 flamers and 4 asrm6 is pretty good.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Just in case you need another mediocre player, I'm CmdrJameson in game. I've been playing on and off for a while, but pugs just aren't fun anymore. Have a couple mechs by now, IS only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

ElPez posted:

Just in case you need another mediocre player, I'm CmdrJameson in game. I've been playing on and off for a while, but pugs just aren't fun anymore. Have a couple mechs by now, IS only.

As long as you don't play without a mouse then you are already better than most pubbies.

• Locked thread